09-29-10 04:19 PM
161 1234 ...
tools
    Portrait keyboard is my primary way of typing on my Storm1. And when I tried out the Storm2 at the VZW store the other week, I changed that to portrait too! Nothing a simple visit to the Screen/Keyboard page in Options won't solve. That, or hitting the BB button when the keyboard is pulled up.
    08-19-10 02:12 PM
    I think that a lot more people would buy the S3 if it did not have Sure Press. Regular Capacitive screen is what most folks are used to, like the Torch screen. IMHO
    That's true, but if they would ever use a SurePress, they may actually find out they love it. It's the best of BOTH worlds, touchscreen and physical feel!
    08-19-10 03:45 PM
    What/why would a website not work with a touchscreen? The website doesn't know the difference between a physical/touchscreen...I'm confused (as usual). Also the Storm 2 DOES have a Portrait keyboard, BOTH SureType and QWERTY.
    It wasn't a 'website' issue necessarily, but a 'browser' issue...all I know is that I had a few websites I had no problem using with my Curve but the S2 wouldn't work on them. Mainly having to do with push buttons on websites, the browser just wouldn't work. Oh well, I'm definitely going to be giving the S3 a chance, especially if it has BB6. It better (or must) be a much better product that what I used back in January. C'mon BB, get the S3 (or S2 refresh, whatever the **** you want to call it) out now!!!
    08-19-10 03:46 PM
    That's true, but if they would ever use a SurePress, they may actually find out they love it. It's the best of BOTH worlds, touchscreen and physical feel!
    The people that I know, who have storms, say they hate the surepress and I can't wait to get out of their contract to go to iphone. Not so true for the one that have regular tours, or bolds.
    In the little time I have had with the storm I can tell u, surepress may be a good idea, but in reality it sucks. I hope RIM finds this very true and get rid of sure press and cont doing what they do well. Regular physical keyboards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 07:00 PM
    I like the sure press screen, it's easier on my fingers. To me it acts like a shock absorber on my fingers. what I don't like is touching my screen. I like my screen to stay squeaky clean at all times and that's impossible with a touch screen. I want a mouse with left and right click just like a lap top.

I'd just love to hear some solid news on when the Storm 3 will arrive.
    08-19-10 07:17 PM
    If it doesn't click or make toast, I'm going to Android.
    Nice.

08-19-10 08:21 PM
    The people that I know, who have storms, say they hate the surepress and I can't wait to get out of their contract to go to iphone. Not so true for the one that have regular tours, or bolds.
    In the little time I have had with the storm I can tell u, surepress may be a good idea, but in reality it sucks. I hope RIM finds this very true and get rid of sure press and cont doing what they do well. Regular physical keyboards.

I'm sorry, but I have to totally disagree with you...I believe the majority of Storm users LOVE SurePress and in reality it's wonderful. I just don't know how you can say it sucks; I guess to each his own. Why did the people you know purchase a Storm if they didn't like the fact the screen pressed down?
    08-19-10 08:32 PM
    I agree, I LIKE the SurePress!!
    08-19-10 11:21 PM

The people I know, who have iPhone, say they hate weak signals and dropped calls and can't wait to get out of their contract to go to S3 or S4 for the service coverage and the SurePress. SurePress seemed like a goofy idea, but in reality it rocks! Feeling the click is a more natural way of typing and selecting. I hate those teeny weeny physical keyboards!
    08-19-10 11:33 PM
    all i have to say if the S4 comes shortly after S 2.5/3 I will be pissed...

Bad move on RIM to release an update device and then another side by side, but I'm sure they know this (hopefully...)

I think for storm users the issue of webkit, os6, 5mp camera, and lots of ram is whatever... I think for us now is will it support LTE?

LTE is rumored to come out when the S2.5/3 is coming out.. What if verizon indicated that an LTE blackberry was due spring 2011..

I'm sure we would hold off for that..
    08-20-10 12:26 AM

Bad move on RIM to release an update device and then another side by side, but I'm sure they know this (hopefully...)

I think for storm users the issue of webkit, os6, 5mp camera, and lots of ram is whatever... I think for us now is will it support LTE?

LTE is rumored to come out when the S2.5/3 is coming out.. What if verizon indicated that an LTE blackberry was due spring 2011..

Exactly why I am not getting the refresh. LTE is launching November 15. The first LTE phones won't be available until Q1/Q2 2011. Holding out until then.
    08-20-10 02:17 AM
    I know two people who aren't totally thrilled with their Droid phones. The other three haven't figured it out yet. LOL

In fact one guy has had his a month and a half and is willing to sell it for 50 dollars. I told him I'm waiting on the new Blackberry Storm3 to come out, "no thanks".

His complaints are freezing, and having to reboot, and stuff moving before he touches the screen.
    08-20-10 07:44 AM
    If surepress is so "wonderfully amazing", why would RIM even consider abandoning it?
    08-20-10 08:09 AM
    RIM could just allow the user to turn Surepress on and off via the OS and people could make the decision themselves....but that of course is too obvious.
    08-20-10 08:51 AM
    RIM could just allow the user to turn Surepress on and off via the OS and people could make the decision themselves....but that of course is too obvious.
    Or maybe too hard to do?? I know RIM seems to have their "head where the sun don't shine," but if that was a viable option, I think even they would have done that by now.
    08-20-10 09:54 AM
    Or maybe too hard to do?? I know RIM seems to have their "head where the sun don't shine," but if that was a viable option, I think even they would have done that by now.
    Can't be that hard...there are two "events" being detected on the Storm screen, first one is when it is touched and the second one is when it is pressed. They don't want to do it because it would mean that something they thought was so innovative and hopefully trend setting wasn't.
    08-20-10 09:57 AM
    Right, the "Storm 3" is really the Storm 2.5 (but it's hard to brand that). It will basically be a Storm 2 upgraded with enough memory to run BB6 and apps pleasantly, and perhaps with a tweak to the S2 SurePress technology. That's it.

I'd bet the Storm 4 (LTE) will be announced in Q1 2011 at CES and ship in early Q2 (if not before). And it may not have SurePress.
    I tend to agree with you on the Storm 3 aka Storm 2.5.

As for the Storm4 (LTE) - I see the only chance RIM has to redeem itself for the Storm is to launch the LTE Storm4 BEFORE Apple releases the iPhone4G in June. If Rim could get out an LTE Storm with a 4" screen before the iPhone4g launches - they would be able to retain and possibly pick up market share. I for one would go to a 4" LTE Storm before I would go to an iPhone4G if the OS and speed were on par with the current phones.

But - they need to get the Storm3 out ASAP. If they wait too long this year to release it then I question if they could get the Storm4 out before summer next year.
    08-20-10 11:15 AM
    Can't be that hard...there are two "events" being detected on the Storm screen, first one is when it is touched and the second one is when it is pressed. They don't want to do it because it would mean that something they thought was so innovative and hopefully trend setting wasn't.
    This is why they created BB6. OS5 was coded for the click of a button on a traditional berry. In order for a Storm to recognize a command, there had to be a physical connection, so they created SurePress. BB6 was recoded at a deeper level removing that requirement. No "two ways" about it. It's one or the other.

08-20-10 11:22 AM

I have been suffering along with a Storm1 for nearly two years (bought mine on release day back in 2008.) I finally talked verizon into giving me a Storm2 as a free replacement for my Storm 1 due to the fact that I have had 4 replacements and the corners don't click anymore. I am planning on holding out until next spring to see what phones are available on 4G/LTE. I think the Storm3 will be a stop gap and I don't want to get stuck with it and then have an LTE Storm be released with a (hopefully) larger screen just six months after I get a S3.

My Storm2 should be here on Monday - so I will finally have wifi and more ram. But what I really want is OS6 and a faster processor. Please RIM let the S4 come out in Q1 or Q2 of next year.
    08-20-10 11:32 AM
    This is why they created BB6. OS5 was coded for the click of a button on a traditional berry. In order for a Storm to recognize a command, there had to be a physical connection, so they created SurePress. BB6 was recoded at a deeper level removing that requirement. No "two ways" about it. It's one or the other.

The Odin refresh is said to still be using SurePress on OS6.
    08-20-10 12:48 PM
    I tend to agree with you on the Storm 3 aka Storm 2.5.

As for the Storm4 (LTE) - I see the only chance RIM has to redeem itself for the Storm is to launch the LTE Storm4 BEFORE Apple releases the iPhone4G in June.

But - they need to get the Storm3 out ASAP. If they wait too long this year to release it then I question if they could get the Storm4 out before summer next year.
    I agree. It seems from the rumours that indeed RIM will announce/release the Storm 4 in March before iPhone 4G/5 comes out in June.

However, I've read an article recently saying that because they have to fix the iPhone 4's antennae problem, instead of having a fixed version of the iPhone 4 being released, they're going to jump directly to the iPhone 4G/5, which would make the release earlier than June 2011.
    08-20-10 12:54 PM
    I'm totally confused as to why RIM would release a Storm 3 4th Qtr this year and then a Storm 4 1st Qtr next year. I understand all the refresh, OS6 stuff, but why would they release two Storms right on the heels of each other? Especially since they usually wait about a year before new versions of phones....
    08-20-10 01:21 PM
    I'm totally confused as to why RIM would release a Storm 3 4th Qtr this year and then a Storm 4 1st Qtr next year. I understand all the refresh, OS6 stuff, but why would they release two Storms right on the heels of each other? Especially since they usually wait about a year before new versions of phones....
    I would speculate that since Storm 1 contracts are up, plus the holiday season, they really want to have something new on the market. The LTE stuff won't be ready in time, hence the need for a 2.5 update.

I personally don't think they'd turn around with a S3.5/S4 that soon. If they get S2.5 out, they'd probably not feel quite as rushed, and probably get one out Q2/early Q3. JMO.
    08-20-10 02:50 PM
    There're many rumours that the Storm 4 will not use OS 6, but will have "an OS of its own", which means that it'll run on a QNX OS. Since RIM will have a QNX OS on the tablet this Nov., it should be able to adapt it for the Storm 4 by March.

But yes, I agree that it seems somewhat unusual to have the Storm 3 come out 4th Q, then the Storm 4 in 1st Q. However, seeing how RIM is releasing lots of refreshes lately (9780, 9300, possibly 9330 and 9850) it seems that this is part of their strategy to compete with the iPhone and Androids.
    08-20-10 02:56 PM
    Ok, well it really doesn't matter what anyone sais...
    I have the following to say:
    With internet in RSA being extremely expensive, having a BB with unlimited phone browesing is awesome.
    Not to mention that I'm loving and recommending BB to everyone,
    R60 per month is a lot better than R2 per MB....
    For this simple reason I won't move to anything else.
    Sure the droid phones (or whatever) come out with Gigabyte processors, but seriously, its not like I'm planning to load and run Quake 3 on my cell phone.

At the moment my STORM1 is kicking arse all over the place....

Loading OS 6 would be awesome, but with push email, unlimited phone browsing, and built in GPS its the best phone I've ever owned.

(not to even mention the click-tastic screen)

So the "Storm3"/ "Storm2.5" is coming out...
    Freak, if I can get my hands on a straight storm2 ill be thrilled...

Basically what I'm trying to say is: why don't we all stop complaining and appreciate what RIM is trying to do?
    Maybe they don't have the best hardware technology, but the click screen in unique and BIS is a winner in my area.
    08-20-10 07:48 PM
161 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD