04-01-10 02:29 AM
92 1234
tools
    Let me shine some light on the 512mb from a developer point of view...

Sure 512mb sounds like nothing compared to the iphones 16gb and various other sizes, but if you think about it the 512mb on the BB is very comparable to the 16gb on that of the iPhone. An average application on an iPhone is roughly 100+mb and can be as large as a gig. On the BB though most apps are only 100kb and can be as large as 3mb. If you do the math, the amount of apps each device can hold is about the same.

Once RIM adds openGL on all their newer devices and developers start to program high quality 3d games though then we're in for some problems. Until that happens though 512mb is more then enough for even the most heavy blackberry users.
    12-26-09 04:50 PM
    in april we will hear about it... in march sal will show us one.. gonna be a great year
    12-26-09 11:32 PM
    I think the new storm needs to have the keyboard, because on its current provider Verizon, there are just more appealing phones of the type, both in my opinion and the opinions of the customers. The droid and the hero both draw more customers, but I think if the new storm had a sliding keyboard, it would be a more appealing product to the masses.
    12-27-09 12:09 AM
    19 second boot time huh? I'll believe it when I see it.
    Check this out: Storm 3 Hands on

..oh and this is someone who I trust
    12-27-09 06:53 AM
    That whole Storm 3 hands on thing sounds interesting, I'd be inclined to not believe it but you seem adamant that this guy knows his stuff, so, ill take it with a grain of salt.

As for what he said, thinner I can buy, great screen (oled?) I can buy, quick boot time isn't out of the realm of possibility (maybe they finally fitted the storm with some solid hardware?), browser, well, I hope to god that its as good as he says (and that the newer blackberries get it too). The only thing I don't get is the whole widget part, idk why everyone loves them, there just icons that you can move around the screen.

Other than that, most of it sounds plausible but ill reserve judgement till I see it running for myself.
    12-27-09 09:48 AM
    Why would 512MB of RAM be cool? I guess it'll help speed processing along some. The real question is, how much OS/App Flash memory does it have? Two totally different things. I will tell you this. If they made a mistake and 512MB is the app flash memory on the S3, RIM's not learning anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed. Unless the 512 is just for the OS and apps can run off the onboard memory then this will be better but still the same failed architecture.

12-27-09 10:20 AM
    Too bad we've already heard more people with reputable sources say that Storm 3/Talladega will be a slider.
    12-27-09 10:57 AM
    Let me shine some light on the 512mb from a developer point of view...

Sure 512mb sounds like nothing compared to the iphones 16gb and various other sizes, but if you think about it the 512mb on the BB is very comparable to the 16gb on that of the iPhone. An average application on an iPhone is roughly 100+mb and can be as large as a gig. On the BB though most apps are only 100kb and can be as large as 3mb. If you do the math, the amount of apps each device can hold is about the same.

Once RIM adds openGL on all their newer devices and developers start to program high quality 3d games though then we're in for some problems. Until that happens though 512mb is more then enough for even the most heavy blackberry users.
    But....if they are planning to add all this to the same old OS then I think this will change nothing and because of the troublesome application development process, Blackberry devices will still have the most expensive apps, games, themes, etc and we are no further ahead than where we are now.

Example:

Beejive on iPhone - $6.99
    Beejive on Blackberry - $19.95 or $29.95

Ummmm....what the fack? Something needs to change...
    12-27-09 01:54 PM
    Sal sent a tweet last week saying something about it having a portrait slider keyboard not landscape...but it's too soon to tell what the final outcome will be.

As for 512..still thinks that's a bit small. Looking at the demos of the openGL software from the last show I think it will eaten up really quick..
    12-29-09 12:12 AM
    wow... storm 3 making already nice.
    12-29-09 05:48 PM
    RIM needs to realize that they need to allow apps to be saved on the flash drive. The technology is already there. The only way they can circum navigate this solution is upping the onboard memory up to the gigs.

12-29-09 06:17 PM
    Is there any word about when it will hit the market?

I think they should make the onboard at least equal to the iPhone and also allow it to use the sd Card for apps. You have to make it at least equivalent to the competition, and adding the ability to easily upgrade the memory size, would be a big bonus over the iPhone.
    01-09-10 08:57 PM
    Rumors have this a Q3/Q4 2010 release.
    01-10-10 11:22 AM
    Why would 512MB of RAM be cool? I guess it'll help speed processing along some. The real question is, how much OS/App Flash memory does it have? Two totally different things. I will tell you this. If they made a mistake and 512MB is the app flash memory on the S3, RIM's not learning anything.

What an ignorant post...

Applications are ran on RAM memory... Effectively doubling the amount of RAM means we will have A LOT more application memory... The OS only takes up about 120-130 MB... That means for storm 2 owners, we got about 130 MB for application storage... Increase that RAM to 512 MB means that we will have about 380 MB for application storage... More than twice the amount that the S2 offers... I have yet to see anyone even come close to maxing out the S2 memory...
    01-11-10 02:54 PM
    What we need in this Storm 3 is MULTITOUCH I guess ......
    01-12-10 03:47 AM
    They but only what you need for ram for a reason it is cheaper because if your putting like 4 gig that will cost them more so they put what people need they need a faster chip like a snapdragon or something in that sort

01-12-10 06:11 AM
    What an ignorant post...

Applications are ran on RAM memory... Effectively doubling the amount of RAM means we will have A LOT more application memory... The OS only takes up about 120-130 MB... That means for storm 2 owners, we got about 130 MB for application storage... Increase that RAM to 512 MB means that we will have about 380 MB for application storage... More than twice the amount that the S2 offers... I have yet to see anyone even come close to maxing out the S2 memory...
    All true. But what about 3D graphic apps that support OpenGL? I believe they will have a much larger memory footprint, no?

01-12-10 07:42 AM
    What we need in this Storm 3 is MULTITOUCH I guess ......
    S1 has multitouch (do a copy or select several messages at the same time) and S2 added multiclick (hold down shift and then type out several #'s and the release shift and go back to the alpha keyboard, whereas on S1 you have to Click and Hold shift and the click shift again when you are done with the #'s). So I am guessing it will be in the S3.

01-12-10 07:46 AM
    looks pretty cool
    01-14-10 05:02 PM
    I hate qwerty sliders... Doesn't interest me...
    01-14-10 05:12 PM
    I hate qwerty sliders... Doesn't interest me...
    Have to agree. I don't like sliding keyboards. Every one I've tried ends up feeling like cheap plastic that could snap off with one drop onto a hard surface.

01-15-10 08:30 PM
    Now I am up for an upgrade and have been toying around with the Storm 2....If the Storm 3 is for real should I get the Storm 2 or hold off til this is released whenever that may be?
    01-16-10 12:01 PM
    Now I am up for an upgrade and have been toying around with the Storm 2....If the Storm 3 is for real should I get the Storm 2 or hold off til this is released whenever that may be?
    If you can wait, go with a storm 3. Especially since the the storm 1 and 2 are probably going to be "end of life'd" once the 3 comes out.
    01-16-10 12:29 PM
    What an ignorant post...

And what about when Open GL and WebKit comes along full swing? What then?
    Last edited by limjelo; 01-16-10 at 06:55 PM.
    01-16-10 02:45 PM
    Battery life is very important to me. Hopefully its far better than other touchscreens

01-16-10 04:56 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD