10-14-10 04:28 PM
    Where did this mix up come from? The 9570 is NOT the storm 3. It was a Storm 2 refresh. The leaked pics of the full touchscreen BB with a TP was most likely the S3
    10-14-10 04:33 PM
    The mix up comes from the idea that a third release of a Storm after the Storm and Storm2 would be a Storm3. No one was sure what the name would/will be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 05:35 PM
    Does it matter if it is the refresh or not? The big story is a new touch screen BlackBerry may come in November for Verizon with OS 6. If I hear something more official come Oct 27th I might hold out a month (my annual upgrade date is Oct 28th).... They better announce it soon!
    10-14-10 06:25 PM
    That jeffries analyst is getting a lot of mileage out of this. If its still and S2 chip then its a waste of anyone's upgrade.

10-14-10 07:51 PM
    That jeffries analyst is getting a lot of mileage out of this. If its still and S2 chip then its a waste of anyone's upgrade.

Agreed. Waiting for a true hardware upgrade.

10-14-10 08:16 PM
    10-19-10 02:06 PM
    I just saw that too... Berryreporter is reporting it too.

Incidentally, it makes a plain connection with "storm 3" and "9570". Refresh or not. Just thought I would point that out.

This should make for some good forum speculation.

10-19-10 03:31 PM
    Ok.... This is interesting... Hmmmm... What gives? Is this a refresh or what? Surepress?

But the BIGGEST question I have is it going to be released this year... I just threw my Storm2 on ebay planning on going Droid X... Oct 28th.... Man oh man I don't know what to do now!
    10-19-10 10:58 PM
    Will this have sure press design itself or just capacitive as torch screen
    10-20-10 01:43 PM
    wake up wake up.... storm series = surepress series...
    10-20-10 02:43 PM
    I agree... But the rumor-mill is saying it will be without SurePress... And RIM is the one who decides if Storm = SurePress and it sounds like they don't agree with you.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The Torch does not have the SurePress screen and it could of easily. I know some will say that was because of the keyboard. But to me SurePress was also a dream for web browsing... In theory. With the Storm's tragic browser I never got to experience it much. I always had to use Opera Mini, and that just acts like SurePress is not there.

I can't wait till QNX. There is a serious problem with the OS and network traffic. Every BlackBerry I own it takes FOREVER to actually do something over the internet. Wifi does not help... Any network access is TERRIBLE....

Why do I mention this; because the Storm 3/4 might be LTE. Unless it's QNX OS, LTE 4G will be a total waste. The old OS can't even use Wifi any faster than 3G EVDO! Lol it's so sad

That's why I don't see the point of adding Wifi to the Storm2. It sucked really bad.
    10-20-10 10:07 PM
    I wondered about the rumored cancellation... the day it came out I stopped in my local Verizon store for other reasons, but asked anyway, and the clerks were all adamant about at least a Storm 2 refresh of sorts coming out this fall (*on a side note* They were all on Droids, so I'm assuming they don't spend their free time researching Blackberrys and got this release info from the inside)
    We shall see... I'm due for an upgrade as of end of September 27th and have been holding out on a Nice New BB Touch of one sort or another.
    10-21-10 12:19 AM
    Due for an upgrade now from Storm 2 to ???.... The Droid Pro sure looks inviting.
    10-23-10 08:33 AM
    Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Salomondrin posted his own info in June.

"Here we go again, getting excited about a phone that probably won’t come out until next year. Yes, I’m talking about the Storm 3. A couple of my sources have been talking to me lately about the new Storm 3, and I gotta tell you guys it sounds FREAKING AWESOME!! Everyone knows I’m a huge fan of the Storm 2, but from what I’ve heard so far about the third version of the Storm… I think I’m in love already.
    Here are some Storm 3 specs and info that I’ve heard so far repeatedly from my sources:
    1. Its being tested by a very limited team (preventing leaks).
    2. The phone’s shell is still the Storm 2′s shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    3. It does have a 1ghz processor.
    4. 8 GB internal memory.
    5. 512MB flash memory was what they saw first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1GB of flash memory.
    6. It won’t run on OS 6.0. Its gonna be running on an OS of its own. <– Really exciting
    7. The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    8. 5 MP camera still on it as off now, but like we saw on the 9670, this can change.
    9. The screen will be something new we haven’t seen yet (new input mechanism) ,but it won’t work like the Storm 2. Yes, it will have SURE-PRESS, but I’m not sure how they are archiving it this time.
    10. Its gonna be Verizon’s 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They aren’t sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.
    The reason why RIM doesn’t want this phone to leak, or are being more careful about it, is because it would confirm that Verizon will be launching their LTE network (which by the way is already set, but just running tests on as off these days) and its somehow a liability for them.
    Again, and as you know, some things could/will change but those are the specs as off today."

The above was posted before we had heard of QNX or even the 9570 coming out. With the indication that 5MP camera was being used on this device and it looked like an S2, I'm fairly certain that this was most likely a 9570 device instead of a rigged S3 into an S2 design. There is also mention of widgets which we know that OS6 does not have implemented in the fasion that we know of. So, what's the possibility that this was a 9570 with QNX onboard?

Discuss...
    10-23-10 10:03 AM
    Originally Posted by The_Engine
    And Civic - I recommend you go dig out J Levy's post as that was pretty much in line with Sal's. It helps show how long this thing has been in Dev....

The rumors have been churning and low and behold the Storm 3 is a real device. I only had about 5 minutes with the device and I could not take pictures or notes. There is also some information I cannot state as to protect the innocent.

The first thing I noticed about the Storm 3 is how much thinner it is then the 9550. Think iPhone thin. It also felt considerably lighter but I did not have enough time to break out my triple beam. There were reports from bbleaks that the boot up time was much faster and indeed it is. I counted to myself and it was 20 seconds from the time I pressed the on button to being fully powered up. Let me discuss the screen for a moment. It is the best screen I have ever seen. The color and resolution is fantastic. Compared to the Moto Droid sitting next to it, blew it out of the water. The UI is different. I cannot get into specifics, but Storm 3 does widgets

Something else I noticed was the speed of processor. I don't know what is under the hood but it was smoking fast even with the beta OS being used. It beat the Droid on every task I threw at it. Hands down the fastest phone I have used.

Now here is where it got cool. Adobe flash was incorporated into the browser and I have to say I was super impressed. Compared to mobile safari, this is better. Full desktop quality rendering of pages. While it looked better pages rendered slightly faster on the iPhone 3GS but faster than the Moto Droid. Another nice addition is tabbed browsing. It is implemented very cleanly into the browser UI.

The camera has been upgraded and is rocking a 6MP beauty. Photos I took on it were fantastic. Available RAM has been increased to 512mb, a nice bump for sure. I wasn't able to see what the SD card was so I have no idea there.

IMO this phone outperforms the Droid in all areas except for available apps (BB APP World is still very small). There were no games installed so I couldn't determine how well this phone performed from a gaming standpoint. Maybe on Round 2 I will be more lucky.

Just when I was about ready to give up on RIM, I am pleased to see the huge strides they have made not only from a hardware but also software perspective.

P.S. Rumors of this having a slider are completely false. There are and were never any plans on combining this phone with a slide-out Qwerty.

Here is the post from JLevy which was back in Dec of 09.....
    10-23-10 10:05 AM
    well most people suppose to know that
    10-23-10 10:06 AM
    This is all well and good. It could include a flying car for all I care. But this matters nothing unless they have this (or the refresh) on Verizon come November. I am thinking because there has been tons of silence on this we can all assume no new touch screen BlackBerry on Verizon this year.

Also, I am wondering why CrackBerry won't report on the two rumors about a Storm still coming to Verizon. The one rumor was some tech analyst, the other was about a data copier having the 9570 on it.

I still think the lack of news though shows no new Storm on Verizon this year.

Which is a bummer because I hate to jump BlackBerry ship... But I always get a new phone around this time. I enjoy this as tradition, and I am not going to give this up! Droid X here I come!
    Last edited by brian_peterson; 10-23-10 at 01:19 PM.
    10-23-10 10:19 AM
    I share in everyone's frustrating here..

When will RIM stop coming to the gun fight with a knife..

Iono I have hope.. I would really like to think Verizon is going to release a new blackberry product this holiday season..

I want to believe the article that states that verizon will still release something this holiday season. The device that is supposed to be like the torch but with out the keyboard.

let's hope, but not hold our breath.
    10-23-10 11:14 PM
    Salomondrin posted his own info in June.

"Here we go again, getting excited about a phone that probably wont come out until next year. Yes, Im talking about the Storm 3. A couple of my sources have been talking to me lately about the new Storm 3, and I gotta tell you guys it sounds FREAKING AWESOME!! Everyone knows Im a huge fan of the Storm 2, but from what Ive heard so far about the third version of the Storm I think Im in love already.
    Here are some Storm 3 specs and info that Ive heard so far repeatedly from my sources:
    1. Its being tested by a very limited team (preventing leaks).
    2. The phones shell is still the Storm 2?s shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    3. It does have a 1ghz processor.
    4. 8 GB internal memory.
    5. 512MB flash memory was what they saw first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1GB of flash memory.
    6. It wont run on OS 6.0. Its gonna be running on an OS of its own. < Really exciting
    7. The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    8. 5 MP camera still on it as off now, but like we saw on the 9670, this can change.
    9. The screen will be something new we havent seen yet (new input mechanism) ,but it wont work like the Storm 2. Yes, it will have SURE-PRESS, but Im not sure how they are archiving it this time.
    10. Its gonna be Verizons 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They arent sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.
    The reason why RIM doesnt want this phone to leak, or are being more careful about it, is because it would confirm that Verizon will be launching their LTE network (which by the way is already set, but just running tests on as off these days) and its somehow a liability for them.
    Again, and as you know, some things could/will change but those are the specs as off today."

The above was posted before we had heard of QNX or even the 9570 coming out. With the indication that 5MP camera was being used on this device and it looked like an S2, I'm fairly certain that this was most likely a 9570 device instead of a rigged S3 into an S2 design. There is also mention of widgets which we know that OS6 does not have implemented in the fasion that we know of. So, what's the possibility that this was a 9570 with QNX onboard?

Discuss...
    Dude, wtf? I posted that in a speculation thread I made in the News section. I suggest you give credit where credit is due instead of just copy/paste. Don't make me edit your post. Lol

10-24-10 11:14 PM
    It looks like the QNX Storm is about to be released to me. Verizon needs to go ahead and release the 4G wireless cards, then we shall see the new Storm.
    10-25-10 07:52 PM
    There are devices right now with similar, if not superior, specs. I'm sorry, by the time it gets released, we're looking at dual core phones coming in.
    11-15-10 10:41 PM
    Sal just tweeted we should be seeing or hearing something real soon! He's just waiting for someone to spill the beans first.

11-15-10 11:48 PM
    Sal just tweeted we should be seeing or hearing something real soon! He's just waiting for someone to spill the beans first.

It would be nice if some good information would leak out on the real Storm3 or what ever VZW has planned to fill the gap by the lame duck Storm2.

I bought the Storm1 on release day two years ago, then after four crap units talked VZW into giving me a Storm2 as a replacement. They did...but while it is better...it is still crap compared to the Samsung Galaxy S phones or the Droid Incredible which has been out since April!!! I fear that by the time RIM gets their act together and gets a new Touch Screen device on the market...that it will be outdated.

HTC has the Droid Incredible due soon, the iPhone is due on VZW after Christmas and then all the LTE phones will start droppiong with huge high def screens and dual core processors. I fear RIM will be playing catch up which will eventually put them in 2nd or 3rd tier status if they aren't careful. HTC and Apple have really taken high end touch screens to a new level...and RIM needs to pull out all the stops to match their efforts.
    11-16-10 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD