I got a phone call late last week from VZW. They were calling to tell me that I'm eligible for a new phone and wanted to discuss my options. In an irritated tone I told them that they currently have nothing that I'm interested in. The VZW rep sounded surprised and said they have a number of BB's that might interest me.

I then proceeded to list every one of them and told him why I wasn't interested. Bottom line I said was the form factor. The Storm didn't have a keyboard, the Tour, Curve, 8830 were too big and the Flip was a flip.

I told him I have the Pearl and want to stay with the small form factor so unless he had something that I wasn't aware of then I wasn't interested.

He then proceeded to tell me that something was on it's way. Yeah right, so I started grilling him. He finally claimed within a few months a BB was going to be released that would have a form factor that I personally would like.

He wouldn't get more specific but he led me to believe a better Pearl was coming. I'm not sure if he was pulling something out of his @$$ to placate an 18 year customer of VZW or if he really knew what he was talking about.

After seeing this post refer to an updated Pearl as potentially the Stratus, I'm thinking he may have been telling the truth.

Would love to see an updated Pearl! Anyone else?
    07-29-09 02:01 PM
    Had a RIM rep in the store the other day that commented on a possible slider pearl coming out. That could be what your VZW rep was referring to.
    07-29-09 02:08 PM
    A slider Pearl would be slick! Maybe something like the Pre? Even if it wasn't a touchscreen I would really be interested.
    07-29-09 02:24 PM
    Not too sure if it'll be touchscreen. The rep didn't comment. I'm assuming it'll just be slider sure type.
    07-29-09 02:26 PM
    Any idea on timing?
    07-29-09 02:28 PM
    unfortunately not. He just quickly mentioned it and wouldn't comment more.
    07-29-09 02:30 PM
    From what I've been able to find the Stratus is the new Pearl 3G. But it's a GSM device scheduled to go to AT&T.Couldn't find a CDMA version.Certainly not one coming in the next couple of months.Though I'm sure eventually VZW will get a version.
    07-29-09 02:49 PM
    I think he may have just been humoring you for the time being. He might be a fellow Crackberrian, and have no more knowledge than the rest of the people around here!
    08-01-09 01:36 AM
    Man the Stratus name has been floating around the web for 2 years now. I have yet to see any updated Pearls.
    08-09-09 09:19 PM
    A slider form factor? I'd rather just have RIM go to a nice bar form factor for the 3G Pearl, that mythical device. Sliders generally have middling build quality unless if it's a Nokia E-series.
    08-10-09 01:28 AM
    I think the Slider Pearl 3G is actually the best and only place RIM should do a "slider" variety.

That allows the Pearl form factor and Pearl keyboard to remain.. which will satisfy many Pearl users.. while adding the full qwerty slider will entice many more and only add to the phone..

I don't expect build quality to detract too much.

Personally I will be moving to the 2nd gen Tour (9650 with wifi) but I think a Pearl slider will be a great phone.
    08-10-09 02:22 PM
    A slider 3G Pearl would be the logical evolution of the series. It has been candy bar, flip, and now (?)

Of all the Berrys, the Pearl line best lends itself to different form factors. The only foreseeable downside would be all these different form factors (flip, slide) would lend themselves to possible new problems, not that my Pearl 8130 has any problems.

I'm like a proud parent, my child is PERFECT! HA!

Long live BlackBerry!
    08-12-09 08:41 AM
    I really would prefer a bar, I am sitting on an 8100 holding off upgrading to the 8130 wishing for a new model in the series.

They're just so nice n clean!
    08-12-09 07:53 PM
    id consider a slider pearl, or even an updated pearl with better memory/processor, wanted one over my curve anyway but the limited space stopped me.
    08-12-09 09:19 PM
    i prefer the pearls suretype. i text fastest with that layout
    08-13-09 02:11 AM
    the advantageous i can see is a slider pearl could take advantage of the flips better screen qualities, without the ridiculous footprint the flip presents when open. . .interested to see what they decide, i know my wife would trade her pearl for this config.
    08-17-09 12:15 AM
    what are the odds that this version of the pearl might come in as a hybrid touchscreen/trackball or even touchscreen/trackpad?
    08-17-09 04:37 AM
    It would definitely make sense for RIM to come out with a slider. When the pearl flip came out, flips were the most popular phone style. Now that sliders are pretty popular it would make perfect sense for RIM to come out with a slider for the masses.
    08-23-09 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD