09-29-10 03:19 PM
161 ... 34567
tools
    hey sal where are you?
    09-02-10 04:01 PM
    Oh how I would like for this to be true. But somehow I doubt it. The ONLY way that RIM can hold their ground in this segment is to launch a Storm with a larger higher resolution screen, over 1GHZ processor, more memory and of course - better camera. Anything short of that will just be for Storm fans...while the bulk of touch screen BB users continue their mass exodus to Android devices.

As far as RIM's partnership with Verizon on the Storm...VZW doesn't care. Right now they are selling as many Android phones as they can bring out - so having a pthetic Storm2.5 refresh will not hurt their sales. At this point, Motorola and HTC are positioning themselves to take over RIM's dominance at VZW. Finally - if and when the iPhone4 comes to Verizon...RIM is dead.

All that could change if they brought out a truly class leading Storm replacement. But I am not holding my breath. The Torch is pathetic - so I fear RIM has lost its edge.

Sal - where are you?
    Based on his tweets Sal is chillin on a tropical island.

I'd say RIM's dominance at VZW ended the day the droid came to be. All of VZW's attention is on droids. Look at the awesome marketing campaign. The tweets and games and movies. **** the Star Wars tie ins with the R2 D2 edition if f'n genius.

That being said I agree that the smartest thing RIM could do is get the Storm that Sal leaked specs for out in October. They can say it's 3G and that it will support 4G at a later date. Take the hit on it not being part of the LTE release but get it out before the holidays this year.

And they need to demo it at Dev Con this month.

Of course that may cause people to wonder what is going on in Waterloo since they just dropped BB6. A lot of torch owners and several carriers might be a bit pissed off.

It all makes me wonder what they see going to do with the QNX OS and when that really will make an appearance.

Of course I will be wonfring from android land come late October/November.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by The_Engine; 09-02-10 at 04:07 PM.
    09-02-10 04:04 PM
    Based on his tweets Sal is chillin on a tropical island.

I'd say RIM's dominance at VZW ended the day the droid came to be. All of VZW's attention is on droids. Look at the awesome marketing campaign. The tweets and games and movies. **** the Star Wars tie ins with the R2 D2 edition if f'n genius.

That being said I agree that the smartest thing RIM could do is get the Storm that Sal leaked specs for out in October. They can say it's 3G and that it will support 4G at a later date. Take the hit on it not being part of the LTE release but get it out before the holidays this year.

And they need to demo it at Dev Con this month.

Of course that may cause people to wonder what is going on in Waterloo since they just dropped BB6. A lot of torch owners and several carriers might be a bit pissed off.

It all makes me wonder what they see going to do with the QNX OS and when that really will make an appearance.

Of course I will be wonfring from android land come late October/November.

I am beginning to think RIM is chilling on an tropical island somewhere instead of developing class leading touch screen mobile devices.

Agreed - VZW has turned its focus on Droids...which is playing out very well for them.
    09-03-10 08:05 AM
    ...It all makes me wonder what they see going to do with the QNX OS and when that really will make an appearance...
    Does anybody know how easy it will be to do the new BB O/S on QNX? I mean, is this a HUGH undertaking, or is there a program to port it over to QNX, or is it simple to program in? It seems to take RIM so long now to develop/update an O/S, will it ake a year or more for us to see it on a BB, or simply a few months?
    09-03-10 08:55 AM
    Does anybody know how easy it will be to do the new BB O/S on QNX? I mean, is this a HUGH undertaking, or is there a program to port it over to QNX, or is it simple to program in? It seems to take RIM so long now to develop/update an O/S, will it ake a year or more for us to see it on a BB, or simply a few months?
    The Blackberry tablet coming out this Nov. runs on the QNX OS. So no, it is not hard for them to develop a QNX OS. Besides, QNX embedded OSs currently already run on Acuras, Audis, Caterpillers, etc.
    09-03-10 03:17 PM
    Back to the original post, the 9320 (I'm assuming -20 since its cdma) curve 3G is on the october rebate form but no s3. Most likely holidays I'm guessing to take advantage of the holidays

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-05-10 07:39 AM
    I'm not as technically savvy as most of you but I know a little about marketing.

I can't decide if RIM and VZW have a poor strategy or no strategy at all. What looked like a good partnership seems to have fallen apart.

VZW is in the driver's seat and RIM looks like it may follow in the steps of KODAK and IBM who were market leaders at one time and fell asleep in the boardroom.
    09-05-10 08:01 AM
    I'm not as technically savvy as most of you but I know a little about marketing.

I can't decide if RIM and VZW have a poor strategy or no strategy at all. What looked like a good partnership seems to have fallen apart.

VZW is in the driver's seat and RIM looks like it may follow in the steps of KODAK and IBM who were market leaders at one time and fell asleep in the boardroom.
    I think verizon has dropped blackberry as a main manufacturer and OS. They are total android at this point. S4 is rumored to be the first LTE device on verizon, but that has quieted down lately. I think verizon is disallusioned with the lack of creativity and the lack of market awareness coming out of waterloo.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-05-10 05:33 PM
    Its just good business for verizon to run with android. It has been very beneficial not just lucratively, but in adding value to the verizon brand.

Look at the marketing verizon pours on the droid offerings. But consider are people just that into the android OS or are they into the hardware?

Often times when I talk to smartphones users they cite the hardware specs.. The OS seems to be secondary.

I bet if RIM played the hardware spec game people would flock. If samsung is offering 5 MP RIM just needs to come out with 8.. and so on.

Going back to the topic. If the storm three could just have a faster processor and more RAM I would be happy. It can look the same, but I just want it to function more efficiently.. It is already effective at doing what I want, but does not do it efficiently..
    09-05-10 11:04 PM
    I look at it this way. I am buying the hardware. The software comes free with it. They give you software updates for free. So yes when I buy it I want the device to appear to be able to last 2 years. The only way you do that at the time of purchase is by the specs.

09-06-10 02:44 PM
    I tend to agree with The engine yes we are buying hardware and it needs the software to run so I would say its a 60/40 split the hardware as 60% the better the hardware the easier and faster the software runs with less issues, so the most ram availble is best. But one of the benifits is the software upgrades to keep enhancing the experience till next hardware comes out!!!!
    09-06-10 04:40 PM
    I think verizon has dropped blackberry as a main manufacturer and OS. They are total android at this point. S4 is rumored to be the first LTE device on verizon, but that has quieted down lately. I think verizon is disallusioned with the lack of creativity and the lack of market awareness coming out of waterloo.
    I don't think Verizon ever considered BlackBerry a "main manufacturer." BB definitely favored the GSM network and as Verizon grew they started making more CDMA models. But just three years ago they only carried the 8130 Pearl and the 8830 World Edition...not even a Curve. They seemed to take forever to get a Curve, never did get a Bold, finally got a Tour. It always seemed as though that GSM got the newer, faster models before big Red. The Storm was really the only model they got exclusively...did that sour Verizon against them? It seems a year after Verizon started pushing Androids...the Storm2 came out with VERY LITTLE fanfare, and a couple weeks later the Droid hit the airwaves and Verizon has been advertising the heck out of them since...I'm sure that upset RIM. Are they BOTH upset with each other? What's happen to the S3 or even the refresh? NO offical word from ANYBODY...what gives?
    09-06-10 08:08 PM
    RIM better start producing something appealing quick. The Torch didn't exactly shake the pillars of heaven- nearly all the reviews tore it a new one and sales are tepid at best- and with share value eroding and market share declining while Droid is on the rise faster than all the other smartphone manufacturers... well, it's time for RIM to finally put up or shut up.

I plan on snatching a Storm 3/Odin refresh/storm 2.5/whatever you want to call it the second it hits the shelves at the local store. I am starting to wonder, though, why we haven't heard anything more substantial about this new storm yet all the rumors are pointing to an October release. We are almost at mid September, time is running out for them to have something out by October. Look at the Torch; everybody knew about it including hardware specs and it seemed only Rim wasn't talking about it months before it hit the stores.

P.S.- I want one of those new rim tablets too. Gotta wonder how stubborn rim is by not trying to stay in the game.
    09-06-10 08:24 PM
    I for one am hoping RIM has seen the light. People don't want "refresh" BS. Scrap the Storm 2.5 and get the Storm 3 with the rumored better specs out on the market by Christmas.
    09-06-10 11:23 PM
    For those who play phone specs game.. The phone below would mean, when the Storm 4 is released it will still be 1-2 years behind.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...orld-phone-fcc
    09-07-10 09:03 AM
    For those who play phone specs game.. The phone below would mean, when the Storm 4 is released it will still be 1-2 years behind.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...orld-phone-fcc
    Except that has a sliding keyboard...which I don't want. Give me an ultra thin touch screen that has a four inch high resolution screen.
    09-07-10 10:38 AM
    Except that has a sliding keyboard...which I don't want. Give me an ultra thin touch screen that has a four inch high resolution screen.
    Well you may get your wish since I think it was posted on BGR but there is an HTC EVO-ish style touchscreen phone coming to Verizon soon. I'll be very interested to see this phone.

It sucks how every article I seem to read these days just keeps saying how RIM is so far behind spec-wise and just continues to lose market share also, due to them not releasing anything competitive. However, I guess they just ignore this community and articles obviously cause they still don't seem to wanna listen to anyone.
    I'm excited for the S3/4 phone to come out but then again so were some people when they saw the Torch over a year ago. Look what happen when the Torch was finally released. The same stuff is most likely gonna happen to the S3/4 whenever it comes out. It will be very short lived because there will be Droids and whatever else out there doubling and tripling the specs of the phone by the time it gets here.
    IMO the only thing that can breath new life into RIM at this point is the Tablet and the new OS that may come with it. OS6 sucks IMO, cause it still based on the same old crappy OS kernel. However, if the new OS on the tablet and on the S3/4 are very innovative and exciting, then maybe even if the specs are behind on the devices, it may bring some new excitement to the company.
    09-07-10 10:58 AM
    this sounds like the refresh not the new storm. i think the new one is supposed to be released in the spring. at least thats what i read in one of the forums. apparently the refresh can't run OS6 either. its not the lack of flash memory its how the processor interacts with the software(thats how it was explained to me) im hoping my source was wrong about that though
    09-07-10 11:06 AM
    I'll be interested to see how RIM justifies and markets the refresh. If they do go with S3, that could open it up for "Storm 4G" being the 4th Storm iteneration and LTE. If they feel the Storm series has lost its shine, they could rebrand the S4 a Torch, altho with the Lukewarm reception from the media, they may drop that name as well. But the Refresh WILL run BB6, otherwise there's absolutely NO reason to release it. I just wonder if it will have a new chipset.

09-07-10 11:34 AM
    Still amazed that there have been no leaks for the Storm3 in the past couple of months. We are now in September and the phone is due any day now. With Android rising and a rumored iPhone4 coming to Verizon...things could get very bad for RIM if they S3 isn't introduced soon...and with class competive if not leading specs.
    09-07-10 02:44 PM
    hey i just saw that vzw lowered the price of the storm 2 to 99.99 with a 2yr contract idk if this could mean that the Storm 3 is comming out soon...hopefully
    09-08-10 09:32 AM
    Still amazed that there have been no leaks for the Storm3 in the past couple of months. We are now in September and the phone is due any day now. With Android rising and a rumored iPhone4 coming to Verizon...things could get very bad for RIM if they S3 isn't introduced soon...and with class competive if not leading specs.
    you bring up a very good point. This is odd to say. Normally upcoming models are leaked and hinted or teased by media who already have them, but have embargo restrictions. All we have of the next storm series is a blurry cam pp picture.

We even have pics popping up of the refresh bold series...
    09-08-10 02:44 PM
    the lack of news and the face that the Storm 3 has been in developement for so long makes me want to believe that at least something somewhat competitive is in the works for us this time around. But then again, the way RIM upgrades its RAM (double per cycle) and to see the specs on the Torch device brings me down to reality to the idea that it will just be a 512 device refresh with OS6, same processor, same display. Basically torch specs inside of a Storm 3 unfortunately...
    09-08-10 07:04 PM
    I'll be interested to see how RIM justifies and markets the refresh. If they do go with S3, that could open it up for "Storm 4G" being the 4th Storm iteneration and LTE. If they feel the Storm series has lost its shine, they could rebrand the S4 a Torch, altho with the Lukewarm reception from the media, they may drop that name as well. But the Refresh WILL run BB6, otherwise there's absolutely NO reason to release it. I just wonder if it will have a new chipset.

if the new storm (4G?) is coming in the spring, what is the point of the refresh at all? its just to push more units. bold 9700 has the same flash memory as the storm2 and yet it will be able to run os6 and storm won't. flash memory isn't the problem here, seems to be more complex then that. if the only thing changed on the refresh is the flash memory, why not just throw an otterbox case on it and say its a new phone altogether? if they change more of the guts then that, then yeah it could run os6. if thats the case then carriers should be offering free or next to free upgrades for those of us who have had the s2 for the mere 9 months its been out. (5 if you are on Bell!) thats kinda a slap in the face if they dont.
    09-08-10 10:12 PM
    Had blackberry for years, just finally got a login on the site here. I always thought the storm was interesting, but never was much for just having a touchscreen. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the smartphone world in general. I really do not want to get a pure touchscreen phone if I can help it, but that's the general trend of everything. Yeah, the Motorola Droid has a keyboard, but it just plain sucks. I like my BB (love the fact that it has a physical keypad, only complaint is the trackball which is cured by the trackpad in the Bold) but I'd love to see better performance out of it. Performance and versatility makes the Androids attractive, but the lack of a decent keyboard makes it EXTREMELY unattractive IMO. The only Andriod phone with a halfway decent keyboard is the LG Ally, but performance wise it's behind. My dilemma is this: Stick with Blackberry and keep the keyboard that is perfect for me but suffer through the performance issues or go to Android and while I'd have good performance I'd lose the keyboard and I know i would never enjoy the touchscreen. The Storm would make that transition a little more palatable with the surepress, but I'd still never be truly happy. Is there ever going to be anything decent anymore for those of us that prefer decent physical keypads (NOT the POS that the Droid has for a keypad either)???
    09-09-10 01:19 AM
161 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD