08-22-15 03:33 PM
167 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Why in the flying fuk haven't they utilised their hypervisor tech to give us the best of both? Full blown AOSP (themed to match the BB10 host UI) with Google Play Services optionally flashable (like how Samsung does it with Tizen) running under a QNX hypervisor alongside the BB10 host. Basic integration such as copy paste and notifications could easily be implemented but secure away from the BB10 host.

They can do this easily, I have no idea why they don't.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:22 AM
    Why in the flying fuk haven't they utilised their hypervisor tech to give us the best of both? Full blown AOSP (themed to match the BB10 host UI) with Google Play Services optionally flashable (like how Samsung does it with Tizen) running under a QNX hypervisor alongside the BB10 host. Basic integration such as copy paste and notifications could easily be implemented but secure away from the BB10 host.

They can do this easily, I have no idea why they don't.

Posted via CB10
    Time, resources, talent, market....

Does Hypervisor even exist yet?
    How long would it take to build an OS based on AOSP? Took three years with QNX....
    How long will Google allow access to their ecosystem? Hard to base your business on something out of your control.
    Where is Samsung selling Tizen devices? In markets where apps aren't a big thing.
    07-28-15 09:35 AM
    People who have an iphone or a note 4 have it all. Why can't we?
    why should i have to carry multiple devices just because they are BlackBerry devices? its about time they made one THAT IS IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I actually really enjoy having both. It's not that BlackBerry can't make a device that does it all. It's that what 'all' is for one, is not 'all' for everyone. (sorry for the broken 3 Musketeers reference).

The thing that I love most about the Passport (the beautiful and freaking huge sceen!) is what makes it also less ideal to carry around as a simple phone than the Z10. I'd probably prefer a Classic if I really wanted / needed just one device but I don't. I have the luxury of being able to carry two devices and they both serve different purposes.

...However, isn't that what this very thread is actually about? The one device that could change the need for two could be the Slider. However, I might be spoiled by the Passport now and the Slider might just be my 'phone' replacement, whereas my Passport doesn't have anything that can even come close. Maybe the next incarnation of the PlayBook... :P
    07-28-15 09:46 AM
    I actually really enjoy having both. It's not that BlackBerry can't make a device that does it all. It's that what 'all' is for one, is not 'all' for everyone. (sorry for the broken 3 Musketeers reference).

The thing that I love most about the Passport (the beautiful and freaking huge sceen!) is what makes it also less ideal to carry around as a simple phone than the Z10. I'd probably prefer a Classic if I really wanted / needed just one device but I don't. I have the luxury of being able to carry two devices and they both serve different purposes.

...However, isn't that what this very thread is actually about? The one device that could change the need for two could be the Slider. However, I might be spoiled by the Passport now and the Slider might just be my 'phone' replacement, whereas my Passport doesn't have anything that can even come close. Maybe the next incarnation of the PlayBook... :P
    4.5 inches is not freaking huge but the device is freaking wide.
    07-28-15 09:58 AM
    Apple propaganda.

Android is the most popular mobile OS on the planet.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-28-15 10:06 AM
    Time, resources, talent, market....

Does Hypervisor even exist yet?
    How long would it take to build an OS based on AOSP? Took three years with QNX....
    How long will Google allow access to their ecosystem? Hard to base your business on something out of your control.
    Where is Samsung selling Tizen devices? In markets where apps aren't a big thing.
    QNX hypervisor will be released for 2015 3rd quarter, just in the same period Slider will be launched

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:53 AM
    Android is incapable of the BB10 feel. So they better release a BB10 Slider or most if not all Z10 and Z30 owners are going to be really upset.
    extisis likes this.
    07-28-15 02:05 PM
    "Why can't we?" It's simply because there aren't enough of 'we' out there to justify making yet another BB10 full touch screen device. Actually, there's not enough of 'us' BB10 users out there to justify committing to any more BB10 devices that require significant effort (i.e. Not badge engineering rehashes like the Porsche line or the Dallas).

So, honestly your move to HTC for an all touch device is probably exactly what BlackBerry is planning for, hoping to meet you on the other side with some software.

Posted via CB10
    How so? 99.9% of the Industry want a Full Touch Smartphone. Chen knows this. Chen also knows most if not all Z30 and Z10 owners want a Full Touch high end BB10 replacement. Still waiting. Why did Passport and Classic not sell well? Because he's catering to a niche 0.1% market. Anybody to blame for bad BB10 sales is the companies CEO for garbage BB10 marketing and lack of full touch.
    lift and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-28-15 02:09 PM
    How so? 99.9% of the Industry want a Full Touch Smartphone. Chen knows this. Chen also knows most if not all Z30 and Z10 owners want a Full Touch high end BB10 replacement. Still waiting. Why did Passport and Classic not sell well? Because he's catering to a niche 0.1% market. Anybody to blame for bad BB10 sales is the companies CEO for garbage BB10 marketing and lack of full touch.
    I'm not going to argue about the garbage marketing but the full-touch alone is not going to fix sales. I don't have any facts to back this up but Z30 was probably their worst seller. And, if not the worst, surely not the best. And it was a pretty great all-touch device.

There are many variables involved but the fact that BlackBerry has some innovative PKB devices is a way to change the public perception of them. They need to regain relevance before anyone in the public really cares or pays much attention to what they do.

HTC makes great devices but their sales are nowhere near Samsung or Apple and they never will be. To the mass public, advertising is what sells devices. Not specs. If they invested a ton into advertising the Z30 and made a whole new batch of them, it would sell 100 x more than anything else that they release with no advertising. Specs don't make sales.
    anon(9169048) and neoberry99 like this.
    07-28-15 03:32 PM
    These are rumours. Period. Whoever works at BB and shows around the new phone like this is FIRED.
    And with job security as fragile as it is now, I don't think BlackBerry employees are showing their friends phones from work... especially those who work in a cell store.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    07-28-15 05:19 PM
    I had a Torch for sometime and loved the phone and if it wasn't for a friend who loaned me his Z10 to convert me over to BB10, I'd probably be still using it.

I'll be very disappointed if BlackBerry releases a slider or Torch with Android OS.

BB10 Slider or we Riot!!

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    acovey, BroncoVAL and TheBirdDog like this.
    07-28-15 05:21 PM
    Not quite. 99% do not want a BlackBerry device but of the 1% that might, I would suggest that the split might be 50/50. What seems to be happening on the consumer side is that sales of BB10 devices are trade ups by previous BB10 owners. BlackBerry needs to have an OS that appeals to current Android owners as BlackBerry can not grow sales of BB10 devices based on churning over of old to new devices.

Posted via CB10
    BeautyEh likes this.
    07-28-15 11:30 PM
    Apple propaganda.

Maybe so, But Android developers work hard to constantly churn out newer devices only for them to drop to $200 after a few months, While Apple just launches a new model once a year and sell a gimped two year old model for $550.

It's easy to look at one number and claim to know the truth bout everything, less so to actually be able to see and understand the whole picture.
    07-29-15 12:02 AM
    Apple propaganda.

Most bought does not equal most popular. Most of the world's smartphone buyers can not afford an $800+ iPhone. If you gave most people that buy cheap Androids in lower end markets the choice of a free high end Android or free iPhone, what are they most likely to pick up? Android ASP is around $254 for all phones sold. Apple is $654+-.

Posted via Z30
    07-29-15 09:57 AM
    I don't have any facts to back this up but Z30
    If Z30 was one of their worse sellers it's partly because of poor LTE bands for American carriers. AT&T's main LTE band was never available and only ONE of T-Mobile's LTE band's is available. If there was a Z30 with the same LTE and HSPA+ bands as the Z10 STL100-3 I would have bought a couple of them immediately. The STL100-3 Z10 has great LTE coverage for T-Mobile and AT&T in USA.
    extisis likes this.
    07-29-15 11:30 AM
    Most bought does not equal most popular. Most of the world's smartphone buyers can not afford an $800+ iPhone. If you gave most people that buy cheap Androids in lower end markets the choice of a free high end Android or free iPhone, what are they most likely to pick up? Android ASP is around $254 for all phones sold. Apple is $654+-.

Posted via Z30
    Most bought certainly does mean most popular. Price is a factor in making a choice that's why ford is more popular than ferrari.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    extisis likes this.
    07-29-15 12:26 PM
    Most bought certainly does mean most popular. Price is a factor in making a choice that's why ford is more popular than ferrari.

By that definition toilet paper is all the rage nowadays.
    07-29-15 02:55 PM
    Fail.

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    07-29-15 03:51 PM
    I think this Android-BlackBerry could work.

If the UI is as smooth and fluid as BB10 with the apps of Android. I'm all for it. That's exactly what I want.

Apps will guarentee many new users at least trying it out.

BlackBerry is also an iconic brand. Android is not doing so well against Apple since they don't have a goto device to try the Android waters with.

Samsung is ok, but their software is crap and frustratingly slow and bloated.

Tl;dr: BlackBerry with its iconic branding, UI fluidity, and now apps with Android. Can really take on Apple by riding with Android and it's ecosystem. But still bringing over what makes BlackBerry so good to us.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 04:28 PM
    I have a feeling that BlackBerry will drop the full touch phone and go with either just a slider or a slider and passport/classic as their 1 or 2 phones a year. Why produce a full touch when there are so many on the market and they just keep under cutting each other in price. Are the margins on a full touch even worth the R&D? I suspect not. I'd think the better play is to focus on those niche products that noone else builds and "high jack" other vendors handsets by selling the BlackBerry experience on their phones. This effectively turns all Android full touch into blackberry phones with no R&D on the hardware side.

This also makes sense on why they would focus on moving to android for at least a chunk of their operating system. Build and design once and you can roll it out to a much larger audience of phones. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-29-15 04:37 PM
    Whuh?

07-29-15 06:28 PM
    Don't even bother. Sales numbers equal popularity sometimes (VKB vs PKB devices) but other times they don't (iOS vs Android devices). Welcome to Apple Logic.

Posted via CB10
    -Puck- likes this.
    07-29-15 06:48 PM
    HTC makes great devices but their sales are nowhere near Samsung or Apple and they never will be. To the mass public, advertising is what sells devices. Not specs. If they invested a ton into advertising the Z30 and made a whole new batch of them, it would sell 100 x more than anything else that they release with no advertising. Specs don't make sales.
    The Fire Phone would disagree with you. Poorly spec'd screen (same as Z30), high price, lots of advertising, and a big failure.

Posted via Z30
    Bbnivende and lift like this.
    07-30-15 01:34 PM
    The Fire Phone would disagree with you. Poorly spec'd screen (same as Z30), high price, lots of advertising, and a big failure.

Posted via Z30
    Didn't the Fire Phone not have the Google store? That and only selling through one carrier doomed it (kinda like the Z30).

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 03:27 PM
    Didn't the Fire Phone not have the Google store? That and only selling through one carrier doomed it (kinda like the Z30).

Posted via CB10
    It was too expensive and reviewers bashed the screen size too. Phones with 1080 screens were the same price. Lack of Play Services didn't help, but it hasn't hurt Kindle sales too much.

Posted via Z30
    07-30-15 04:19 PM
167 ... 23456 ...