So I'm a little confused here - is the BB Slider a new BB device or an app that can be installed on the Storm? The next question would then be will if the slider is an actual new device offering who will be the carrier? And the big question any thoughts on what the Storm 3 will do that the Slider can't
    thanks
    07-09-10 05:21 PM
    Check the Rumoured Devices section of these forums. basically, the 9800 is a new phone model that RIM is releasing for GSM carriers. There's rumours of it coming to AT&T, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

The Storm3 is the successor to the Storm2, and will not have a slide-out portrait keyboard. It is rumoured to be LTE capable as well, so it's probably going to Verizon. Again, nothing has been confirmed.
    07-09-10 05:28 PM
    So I'm a little confused here - is the BB Slider a new BB device or an app that can be installed on the Storm? The next question would then be will if the slider is an actual new device offering who will be the carrier? And the big question any thoughts on what the Storm 3 will do that the Slider can't
    thanks
    There is nothing the Slider can do that the S3 can't. Also, the S3 has a completely different OS than the Slider.
    07-09-10 10:40 PM
    There is nothing the Slider can do that the S3 can't. Also, the S3 has a completely different OS than the Slider.
    How do you know? Somebody said so? I have talked to people who have told me that the Slider is going to be S3 and it will be out in Dec.

It is something that I have been asking for awhile and everybody says the slider and S3 are different but nobody has told me why or how they know. All you get is people saying it has been said that its not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 12:56 PM
    ....Besides slide out a physical keyboard....

07-13-10 01:56 PM
    How do you know? Somebody said so? I have talked to people who have told me that the Slider is going to be S3 and it will be out in Dec.

It is something that I have been asking for awhile and everybody says the slider and S3 are different but nobody has told me why or how they know. All you get is people saying it has been said that its not.
    A lot of early reports sourced by the media referred to the slider as the Storm 3. Since then, there have been several insider reports, hands on, etc with the former device, and a couple with the latter. It's been confirmed in the videos that the Slider will be a GSM device, and the Storm is a Verizon exclusive (and doesn't use GSM).

Hence the only conclusion is that the media was confused months ago, several people read those early articles and so are still confused, but that the facts laid bare in the videos and the whisperings of insiders who have seen test units all show clearly that they are separate devices, being developed by separate teams for non-compatible networks.
    07-13-10 04:04 PM

The Slider does not have surepress technology, and has a physical keyboard, it is being branded the Torch in all the rumours, and NOT a Storm 3

I can not for the life of me find the name of the supplier that is working with RIM developing their Piezoelectric touch screens, but they were reported to be working on an 8 point unit which would fall into line with RIM developing a device to keep SurePress around.

Also the Slider is GSM based, and the STORM has been CDMA/World Phone based, I can not see RIM shunning the CDMA providers by pulling the Storm away from them.

with LTE around the Corner, it makes a lot of Sense for RIM to hold onto the S3 test it very tightly on LTE networks, and keep it under wraps to launch with Verizon, it would be a fantastic battle plan to lead into the holiday season and help drive moving to an LTE network for verizon, as the Storm has a bit of a cult following.

There are far too many things that would not line up with RIM's Carrier & branding dirven strategy to make the Slider the Storm 3
    07-13-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD