08-22-15 04:33 PM
167 1234 ...
tools
    Yes it's a rumor. Nothings official. This would be considered a leak.

Don't believe him if you don't want to. B1aze even said he saw BlackBerry employees with the new Dallas device at the security summit.

I believe it. There have been other users who reported toying or hearing about someone toying with this new slider.

Idk what to expect honestly. If love the thought of a BB10/Android mash up.

I know I love the BB10 UI (using the my Galaxy S5 is frustratingly slow just for going to home or switching between apps), and I also want the Google Play store apps.

More I hear about the BB10/Android, the more I'm starting to think it's a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 02:24 PM
    Yes it's a rumor. Nothings official. This would be considered a leak.

Don't believe him if you don't want to. B1aze even said he saw BlackBerry employees with the new Dallas device at the security summit.

I believe it. There have been other users who reported toying or hearing about someone toying with this new slider.

Idk what to expect honestly. If love the thought of a BB10/Android mash up.

I know I love the BB10 UI (using the my Galaxy S5 is frustratingly slow just for going to home or switching between apps), and I also want the Google Play store apps.

More I hear about the BB10/Android, the more I'm starting to think it's a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    Get a Nexus 6, you'll love Android to the fullest. Samsung is for all the followers honestly.

Posted with my Z10 and future Classic
    07-25-15 02:53 PM
    Curious why this thread is full of folks calling BS...where are the "I call BS" posts in the BS Reddit guy thread or the BS Twitter rumor thread?

I think it's all BS until we see some real pics/video of it. But one rumor isn't any more BS than another.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-25-15 03:09 PM
    The Passport wasn't running Android, so given the tiny BB10 audience (i.e. The only people that would even consider it), it probably did sell well considering how different it was.
    So an android BlackBerry slider is going to attract a bigger audience?? The audience for anything BlackBerry is small. The audience for a slider is even smaller. I don't care if it is running android, it will not help BlackBerry at all. As a matter of fact, the people that love BlackBerry devices (PKB or VKB) love them for the OS, which is BB10.
    I would never buy an android powered BlackBerry. Sorry, but there are waaaaaay too many other android manufacturer's out there and BlackBerry could never compete. Period.
    BlackBerry has a small but LOYAL segment of the market and they need to accept that and keep those people happy. If BlackBerry loses the loyal segment they have now, they are done.
    bigjman, JBoen and theone06 like this.
    07-25-15 03:23 PM
    The Slider running a full Android OS would have more appeal than the Passport.
    How? Most people are not interested in running PKB devices if you hadn't noticed. So just because all of a sudden there is a slider running android everyone is going to jump on it?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-25-15 03:26 PM
    The Passport wasn't running Android, so given the tiny BB10 audience (i.e. The only people that would even consider it), it probably did sell well considering how different it was.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't you mean "the tiny BB10 audience (the only people who know that Blackberry still is in existence)?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    lift likes this.
    07-25-15 03:33 PM
    How? Most people are not interested in running PKB devices if you hadn't noticed. So just because all of a sudden there is a slider running android everyone is going to jump on it?
    How do you know that most people aren't interested in running a PKB device? How many of those type of devices are available? When I first read about the Ryan Seacrest snap on BB type keyboard for iPhones I was hoping for one for my Android phones. I would have snap one up in heartbeat. It was the Passport with the PKB that brought me back to BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    07-25-15 03:41 PM
    Yeah, if I'm speaking to someone and they say that they spoke to someone about something... ive already stopped listening.

Unless I'm speaking to someone who has personally used the device, all information could be completely false and that person is just trying to get attention

We will all find out in about 2 months time!

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    07-25-15 03:44 PM
    So an android BlackBerry slider is going to attract a bigger audience?? The audience for anything BlackBerry is small. The audience for a slider is even smaller. I don't care if it is running android, it will not help BlackBerry at all. As a matter of fact, the people that love BlackBerry devices (PKB or VKB) love them for the OS, which is BB10.
    I would never buy an android powered BlackBerry. Sorry, but there are waaaaaay too many other android manufacturer's out there and BlackBerry could never compete. Period.
    BlackBerry has a small but LOYAL segment of the market and they need to accept that and keep those people happy. If BlackBerry loses the loyal segment they have now, they are done.
    Lol... the audience for any type of Android device is orders of magnitude larger than anything BlackBerry could dream of. Anyone other than a BlackBerry purist will not even consider it simply because they are already invested in the more ubiquitous platforms, and don't want to even have to wonder 'whether this or that app will work'.

There are plenty of folks out there that would like a physical kb, but it is simply not feasible to willingly sign themselves up for a handicapped platform (most work places don't even allow anything other than Android and iOS now).

Trust me,.. just the number of people that would 'accidentally or impulsively' buy an Android BlackBerry device will probably out number the abysmal sub 1 million BB10 count pushed in the last quarter.

I mean, you can always trick 1/4 of the population into buying junk (as long as they are aware of it and see it as low risk/effort),... when your population is the massive Android user base,.. it's hard to conclude that the numbers would NOT beat BB10 numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 03:45 PM
    I got together with a friend I have not seen in a few years. He moved to another area and was quite busy with life and so we lost touch until recently. He is in law enforcement and when he saw my BlackBerry he was amazed and said "they still make BlackBerry's"? It does not matter what OS BlackBerry chooses to put on their devices. Pretty much everyone thinks they are either out of business or still in business but don't make phones anymore. So how will suddenly putting android on any BlackBerry make people buy them? Carriers won't push them. They don't do it now, why would they do it later. BlackBerry doesn't advertise. With company's like Samsung and other giant android phone manufacturers, why would anybody suddenly choose a BlackBerry android? The logic of thinking android would "save" BlackBerry does not make sense.
    tanzarian likes this.
    07-25-15 04:00 PM
    I got together with a friend I have not seen in a few years. He moved to another area and was quite busy with life and so we lost touch until recently. He is in law enforcement and when he saw my BlackBerry he was amazed and said "they still make BlackBerry's"? It does not matter what OS BlackBerry chooses to put on their devices. Pretty much everyone thinks they are either out of business or still in business but don't make phones anymore. So how will suddenly putting android on any BlackBerry make people buy them? Carriers won't push them. They don't do it now, why would they do it later. BlackBerry doesn't advertise. With company's like Samsung and other giant android phone manufacturers, why would anybody suddenly choose a BlackBerry android? The logic of thinking android would "save" BlackBerry does not make sense.
    I don't think anybody's said an Android BlackBerry is guaranteed to succeed, or that it will save BlackBerry. But the logic behind it is simple...a BlackBerry Android may well be a failure; in fact I think that's more likely than not all things considered. But it has a better chance than BB10, which HAS failed commercially. What would you have them do? Realistically I mean...not some fantasy where BlackBerry launches a huge ad campaign or magically conjures up native versions of every Android/iOS app for folks to run.

Personally I'd prefer BB10, but I also like PKB devices so what I want and what the average consumer wants seem to be pretty much opposites.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-25-15 05:31 PM
    Because they want to try a physical keyboard again? And they would be able to... without having to forfeit their entire collection of Android apps and compatibility with social networks and/or work-mandated apps.

Sure,.. there may only be a few reasons for people to try it,.. but a few very huge reasons *NOT* to try it suddenly disappear.

Plus, simply the nostalgic ('oh how I missed thee, clickety keys... thanks for finally coming back to the future') media bandwagon that will undoubtedly follow confirmation of such a device,.. will probably have a much bigger awareness impact than any marketing BlackBerry could come up with (and much less afford).

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 05:52 PM
    And the $500ish Passport sold like hotcakes, right?

Posted from an ME173X
    It sold a lot more then they expected - it was sold out for weeks. PP was a niche device not meant to be mainstream. It sold very well for what it was.

Still my favorite phone to date...I may get the slider and swap back and forth depending where I'm going for when the PP form factor is a detriment.
    07-25-15 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry allready mention that the phone was coming out with BB10 and there is no evidence that it comes out with Android.

They did?
    07-25-15 06:53 PM
    For the people who are saying $500 is too much...

Is $500 too much for a high-spec BB10 device because it's running BB10? Possibly running Android? Just a price you wouldn't consider for your next smartphone given that their are cheaper high-spec Androids?

Anyone of these reasons mean that a high-spec full touch is pretty much doomed too. Basically, those advocating for a high-end full spec would have as much success as Chen's slider. A new high-end full touch would cater to the existing full touch BB10 users. A new slider would cater to some existing full touch BB10 users and some PKB BB10 users. In the end, the total amount will probably be the same.
    07-25-15 07:53 PM
    I want/need a PKB device running a Blackberry OS, they can put Android with iOS, in the not interested pile.
    lift likes this.
    07-25-15 08:10 PM
    So how will suddenly putting android on any BlackBerry make people buy them? Carriers won't push them. They don't do it now, why would they do it later.
    Here's a possible reason. Carriers won't push BlackBerry because they don't want to deal with the returns when buyers discover various apps aren't available or don't work right. Change that and the carriers might be more interested.

BlackBerry doesn't advertise. With company's like Samsung and other giant android phone manufacturers, why would anybody suddenly choose a BlackBerry android? The logic of thinking android would "save" BlackBerry does not make sense.
    If BlackBerry can get the Hub and some other BB10 features onto Android, they'll have something that's quite different from all other Android devices, especially if they can also enhance its security.

Android is capable of much modification, in terms of its UI. To date, most OEMs haven't been too adventurous with it. If the BB10 UI is as good as many of us here think it is, it'll have some appeal under Android that won't be nullified by the app gap. If the BB10 UI isn't good enough to do that, then it simply has no future.
    mathking606, lift, Witmen and 4 others like this.
    07-25-15 08:55 PM
    I'm baffled as to how negative crackberrians are towards this potential android slider. Do you not want the company to succeed or would you rather they cater to your every whim until they are out of business. Anyways the main issue BlackBerry has had with current BB10 phones is a lack of ecosystem. If they switch to android with google play services integration they solve that issue and imo they have a way more marketable product to consumers and even certain enterprises. I know people that would definitely give a BB android a try especially with unique features in the experience suite.
    Bbnivende, jmr1015, Witmen and 2 others like this.
    07-25-15 09:07 PM
    Here's a possible reason. Carriers won't push BlackBerry because they don't want to deal with the returns when buyers discover various apps aren't available or don't work right. Change that and the carriers might be more interested.

If BlackBerry can get the Hub and some other BB10 features onto Android, they'll have something that's quite different from all other Android devices, especially if they can also enhance its security.

Android is capable of much modification, in terms of its UI. To date, most OEMs haven't been too adventurous with it. If the BB10 UI is as good as many of us here think it is, it'll have some appeal under Android that won't be nullified by the app gap. If the BB10 UI isn't good enough to do that, then it simply has no future.
    Not the lack of apps causing the returns. I suggest that misc hardware issues are the cause. Case in point the Leap speaker, PKB, lifting screens etc.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-25-15 10:23 PM
    Not the lack of apps causing the returns. I suggest that misc hardware issues are the cause. Case in point the Leap speaker, PKB, lifting screens etc.

Posted via CB10
    Good points. Seems like BlackBerry quality is on the down slide. I like everything about the Leap except the rattling speaker. Guess I have to just live with it. I feel really bad for the people that spent $475 for the Passport and had the screen lift. I would be furious if I spent that much money and it happened to me.
    07-25-15 10:56 PM
    Ok but your point has to do with people that gave the phone a shot. What about all the people that won't even purchase a BlackBerry phone in the first place because none of the applications that they currently use are available.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    07-25-15 10:58 PM
    Ok but your point has to do with people that gave the phone a shot. What about all the people that won't even purchase a BlackBerry phone in the first place because none of the applications that they currently use are available.
    This is how many BB10 phones I wish BlackBerry could sell. LOL. Talked to someone who played with the new slider-infinity.png
    07-25-15 11:16 PM
    It sold a lot more then they expected - it was sold out for weeks. PP was a niche device not meant to be mainstream. It sold very well for what it was.

Still my favorite phone to date...I may get the slider and swap back and forth depending where I'm going for when the PP form factor is a detriment.
    Carry both! Honestly, the Passport is my favorite device of all time but it isn't the best "phone," in my opinion, because of the size. I carry it around instead of my laptop and it is a super functional mini-computer. I'm going to get a data-only Sim so I don't keep draining my Zed's battery with the wifi-hotspot though... I love the fact that I can carry two devices and I don't need my phone to do everything. That's a mentality that people need to wipe from their minds. When you have a device that can do EVERYTHING, it means that it is also making several sacrifices in the quality of many of those things.
    For instance, the Slider will be an amazing device, but it still won't match the quality of PKB that the Passport has. It's just like the old Torch, it will have to be small enough to tuck away which means from a design point, they are limited. Not sure where I'm going with all of this... you can't have it all?
    07-26-15 12:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think many of those hardware concerns, with the possible exception of the Leap speaker, don't show up right away. I was thinking of the "buyer's remorse" kind of returns, within two weeks of purchase. I suspect missing apps have a lot to do with those.
    07-26-15 07:30 AM
    These are rumours. Period. Whoever works at BB and shows around the new phone like this is FIRED.
    I don't know about fired or even given a serious slap on the wrist, new devices have to go through "in the field" testing and can be caught in public every once in a while. When I used to catch the GO Train (local commuter service) from the West end of the GTA into downtown Toronto and there was a guy who used to sometimes get on the same carriage as me. Every now and then he I would see him sporting an unusual device of some sort. I never said a word to him until the day he pulled out a tablet and powered it up. He then tethered his phone (I think it was a 9900) via USB to it, yes USB! I had to ask, so I did. Yes, it was one of several beta PlayBooks being tested in the wild of varying designs and he talked quite openly about it. I asked if I could take a couple of pictures and he refused. He said it's not often people catch on to what he's doing but if they do no pictures were allowed to be taken because if no pictures exist then it still just remains a rumour if someone blabs. He didn't seem concerned and never once asked not to say anything. I wasn't a member of CrackBerry back then, but even if I were I don't know if I would have posted anything as he was so generous with his time and information.

Perhaps things have changed, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are preproduction or late beta devices floating around out there somewhere.
    07-26-15 08:22 AM
167 1234 ...