08-06-10 06:58 AM
98 1234
tools
    "Odin Refresh" to me does not even make it definite that this will be the storm 3 does any one even know when BlackBerry Storm 3 detailed in training slide: same look, more RAM? -- Engadget
    is from?
    07-22-10 12:56 AM
    This isn't a Storm 3. Even on the name they are giving it away. ODIN REFRESH. I wish I could understand what RIM's marketing strategy is, because releasing this and then a Storm 3 that runs on LTE seems a little wasteful to me.

It's a FACT that they are working on an LTE Storm right now, but I had no idea they were doing this "refresh" in between. I don't know how this will affect release dates at any level. Also, if they are planning on refreshing the Storm when are they gonna release the Clamster?
    Do you have any other knowledge that you can share about this refresh? Is it because the current Storm2 can't handle OS6?

Maybe this slide is really old but who knows, if RIM releases this "refresh" then I just don't see the benefit in that. They're just going to get a lot of costumers pissed off when they release the Storm LTE a couple months ahead.
    07-23-10 03:21 PM
    Do you have any other knowledge that you can share about this refresh? Is it because the current Storm2 can't handle OS6?

Maybe this slide is really old but who knows, if RIM releases this "refresh" then I just don't see the benefit in that. They're just going to get a lot of costumers pissed off when they release the Storm LTE a couple months ahead.
    This is what I know:

- OS 6 doesn't really take 260MB of flash memory on the phones. The OS alone takes around 180 up to 195 (depending on what phone you are talking about).

- A couple of my buddies were testing OS 6 on 9700's, 9550's, and even 9630 (yep, I couldn't believe it when I heard about it either).

- Now, RIM is releasing a 9780 and the 9550 "Refresh". Both of these phones are exactly the same as their predecessors as far as looks, but these 2 are OS 6 ready and have 512 MB of flash memory and more storage too (don't quote me here, but I think its 4GB each).

- The fact that RIM stopped testing OS6 on the Storm 2 means that they don't want any device with 256 MB of flash memory running it. Why? I'm not 100% sure. It can either be a sales strategy or something else on OS6 will be added and will take the rest of the memory.
    07-23-10 03:28 PM
    This is what I know:

- OS 6 doesn't really take 260MB of flash memory on the phones. The OS alone takes around 180 up to 195 (depending on what phone you are talking about).

- A couple of my buddies were testing OS 6 on 9700's, 9550's, and even 9630 (yep, I couldn't believe it when I heard about it either).

- Now, RIM is releasing a 9780 and the 9550 "Refresh". Both of these phones are exactly the same as their predecessors as far as looks, but these 2 are OS 6 ready and have 512 MB of flash memory and more storage too (don't quote me here, but I think its 4GB each).

- The fact that RIM stopped testing OS6 on the Storm 2 means that they don't want any device with 256 MB of flash memory running it. Why? I'm not 100% sure. It can either be a sales strategy or something else on OS6 will be added and will take the rest of the memory.
    LOL... can't wait to blow my 2yr upgrade and another 200 dollars for the SAME device with twice the memory just so I can get a decent web browser that should have been there a year ago. /sarcasm
    07-23-10 03:54 PM
    The fact that RIM stopped testing OS6 on the Storm 2 means that they don't want any device with 256 MB of flash memory running it. Why? I'm not 100% sure. It can either be a sales strategy or something else on OS6 will be added and will take the rest of the memory.
    Could it be that they are going to be making the app store (and associated apps) a larger part of the OS6 experience and they don't want to put it on phones that will quickly run out of room to run them again?
    07-23-10 04:45 PM
    I taught it was Verizon that stopped testing OS6 on the Storm 2... so RIM did also?
    07-23-10 05:04 PM
    LOL... can't wait to blow my 2yr upgrade and another 200 dollars for the SAME device with twice the memory just so I can get a decent web browser that should have been there a year ago. /sarcasm
    Agreed, think I'll just hang in till the S3 releases.
    07-24-10 07:50 AM
    Until a World Edition Android is available from Big Red, it is pointless to me. Having BB with world GSM roaming/3G is great for my needs, and many business users. I need to have a phone that is international capable. I have thought about keeping my Droid X, and then holding on to my 9550 or 9650 to use when I travel, but I hate having to do that. If Verizon gets some World capable Androids, then game on.
    07-24-10 08:28 AM
    I dont know why RIM doesnt release one future-proof touch screen device... I mean if they have to charge extra then who cares? I know i'll pay for it. It will beat having to get a device every year or so.
    07-24-10 09:29 AM
    Also, there is a 9700 variant device floating around in Canada. No, its not the 9700a (delta) as we know it, its something else.

I know the number for the device I'm talking about, but my guy said not to say anything until he can gets us pics of it. Whenever this happens usually someone else snatches the device from him, so I'm sure its in someone's hands already because I've known about this one for 3 days now and still no pics from my guy.

I don't understand why RIM is making the same phone so many times instead of giving us something new... The Clamster and the Slidie are great! And that's what I'm looking for, but 2 other 9700 models and another 9550 refresh? Really!?

You think its the GSM version for Rogers? Because i know Bell is 100% getting this in the Fall
    07-24-10 09:31 AM
    I don't know. I don't see the sense in putting out a Storm 2 refresh for the holidays and then 4 months later drop the Storm 4. Create an awesome Storm 3 and put the damn thing out on the market for people to purchase. I really don't understand some of RIM's business plans/choices.
    It's finance. In a world with unlimited resources that would work. RIMM is refreshing Storm 2 for the holidays so they have a touch screen phone with OS6.

My theory is RIMM is either waiting for Verizon's LTE network to be ready or the 1gb ram beast that is rumored is not ready for the holidays and could easily be turn into a S1 fiasco. Remember RIMM has multiple phones coming out on multiple networks and OS6 launch to deal with.

It sucks for consumers, but is a good business plan.
    07-24-10 10:39 AM
    From what I have read on this forum the most plausible reason in my oppinion is:

Nr1: sell OS6 compatible devices before holidays - remakes of 9700 and Storm2
    Nr2: name drops in early 2011 for LTE/4G devices - Storm4G and Bold4G I beleave
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 07-24-10 at 02:17 PM.
    07-24-10 02:08 PM
    It's finance. In a world with unlimited resources that would work. RIMM is refreshing Storm 2 for the holidays so they have a touch screen phone with OS6.

My theory is RIMM is either waiting for Verizon's LTE network to be ready or the 1gb ram beast that is rumored is not ready for the holidays and could easily be turn into a S1 fiasco. Remember RIMM has multiple phones coming out on multiple networks and OS6 launch to deal with.

If consumers don't buy it is NOT a good business plan, bottom line.
    07-24-10 06:16 PM
    That's a big if, though. I mean, RIM pretty much refreshes every device, renames them, and, still, people buy them as if they were getting or expecting a new experience.
    07-25-10 12:08 AM
    Ya know, I bet the tipster who took a pic of the slide took it with a refreshed Storm with a 5.0mp camera....

Wait a minute...nah, looks like the 3.2 crap. Shoulda had a droid on 'im to take that pic so we could see the date.
    07-25-10 07:35 AM
    That's a big if, though. I mean, RIM pretty much refreshes every device, renames them, and, still, people buy them as if they were getting or expecting a new experience.
    And that right there is the problem. Mr Jobs said how he loves the consumer market because people tell you what they think with of your product with their wallets. If everyone on these boards is so upset about RIM being too stupid to look at their roadmap in 2008/2009 and realize that they needed to bump up memory than speak with your wallets. Its not like these updates are unsupported chips or some other significant part of the device hardware. Its Memory. And just about everyone outside of Waterloo knew RIM was low balling the S1 with 128. And guess what? They are still doing it. If OS6 requires 512 that is all RIM is putting there. You'd think they would have learned and just out in 1 gb to be sure. So now when you buy that 9780 don't get more than a 1 year contract because that all you'll get. You'll need over 512 to run 6.1 or the next gen QNX OS that we all know is coming.

So my point here is that if you think this sucks speak with your wallet. Don't buy a refresh. Go to another device and then put pressure on your companies to support those devices. Unless you need high security. Android or iOS are fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by The_Engine; 07-25-10 at 07:46 AM.
    07-25-10 07:43 AM

Ah ha, someone has put it all together... Very good call. ))
    07-25-10 09:56 AM
    neither is selling a phone that doesnt work on at network that doesnt exist yet. that is even more damaging. Do you think that RIMM does not know when most of their current users contracts expire?? They are playing that game.
    07-25-10 10:48 AM
    I don't know about what's happening with the Storm3/Storm4 or why, but it's unconscionable that RIM released next-gen phones like Pearl 3G and Curve 9300 this year without OS 6 support. Seeing that both phones have 256MB of RAM and that RIM is spec-bumping the Storm, Bold and Tour to 512 for OS 6, it's unlikely that either the Pearl or Curve will support OS 6.

This sucks for developers. Yet another model x OS x screen-size combination to deal with; and RIM wonders why app developers don't pile on to the Blackberry platform....

Note to RIM: Consistency helps!
    07-25-10 10:58 AM
    All I know is that even if RIM doesn't want a "Storm 1 fiasco" again that is fine by me. But RIM does sure work slower than slugs. All the guys pumping out Android handsets are working fast and the hardware is of good quality and there aren't any OS debacles.

RIM works sooo slow it's ridiculous. And still a refreshed Storm 2 makes no sense. You gonna have customers buy a refresh of a Storm 2, lock them into a 2 year contract, release the Storm 4 (which is the second coming of the cell phone right?) and expect customers in general to be smiling happily?

Maybe up in Canada it's a more relaxed and laid back work place.
    07-25-10 12:35 PM
    I really don't see the point of a refresh if they're going to release a new one a few months later unless the LTE Storm is branded as something else. Only way RIM could get away with a refresh is if carriers that didn't have the Storm get it and carriers like Verizon get the LTE version a few months later.
    07-25-10 10:44 PM
    I don't think the average user knows all of this is going on. Lots of S1 users contracts will be up and if your choice was the year old S2 or a new Droid, hmmm.

07-25-10 11:30 PM
    A refreshed S2 is still not competing with Verizon's Droid lineup. It only makes sense if the LTE Storm is further away than we think.
    07-25-10 11:39 PM
    A refreshed S2 is still not competing with Verizon's Droid lineup. It only makes sense if the LTE Storm is further away than we think.
    At this point, I think Verizon would advertise the daylights out of the next new Droid, no matter what specs it had. ie, if it were a "cheap" model with a slow processor and no outstanding features. Verizon appears to be in bed with the Android camp. I bought Storms on 3 separate occasions from 2 "factory" Verizon stores, and no matter the salesperson, their attitude was the same--they all tried to steer me away from Storms, be it the S1 or the S2. Verizon must have told their employees to steer customers towards other brands, for whatever reason. I had to be quite insistent for them to get it through their heads that I wanted to buy a Storm and no other phone in their store. I could see if this had happened just once, but 3 times?? That can't be just a coincidence, now could it? And let me add, none of the salespeople suggested a different Blackberry--they wanted me to look at other smartphones, and then when the first Droid was released, they only suggested Droids.

I predict the next Storm will hit Verizon with no fanfare or advertising.
    07-26-10 12:12 AM
    Definitely not compete but familiarity breeds .... something anyway.

Didn't VZW say 5 devices by May? It could be awhile that's why they need to put something out this year. I'd rather they re tread the S2 and spend their time getting the next one right.

07-26-10 12:18 AM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD