08-06-10 07:58 AM
98 1234
tools
    I don't know. I don't see the sense in putting out a Storm 2 refresh for the holidays and then 4 months later drop the Storm 4. Create an awesome Storm 3 and put the damn thing out on the market for people to purchase. I really don't understand some of RIM's business plans/choices.
    More phones get sold during the holiday period, lte handsets won't be relevant or ready at that point so vzw gets a device refresh that is more optimal for os6, also an lte device won't be as mainstream at the start either.

I am not sure what is so confusing about their plans, new devices sell better than older ones, so while you want them to skip the refresh at xmas that would be stupid since they would have several months of lesser sales till the next model.
    07-20-10 07:23 PM
    Clearly they pulled the 9650 back and upped the memory to 512 for a very, very good reason. They took a stock hit and everything for not getting that out the door on time. The fact that curve 9300 is releasing after the 9650 and has less memory to me means it can support OS6. Unless they are so nuts as to say the curve will never have os6, but we won't even go there.
    It is possible that device isn't meant to get os6, but equally it could mean that gsm devices don't need as much memory to run os6 since the 9100 didn't get an upgrade either and it came out at the same time as the 9650.
    07-20-10 07:29 PM
    So we could possibly see this Storm2 Refresh the same time we see the Storm3(totally new device). One as an OS6 running upgrade of the Storm2, and one as a totally new blackberry touch screen device

Could this 'refresh' almost be a recall of some sort... I doubt it, but who knows.
    Most likely that once again the random bloggers have cocked up in their haste to try and make up a scoop and have managed to squash multiple rumours into one and have got the date from this refresh and randomly tacked it onto these other rumours about the nextgen storm.

If you look at the latest lte stuff from vzw, it seems like they aren't really pushing handsets when they first launch so holding back an lte storm until it would benefit from promotion when vzw start to push handsets would make a lot of sense.
    07-20-10 07:33 PM
    Oh yeah... Just look at all those HTC models. Each one is so much different than the last... Or how about them iPhones prior to number four? That Palm Pre Plus was also a major step up as well, don't you think?

The point is, not every annual update or upgrade to a product line will be a major overhaul. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then don't buy. It's not like anybody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to upgrade.
    They are giving away the Pre Plus, so tell me how the "major step up" translated to sales (other than giveaways).
    07-20-10 08:40 PM
    I just hope that this refresh hits more than one US carrier.
    Not going to happen since Verizon has exclusivity over the Storm series.
    07-20-10 09:05 PM
    I posted this in another blog but think it has merrit here too...

I wonder if VZW is going to have a different set of data plans for 4G, so both phones get released near each other and overlap sales. If you don't want to pay extra for 4G and the S3, you have the option to buy a S2a and stay on 3G. I don't know who would want to do it, but giving the option to the financially strapped is nice.
    07-21-10 07:31 AM
    I posted this in another blog but think it has merrit here too...

I wonder if VZW is going to have a different set of data plans for 4G, so both phones get released near each other and overlap sales. If you don't want to pay extra for 4G and the S3, you have the option to buy a S2a and stay on 3G. I don't know who would want to do it, but giving the option to the financially strapped is nice.
    VZW has indicated that the LTE data plans will be tiered. We don't know yet what their tiers will look like.

It doesn't make any sense for RIM to have 2 Storms competing against each other this close together. Especially under an exclusivity deal with VZW. If the Storm was on a few carriers like the curve or the bold, than it would make more sense.
    07-21-10 08:40 AM
    Again, I think it does make sense if 3G data plans are cheaper than 4G data plans. This is something my parents would go for. They like their facebook and email to their phones, but they'll rarely (if ever) upload videos to youtube or facebook, or any of the other streaming media sites. They'll rarely use the internet at all, so why would they get an S3 on 4G data plans? Instead, they can get a S2a on a 3G data plan and pay less.
    07-21-10 09:44 AM
    I think that would make sense for a lot of people.
    07-21-10 09:45 AM
    The only thing that makes sense is that RIM needs to wake up and smell the coffee because their "buddy" Verizon is having a real swell time with its new friend Android.

So unless RIM wants to really keep the attention of its lover it better start hitting the gym and fixing up it's appearance.

