09-29-10 03:19 PM
161 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I think he was talking about the garbage refresh. The torch seriously needs an update. The thing sucked when I played with it. And I was really hoping for phenomenal. Why can't rim just compete and stop treading water. Either go all in or go home. These mediocre efforts are unacceptable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 08:45 PM
    I think he was talking about the garbage refresh. The torch seriously needs an update. The thing sucked when I played with it. And I was really hoping for phenomenal. Why can't rim just compete and stop treading water. Either go all in or go home. These mediocre efforts are unacceptable.

I think they're doing it that way to keep you wanting a refresh every year! Rather than people having a great device thats good for 2 to 3 years at a time, they want a faster turn over rate. Cause even with 512mb of ram, one has to think that we have already filled out our 256mb devices so in theory, rather than 512, we really truly only have 256 all over again! And thats how they keep us going every year.

RIM is using Nokia tactics. Its about quantity and #s with them!
    08-29-10 11:11 PM
    Do you think Storm3 will have a processor slower than the Bolds? I would think it will have a processor at least as fast as the Torch - if not faster.
    If they just do a refresh and don't touch the chipset than you have a 524 (8?) MHz processor in the S2 that would be reused. That's 100MHz slower than the one in the torch, but it does have a dedicated GPU. So look at it as a slower clock speed cpu but with a much better video card in it. I don't think you can call it dual core, but it does have a dedicated graphics processor. That is pretty much the same chipset in the S1, which also ran the droid Eris. So it is pretty good if used properly. The storm 1 hardware was actually cutting edge at the time except the low ram and missing Wifi.

So my point is that unless they actually overclock the S2 chip, or drop a new one it, because of the hot spot capabilities than you'll probably see worse performance than the Torch. Which is pretty bad from what I have seen on a few occasions playing with it.

Whichever storm drops running on the LTE network would be sporting a 1ghz chip. That is all Qualcomm makes for LTE and that would be required to stay compatible with existing 3G network. I wonder if RIM would underclock it to save bettery life.

08-30-10 06:51 AM
    I think they're doing it that way to keep you wanting a refresh every year! Rather than people having a great device thats good for 2 to 3 years at a time, they want a faster turn over rate. Cause even with 512mb of ram, one has to think that we have already filled out our 256mb devices so in theory, rather than 512, we really truly only have 256 all over again! And thats how they keep us going every year.

RIM is using Nokia tactics. Its about quantity and #s with them!
    Listening to the last podcast Kevin made some good points about where RIM is at. The second half of it was a good discussion on QNX , the tablet, and all that stuff.

I think they just got caught with their roadmaps out of synch. Keep in mind that the storm and Bold carried the best chips available when they launched. So not even 2 years ago they we're using very high end hardware. I think we may see that again. Its just that for now QNX isn't ready for prime time and they have a lot of inventory in hardware that can run BB6 with some tweaking. I think this just gives RIM time to make the QNX OS a polished launch.

And of course they don't want that public because they need people buying blackberries and not waiting to buy blackberries.

08-30-10 06:58 AM
    Personally I think the S3 is a make or break phone for Verizon. With HTC and Motorola coming out with very high end Android Phones this fall - RIM has no margin for error on the S3. If they don't bump the screen size or resolution - they had better at least bump the processing power and memory. The new S3 or S2.5 as it is being called needs to be fast, reliable and responsive. It would be best if it had a slightly larger screen and was launched with a newer faster chip.

I fear that if they do not - RIM may be sunk. As it is right now - my company which is a larger national company - now offers the iPhone and iPad as the email devices supported by our IT department. BB are no longer supported. I have a S2 and if I want to get company email on my device I have to go through webmail - which sucks. The fact that Apple is making inroads in the coporate scene with the iPhone and iPad is a huge risk for RIM.
    08-30-10 09:04 AM
    Personally I think the S3 is a make or break phone for Verizon. With HTC and Motorola coming out with very high end Android Phones this fall - RIM has no margin for error on the S3. If they don't bump the screen size or resolution - they had better at least bump the processing power and memory. The new S3 or S2.5 as it is being called needs to be fast, reliable and responsive. It would be best if it had a slightly larger screen and was launched with a newer faster chip.

I fear that if they do not - RIM may be sunk. As it is right now - my company which is a larger national company - now offers the iPhone and iPad as the email devices supported by our IT department. BB are no longer supported. I have a S2 and if I want to get company email on my device I have to go through webmail - which sucks. The fact that Apple is making inroads in the coporate scene with the iPhone and iPad is a huge risk for RIM.
    If they release a refresh it won't be any of that. Just S2 with more memory.

If the refresh rumor is bo dunk and we'll actually see the device Sal alluded to then we have something competitive.

I agree totally about what the next storm means for RIM in the consumer market. I think they need to tie the device and tablet together. I get that they need more devices in market to support BB6 but not sure go happy new customers who get a refresh this fall when be when the next gen device drops shortly there after.

I really wish someone could tell us more about what is happening with the storm line.

08-30-10 11:53 AM
    I really wish someone could tell us more about what is happening with the storm line.
    The near total silence on the Storm line is very strange...at this time of the year to have no rumors, leaks, pics...anything. Even Salomandrin is quiet.
    08-30-10 02:34 PM
    I agree. Last year at this time, there were many leaks regarding the S2. When did that hit, Thanksgiving? One would think there would be more information by now about the next storm.
    08-30-10 03:23 PM
    Yeah within about 60 days of the storm 1 release we had some pictures of the storm 2. And back then there were some stories of a super blackberry to follow S2. That would be almost 2 years ago which is probably when RIM got serious about using QNX.

Keep in mind Sal did say the LTE Storm was tightly under wraps and being developed and tested by a very small team.

Since we see seeing nothing on the "Refrash" since the BGR article I am starting to wonder if that is not happening. That can't be too big of a secret and the deeper into Q4 that gets released the worse it will be for RIM. Either because they will be dropping the next one right behind it, or because they have to delay the next one until it loses its competitiveness.

Now we can start to expect radio silence until Dev Con. I just hope that is not as under whelming as WES was.

08-30-10 04:09 PM
    Yeah within about 60 days of the storm 1 release we had some pictures of the storm 2. And back then there were some stories of a super blackberry to follow S2. That would be almost 2 years ago which is probably when RIM got serious about using QNX.

Keep in mind Sal did say the LTE Storm was tightly under wraps and being developed and tested by a very small team.

Since we see seeing nothing on the "Refrash" since the BGR article I am starting to wonder if that is not happening. That can't be too big of a secret and the deeper into Q4 that gets released the worse it will be for RIM. Either because they will be dropping the next one right behind it, or because they have to delay the next one until it loses its competitiveness.

Now we can start to expect radio silence until Dev Con. I just hope that is not as under whelming as WES was.

I sure hope you are right, maybe they finally came to their senses and figured out that the Odin refresh is going to do them no good at all, if they are gonna release another Storm a few months after. I doubt that this refresh is not going to happen thou especially with the Bold getting a refresh.
    Also when was the last time that RIM WOW anyone at a conference? It seems like we all wait on here from something to be announced at "the next" conference and they show a devices releases that we've know about for months and sometimes over a year. Sweet news RIM...
    08-30-10 05:24 PM
    I do find it odd that Sal has not been saying much of anything on the Storm line and we all know that he is a big fan of the Storm series. I think that's because he probably can't get any info and doesn't know any, just an assumption.
    Really sucks for us thou
    08-30-10 05:27 PM
    I sure hope you are right, maybe they finally came to their senses and figured out that the Odin refresh is going to do them no good at all, if they are gonna release another Storm a few months after. I doubt that this refresh is not going to happen thou especially with the Bold getting a refresh.
    The refresh will most likely come out. RIM simply needs to release a phone in the holiday season to compete with the Androids and iPhone in the shopping season. And someone previously mentioned the refresh will be used to attract users who are coming off their S1 contracts.

As for specs, people should keep in mind that the Torch was targeted at corporate users AND consumers. Thus, the hardware was not top-notch because corporate users don't care how many hertz their CPU has and don't count pixels.

The S3 refresh is going to be targeted at consumers. Thus, it is logical to conclude that, despite it being just a refresh, it would have specs that are competitive with Androids and iPhone at the time of its release. I don't think RIM's engineers and executives would be stupid enough to release a S3 with a 528Mhz CPU and expect that to compete head-to-head with Androids and iPhone in the shopping season.
    08-31-10 10:01 AM
    The refresh will most likely come out. RIM simply needs to release a phone in the holiday season to compete with the Androids and iPhone in the shopping season. And someone previously mentioned the refresh will be used to attract users who are coming off their S1 contracts.

As for specs, people should keep in mind that the Torch was targeted at corporate users AND consumers. Thus, the hardware was not top-notch because corporate users don't care how many hertz their CPU has and don't count pixels.

The S3 refresh is going to be targeted at consumers. Thus, it is logical to conclude that, despite it being just a refresh, it would have specs that are competitive with Androids and iPhone at the time of its release. I don't think RIM's engineers and executives would be stupid enough to release a S3 with a 528Mhz CPU and expect that to compete head-to-head with Androids and iPhone in the shopping season.
    Sadly I think that is the plan (Same overall Hardware, more memory). If there was a newer, faster Chip-set, Higher Res Screen, new OS, Higher MP Camera, Better WiFi (N Support), and Mobile Hotspot capability, I don't think it would be referred to as a "Refresh". That would be a bigger Update than S1 to S3.

I guess all we need to figure out is of the S2 chip-set could support the mobile hotspot feature. AS I understand it the QualComm CDMA chips include the radio. So I assume the ability to broadcast WiFi is in that Chip Set. So if any engineers out that can confirm that the S2 Chip can't do that, then it would appear we will see some sort of Chip Update in the Refresh. If they can add the Broadcast capability just through the Wifi Module update, than I don't expect a new Chip Set.
    08-31-10 10:24 AM
    I do find it odd that Sal has not been saying much of anything on the Storm line and we all know that he is a big fan of the Storm series. I think that's because he probably can't get any info and doesn't know any, just an assumption.
    Really sucks for us thou
    Even if he can't get any information - it would be nice if he would come out and state that. The silence so close to launch is driving me crazy.

Having a Storm2 - and seeing the huge improvement it was over the Storm1 - I am very interested/excited about the Storm3. I would have expected Sal to be vocal due to his excitement over the Storm2.

Sal - are you there? Help us out here.
    08-31-10 02:10 PM
    I'm sorry but I can't see why one asks so many questions about the Storm3. If Storm3 is due for this last quarter, it is then evident that it will heritate from the Torch hardware and software. Remember the Torch is more or less an enhenced Storm with the addition of a physical keyboard. Don't expect any revolution with the S3 or with any new BB for this year.
    Considering the S4 and future Bolds are due for next year, RIM is already working on and will deliver new hardware which will include 1GHz+ ARM cortex A8/A9 processor, GPU, and higher res screen. These RIM 2011 upcoming smartphones will be up to date as the Bold was in its time.
    This is RIM's strategy since years ;-)
    Last edited by xnwrx; 08-31-10 at 04:27 PM.
    08-31-10 04:18 PM
    Even if he can't get any information - it would be nice if he would come out and state that. The silence so close to launch is driving me crazy.

Having a Storm2 - and seeing the huge improvement it was over the Storm1 - I am very interested/excited about the Storm3. I would have expected Sal to be vocal due to his excitement over the Storm2.

Sal - are you there? Help us out here.
    Sal was surprised by the refresh. His contacts told him the 1ghz storm with LTE and 512 mb to 1 gb of app memory was coming late November or early December. After that he hasn't chimed in to my knowledge.

08-31-10 04:22 PM
    My storm 1 is toast now, and i have already ordered a Droid X to replace it. Let's see motorola has been making droids for a little over a year and already have 1ghz cpu, with 8gb memory for apps. If blackberry had anything worth getting coming out i would have waited, but they seem not be concerned with expanding their customer base and just get by with barely improving their phones each year until they can't even compete.
    Last edited by Smallz750; 08-31-10 at 06:59 PM.
    08-31-10 06:05 PM
    Sal was surprised by the refresh. His contacts told him the 1ghz storm with LTE and 512 mb to 1 gb of app memory was coming late November or early December. After that he hasn't chimed in to my knowledge.

It would be nice if he would comment to that effect on his site. The lack of postings at all on the topic are frustrating. At least come out and tell us he was surprised by this conflicting news and that he is digging deaper to find out what it going on.
    09-01-10 08:27 AM
    It would be nice if he would comment to that effect on his site. The lack of postings at all on the topic are frustrating. At least come out and tell us he was surprised by this conflicting news and that he is digging deaper to find out what it going on.
    I went to his site and posted a question directly to him, but he has yet to answer. I love Sal, but he posts things when HE wants to, and VERY RARELY ever responds to questions posed directly to him. On his sight he gives you his pin number so you can BBM him, but I have been waiting for over a month to be accepted! He also hasn't posted ANYTHING new in a while, no updates, or anything...I hope he is OK? Maybe the RIM police came and got him!
    09-01-10 08:58 AM
    Either his sources are out of the loop or he was given some good info or a device and made to sign an NDA.

09-01-10 01:05 PM
    Storm2 is now officially "out of stock" on the Verizon website. Can this mean the next Storm is coming soon......?
    09-02-10 06:38 AM
    This happened a few weeks ago as well. I do think rim is taking existing S2 stock and refitting it as S3. If this refresh rumore is true.

09-02-10 06:48 AM
    I've noticed many forum users saying that it is very unusual for Sal to be so quiet about the S3 refresh when it should be launching soon.

I've a theory. What if RIM was planning a mediocre refresh (same CPU as S1 and S2, 512 MB, same resolution, etc.) but have been seeing Androids absolutely killing high-end market share, and the media giving the Torch a poorer review than RIM expected. Then, RIM went back to upgrade a few things, thus delaying the leakage of phones that are ready.
    09-02-10 09:36 AM
    Storm2 is now officially "out of stock" on the Verizon website. Can this mean the next Storm is coming soon......?
    Well, in my area, it is not out of stock. Also, I change my location to Chicago and Los Angeles, and the storm does not appear "Out of stock".
    So, I would not make much of the fact that it is out of stock in NJ.
    09-02-10 10:41 AM
    I've noticed many forum users saying that it is very unusual for Sal to be so quiet about the S3 refresh when it should be launching soon.

I've a theory. What if RIM was planning a mediocre refresh (same CPU as S1 and S2, 512 MB, same resolution, etc.) but have been seeing Androids absolutely killing high-end market share, and the media giving the Torch a poorer review than RIM expected. Then, RIM went back to upgrade a few things, thus delaying the leakage of phones that are ready.
    Oh how I would like for this to be true. But somehow I doubt it. The ONLY way that RIM can hold their ground in this segment is to launch a Storm with a larger higher resolution screen, over 1GHZ processor, more memory and of course - better camera. Anything short of that will just be for Storm fans...while the bulk of touch screen BB users continue their mass exodus to Android devices.

As far as RIM's partnership with Verizon on the Storm...VZW doesn't care. Right now they are selling as many Android phones as they can bring out - so having a pthetic Storm2.5 refresh will not hurt their sales. At this point, Motorola and HTC are positioning themselves to take over RIM's dominance at VZW. Finally - if and when the iPhone4 comes to Verizon...RIM is dead.

All that could change if they brought out a truly class leading Storm replacement. But I am not holding my breath. The Torch is pathetic - so I fear RIM has lost its edge.

Sal - where are you?
    09-02-10 02:36 PM
161 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD