09-15-11 11:59 AM
31 12
tools
    the storm 3 is being used in rim offices according to my buddy a rim engineer. he said he thot it was an iphone. he ciuldnt tell at first. he also said its a dumb idea because people who want a phone like that would just get the iphone.

anyways thats my news from my buddy. torch 2 is awesome fast btw.
    06-22-11 01:53 AM
    RIM needs to stop trying to match other platforms and stick with what has worked for them years ago.... keyboard phones! Thats it! DIFFERENCIATE! Thats the key to success in this stiffly competitive market
    ADGrant likes this.
    06-22-11 02:17 AM
    RIM needs to stop trying to match other platforms and stick with what has worked for them years ago.... keyboard phones! Thats it! DIFFERENCIATE! Thats the key to success in this stiffly competitive market
    I disagree. Each time a touchscreen BB comes out, the touch response and speed seems to improve. This time around I think it will improve the most where it seems to respond as well as the iphone. There's nothing wrong with having a diverse array of form factors in their lineup.

They made it clear that the 9900 is their flagship phone and will likely be the best qwerty handset ever. But there is nothing wrong with having other form factors. I'm looking for the all touch 9850 myself.
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    06-22-11 02:27 AM
    even if a touch screen BB matches the quality of the iphone, the consumer will just say, "might as well get an iphone!"
    06-22-11 02:52 AM
    Thats not right, there are loads of people who like touchscreen, but refuse to buy an iphone due to apples policies, thats why all my buddies are crying that they havent got their monaco yet
    06-22-11 03:07 AM
    even if a touch screen BB matches the quality of the iphone, the consumer will just say, "might as well get an iphone!"
    Not unless that person would actually like a touchscreen smartphone and not a Nintendo DS.
    06-22-11 05:53 AM
    I think there are some that would prefer an all touch bb over iphone or android just because.
    StaticFX and mozartpc27 like this.
    06-22-11 06:24 AM
    I think there are some that would prefer an all touch bb over iphone or android just because.
    I'm one of those. I prefer all touchscreen, but hate Android and iPhones. The BB or a Win7 phone if RIM or MS ever gets their chit together.

1st one to the table get's my $$
    mozartpc27 likes this.
    06-22-11 06:30 AM
    Nope ... personally I agree that keyboard phones are what put RIM and BB on the map, and this combined with BBOS is mostly what keeps me with a BB. But this is where most analysts say RIM is getting their bu++s handed to them -- they don't have anything to directly compete with iPhone and high-end Android-powered phones. Most of us traditional BB users/fans/whatever are that because of the keyboard, and for that reason the typical BB phone with a keyboard will never compete head-on with the likes of the iPhone. RIM has differentiated, but that's not what it seems the majority of consumer users want. The upcoming OS7 phones will probably attract a few more buyers who can't see past the spec sheets, but they're mostly to stop the bleeding of existing BB users. If keyboard phones would be that popular with more users, don't you think more manufacturers would be making them? Take a look at the just-announced N9 from Nokia - you don't get any more un-keyboard than that. Not even a button on it, other than a rocker for volume control. It's just a big slab covered on one side with a touch display. That's what the experts believe most consumers want.

Fact is, RIM has stuck with what works for them, and while I'm perfectly content with that as an individual smart phone user, that's proven to be insufficient to compete with everybody else, which has resulted in market share falling much more than it should have, which has resulted in stock price tanking, which has resulted in every financial and technology expert coming out of the woodwork asserting what RIM should do/should have done/is going to die.

And I have to strongly disagree with the OP's buddy's opinion about potential customers who would want the Storm 3 just getting an iPhone. If that were the case, Android wouldn't be anywhere near the position it's in today. That's not to say that the Storm 3, or even next year's QNX phones will ever retake a dominant market position again, but they should be bringing one more very viable option to the table for the still-growing 'superphone' market and certainly give the competitors something else to think about.
    06-22-11 06:30 AM
    It's not the touch screen that consumers want. It's screen size. I would love a 5" phone with a sliding keyboard. I don't like cleaning the screen all the time but size is more important. The keyboard needs to be landscape as well. I only use portrait if I'm forced to.
    06-22-11 07:30 AM
    this may be true, but people also may say... now i dont have to choose apple...
    06-22-11 08:44 AM
    and your choice of phone isevice Model: HTC Droid Incredible 2

Hmm..

Yep, there selling like hot cakes..keep doing the same thing RIM..

Tim
    06-22-11 09:35 AM
    Curve - Remains the same form factor as now.
    CPU to 1 gig. Front facing chat camera 5 mega-pixel). Better display.

Bold - Same form factor as now. Get rid of the track pad and
    increase screen size. (why do you need a track pad on a touch screen?!?!)
    1.2 gig CPU. Maybe virtual BB keys and trackpad?
    8 mega-pixel cam and front facing 3 mega-pixel chat cam.

Torch HD - Rolled out with leading edge CPU and HD graphics. Quality improvements. Same specs as Touch but with slide out BB keyboard.

Touch - Full touch screen only phone. Like the Torch HD but no BB keyboard and larger HD display. 10 mega-pixel camera and 3 mega-pixel front chat cam.

Drop the Style in the dumpster forever.

All phones released as GSM and CDMA. No more carrier exclusive units.

RIM needs to cut down the number of phones and work to get a limited
    set of phones working and selling well. They are too diluted over to many platforms.

Four phones and two tablets. (7 and 10 inch).

Roll out the Torch HD and Touch together. 4-6 months later roll out the Bold and Curve.

Adapt AC/DC "Back in Black" as theme.

Tim
    06-22-11 09:52 AM
    Bold - Same form factor as now. Get rid of the track pad and
    increase screen size. (why do you need a track pad on a touch screen?!?!)
    1.2 gig CPU. Maybe virtual BB keys and trackpad?
    8 mega-pixel cam and front facing 3 mega-pixel chat cam.
    Trust me, the trackpad is needed. Using both the Torch and the PlayBook for any kind of text editing, I sorely miss the trackpad on the PB for any kind of text selection. For example, what took me a few seconds to delete all that other text from your post with the Torch (or anything with a precision pointer) would have taken at least a couple of minutes and several profanities on a touch screen without it. There are times when the touch screen alone is sufficient, but there are times when a pointer interface like the trackpad is just irreplaceable. If they ever took the trackpad off BlackBerries, I think I'd just quit using smart phones altogether. :O

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 10:27 AM
    Not me. I hate anything and everything Apple. I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater than have an iPhone. Having an iPod is bad enough. I hate Apple. I hate iTunes. I hate iEverything.

I am one of those people. I will never go back to a physical keyboard BB again. I love full touchscreen BBs.

It's not the touch screen that consumers want. It's screen size. I would love a 5" phone with a sliding keyboard. I don't like cleaning the screen all the time but size is more important. The keyboard needs to be landscape as well. I only use portrait if I'm forced to.
    Not all consumers give a crap about screen size. I don't. As long as it works, I can deal with whatever screen size I'm given as long as it's not so big I need a forklift to carry it around with. I don't carry a purse and anything bigger and having it in an otterbox clipped to the pocket of my scrubs at work makes me look like I'm trying to steal a brick.

Landscape is the only way I can type on my BB. I'm a chick so I have small hands as it is, but even in portrait mode, the keys are so tiny and so smushed together that I can't type on it. I have to have it landscape mode.
    06-22-11 10:38 AM
    RIM needs to stop "trying" to compete with Apple and Android and create their own style of phone that will attract users, find something different that people like and market it.
    06-22-11 10:44 AM
    ...Landscape is the only way I can type on my BB. I'm a chick so I have small hands as it is, but even in portrait mode, the keys are so tiny and so smushed together that I can't type on it. I have to have it landscape mode.
    Have you tried using SureType in portrait mode?
    06-22-11 11:13 AM
    ...find something different that people like and market it.
    Market the **** out of it
    That's the biggest thing RIM needs to work on. Hire a decent marketing firm.
    06-22-11 11:16 AM

I have an iphone 4, 3g, 3, and Trust me on this.. If BB comes out with a touch blackberry that is fast and has a good browser i will switch in a heatbeat... On my 2nd iphone 4 in a year as the reception is horrible and it seems to be locking up.. The apps are cool when i'm bored i guess but the browser is what has kept me on it.. I almost went to a 9780 several times but the browsing is too sloow and small for me.. I have an ipad and playbook... i don't use the ipad anymore..

Sooo..

If a fast touchscreen BB comes with enough memory for apps etc i will most likely switch back.
    06-22-11 11:55 AM

Not all consumers give a crap about screen size. I don't. As long as it works, I can deal with whatever screen size I'm given as long as it's not so big I need a forklift to carry it around with. I don't carry a purse and anything bigger and having it in an otterbox clipped to the pocket of my scrubs at work makes me look like I'm trying to steal a brick.

Landscape is the only way I can type on my BB. I'm a chick so I have small hands as it is, but even in portrait mode, the keys are so tiny and so smushed together that I can't type on it. I have to have it landscape mode.
    There was a time when I could read the small print on a bottle of aspirin. Not anymore, not even with glasses. There's a reason why HTC, Samsung and others are pushing out 4 plus inch devices like there's no tomorrow. The majority of us need the larger font sizes. 5 inch devices aren't for everyone but it's a nice option to have. Most 3.5 inch phones are large enough to use. Even the Torch seems usable. I just think under 3 inches is just too small.
    06-22-11 10:55 PM
    Have you tried using SureType in portrait mode?
    Yeah I have but I can't stand SureType. I'd wind up spending half an hour arguing with my phone that what I want to type is not what it's telling me to type. I'm a medical coder and do use my phone for some work related business and spending half an hour arguing with my BB that "autologous cranioplasty" is what I really meant to write got real old real quick. I couldn't enter medical terms, email addresses or names without it suggesting entries for me and having to go back and fight with it thanks to SureType made me want to throw my phone in the biohazard bin in the OR.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    06-23-11 08:54 AM
    Man well said!!Is there anyway u could get this blueprint on the desk of RIMs two ***** ceos??I like the Pb not that i own one yet I'm waiting for them to work out the kinks,Here is why those idiots need to be kicked out of their positions.Why would they design a tablet with two great cameras and a front facing cam and none of their new phones have front facing cameras really who are u gonna video chat with.why didn't they put a front facing cam on there so called flagship phone Bold 9900 which seem like it will do ok if it ever gets released..
    06-24-11 12:13 AM
    Has this unit been abandoned for good now that the 9860/9850 are coming out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 11:58 AM
    I hope RIM does bring out a storm 3 with surepress. I love to type with surepress it is so easy and can't understand why rim is getting rid of it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 08:33 PM
    They binned surepress because it was not enough of a selling point, adds thickness to the device and is potentially an additional point of failure so the odds are it is gone forever.
    09-06-11 06:55 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD