09-29-10 03:19 PM
161 ... 4567
tools
    Had blackberry for years, just finally got a login on the site here. I always thought the storm was interesting, but never was much for just having a touchscreen. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the smartphone world in general. I really do not want to get a pure touchscreen phone if I can help it, but that's the general trend of everything. Yeah, the Motorola Droid has a keyboard, but it just plain sucks. I like my BB (love the fact that it has a physical keypad, only complaint is the trackball which is cured by the trackpad in the Bold) but I'd love to see better performance out of it. Performance and versatility makes the Androids attractive, but the lack of a decent keyboard makes it EXTREMELY unattractive IMO. The only Andriod phone with a halfway decent keyboard is the LG Ally, but performance wise it's behind. My dilemma is this: Stick with Blackberry and keep the keyboard that is perfect for me but suffer through the performance issues or go to Android and while I'd have good performance I'd lose the keyboard and I know i would never enjoy the touchscreen. The Storm would make that transition a little more palatable with the surepress, but I'd still never be truly happy. Is there ever going to be anything decent anymore for those of us that prefer decent physical keypads (NOT the POS that the Droid has for a keypad either)???
    You might be interested in the Droid 2
    09-09-10 01:38 AM
    Played with Droid 2 as well. Still didn't care for the keyboard all that much. In the end, I may just put up with what I'm used to. As someone else mentioned, it still does email better than anyone else. I just wish my army email supported something other than windows mobile ugh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 02:01 AM
    Played with Droid 2 as well. Still didn't care for the keyboard all that much. In the end, I may just put up with what I'm used to. As someone else mentioned, it still does email better than anyone else. I just wish my army email supported something other than windows mobile ugh.

It was the only thing i could think of
    Funny, I have two brothers in the service; one is active Reservist and uses the original Droid and the other is retired Army and has always used iPhone for it's global capabilities. I'm not certain either has their email tied to those devices though.
    09-09-10 02:11 AM
    You bring up another point on an advantage for Blackberry. My Tour (and the Bold will be the same way if I go to it) is a worldphone. The Bold can even be unlocked to stick a SIM card from a foreign provider in as well. I have family that lives overseas so that's also a big thing. Nothing I couldn't live without, but still very nice

09-09-10 12:14 PM
    camaro, I think just like me, your looking for a BB Bold with a sure press touch screen for navigation and clicking, but with a physical keyboard and form factor of a Bold. Not a Torch with a slider, just a regular bold with the extra "tech.". Its my dream device as well as for many others. So far the word is that its called the magnum/dakota but lets just hope and pray it comes to light and with better RAM, processor, and display resolution so it can compete and still be the best BB for business users as well.
    09-09-10 12:52 PM
    if the new storm (4G?) is coming in the spring, what is the point of the refresh at all? its just to push more units. bold 9700 has the same flash memory as the storm2 and yet it will be able to run os6 and storm won't. flash memory isn't the problem here, seems to be more complex then that. if the only thing changed on the refresh is the flash memory, why not just throw an otterbox case on it and say its a new phone altogether? if they change more of the guts then that, then yeah it could run os6. if thats the case then carriers should be offering free or next to free upgrades for those of us who have had the s2 for the mere 9 months its been out. (5 if you are on Bell!) thats kinda a slap in the face if they dont.
    It's already been stated that OS6 is not as easy to upgrade on non-touch devices compared to touch devices. The OS simply does not have the same memory requirements for touch vs non-touch. Therefore the fact that the 9700 can upgrade to OS6 has zero bearing on the S2.
    09-09-10 02:04 PM
    if the new storm (4G?) is coming in the spring, what is the point of the refresh at all? its just to push more units. bold 9700 has the same flash memory as the storm2 and yet it will be able to run os6 and storm won't. flash memory isn't the problem here, seems to be more complex then that. if the only thing changed on the refresh is the flash memory, why not just throw an otterbox case on it and say its a new phone altogether? if they change more of the guts then that, then yeah it could run os6. if thats the case then carriers should be offering free or next to free upgrades for those of us who have had the s2 for the mere 9 months its been out. (5 if you are on Bell!) thats kinda a slap in the face if they dont.
    It is and it isn't. With the S2 the memory requirements seem to be a lot more and it's something to do with the touchscreen software. When I'm loading an OS I shrink out everything I don't want/need and add my apps in beforehand, total mem calculated is ~65mb. After loading, my free space is about 130mb free. With OS6 already at 200mb it mathematically won't fit, although it would seem there's a specific issue in regards to SurePress. I still have my doubts but then I'm one of those irritated that I can't have it.
    09-09-10 02:23 PM
    I was at the Verizon Store last night. I have the first storm that's just about dead. I figured I would try every phone they had to see if something was comparable. Unfortunately, only the storm 2 would do it for me. I love the touch screen on the Storm. Anyway, he told me to try to hold out because the storm 3 will be released in November. Or he said to get the storm 2 in October and return it within the 30 days which the 3 will probably be out by then. I didn't like to hear the word Probably.....we all know what that means. But, I think I have no choice... I can only stay on the phone for under a minute before my battery drains completely. LOL not a good sign.
    09-14-10 01:06 PM
    Get a new battery and see if that will hold you through...it would be better than getting a s2 2 months before the 3 launches......

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-14-10 01:09 PM
    I was at the Verizon Store last night. I have the first storm that's just about dead. I figured I would try every phone they had to see if something was comparable. Unfortunately, only the storm 2 would do it for me. I love the touch screen on the Storm. Anyway, he told me to try to hold out because the storm 3 will be released in November. Or he said to get the storm 2 in October and return it within the 30 days which the 3 will probably be out by then. I didn't like to hear the word Probably.....we all know what that means. But, I think I have no choice... I can only stay on the phone for under a minute before my battery drains completely. LOL not a good sign.
    Ditto what cplush said. Did you go to a sales-only store? I'm surprised they didn't say anything about a new battery if you don't want to burn your upgrade. With the probable release looming close I echo holding out if possible.
    09-14-10 01:27 PM
    I agree with genomos and cplush said, especially since the S3 he's talking about is most likely the S2.5 everyone's been griping about (myself included) and not the real S3/S4 most of us are expecting in March or April.
    09-14-10 01:31 PM
    ===== QUOTE patriotsgrrl ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Ditto what cplush said. Did you go to a sales-only store? I'm surprised they didn't say anything about a new battery if you don't want to burn your upgrade. With the probable release looming close I echo holding out if possible.
    Batteries are like $20-30 on amazon...

09-14-10 01:33 PM
    You should try to get a battery for your storm too hold you over till the storm 3 is out. I have a storm and it is starting to act kind of funny but I'm going to hold out and see wht the storm 3 is like. And either use my upgrade for that or probably get a droid. Although, I would much rather stick with BB.

09-14-10 01:48 PM
    Already have NE2 eligibility right now, dont know if I can hold off for the 2.5 let alone the storm3
    09-14-10 04:57 PM
    Already have NE2 eligibility right now, dont know if I can hold off for the 2.5 let alone the storm3
    Don't blow an upgrade on the S2 at this point. That would be a horrific waste.

09-14-10 05:01 PM
    He did look at my Storm and I guess it's not the battery. I wish it was. When I press on the A the L shows up.... It's really screwed up. Not to mention I have little cracks everywhere on the screen. (I guess I'm a little hard on phones). I'm just hoping that he's telling me the truth when he said to order the storm 2 and return it when the new one comes. Or, I guess I could always add a line and give the Storm 2 away to someone.
    I just really really don't want a droid.
    09-14-10 06:30 PM
    Now that makes sense. It would also allow them to release a "Torch" branded thin touch screen (no slider please!!!) phone to replace the Storm line of phones. I just hope we start to see some leaks to that effect.

Salomandrin...where are you?
    There have been rumblings on Twitter that this is the case. Storm 3 will be a Storm2 (Odin) Refresh and the rumored Storm 4 will not be a Storm. There was no mention of it being branded as a Torch, but that would make sense.

All though I had also read somewhere that RIM is not doing away with the Storm series anytime soon. With as often as phones come out now a days "anytime soon" could easily mean that it'll only be around for another 6 months to a year.

Guess we'll see.

Really looking forward to some sort of touch screen BB that actually works. Had a Storm and Storm 2. Loved the screen and the surepress. Just hated all the bugs. If the Storm2 refresh or Storm 3 plus OS6 does away with most of bugs then I maybe willing to jump on it. I could do with going back and forth between the Storm 3 and my Bold. Just like when I got the Storm1 while I had a Curve 8330. Miss switching it up now and then.

All though having said all that.....If I was a current Storm2 user/owner awating my next upgrade I would probably be pretty disapointed with the Odin refresh.
    09-15-10 12:01 PM
    Batteries are like $20-30 on amazon...

A friend of mine went in to a Verizon Corp. store hoping to get his Storm 1 replaced with a Storm 2 because his battery would only last about an hour after it was fully charged.
    They immedately offered him a new battery. Unfortuantely that didn;t help and he got maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours out of it. They replaced his Storm1 with another Storm1 right on the spot. I didn't think stores even had any Storm 1's in stock. It looks to be brand new.

Needless to say he was pretty disapointed. Happy to get a phopne that lasts but disapointed that they had a Storm1 to give him. This was just this past Saturday.
    09-15-10 12:07 PM
    ...Really looking forward to some sort of touch screen BB that actually works. Had a Storm and Storm 2. Loved the screen and the surepress. Just hated all the bugs. If the Storm2 refresh or Storm 3 plus OS6 does away with most of bugs then I maybe willing to jump on it...
    I don't know if that will ever happen to some people...I have a Storm2 from day one and I can't figure out what "bugs" you are speaking of? There may be one or two, but ALL phones have those. For the most part mine has worked flawlessly, but others have had to replace theirs 5,6,7 even 10 times? So no matter what RIM comes up with, I doubt it will be "bug-free" to everybody.
    09-15-10 12:29 PM
    I'm sure they have plenty of untouched S1s around... :/
    09-15-10 12:29 PM
    I don't know if that will ever happen to some people...I have a Storm2 from day one and I can't figure out what "bugs" you are speaking of? There may be one or two, but ALL phones have those. For the most part mine has worked flawlessly, but others have had to replace theirs 5,6,7 even 10 times? So no matter what RIM comes up with, I doubt it will be "bug-free" to everybody.
    It depends on what constitutes your definition of "bug". mkurz, this isn't directed at you btw. Seems to be two definitions in Crackberrian terminology: Def 1 concerns true glitches, and/or poorly coded software. Def 2 is simply an expression of frustration over something not working as expected.
    My wife is a great example of Def 2 - all systems in our home have linux and windows simply because she refuses to use linux. Why? Linux is "buggy". There's more errors that need attention in windows but since she doesn't know how to use linux and doesn't know what to expect from it she considers it to be a crap product. Basically if it's not living up to expectations then many people pass off the problems that they experience as "bugs". This in and of itself is not a problem, as customers it's perfectly reasonable to demand to get what one pays for.
    09-15-10 01:00 PM
    It depends on what constitutes your definition of "bug". mkurz, this isn't directed at you btw. Seems to be two definitions in Crackberrian terminology: Def 1 concerns true glitches, and/or poorly coded software. Def 2 is simply an expression of frustration over something not working as expected.
    My wife is a great example of Def 2 - all systems in our home have linux and windows simply because she refuses to use linux. Why? Linux is "buggy". There's more errors that need attention in windows but since she doesn't know how to use linux and doesn't know what to expect from it she considers it to be a crap product. Basically if it's not living up to expectations then many people pass off the problems that they experience as "bugs". This in and of itself is not a problem, as customers it's perfectly reasonable to demand to get what one pays for.
    This what I was trying to say...sometimes there is a REAL bug and other times they are the person's expectations, and, since all of us have different expectations, we will never agree or be happy with a particular product.
    09-15-10 01:11 PM
    This what I was trying to say...sometimes there is a REAL bug and other times they are the person's expectations, and, since all of us have different expectations, we will never agree or be happy with a particular product.
    Totally agree. The only real bug I have with my current device is the voice distortion on calls using .713. I use Opera Mini and Bolt (which ARE buggy) to make up for what the native browser lacks, but the native browser is NOT buggy - if it had tabbed browsing and rendered pages OM/Bolt-style I'd be happy, it's just as fast rendering as those two. There's occasional glitches, don't get me wrong; and I'd be impressed if RIM irradicates those anytime in the near future. But they're nothing I can't live with beacause they don't slow me down - if they did I'd would have handed this back eons ago and gone with something else. Guaranteed this will be happening with the refresh and new Storm as well, even if RIM improves on software/hardware issues there'll be users still finding something lacking and some will have real problems.
    09-15-10 01:44 PM
    He did look at my Storm and I guess it's not the battery. I wish it was. When I press on the A the L shows up.... It's really screwed up. Not to mention I have little cracks everywhere on the screen. (I guess I'm a little hard on phones). I'm just hoping that he's telling me the truth when he said to order the storm 2 and return it when the new one comes. Or, I guess I could always add a line and give the Storm 2 away to someone.
    I just really really don't want a droid.
    Ordering and returning sounds really dicey since no one knows for sure when it'll be released; if it's hardware you might be better off getting something used for a few months until new releases hit stores so you can save your upgrade.
    And I can sympathize about not wanting a droid, I had an issue a while back, and there was a brief moment where going Droid was being considered as a solution; once VZW realized I wasn't going to settle for anything less than keeping this device they fell all over themselves to get it resolved. Exceptional customer service.
    09-15-10 01:54 PM
    A friend of mine went in to a Verizon Corp. store hoping to get his Storm 1 replaced with a Storm 2 because his battery would only last about an hour after it was fully charged.
    They immedately offered him a new battery. Unfortuantely that didn;t help and he got maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours out of it. They replaced his Storm1 with another Storm1 right on the spot. I didn't think stores even had any Storm 1's in stock. It looks to be brand new.

Needless to say he was pretty disapointed. Happy to get a phopne that lasts but disapointed that they had a Storm1 to give him. This was just this past Saturday.
    That sounds interesting! Mine is past warranty though... Was your friend's S1 still under warranty?
    09-15-10 06:20 PM
161 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD