09-29-10 04:19 PM
161 12345 ...
tools
    Imagine this: Storm3 is the last storm. Once the SurePress is gone, the "Storm4" becomes rebranded a Torch line device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 08:09 PM
    Isn't this the "Odin Refresh"

I'm waiting for the REAL Storm3 (storm4) the one Sal was talking about
    08-20-10 10:06 PM
    Imagine this: Storm3 is the last storm. Once the SurePress is gone, the "Storm4" becomes rebranded a Torch line device.

Now that makes sense. It would also allow them to release a "Torch" branded thin touch screen (no slider please!!!) phone to replace the Storm line of phones. I just hope we start to see some leaks to that effect.

Salomandrin...where are you?
    08-20-10 10:58 PM
    I agree. It seems from the rumours that indeed RIM will announce/release the Storm 4 in March before iPhone 4G/5 comes out in June.

However, I've read an article recently saying that because they have to fix the iPhone 4's antennae problem, instead of having a fixed version of the iPhone 4 being released, they're going to jump directly to the iPhone 4G/5, which would make the release earlier than June 2011.
    If Blackberry brings out a LTE touch screen device (no slider and no click thank you) with a high resolution screen they could really take on a new iPhone4G.

That being said - if a new iPhone 4G were to hit Verizon and have a larger screen than the current iPhone...then it would be a tough sell for me to get the blackberry. I have all Apple computers and would love to have everything the same line. But - I want a larger screen and a reliable network and antenna.
    08-20-10 11:00 PM
    Todd-my S1 gave up the ghost about 2 months; I just went to Vz's online site and resurrected my Pearl until my NE2 is up in Oct. Not a great solution but workable for me. The S1 did yoeman duty for me but it was a POS actually, not it's falut, it tried.
    Shame shame shame on Vz and RIM for still selling it when the vastly improved S2 is out.
    08-21-10 01:10 AM
    If iPhone 4G comes to Verizon, the Storm series = dead!

I love BlackBerry! I don't think ill ever leave. 'Stress the "think" a lot'

08-22-10 07:54 PM
    If iPhone 4G comes to Verizon, the Storm series = dead!

I love BlackBerry! I don't think ill ever leave. 'Stress the "think" a lot'

Agreed. This is why RIM needs to get the Storm4 or Touch Screen Torch out by the end of Q1 - and if RIM wants to survive, the device needs to be LTE, have a high resolution 4" screen and have greater than a one Ghz processor. Anything less will spell the end of RIM as we know it.

The iPhone is gaining greater acceptance in the business world - as is the iPad for that matter and sooner or later RIM will lose the dominance in the business sector it once had. Without that they can not survive as a premium mobile device manufacturer.
    08-22-10 10:25 PM
    Right, the "Storm 3" is really the Storm 2.5 (but it's hard to brand that). It will basically be a Storm 2 upgraded with enough memory to run BB6 and apps pleasantly, and perhaps with a tweak to the S2 SurePress technology. That's it.

I'd bet the Storm 4 (LTE) will be announced in Q1 2011 at CES and ship in early Q2 (if not before). And it may not have SurePress.
    Given this logic, the S2 was really the S1.5. The S3 will be the S1.75 and the next Storm would really be the S2!
    08-23-10 08:48 AM
    For me I am one of the few who love my Storm 1, I never went to 2 with 5.0 OS coming out, it made the phone truly awesome for me. Now I am so torn. What happened to so many people happened to me, finally my buttons flew up and I have them being held down by scotch tape. I'm debating, pay the 80 dollars and get a refurbished storm 1 until the storm 4 comes out or buy the storm 9570 and then when the other storm comes out either wait for my year to be up and then exchange it or pay full price for it. The phone still works awesome and with NFL network on there and the NFL season starting, I love my phone way more then ever. I can't wait to get a storm with more memory so I don't have to keep deciding what programs I want and don't want. So torn.
    08-24-10 01:38 PM
    If you look at the leaked spec sheet on the S3 and compare it to this new $99.00 device coming to AT&T and you can see that the S3 is going to be going up against much cheaper handsets that offer the same tech specs.

Dell makes Aero official, $99 on AT&T Boy Genius Report

Looks like VZW needs to get the S3 on the market for much less than the stereo typical $199.99 on a two year contract. It will not compete with the others newer phones at that price...much less this one for half the cost.
    08-24-10 02:52 PM
    I'm a blackberry girl and I wouldn't go to ATT's horrendous service out of NY. I actually considered going droid, I'm not so impressed by the iphone, there are so many business app's that you have to pay for that on the bb are free. I will wait and see. I just wish that RIM would release some info and stop trying to hide the new releases. Then we can all make informed decisions and plan for the future. Why can't the Storm 3 just be 4G? Anyway, I think if you sign up for a plan this year with verizon I believe you can still go unlimited, I think it's next year that they will be charging per gigs. Stinks big time.
    08-24-10 03:50 PM
    waiting for LTE.....
    08-25-10 03:14 PM
    LTE would be nice...but I it might be worth it to get a one year contract - pay a little more for the Storm3 and get the Storm4 after LTE is fully rolled out. Having BB6 on the device would be very nice.
    08-25-10 04:41 PM
    I'm totally confused as to why RIM would release a Storm 3 4th Qtr this year and then a Storm 4 1st Qtr next year. I understand all the refresh, OS6 stuff, but why would they release two Storms right on the heels of each other? Especially since they usually wait about a year before new versions of phones....
    For the same reason Sprint charges customers $10 for service thats not available to them(4G). The customer is financing the next model in advance.
    08-25-10 07:05 PM
    This is why they created BB6. OS5 was coded for the click of a button on a traditional berry. In order for a Storm to recognize a command, there had to be a physical connection, so they created SurePress. BB6 was recoded at a deeper level removing that requirement. No "two ways" about it. It's one or the other.

It seems there must be a way to get it so you don't have to click. The opera mini browser doesn't need the screen to be clicked to take commands.
    08-27-10 08:17 AM
    It seems there must be a way to get it so you don't have to click. The opera mini browser doesn't need the screen to be clicked to take commands.
    There is. Gregerator's post is close, but just short of the mark. RIM has to do something with their OS that right now no one else really has to do. Support track pads, track balls, and touch screens. SurePress allows the UI to function prett much the same between the different hardware. You can navigate with capacitve in out and then select with a click. Same way a ttack pad works. Since they have moved away from track balls and BB6 is not backwards compatible with track ball devices they can so more with swipe gestures since that more easily handled via track pad than track ball. BB6 is built on the same kernel as OS5. So no changes at a low level. It has a neww UI and a webkit engine. I would expect BB6 to run on a SurePress device same as OS5.

The new QNX OS maybe something different but early "Hands On" with the next Gen storm running that OS did indicate that it was still using SurePress, just a more refined version.

08-27-10 08:30 AM
    But since the new Torch runs on OS6 and it is doesn't need SurePress then the Storm 3 (which I assume can or will be on OS6) won't require SurePress. They should make it flexible to the user at that point and allow those who don't like it to turn it off.
    08-27-10 08:42 AM
    But since the new Torch runs on OS6 and it is doesn't need SurePress then the Storm 3 (which I assume can or will be on OS6) won't require SurePress. They should make it flexible to the user at that point and allow those who don't like it to turn it off.
    Torch has a track pad and the Storm doesn't. From what I have seen playing with a torch it is very hard to run it on the capscutive screen alone. I don't think they will drop SurePress until QNX. At least not without a track pad as well.

08-27-10 08:46 AM
    There is. Gregerator's post is close, but just short of the mark. RIM has to do something with their OS that right now no one else really has to do. Support track pads, track balls, and touch screens. SurePress allows the UI to function prett much the same between the different hardware. You can navigate with capacitve in out and then select with a click. Same way a ttack pad works. Since they have moved away from track balls and BB6 is not backwards compatible with track ball devices they can so more with swipe gestures since that more easily handled via track pad than track ball. BB6 is built on the same kernel as OS5. So no changes at a low level. It has a neww UI and a webkit engine. I would expect BB6 to run on a SurePress device same as OS5.

The new QNX OS maybe something different but early "Hands On" with the next Gen storm running that OS did indicate that it was still using SurePress, just a more refined version.

So how does Opera operate with out clicking?
    08-27-10 09:29 AM
    So how does Opera operate with out clicking?
    It's a third party app. They can do whatever they want. The Storm has a capacitive screen so it can be used that way.

Berry weather has pinch zooming. So why doesn't the rest of the OS? Again, these are third party apps that are just making use of the capacitive screen.
    08-27-10 10:29 AM
    Why is RIM and Verizon keeping the upcoming Storm devices so secret? I could see if it were months away, but we are talking October here? Sal has been so quiet lately, even on his own website. I directly asked him why and he has yet to answer.
    08-28-10 09:07 AM
    Waiting patiently for some exciting news for storm3.
    08-29-10 01:26 AM
    I am getting tired of waiting for storm info. I am itching to get a new phone preferably a new storm with a front facing camera upgraded regular camera and web kit browser! However played with someones torch and it was TERRIBLE. Horrendous lag on pinch to zoom and the web kit browser left something to be desired to say the least (att fault?). I am very worried we are all wasting our time waiting for something that is going to be disappointing. I love my storm2 and refuse to switch to a screen that doesn't click, and if they remove it and I am forced to I think I am just going to go droid..... It sucks cause I really love blackberry but feel like an ***** for inferior technology at the same cost constantly....

08-29-10 02:27 PM
    I am getting tired of waiting for storm info. I am itching to get a new phone preferably a new storm with a front facing camera upgraded regular camera and web kit browser! However played with someones torch and it was TERRIBLE. Horrendous lag on pinch to zoom and the web kit browser left something to be desired to say the least (att fault?). I am very worried we are all wasting our time waiting for something that is going to be disappointing. I love my storm2 and refuse to switch to a screen that doesn't click, and if they remove it and I am forced to I think I am just going to go droid..... It sucks cause I really love blackberry but feel like an ***** for inferior technology at the same cost constantly....

I wouldn't wait unless you are wiling to hold out until February or later. All we are going to see this year is the cheesey refresh unless something changes. And BB6 will probably run worse on a device with a processor slower than the bolds.

08-29-10 05:58 PM
    I wouldn't wait unless you are wiling to hold out until February or later. All we are going to see this year is the cheesey refresh unless something changes. And BB6 will probably run worse on a device with a processor slower than the bolds.

Do you think Storm3 will have a processor slower than the Bolds? I would think it will have a processor at least as fast as the Torch - if not faster.
    08-29-10 09:38 PM
161 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD