08-06-10 07:58 AM
98 123 ...
tools
    If you've all seen the post on crackberry home page about the Storm 3.... Only a REFRESH of the Storm 2 at this stage of the game!? Come on RIM, definitely a let down. And to think I was so excited when those Salomondrin rumors came out a couple of weeks back stating things like 1 GHz processor and 1 gig of RAM....
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 07-19-10 at 06:10 PM.
    07-19-10 06:00 PM
    If you've all seen the post on crackberry home page about the Storm 3.... Only a REFRESH of the Storm 2 at this stage of the game!? Come on RIM, definitely a let down. And to think I was so excited when those Salomondrin rumors came out a couple of weeks back stating things like 1 gig processor and 1GHz of RAM....
    ya, the "storm3" is this Odin Refresh... but supposedly the "Storm4", which will come out as one of Verizon's first LTE phones will be dropped March/April 2011, and that will be that new RIM touch screen device with 1gig processor, and its own special touch screen OS, etc etc.. (those are the rumors I"ve heard at least)
    07-19-10 06:06 PM
    I don't know. I don't see the sense in putting out a Storm 2 refresh for the holidays and then 4 months later drop the Storm 4. Create an awesome Storm 3 and put the damn thing out on the market for people to purchase. I really don't understand some of RIM's business plans/choices.
    07-19-10 06:11 PM
    How ridiculous! I think S2 was my last touchscreen BB
    07-19-10 06:14 PM
    IMO, a "S2 refresh" would be the biggest flop RIM has ever released. If a S2 with more memory comes out, it would need to be priced at <$100 ($50?) and it probably would STILL be a rip off. I just don't see the point unless it is to have two touch screen devices, one as an entry level (S2 refresh) and a new high end one.

The problem is I think most of the S1 users will have bailed by the time the S3 comes out. I hope this is wrong.

Scott
    07-19-10 06:19 PM
    My wife saw no need for the S2 upgrade.
    Unless I get a better browser and bigger screen; no need for a S3.
    Unfortunately, if I leave I may not come back.
    07-19-10 07:30 PM
    Can we get some clarification from CX, Sal, or radio (has anyone seen radio in a while - is he still around?) about the "refresh"?

I don't actually see a problem with it, if it is just a refresh. Most people don't know or care about LTE but will with something they can actually see/use, like the OS. Get them a new phone that they can use with a new/better(?) OS, and the rest of us that know what LTE is can wait patiently (or not) for the "real" S3 to come out with LTE.

If it actually is the S3, then I won't be upgrading to it. I'll buy a used S2 on craigslist for $100 and be plenty happy with that upgrade from my S1 until something worthy of me signing my life away for 2 more years comes along.
    07-19-10 08:14 PM
    How ridiculous! I think S2 was my last touchscreen BB
    is that a promise?
    07-19-10 08:19 PM
    Can we get some clarification from CX, Sal, or radio (has anyone seen radio in a while - is he still around?) about the "refresh"?

I don't actually see a problem with it, if it is just a refresh. Most people don't know or care about LTE but will with something they can actually see/use, like the OS. Get them a new phone that they can use with a new/better(?) OS, and the rest of us that know what LTE is can wait patiently (or not) for the "real" S3 to come out with LTE.

If it actually is the S3, then I won't be upgrading to it. I'll buy a used S2 on craigslist for $100 and be plenty happy with that upgrade from my S1 until something worthy of me signing my life away for 2 more years comes along.
    What good is a clarification on rumors?? It's just MORE RUMOR. Sit tight, and wait to see what ACTUALLY gets released. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make decisions based on rumor and innuendo.
    07-19-10 08:20 PM
    What good is a clarification on rumors?? It's just MORE RUMOR. Sit tight, and wait to see what ACTUALLY gets released. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make decisions based on rumor and innuendo.
    Because a clarification from CX and company is as good as fact to me and others as they have a great track record for being right.
    07-19-10 08:27 PM
    Because a clarification from CX and company is as good as fact to me and others as they have a great track record for being right.
    Right....sigh. IMO, nothing is as "good as fact" except official release news.
    07-19-10 09:41 PM
    +1 to that!

But yah... I feel like this S2 refresh is just dumb... even though it will get the new browser and OS6 ... OS6 isn't all that... and the S2 hardware is getting 'old'

I will definitely wait for the March '11 S3/S4 release with the totally new screen technology and its own touch based OS ... since we all know that RIM basically put their normal keypad OS on a touch screen and it just didn't work as well as planned for the Storm series so far. ...
    07-19-10 10:43 PM
    Guys, what choice does RIM have? If they just wait to drop the S3 in 2011, people bail anyways, especially when OS6 doesn't run on their Storm2s. If they at least provide an upgraded S2, people can read good reviews about OS6 (and if they are cheap enough perhaps even buy them) to keep press more positive until they can announce the real S3 in Q1 2011.
    07-20-10 02:11 AM
    No new processor mentioned either. I am very disappointed at this point. Upgrade to S3 for what? 6-8 min boot time still. (The most frustrating part)Wait 8 months more, again, for hopefully, finally the perfect storm. I have to say all the great news running around and now this?! If it's a glorified S2 i will loose all faith in RIM. You have all these other manufactures with multiple handsets, and they're totally redesign em with way better goodies from prior model. Not wait a year for a better camera and more internal memory. Best we could come up with. Very disappointing!
    07-20-10 04:55 AM
    You have all these other manufactures with multiple handsets, and they're totally redesign em with way better goodies from prior model.
    Oh yeah... Just look at all those HTC models. Each one is so much different than the last... Or how about them iPhones prior to number four? That Palm Pre Plus was also a major step up as well, don't you think?

The point is, not every annual update or upgrade to a product line will be a major overhaul. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then don't buy. It's not like anybody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to upgrade.
    07-20-10 05:22 AM
    07-20-10 08:27 AM
    I'd like to see what he has to say today... not a month ago.

Really find it hard to belive that RIM would be testing a future device that may not be released until next year. S3 has got to be coming soon or RIM has really dropped the ball!
    07-20-10 11:25 AM
    I'd like to see what he has to say today... not a month ago.

Really find it hard to belive that RIM would be testing a future device that may not be released until next year. S3 has got to be coming soon or RIM has really dropped the ball!
    It makes sense that they are in final stages of Pre Production Testing for a device that will release in a few months. So if they are testing the S3 (Sal's Specs) and it will be ready for a November release (even if VZW holds it until Jan or later) Than they should be in final testing so that they can turn devices over to VZW for testing and than ramp up production in Time.

What doesn't make sense to me is the new "Refresh" device suddenly appearing as a rumor. If they are looking to release this in Nov, or any time this year, it is surprising we have not heard anything to date on this.

To me it just seems like anything other than releasing the version of the S3 that Sal referenced is a total FAIL on RIM's part.

Of course the refresh could be LTE capable and drop of Black Friday, and the S4 could be a concept device running QNX based OS which we won't see until Q4 2011, etc. etc.

Fotta love Rumors.
    07-20-10 11:38 AM
    It makes sense that they are in final stages of Pre Production Testing for a device that will release in a few months. So if they are testing the S3 (Sal's Specs) and it will be ready for a November release (even if VZW holds it until Jan or later) Than they should be in final testing so that they can turn devices over to VZW for testing and than ramp up production in Time.

What doesn't make sense to me is the new "Refresh" device suddenly appearing as a rumor. If they are looking to release this in Nov, or any time this year, it is surprising we have not heard anything to date on this.

To me it just seems like anything other than releasing the version of the S3 that Sal referenced is a total FAIL on RIM's part.

Of course the refresh could be LTE capable and drop of Black Friday, and the S4 could be a concept device running QNX based OS which we won't see until Q4 2011, etc. etc.

Fotta love Rumors.
    Could be that the S2a (S3?) is just a misunderstanding of what is coming. Confusing the release of OS6 with the "new" S3 OS. At least I HOPE this is the case!

I really need to hear something in the next couple weeks. If for no other reason than I want a new phone with built-in My-Fi! Of course a larger screen would also be VERY nice!

Scott
    07-20-10 11:42 AM
    I just wish that it would come to Sprint (although I doubt it ever will). But on the other hand I might miss my physical keyboard too much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 11:51 AM
    What RIM needs to do first and foremost is clean up all the paper clutter on their office desks because it seems they themselves are confused on what's going on or going to happen.

Either RIM gets on the ball here or just come out with an official public statement saying "We are not interested in creating devices which cater to the consumer market and instead will be solely focusing on devices used in business settings". Then I can peacefully say ok they are focused on creating business devices which don't need 5+ megapixel cameras or super high def displays and media players and I then can start comparing Android OS devices for purchase.

But the fact that I like Blackberry and they are pulling these stunts (yes in today's world/market I am calling something like an "odin refresh" a stunt) is very irritating.
    07-20-10 11:59 AM
    OS6 can run on 256 mb devices

Bell Getting the BlackBerry Curve 9300; Branded as Curve 3G | BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

Okay, So it appears that the New curve 9300 has 256 mb of ram. So unless that gets held back from release and the memory updated to 512 i am going with 256 mb devices running OS6. And since Carrier marketing material is already in the wild showing 256 mb, i am thinking that won't happen.

Clearly they pulled the 9650 back and upped the memory to 512 for a very, very good reason. They took a stock hit and everything for not getting that out the door on time. The fact that curve 9300 is releasing after the 9650 and has less memory to me means it can support OS6. Unless they are so nuts as to say the curve will never have os6, but we won't even go there.
    07-20-10 12:17 PM
    I do not believe this to be a Storm 3 at all. Just a Storm 2 Upgrade, much like upgrading the Curves hardware. Not a major revision as going from a Storm 1 to a 2.
    07-20-10 02:17 PM
    I just hope that this refresh hits more than one US carrier.
    07-20-10 03:21 PM
    So we could possibly see this Storm2 Refresh the same time we see the Storm3(totally new device). One as an OS6 running upgrade of the Storm2, and one as a totally new blackberry touch screen device

Could this 'refresh' almost be a recall of some sort... I doubt it, but who knows.
    07-20-10 04:10 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD