01-14-11 02:42 PM
50 12
tools
    Why do keep heating VZW and Sprint owners keep wishing for a CDMA Torch when it was developed in partnership with AT&T, a GSM carrier? VZW, in particular, has made it clear that the Droid is their flagship and have clearly moved away from RIM devices.
    12-01-10 08:30 PM
    With Verizon moving to LTE, will they not also become a GSM carrier into 2012?

All the Carriers in Canada have moved from CDMA to HSPA and are moving to LTE in the transition all are becoming GSM carriers
    LTE is for the 4G network, but 4G won't be available in all areas (I'm sure YOU know). So if you aren't in a 4G-covered area, the signal drops to 3G, which is still CDMA. Following that logic, won't VZW still be CDMA for it's 3G network?
    12-02-10 02:17 AM
    With Verizon moving to LTE, will they not also become a GSM carrier into 2012?

All the Carriers in Canada have moved from CDMA to HSPA and are moving to LTE in the transition all are becoming GSM carriers
    They will become a GSM carrier in the sence that they are deploying a system that the GSM body has embraced for 4G, but the system won't be backwards compatible with 3G GSM.

HSPA and LTE are two totally different technologies. HSPA and HSPA+ are an evolution of WCMDA (UMTS), where LTE and WiMax are based off of OFDM technology (in fact the First LTE test gear were WiMax base stations running different software). Verizon and Sprint both decided to jump directly to technology that will easier to upgrade to true 4G technology with their latest spectrum wins (WiMax to WiMax2, and LTE to LTE Advanced) and not upgrade their existing networks to EVDO Rev B and DO advanced which would have been simialr to HSPA. Verizon will have dual mode CDMA/LTE handsets and modems for a while, Sprint will have dual mode CDMA/WiMax handsets and modems for a while. Verizon will have just LTE on the 700 MHz spectrum. Sprint's Wimax is in the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. Canada hasn't even auctioned off the 700 MHz or 2.5 GHz spectrums yet, Australia is still using it for analog TV, Europe is freeing up the 800 MHz band when they go all digital TV. LTE and WiMax are going to be very fragmented frequency wise worldwide for some time. Verizon only has 22 MHz of the 700 MHz band and AT&T only has 12 MHz of the 700 MHz band so this will limit their LTE capabilities and growth near term. Eventually the 3G global GSM bands will become 4G, but this is a ways off from everything I've read.

Sprint had to deploy WiMax because it was the only thing available at the time and the FCC said that it had to start using the frequency by 2009. Clearwire has been testing LTE in the 2.5 Ghz spectrum and it was faster than anything Verizon could do now with their LTE spectrum. Sprint and Clearwire have both been throwing out the idea that they could deploy LTE with their frequency and aren't married to any technology, in fact they have so much of the 2.5 GHz spectrum (112.5 Mhz combined) they could deploy both Wimax and LTE at the same time if they wanted to (this is what I'm thinking they will do at some point). They have so much they could lease out some LTE spectrum space to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile and still have plenty for themselves.
    12-02-10 09:35 AM
    LTE is for the 4G network, but 4G won't be available in all areas (I'm sure YOU know). So if you aren't in a 4G-covered area, the signal drops to 3G, which is still CDMA. Following that logic, won't VZW still be CDMA for it's 3G network?
    In Canada the HSPA phones when not in a HSPA covered area DO NOT drop back to the CDMA network, they have Zero Signal, it was very frustrating when my company changed our phones to the New HSPA network because it covers 98% of the Canadian Population, but doesn't even cover 60% of the Canadian Geography!! so I go without signal on that phone all the time..

I very much wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happy with 4G and Verizon, you will have to make a choice based on coverage area.

They will become a GSM carrier in the sence that they are deploying a system that the GSM body has embraced for 4G, but the system won't be backwards compatible with 3G GSM.

HSPA and LTE are two totally different technologies. HSPA and HSPA+ are an evolution of WCMDA (UMTS), where LTE and WiMax are based off of OFDM technology (in fact the First LTE test gear were WiMax base stations running different software). Verizon and Sprint both decided to jump directly to technology that will easier to upgrade to true 4G technology with their latest spectrum wins (WiMax to WiMax2, and LTE to LTE Advanced) and not upgrade their existing networks to EVDO Rev B and DO advanced which would have been simialr to HSPA. Verizon will have dual mode CDMA/LTE handsets and modems for a while, Sprint will have dual mode CDMA/WiMax handsets and modems for a while. Verizon will have just LTE on the 700 MHz spectrum. Sprint's Wimax is in the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. Canada hasn't even auctioned off the 700 MHz or 2.5 GHz spectrums yet, Australia is still using it for analog TV, Europe is freeing up the 800 MHz band when they go all digital TV. LTE and WiMax are going to be very fragmented frequency wise worldwide for some time. Verizon only has 22 MHz of the 700 MHz band and AT&T only has 12 MHz of the 700 MHz band so this will limit their LTE capabilities and growth near term. Eventually the 3G global GSM bands will become 4G, but this is a ways off from everything I've read.

Sprint had to deploy WiMax because it was the only thing available at the time and the FCC said that it had to start using the frequency by 2009. Clearwire has been testing LTE in the 2.5 Ghz spectrum and it was faster than anything Verizon could do now with their LTE spectrum. Sprint and Clearwire have both been throwing out the idea that they could deploy LTE with their frequency and aren't married to any technology, in fact they have so much of the 2.5 GHz spectrum (112.5 Mhz combined) they could deploy both Wimax and LTE at the same time if they wanted to (this is what I'm thinking they will do at some point). They have so much they could lease out some LTE spectrum space to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile and still have plenty for themselves.
    THAT is excellent info,
    I do hope that Verizon pushes company's for dual band CDMA/LTE phones, I would love to See that come as Bell moves from HSPA to CDMA/LTE, I really miss having CDMA coverage
    12-02-10 09:42 AM
    THAT is excellent info,
    I do hope that Verizon pushes company's for dual band CDMA/LTE phones, I would love to See that come as Bell moves from HSPA to CDMA/LTE, I really miss having CDMA coverage
    Bell, and the other carriers would probably do an HSPA/LTE rollout if they are all running HSPA now. HSPA is seeing a lot of growth because of LTE availability and that it is an evolution of the existing 3G GSM networks. The frequency thing is going to be a mess for a while.
    12-02-10 09:50 AM
    Bell, and the other carriers would probably do an HSPA/LTE rollout if they are all running HSPA now. HSPA is seeing a lot of growth because of LTE availability and that it is an evolution of the existing 3G GSM networks. The frequency thing is going to be a mess for a while.
    I don' know about the smaller carriers, but Bell and Telus are using equipment that only needs minor modifications to be LTE compatible. I wouldn't be surprised if when they make the switch they convert their entire HSPA network to HSPA/LTE.
    12-02-10 10:16 AM
    well from wat i read about the previews was lot less specs then wat i got with my torch, when it was finally released, so i think the Torch 2 has actually already been released
    12-02-10 03:00 PM
    I'm guessing we'll see a refresh of the Torch in the fourth quarter 2011.
    12-07-10 01:02 AM
    I would say most likely Q2 2011 - one of the new QNX devices rumored to be announced at WES(or whatever the big phone thing is in May).
    12-07-10 01:05 AM
    I'm pretty sure the only reason they came out with a Storm2 was because the first one was such a fail. The new Torch is functional and doesn't need any immediate updates to keep it at par with other competitive smartphones. I doubt they will release anything new until spring.
    12-16-10 12:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure the only reason they came out with a Storm2 was because the first one was such a fail. The new Torch is functional and doesn't need any immediate updates to keep it at par with other competitive smartphones. I doubt they will release anything new until spring.

Absolute nonsense. So, was the iPhone 2G a "fail" because they brought out the iPhone 3G exactly 1 year after?

Every phone goes through a cycle. Generally speaking, it's rare that a phone is updated within a year. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because I do believe the Torch 2 will come out within a year of the Torch 1.
    12-16-10 01:04 AM
    Absolute nonsense. So, was the iPhone 2G a "fail" because they brought out the iPhone 3G exactly 1 year after?

Every phone goes through a cycle. Generally speaking, it's rare that a phone is updated within a year. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because I do believe the Torch 2 will come out within a year of the Torch 1.
    I'm not entirely sure. My first inclination would be to agree because the knock on the Torch is that it has the same processor and screen resolution that RIM has used since the Bold 9000. But if RIM's plan is to put a QNX-based OS on new devices going forward, I'm not sure they would waste development effort on coming out with a refreshed Torch within a year. Don't get me wrong, I hope so because I get an upgrade every year with AT&T.
    01-04-11 10:28 AM
    Any idea when the next Torch may be coming out? Trying to wait for next Gen....ugh!
    sources have told me CES 2012. But you know what happens in 2012 so who cares right?
    01-04-11 10:34 AM
    What's needed for a new Torch? More memory, a better camera? All minor tweaks...until BB can get Netflix, ESPN3 and other actual functions what's the point?

I love my Torch and don't see a real need for an upgrade at this time.

BTW, would the Red and White Torches count as Torch 2?
    01-12-11 12:37 PM
    I do not think new colors count as a new phone! The Torch is a nice phone, but it is on a crappy network called AT&T. I would love to see the Torch on Verizon.

What's needed for a new Torch? More memory, a better camera? All minor tweaks...until BB can get Netflix, ESPN3 and other actual functions what's the point?

I love my Torch and don't see a real need for an upgrade at this time.

BTW, would the Red and White Torches count as Torch 2?
    01-12-11 01:05 PM
    A better screen and a better processor would make that phone a much better competitor
    01-12-11 03:57 PM
    I don't have any insider knowledge but I'm pretty sure the new Torch is coming sooner than anyone thinks. It'll have a second camera. Because there's at least 50 mirror apps waiting to be unleashed in the App World.
    01-12-11 04:32 PM
    Has anyone heard any updates about the Torch coming to Verizon any time soon? I don't want an iphone 4 or droid.....sighhhhhhh
    01-12-11 05:54 PM
    Next generation Torch = 2009 specs.
    01-12-11 06:08 PM
    Next generation Torch = 2009 specs.
    they could just save time and refurbish all the returned iphones and androids from the holiday season and just load OS 6 on them and boom, you got the new torch!
    01-12-11 09:17 PM
    01-13-11 12:33 PM
    Honestlyt though, is first half of 2011 a possibility?
    According to BGR, 3Q2011.
    01-13-11 03:07 PM
    Interesting.... sure wish it would just come to sprint so I wouldn't have to switch to ATT. I don't see what the big deal about sprint is I have coverage pretty much everywhere I go. Oh well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 03:08 PM
    I don't understand why everybody is excited about a phone, coming out 3Q2011 with only 512K in it? I thought 512K was the bare minimum needed for OS6? Will the faster processor mean you would not need more memory for it to run smoothly? Sounds like 2010 hardware in LATE 2011...AGAIN??
    01-13-11 03:15 PM
    I think alot of people are excited because they are hoping that it won't be on AT&T and come to another service provider. Also, people who don't have AT&T are probably excited about the touch screen/slider keyboard. I know I am..i have verizon...
    01-14-11 02:42 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD