11-08-13 10:49 AM
52 123
tools
    Remember when everyone was like: OH UBUNTU! UBUNTU!
    Well, here they are with 8 days left, and 22 million short of their goal. *slow applause*
    I'm not interested in Ubuntu at all. For some reason, it just don't do anything for me. And I'm the type of person that owns Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 8 smartphones and am looking forward to buying a Jolla and Mozilla smartphone.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-19-13 06:57 AM
    Is it possible to buy the first Jolla Sailfish phone in the US, new from Jolla?

I keep seeing people mentioning that they pre-ordered one, but I must have missed that news. I'd like to buy one if possible.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    The first devices to be sold will be the ones to people who placed pre-orders, and those have been closed about 1-2 months ago.

What i've read is pre-orders from 118 countries have been paced.
    Other than pre-orders receiving a t-shirt and a contest not much news has been available alas.

I'm eagerly awaiting my pre-order and hope it will arrive b4 christmas holiday season.

How sales and locations go after pre-order releases I don't know, I think online sales.

Like mentioned here, it's not going to threaten BB. It's a fanphone for now containing mostly of meego fans I imagine (like me).
    I personally went for the Z10 because it has lots of Meego Harmattan (Nokia N9) smilarities.
    08-21-13 04:31 AM
    the only thing that matters here is that if this device is cheaper then a bb10 device. it'll beat BlackBerry if that's the case.

douevenCB10?
    08-21-13 05:11 AM
    I don't know if eventually Jolla could hit BlackBerry market share. I believe they can find the way to be an important player in a short time, much like chinese Xiaomi.
    BlackBerry's OS and software it's now linked to the future of the company and everything might happen. From getting bigger support and markeing to disappear completely and remain in the form of patents that are going to be used from some other OEM or software company as Microsoft, IBM or others.
    08-21-13 09:10 AM
    08-21-13 09:26 AM
    It looks like they ripped off the BlackBerry flow but skirted the patent by making it vertical instead of horizontal. It looks very nice and modern, but I'll keep my Z10.
    lol, i'd say that BB ripped off the Nokia N9's multitasking and UI.

as jolla is the ******* stepson of Meego (N9), who is ripping off who?
    Djlatino and Plebe Mayor like this.
    08-23-13 01:41 PM
    Dont think it will compete with bb10, windows, android or apple
    08-31-13 06:04 PM
    I think it's a great idea, and perhaps the way this is a "fan phone" is the kind of niche market play the team at BlackBerry have been alluding to. It's obvious that this phone would have scale issues that would prevent it from reaching the wider market place, but that may not necessarily be a problem if that's not who is their target market.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    09-03-13 07:03 PM
    If BlackBerry has a mountain to climb Jolla has a whole mountain range to cross. As of now they have 0 users.

I like them and I hope they succeed. I think they are the best of the upcoming OS's (Firefox, Tizen and Ubuntu).

Posted via CB10
    danprown and eldricho like this.
    09-16-13 07:45 AM
    If BlackBerry has a mountain to climb Jolla has a whole mountain range to cross. As of now they have 0 users.

I like them and I hope they succeed. I think they are the best of the upcoming OS's (Firefox, Tizen and Ubuntu).

Posted via CB10
    No, Jolla has few millions of MeeGo and Maemo users, plus many Linux fans like the OS. Of course it's not a scale of BlackBerry, but the later looses customers with enormous speed.

Posted via CB10
    Plebe Mayor likes this.
    09-17-13 09:14 AM
    I'm not sure if there are still millions of Maemo / MeeGo users.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 07:05 PM
    I thought everybody already knew. The biggest threat to BB10 was BB10.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    09-26-13 03:34 PM
    Meego had millions of users?
    How many n9 were sold?
    It was even discontinued before the launch
    And the n900 couldn't even do voice calls because Nokia feared it could cannibalize symbian

Posted via Z10
    09-26-13 06:57 PM
    Meego had millions of users?
    How many n9 were sold?
    It was even discontinued before the launch
    And the n900 couldn't even do voice calls because Nokia feared it could cannibalize symbian

Posted via Z10
    Maybe not millions, but I certainly loved my N9.
    It was discontinued as a way to push WP. Now, it was probably a good idea for Nokia, but they had spent a long time on it, I wish they would have pushed it and sold it in NA. Even in low numbers, it would have still been nice to see a Maemo flagship every 2 years or so.

My N900 makes excellent phone calls, what are you taking about?

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier
    09-26-13 08:47 PM
    The n900 wasn't an Internet surfing device? Maybe I confused it for another one. I read for a maemo phone that Nokia management intentionally crippled by removing the phone part

I didn't say the n9 was a bad phone, also I liked it, but, it was sold only in online stores (almost), with no marketing at all, and it was discontinued before sales.
    Who's going to buy a phone if the Ceo, before the launch, says that the platform won't be supported anymore?
    Seeing how much Nokia management hated Meego, I doubt they sold more than 100k units (the rumored 2 millions are impossible, it can't have sold more than the Lumia 700, which had a massive marketing, was in most stores and you could actually see people using it on the streets)

Posted via Z10
    09-27-13 01:50 AM
    5-7 year prediction. To find a reason to have 8+ cores on a mobile phone, and 128GB flash memory, phones will have the ability to install multiple OS's to same phone, at the same time. At first it will be dual boot, but then someone will be able to make the other OS go to sleep and be available with some future gesture (snap fingers), thereby being able to have all the features from two or more OS's without having to be on one platform.
    09-27-13 02:58 AM
    5-7 year prediction. To find a reason to have 8+ cores on a mobile phone, and 128GB flash memory, phones will have the ability to install multiple OS's to same phone, at the same time. At first it will be dual boot, but then someone will be able to make the other OS go to sleep and be available with some future gesture (snap fingers), thereby being able to have all the features from two or more OS's without having to be on one platform.
    Yeah I can so see Apple and Google wanting to do this....

What might be best for users, is not always best for manufactures so we will never see this. And realistically WHY would the average user want to do this. SIMPLE is usually better.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 09-27-13 at 03:19 PM.
    09-27-13 09:47 AM
    Yeah I can so see Apple and Google wanting to do this....

What might be best for users, is not always best for manufactures so we will never see this. And realistically WHY would the average user want to do this. SIMPLE is usually better.
    Simple is not usually better. It may be easier, but not necessarily better, though that is subjective. I've seen enough comments about people that would buy a Surface tablet IF the bootloader wasn't secure, people would likely figure out how to dual boot it with Ubuntu or Android. Why? Because now you have the power of two major operating systems! If the Surface 2's boot loader was broken, you can bet that they would sell like hotcakes based on the hardware having more functionality than an ipad for cheaper.

Google and (especially) Apple wouldn't do this. But all the smaller players (like the one in this thread?) who want to get in on the action will need to to build up their ecosystem, which takes a LOT of time and money. The ubuntu solution talked about dual booting with Android. Other OS's like FireFox or anyone else that wants to be open source would likely be open to it. MFG's that don't make money on the OS but make money on the hardware will not have a problem, so long as they don't have Android agreements (Acer..). Having a solution that "bridges the gap" is HOW you would have to launch a new OS and expect it to gain traction.

Having only two major players would suck and should be prevented. They get stale and comfortable and stop innovating. Having choice is great. The world isn't full of just iOS users who want "simple". They want experiences that truly make things easier and better. That is not going to come from a singular OS, and if you can get all the features and apps that you want, why the hell not?

If you still don't think there is a need, then don't forget that CPU makers NEED a reason for you to buy newer, faster, less power, more core's CPU's. They'll make the market. I can certainly see someone like Samsung being able to put out an 8 core CPU with dual booting operating systems. You are aware they've been working on other OS's for years, despite being connected to Android at the hip?
    09-27-13 04:20 PM
    I will say one thing. I am willing to bet that the first Jolla Sailfish smartphone won't be as large of a commercial failure as the Z10 turned out to be. Sailfish may or may not overtake BB10's market share, but I can guarantee you that Jolla won't end up sitting on a billion dollars worth of unsold units of their first Sailfish smartphone.
    09-29-13 08:17 AM
    That's because they did pre orders. They know how many units to manufacture.
    BlackBerry instead did a wrong analysis, they built millions of Z10

Posted via Z10
    09-29-13 02:16 PM
    The n900 wasn't an Internet surfing device? Maybe I confused it for another one. I read for a maemo phone that Nokia management intentionally crippled by removing the phone part

I didn't say the n9 was a bad phone, also I liked it, but, it was sold only in online stores (almost), with no marketing at all, and it was discontinued before sales.
    Who's going to buy a phone if the Ceo, before the launch, says that the platform won't be supported anymore?
    Seeing how much Nokia management hated Meego, I doubt they sold more than 100k units (the rumored 2 millions are impossible, it can't have sold more than the Lumia 700, which had a massive marketing, was in most stores and you could actually see people using it on the streets)
    Posted via Z10

Wow, you discuss devices you've never used. For you information: n900 was a great mobile computer with a standard set of phone functionality. It could make calls, Skype was integrated into OS, and many other great things could be said about this device. N9 was sold several millions (those are not rumors, it's just Nokia tried to hide embarrassing first quarters of WP7 sales) And yes, there are still millions of those who not just have but use the phone (n9 or n950). You see, not all people need Instagram, Netflix and other popular apps on their phones.
    09-30-13 04:42 AM
    Rumors said the N9 sold more than all the first Lumias combined in the first year.
    That's really impossible

While the N9 was a really good phone (I considered to buy it, i liked it), it wasn't marketed at all, it's impossible that they have sold 2 million phones as the rumor says.
    Their management even wouldn't had approved to manufacture all of those devices, their focus was on Symbian, otherwise Elop wouldn't have said that the platform was dead before launching it.
    The management hated it, and they did their best to make it fail

Look at the Z10, even if BlackBerry spent 1.2 BILLIONS in marketing, they sold around 5 million devices.
    If a phone with ZERO marketing and that was discontinued a week before the launch can sell all of those units, they would be idiots if they continued to be on WP7 or even Symbian
    09-30-13 05:59 AM
    Rumors said the N9 sold more than all the first Lumias combined in the first year.
    That's really impossible
    While the N9 was a really good phone (I considered to buy it, i liked it), it wasn't marketed at all, it's impossible that they have sold 2 million phones as the rumor says.
    Not very trustable, since he is pretty pro-old-Nokia
    Bloomberg, looks like an average estimate of many analysts

Their management even wouldn't had approved to manufacture all of those devices, their focus was on Symbian, otherwise Elop wouldn't have said that the platform was dead before launching it. The management hated it, and they did their best to make it fail
    With Nokia's power of producing millions of phones every quarter, couple of millions for China and India would be a small drop in a sea Plus, the MeeGo project was in too advanced state when burning memo bit Elop's arse.

Look at the Z10, even if BlackBerry spent 1.2 BILLIONS in marketing, they sold around 5 million devices.
    If a phone with ZERO marketing and that was discontinued a week before the launch can sell all of those units, they would be idiots if they continued to be on WP7 or even Symbian
    Holly Molly, where the hell those money went to? I've never seen any ads here in Netherlands. Plus, to be honest, BB10 ads really sucked, boring, no eye catching messages. Instead they could just give Z10 for free every current bb user to get a better result-for-money ratio.
    10-01-13 07:13 AM
    Holly Molly, where the hell those money went to? I've never seen any ads here in Netherlands. Plus, to be honest, BB10 ads really sucked, boring, no eye catching messages. Instead they could just give Z10 for free every current bb user to get a better result-for-money ratio.
    In my country (Italy) I saw some ads, Q5 in magazines, Z10 in stores, Q10 on TV, but I totally agree that the ads were boring and not catchy at all. Also agree that they could have done a "swap your bb for a z10 for $50" and have had a better result
    10-01-13 09:54 AM
    Clumsy.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 12:02 AM
52 123