The new Touch-Enabled Keyboard on the Passport is impressive and innovative already, but has BlackBerry shown all of its cards yet?

I wonder if it would be possible for them to integrate a fingerprint reader into this keyboard. Adding all the various security benefits this achieves. Additional features we can dream about and there are many possibilities which have not been explored yet.

I am not incredibly knowledgeable on the technology at work here but is this a possible feature based on the abilities/restraints of the hardware involved? Apologies if this has been discussed before but I don't recall it ever being mentioned.

BB for Life
    10-01-14 06:32 PM
    Can't be done using the technology there, but I think BlackBerry has already noted that Fingerprints are not secure. There are alternative ways that are more secure and better suited for this purpose.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 06:49 PM
    There is nothing secure about using your finger print - something you literally leave everywhere you go - as a security token for access to your phone.

It's a gimmick, and unless the systems are improved it will not be very pragmatic.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:21 PM
    It is slightly gimmicky, but realistically, with software designed for only very accurate readings of your fingerprint, how is it not secure? I'm talking a whole thumb scan, not a small fragment like others are doing. This is for protection against random strangers finding your phone, your child making purchases, or friends/family trying to snoop. These are the everyday security threats, and they won't be doing any CSI tricks to fake your fingerprint. If your talking about police getting into your phone, maybe you need to change your life path.
    Without intending any attitude, how is this not a good security feature, I don't use a password on my phone, but I would appreciate having this feature, especially if it allowed me to one touch make purchases, or automatically enter passwords for website logins by scanning my thumb

BB for Life
    10-02-14 03:47 PM
    He said you leave your fingerprint everywhere, this is like leaving your password everywhere. Whole or partial thumbprint or not you can get whole thumb print probably from a door knob.
    Check out " NOVA | Rise of the Hackers "
    10-02-14 03:53 PM
    I find finger print scanners usefulness to depend on the implementation. A system like Touch ID would be awesome, just put your finger on and unlock. If it's a swipe style one like Samsung has implemented, count me out.
    10-04-14 04:05 PM
    Yeah I would want to see it implemented as just put your thumb down on a section of the keyboard, and the whole thumb is scanned, quickly of course. This would be a great feature for NFC one touch payments, unlocking your phone, entering saved passwords at various websites, and even enabled to make purchases through BB World, Amazon etc.

Personally, as someone who does not ever lock my phone, as it's never out of reach unless in a secure place (within my home) I am not really concerned about the physical security of it, and feel that this scanner would save me a lot of time and frustration in entering passwords mainly, and would make me more inclined to try things like NFC payments. I find it more plausible that someone who gets a hold of my phone would be able to guess my password, then to mock my fingerprint to gain access

BB for Life
    10-05-14 03:26 PM