11-16-18 10:28 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    Will we ever see something like this? I really miss the toolbelt...

Thoughts on a BlackBerry Athena Classic Edition?-blackberry-athena-classic-edition.jpg
    BlueOhSix, DWonder, phuoc and 8 others like this.
    04-12-18 07:55 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry Athena Classic Edition.jpg 
Views:	1644 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	435557
    I hope not. There is no need for the track pad
    pgg101 likes this.
    04-12-18 08:05 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry Athena Classic Edition.jpg 
Views:	1644 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	435557
    In my Blankman voice: "I'm in love". That is one gorgeous lookin phone. If the toolbelt (mainly trackpad ) worked properly on Android I would easily pay $1000 for this phone. I hope BlackBerry Mobile sees this and makes it :-)
    phuoc, skinnymike1, RK_BB and 3 others like this.
    04-12-18 08:44 PM
    I hope not. There is no need for the track pad
    There most definitely is a use for the trackpad and the whole tool belt.
    Just a personal choice and how people use it.
    I'd like to be able to pick up and end calls without having to look at my phone.
    I'd love having the precision and one handed comfort of the trackpad.
    Not to mention text editing with a trackpad is unparalleled.
    I am most definitely hoping BBM bring back the trackpad someday.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    04-12-18 10:32 PM
    I'd like to be able to pick up and end calls without having to look at my phone.

Well, bbmo won't be making devices for that small of a niche. I think you saw your last track pad on the classic
    04-12-18 10:36 PM
    Well, bbmo won't be making devices for that small of a niche. I think you saw your last track pad on the classic
    Fair enough. And they shouldn't be making a device for a very small niche. The reason why we may never see a slider.
    But I feel there are more chances of a toolbelt than a slider.
    Because of the aspect ratio, BBM anyway has the row of capacitative buttons which isn't part of the screen. They can very well replace that with a toolbelt.
    I am most definitely not expecting them to do it in the near future. But if they keep growing, maybe 3 odd years down the line they should try making one if they feel they can sell enough of it.

Carjackd and DWonder like this.
    04-12-18 10:40 PM
    I have to say I do enjoy a trackpad but haven't really thought of it much in the Android environment. I could take it or leave it, likely.
    04-12-18 11:14 PM
    As a former Classic user, I would love a tool belt. Just dreaming....
    DWonder and phuoc like this.
    04-12-18 11:36 PM
    With a capacitive physical keyboard, there is no need for a trackpad unless you really want to stretch your thumb over. Keep in mind the Classic is a smaller handset.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    04-13-18 01:16 AM
    With a capacitive physical keyboard, there is no need for a trackpad unless you really want to stretch your thumb over. Keep in mind the Classic is a smaller handset.
    The capacitative keyboard is only for scrolling through pages.
    A trackpad would also help in selecting action, opening apps etc. Also you could navigate throughout the phone without moving your thumb at all.
    The Classic is a smaller device no doubt but actually has a slightly bigger keyboard than the KEYᴼᴺᴱ. The KEYᴼᴺᴱ just has a bigger screen size so a toolbelt on a KEYᴼᴺᴱ form factor wouldn't mean stretching your thumb. It would be quite the opposite actually. It wouldn't make the device bigger either since it could replace the existing navigation row of buttons.

DWonder and phuoc like this.
    04-13-18 01:24 AM
    I donno if I want the trackpad, but those call keys are one I always love to have. And I really don't think adding one to the already available space is gona be hard for tcl.

Really wish they make this one day!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.3216
    tazcubed likes this.
    04-13-18 01:24 AM

04-13-18 01:48 AM
    I agree... I think BB Keyone + trackpack + BB Classic keabord+ a bit bigger screen and mobile would be the perfect BB. I would pay 1000 € for it... Tha trackpack is a powerful tool to edit text and other tasks. NO othe phone could compite....if you are looking for the most efficient mobile.. this would be the one.
    DWonder likes this.
    04-13-18 01:53 AM
    I agree... I think BB Keyone + trackpack + BB Classic keabord+ a bit bigger screen and mobile would be the perfect BB. I would pay 1000 € for it... Tha trackpack is a powerful tool to edit text and other tasks. NO othe phone could compite....if you are looking for the most efficient mobile.. this would be the one.
    I agree with everything except the price.
    Number of People willing to pay 1000€ for a BlackBerry can be counted on my fingers. So no point
    Also I don't think they need to charge that kind of money for the toolbelt.

04-13-18 02:37 AM
    Also I don't think they need to charge that kind of money for the toolbelt.
    True but the question is if they made the phone and charged $1000...would u buy it, comrade? Lol
    04-13-18 05:49 AM
    True but the question is if they made the phone and charged $1000...would u buy it, comrade? Lol
    Sure not. That phone could easily lack the latest processor, it could be too heavy, it could miss 3,5 mm jack etc. But I get your sarcasm.
    The actual problem is in implementing the trackpad. I doubt it would work well, especially in apps.
    Personally, I don't think I would use it too much. If BlackBerry keyboard had a magnifying glass when selecting the text via the touchscreen, there would be no need for the trackpad. And even if there was, I don't think the demand for this phone would be that bigger comparing the phone without it.
    That's the fanboy's point of view which usually stays far beyond the reality.
    04-13-18 06:02 AM
    Sure not. That phone could easily lack the latest processor, it could be too heavy, it could miss 3,5 mm jack etc. But I get your sarcasm.
    The actual problem is in implementing the trackpad. I doubt it would work well, especially in apps.
    Personally, I don't think I would use it too much. If BlackBerry keyboard had a magnifying glass when selecting the text via the touchscreen, there would be no need for the trackpad. And even if there was, I don't think the demand for this phone would be that bigger comparing the phone without it.
    That's the fanboy's point of view which usually stays far beyond the reality.
    I was asking AmritD because he made alotta valid points for the trackpad. And the $1000 was assuming the toolbelt / trackpad worked properly on Android. Of course we wouldn't buy it if it didn't, lol

And wut sarcasm? It was a serious question cuz I would pay that much for a new BlackBerry with a toolbelt without even thinkin about it, provided it functions how it's supposed to
    04-13-18 06:10 AM
    I was asking AmritD because he made alotta valid points for the trackpad. And the $1000 was assuming the toolbelt / trackpad worked properly on Android. Of course we wouldn't buy it if it didn't, lol

And wut sarcasm? It was a serious question cuz I would pay that much for a new BlackBerry with a toolbelt without even thinkin about it, provided it functions how it's supposed to
    My mistake.

Nonetheless, I really doubt the demand would be big enough. Everyone who sees my K1 for the first time asks me if it actually has touch screen. It's still way too early for it coming back (if it would), people still haven't realised that BlackBerry finally moved on from some archaic operating systems to Android.

If the PKB trackpad or selecting-text-on-screen worked better, there would be no need for that in total.
    04-13-18 06:14 AM
    My mistake.

Nonetheless, I really doubt the demand would be big enough. Everyone who sees my K1 for the first time asks me if it actually has touch screen. It's still way too early for it coming back (if it would), people still haven't realised that BlackBerry finally moved on from some archaic operating systems to Android.

If the PKB trackpad or selecting-text-on-screen worked better, there would be no need for that in total.
    No problem. And the trackpad not being needed is ur opinion. I'm not sure if you've ever used a Bold 9900 or Classic... but if u haven't is why u don't understand why it makes things so much easier. If u have used either and still feel the same I can't change ur mind and won't try. But the comments from people about moving on and leaving the Trackpad in the past is laughable. Just because something is old or dated doesn't mean it doesn't work better and isn't more efficient....for some I guess. That's like saying "now all touch screen phones MUST use a stylus for the touch screen". Would everybody just move on and forget how much easier using ur finger was?

We understand there is a small group of people that want the tool belt but they should think of how people they lost to lack of apps and toolbelts. Now that it maybe possible to have both, why not put one out there and see wut the reception is like?
    Smokeaire likes this.
    04-13-18 06:28 AM
    No problem. And the trackpad not being needed is ur opinion. I'm not sure if you've ever used a Bold 9900 or Classic... but if u haven't is why u don't understand why it makes things so much easier. If u have used either and still feel the same I can't change ur mind and won't try. But the comments from people about moving on and leaving the Trackpad in the past is laughable. Just because something is old or dated doesn't mean it doesn't work better and isn't more efficient....for some I guess. That's like saying "now all touch screen phones MUST use a stylus for the touch screen". Would everybody just move on and forget how much easier using ur finger was?

We understand there is a small group of people that want the tool belt but they should think of how people they lost to lack of apps and toolbelts. Now that it maybe possible to have both, why not put one out there and see wut the reception is like?
    I get your points. You don't seem get mine or even try to fully get into the problem to make some as-objective-as-possible summary.

There were once so many great things which were great. Toolbelt was nice. It would not, however, be so usable on Android.

-Apps wouldn't be optimised for that (noone is going to make extra support for one super-niche smartphone model).
    -Android requires those three buttons like K1 has
    -people would get confused and thought that there is still some pseudo OS running on that phone (they don't want any other OS apart Android/iOS)
    -it would be quite a extra costs
    -many other points
    the_boon likes this.
    04-13-18 08:15 AM
    Most definitely not.
    I wouldn't buy a phone for $1000.
    Don't think the trackpad is worth that price.

Smokeaire likes this.
    04-13-18 09:47 AM
    Although it makes for a good read here on CB about all the likes, dislikes, wants, and don't wants regarding the Athena renders and the 2 rumored PKB devices being released by TCL/BBMo... I'm afraid the design and manufacturing by TCL/BBMo is too far down the road for any of these comments to make a beans worth of difference.

I am more than ready to see an official announcement from TCL/BBMo regarding final design, release date/availability in North America U.S. and Canada, pricing, OS specifications, etc. of the 2 rumored PKB devices.

So TCL/BBMo, let's have an official announcement so all this speculation can be put to bed...

Bob
    phuoc likes this.
    04-13-18 01:33 PM
    OMG, world has gone crazy. Looking at my Q10, looking at this...sword...almost vomited.

Thousands of extra large phones and no descent compact phones. Shame on all of you that dislike variety!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-18 04:03 PM
    I'd love a phone like that if it were smaller. I like my Classic and not sure I want anything much larger.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-18 04:06 PM
    I wish we could get this. Too bad people are ignorant and don't understand how great a trackpad is for text editing and how nice having a physical call button is.

Pure touch is so inefficient and why I've never gotten a keyone.
    phuoc and DWonder like this.
    04-13-18 05:13 PM
85 123 ...