This is the phone convo between RIM and Verizon:

RIM: Hey Verizon I got great news!
    VZW: O hey, what's up?
    RIM: We are creating a refresh of the Storm 2!!!! 5 megapixel camera!!!!
    VZW: (yawn, but can't be seen since a phone convo) O cool.
    RIM: I am working as fast as possible and their shouldn't be any quality issues or software problems this time!!! You know what they say, third times the charm!!! *giggle giggle*
    VZW: Yeah, hey can you hold on for a second got a call on the other line?
    RIM: Sure.
    VZW: (picks up other line) Hey Android!!!!
    Android: What's popping man, got some crazy nice products and ideas coming down the pipeline, wondering if you wanted to go grab some dinner and drinks tonight and discuss?
    VZW: Definitely, sounds awesome!!!
    Android: Alright, I'll give you a buzz later on tonight with dinner details. Bye.
    VZW: Sounds good, bye.
    VZW: (picks up first line) Hey RIM sorry to keep you waiting.
    RIM: It's ok I was wondering if you wanted to do something tonight and I can tell you all about the Storm 2 refresh!?
    VZW: O uuuuummmmmmmmmmm, you know I'm really busy lately, my schedule is pretty packed, can i take a rain check if you don't mind?
    RIM: O ok, I guess maybe next week is good?
    VZW: Uumm you know what, just send me an email with all the info and I'll read about it and get back to you ok?
    RIM: O ok, I guess that works, ok bye.
    VZW: (hangs up phone without saying bye)

This is the truth folks!!!!
    07-21-10 02:01 PM
    The only thing that makes sense is that RIM needs to wake up and smell the coffee because their "buddy" Verizon is having a real swell time with its new friend Android.

So unless RIM wants to really keep the attention of its lover it better start hitting the gym and fixing up it's appearance.

RIM: I am working as fast as possible and their shouldn't be any quality issues or software problems this time!!! You know what they say, third times the charm!!! *giggle giggle*
    Android: What's popping man, got some crazy nice products and ideas coming down the pipeline, wondering if you wanted to go grab some dinner and drinks tonight and discuss?
    Android: Alright, I'll give you a buzz later on tonight with dinner details. Bye.
    RIM: It's ok I was wondering if you wanted to do something tonight and I can tell you all about the Storm 2 refresh!?
    VZW: O uuuuummmmmmmmmmm, you know I'm really busy lately, my schedule is pretty packed, can i take a rain check if you don't mind?
    VZW: Uumm you know what, just send me an email with all the info and I'll read about it and get back to you ok?

I think you pretty much nailed it!
    07-21-10 02:25 PM
    CB front page rumored devices is reporting no more Surepress for Storm series..
    07-21-10 02:26 PM
    CB front page rumored devices is reporting no more Surepress for Storm series..
    Surepress is THE ONLY reason I've been waiting for the S3... if its not going to have it, why should I wait until late Nov-Mar to get it when I'm up for an upgrade less than a month from now? Want a 1GHz phone? Want 1GB RAM? Want a great multimedia experience? Email? Reliable OS? I can get all those well before then. The only thing I'll miss is the surepress and BBM.

I hope that is a mistake.
    07-21-10 02:38 PM
    I think that page might be wrong. Sal's website says that it WILL have surepress, and I can't remember the last time he said something that was incorrect.

Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs Salomondrin
    07-21-10 02:48 PM
    This isn't a Storm 3. Even on the name they are giving it away. ODIN REFRESH. I wish I could understand what RIM's marketing strategy is, because releasing this and then a Storm 3 that runs on LTE seems a little wasteful to me.

It's a FACT that they are working on an LTE Storm right now, but I had no idea they were doing this "refresh" in between. I don't know how this will affect release dates at any level. Also, if they are planning on refreshing the Storm when are they gonna release the Clamster?
    07-21-10 02:59 PM
    Also, there is a 9700 variant device floating around in Canada. No, its not the 9700a (delta) as we know it, its something else.

I know the number for the device I'm talking about, but my guy said not to say anything until he can gets us pics of it. Whenever this happens usually someone else snatches the device from him, so I'm sure its in someone's hands already because I've known about this one for 3 days now and still no pics from my guy.

I don't understand why RIM is making the same phone so many times instead of giving us something new... The Clamster and the Slidie are great! And that's what I'm looking for, but 2 other 9700 models and another 9550 refresh? Really!?
    07-21-10 03:03 PM
    Again, I think it does make sense if 3G data plans are cheaper than 4G data plans. This is something my parents would go for. They like their facebook and email to their phones, but they'll rarely (if ever) upload videos to youtube or facebook, or any of the other streaming media sites. They'll rarely use the internet at all, so why would they get an S3 on 4G data plans? Instead, they can get a S2a on a 3G data plan and pay less.
    There is an S2 for that. No need to re fresh if all your giving is a better browser but still 3G when a 4G model will follow that quickly.

If that's all your parents need on the phone then a curve 8530 at $29 is perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 03:16 PM
    This isn't a Storm 3. Even on the name they are giving it away. ODIN REFRESH. I wish I could understand what RIM's marketing strategy is, because releasing this and then a Storm 3 that runs on LTE seems a little wasteful to me.

It's a FACT that they are working on an LTE Storm right now, but I had no idea they were doing this "refresh" in between. I don't know how this will affect release dates at any level. Also, if they are planning on refreshing the Storm when are they gonna release the Clamster?
    Your scaring me Sal. Get your guy some good vino and find out what is going on.

Anyone know how long VZW's exclusivity deal runs on the Storm? Maybe this oDin Refresh is targets for another carrier, ala palm pre vs palm pre plus.

07-21-10 03:25 PM

Anyone know how long VZW's exclusivity deal runs on the Storm? Maybe this oDin Refresh is targets for another carrier, ala palm pre vs palm pre plus.

You think that's scary? Take a look at this: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5371933
    07-21-10 03:33 PM
    You think that's scary? Take a look at this: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5371933
    Thanks for that. Wanna kick me in the nuts while your at it?

It is looking like RIM is going for a record in plummeting stock prices or something.

07-21-10 04:00 PM

Now your scaring me. This is exactly what I've been thinking even down to the Palm Pre/Palm Pre Plus part.

Unlocked Storms suddenly loose data service on T-Mo.
    Rim/T-Mo quietly "fix the problem"
    Odin Refresh appears
    The new Storm may not have surepress as we know it.
    Would VZW want an exclusive anymore?
    They will by default have an exclusive on the LTE Storm anyway.
    07-21-10 04:28 PM
    There is an S2 for that. No need to re fresh if all your giving is a better browser but still 3G when a 4G model will follow that quickly.

If that's all your parents need on the phone then a curve 8530 at $29 is perfect.

The curve doesn't have a nice large touchscreen that my parents love so much in my S1.
    07-21-10 05:05 PM

I'm going to quote myself because that phone convo is TRUE! lol. Anyways basically RIM is getting stale, we as Blackberry fans might like it but I don't think Verizon as a carrier really cares too much or wants to put its efforts into Blackberry devices anymore. Verizon's new gold is definitely Andorid devices. The future for Verizon is Android LTE devices, Android devices with keyboards, Android devices without keyboard, etc. As for Blackberry, forget about Verizon really marketing that anymore. If you must have a Blackberry for business you walk into the store and they will point you in that direction, but if you walk in and are browsing phones interested in what's cool and awesome, I will put money down that the name Blackberry isn't going to come out of any sales rep's mouth.... It will be the name Droid, Incredible, Fascinate, etc.

I mean think about how significant Android has become. The once great Motorola rotting since its last golden age with the RAZR. A company slowly dieing and being chopped up was single handedly reinvigorated by the Droid and now Motorola seems to have found its groove again and its going full steam ahead on producing Android devices that push the limits of what people thought cell phones these days would have and do.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 07-21-10 at 05:55 PM.
    07-21-10 05:46 PM

It is looking like RIM is going for a record in plummeting stock prices or something.

Well RIM is planning on buying back a lot of their stock.....

07-21-10 06:20 PM
    I'm usually not one for giving a death knell, but....

Man, SOMEBODY at RIM must have slept through the chapter on Market Share in marketing class. Seriously, this company is in great heap consumer denial. Sad, because declining market share is contagious and directly related to stock price. The enterprise market will soon follow the consumer market as other companies *knock knock* **pound pound** RIM's self-inflated, yet fragile and shrinking corner of the communications device pool.
    07-22-10 12:28 AM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD