Really starting to worry we won't see a new storm this year. There hasn't been and good information on it in months. Has RIM finally got a grasp of the spys in there organization. I'm really holding out for that phone.

Does anyone think were going to see this phone this year?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 11:32 AM
    Don't hold your breath.
    06-22-10 12:59 PM
    Same thing last year and at the end of the summer or early fall the rumors got bigger and Bam! Storm 2. if not end of year, early 2011 could be a good time. I just hope it's LTE capable
    06-22-10 01:05 PM
    Same thing last year and at the end of the summer or early fall the rumors got bigger and Bam! Storm 2. if not end of year, early 2011 could be a good time. I just hope it's LTE capable
    Huh You can't be serious??

After the S1 came out like 3 months later we had pictures and all kinds of info on the S2. Althou it wasn't much of an upgrade IMO, we did have all kinds of info and screen shots of the device for awhile before it came out. For the S3 we have absolutely nothing(confirmed that is) at all and are still waiting. Right now we have about 4 months until the yearly anniversary to where the S3 could be released. With the way the clamshell has been, which no one saw coming except for maybe Kevin, if we get to 2 or 3 month before the end of the year and we still don't see anything then I would assume it's not going to be coming out this year.

I must also say it really blows not seeing any info for it on here at all
    06-22-10 08:19 PM
    I am hoping to see it for November for when VZW launches the LTE network. I don't think they want Sprint to have the only 4 g phone for too long.

Then again I am also starting to expect a VZW iPhone announcement sometime later this year, which would seriously devalue anything Storm that RIM puts out on VZW.
    06-23-10 11:36 AM
    Then again I am also starting to expect a VZW iPhone announcement sometime later this year, which would seriously devalue anything Storm that RIM puts out on VZW.
    Exactly!! Just more reason for RIM to actually STEP IT UP and make a serious contending phone with all these new Droids and the current iPhone being released. Dare I say, the S3 needs to be an iPhone killer, or be at the very least be inline with all these ridiculiously spec'd out phones coming out now. Otherwise, it will most likely be a complete fail IMO!!

My next thought is that this new policy RIM has for keeping the S3 completely secret and not letting any leaks may actually come to hurt them severly. I know there are a lot of people on here including myself that are holding out on an upgrade for this phone or at least some sort of info on this phone. That way we will be more willing to hold out on say a Droid X or god knows whatever other crazy new phone that drops before RIM gets off their asses and releases the S3. However, if we don't see something soon and maybe there is an iPhone announcement for it coming to Verizon. Then inturn people might actually start waiting for that, instead of an S3 RIM phone that most likely won't be that impressive anyway.
    It's a slippery slope.....
    06-23-10 02:58 PM
    And look at what VZW just did for the Droid X. Anyone with an upgrade due this year can upgrade to the X on 7/15.

How many S1 owners do you think that covers? That move alone is goong to put a dent in RIM.

Don't expect an event like was held today for the Droid X to occur when the S3 drops.

06-23-10 04:07 PM
    And look at what VZW just did for the Droid X. Anyone with an upgrade due this year can upgrade to the X on 7/15.

How many S1 owners do you think that covers? That move alone is goong to put a dent in RIM.

Don't expect an event like was held today for the Droid X to occur when the S3 drops.

lol u never lie man.

I am not an android fan.......I'd prefer webos over anything else if i were to switch........but that Droid X just sent RIM back to the drawing board lol ha ha.

Also, if rumors are true and Apple releases the Iphone 4 onto verizons network (and lets not even add the fact that it could be LTE ready, although the probably would hold that feature to sell it to u in the next iteration), RIM had BETTER put out something comparable. If its just a small upgrade like the Storm2 was, i suspect you'll see many ditch RIM......for good
    06-23-10 09:07 PM
    I bought the HTC Incredible. I was skeptical about leaving my happy place with the BB's but this phone is sweet. I am not longing for even one feature!

I voice search for store in a city and two clicks later I have navigation superior to garmin leading me there. I have my music, and it works great as a phone. I travel alot and this phone does all of those things at the same time flawlessly. Music stops for a call but navigation continues during calls and music playing.

When I am at home or near wifi I can surf and talk at the same time. And google calendar and Gmail are perfect. I no longer lose my old appts in the calendar like I did on the BB using google sync. The phone is lightning fast and never ever locks up or fails me.

I have free google voice, and oh yes I have a real browser!!!!!!!!!! I am not wanting an Iphone or webkit. The HTC sense is also the way to go! 7 screens and superior widgets to the other android phones.

BB was too late for me. I sold both my storm and my wifes storm 1's on ebay and barely even had to pay for these phones!.

I was and sort of still am a fan of BB but they dragged there feet and will eventually lose the corporate market too.

I am betting they have less than 20% market share of smartphones by Dec 2011. They have 35% now. They will still sell alot of phones, but there stock will not blow up like they would have if they would have moved faster to get us a browser.

Thats all it would have taken to keep me loyal. Bolt and opera are a joke compared to safari and the android browsers.

Z
    06-23-10 11:44 PM
    i agree they need to drop something quick. but keep in mind BB are business phones and are world capable. whole different story when it comes to that.
    06-24-10 03:50 AM
    Yeah BB isn't going anywhere yet as far as business is concerned. For me all I have to do is figure how to remote wipe an android or iPhone and my company will support that. We are on exchange 2003 and I am not sure active sync works so good for wiping. We are going to Exchange 2010 next year but I want get a new phone this year and don't want to carry that and a BB. Any who, I am sure a lot of companies will look it at from a cost perspective and drop BB unless they have to be ultrasecure. Active Sync on 2007 and 2010 can lock down remote devices really well and there is no BES licensing and no extra charge for BB data from the carriers. Couple that with not buying the device since so many people have their own and the cost savings is significant.

RIM needs some serious wow factor in an S3. Like it really has to be better than iPhone 4 and Droid X or they are in trouble. And I just don't see that happening.

06-24-10 06:34 AM
    Yeah BB isn't going anywhere yet as far as business is concerned. For me all I have to do is figure how to remote wipe an android or iPhone and my company will support that. We are on exchange 2003 and I am not sure active sync works so good for wiping. We are going to Exchange 2010 next year but I want get a new phone this year and don't want to carry that and a BB. Any who, I am sure a lot of companies will look it at from a cost perspective and drop BB unless they have to be ultrasecure. Active Sync on 2007 and 2010 can lock down remote devices really well and there is no BES licensing and no extra charge for BB data from the carriers. Couple that with not buying the device since so many people have their own and the cost savings is significant.

RIM needs some serious wow factor in an S3. Like it really has to be better than iPhone 4 and Droid X or they are in trouble. And I just don't see that happening.

Froyo adds this.
    06-24-10 06:56 AM
    Froyo adds this.
    Yes but I want to confirm if Exchange 2003 supports it. I see some info that it does but it Seems to refer to Windows Mobile. So I may have some testing to do, or seek out some info on Android Central. Unless you happen to know the answer to that....

06-24-10 07:03 AM
    After the DroidX slaughter of Apple's thunder yesterday i would not unveil a new phone for at least a couple of months if i was a cell phone company...ie RiM.

I have an upgrade avail....was wishfully thinking i could use it on an S3.....i may just use it on the DX now, but keep my Bold for when i travel out of the States which is a couple of times a year.
    06-24-10 07:37 AM
    After the DroidX slaughter of Apple's thunder yesterday i would not unveil a new phone for at least a couple of months if i was a cell phone company...ie RiM.

I have an upgrade avail....was wishfully thinking i could use it on an S3.....i may just use it on the DX now, but keep my Bold for when i travel out of the States which is a couple of times a year.
    LOL. How'd they steal Apple's thunder?

As for RIM, even if/when they do release a Storm 3, I doubt it'll be anything innovative. I think they're comfortable in their own little lane even with other platforms infringing on it. RIM's not going to do anything remarkable. Though, I'd like it to, I feel like they're banking their success solely on BBM and e-mail. #shruglife
    06-24-10 09:42 AM
    LOL. How'd they steal Apple's thunder?

As for RIM, even if/when they do release a Storm 3, I doubt it'll be anything innovative. I think they're comfortable in their own little lane even with other platforms infringing on it. RIM's not going to do anything remarkable. Though, I'd like it to, I feel like they're banking their success solely on BBM and e-mail. #shruglife

imo they stole some of the thunder of the Iphone4 release. Considering i do believe the DroidX is a much better device than the iphone4. just my opinion though.
    06-24-10 10:36 AM
    It just occurred to me that Maybe we are not hearing anything about the S3 because RIM went back to the drawing board.

I am sure what they planned to follow teh S2 with over a year or longer ago is no longer sensible. So maybe they decided to pull it back to Pre Production and really enhance it, so that they don't look like A$$ holes in Q4 when it drops.

Then again maybe we will just see an evolution of the S2 that sells for $99 next to a Droid X selling for $199.
    06-24-10 11:41 AM
    It just occurred to me that Maybe we are not hearing anything about the S3 because RIM went back to the drawing board.

I am sure what they planned to follow teh S2 with over a year or longer ago is no longer sensible. So maybe they decided to pull it back to Pre Production and really enhance it, so that they don't look like A$$ holes in Q4 when it drops.

Then again maybe we will just see an evolution of the S2 that sells for $99 next to a Droid X selling for $199.
    I think you might be right on. I think that the whole Essex shenanigans that took place back in Jan & Feb was RIM finally coming back to reality. They pumped up the app memory, but they've got to know the Storm line has to really be something special, especially with the Droid invasion.

I'm not worried - I think it's kind of exciting. Competition is good. Yeah Capitalism.
    06-24-10 12:15 PM
    The Storm 1 and 2 were my first BBs and while the email function was critical for me and the fact that it was real-time and a world phone were pluses... but with all the cool phones hitting (iPhone 4, Droids) I'm quickly ready to ditch the secure BB. Using a gmail account on a Droid is just as good as push I hear.

I'm waiting for a tester to come in for the Droid X. I've toyed with the Droid, and the Incredible and the killers were the keyboard on the droid (didn't want one) and the screen width on the incredible (too small). The X has pretty much what I want, and I hear of a Droid Pro that is even better. I'm eligible for the upgrade now only thing I'm holding out for is possible iPhone 4 to VZW in the fall. Waiting is only helping me get the next big phone since one seems to be announced or released every 3 months.

As for VZW announcing the X yesterday, it was a smart move considering most people were wishing they had an iPhone. It probably kept some people out of AT&T stores from switching to get an iPhone.
    06-24-10 12:25 PM
    RIM has to prove something to me quick or I'm going to the X, I want more out of my phone and my marriage of technology is more anti apple then it is pro BB.
    06-24-10 02:18 PM
    I think you might be right on. I think that the whole Essex shenanigans that took place back in Jan & Feb was RIM finally coming back to reality. They pumped up the app memory, but they've got to know the Storm line has to really be something special, especially with the Droid invasion.

I'm not worried - I think it's kind of exciting. Competition is good. Yeah Capitalism.
    Agreed on the Essex shenanigans. But look at what that got them. Sprint pretty much ignored it to launch the Evo and VZW is doing pretty much the same for the Droid X.

If I was Basille I would have rounded up the Storm 3 team and told them that the first time I read a review of the Storm 3 that says "this is what the Storm 2 should have been." that I would not only personally fire each and every one of them but would black ball them so bad that the only gainful employ that they would be able to find is sucking local farmer's cocks for 2 chickens a Pop in Singapore.

Seriously where is their pride? I am afraid that their global strategy of positioning themselves as a low cost solution is going to be their undoing as with BES they are not low cost. There are additional liscense fees and carrier costs associated with a BB then a much more feature rich android or iPhone running against active sync. And really, unless you have a serious security issue (gov or finance) the security is not that different.

Edit: you can say cocks but **** (b u t t) gets censored!?

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-24-10 at 04:11 PM.
    06-24-10 04:07 PM
    Lol, on the censorship.

Agreed the Storm 1 was promoted heavily by VZW with people lining up to buy one, and most Storm 1 owners were quick to get rid of that phone, with the Storm 2 being what the 1 should have been. Now with all the phone makers competing in the hardware space and apps market, this may very well be the future of smart phones.

RIM needs to provide consumer offerings. There is nothing wrong with keeping a business class... but the consumer space is now the battle ground. Apple and Android have it right, and WinMo is going to try and compete, which could end up with RIM falling further behind in innovation.
    06-24-10 04:29 PM

lol yes...............RIm is scratching their heads as we speak looking at all these high end phones like the Evo 4G, Droid X, and Iphone 4. If RIM releases a Storm3 and people say that its what the Storm2 should've been................then they've failed already. Selling it at $99 would help, but I believe thats still a fail because it shows they're not trying to innovate and are instead dragging their feet.

Storm3 needs to be the biggest leap in both the spec sheet and capabilities from one generation device to the next or else RIM will lose market share. Its already happened. They're at 35% when they used to be close to 50% or something like that.

RIM has to realize that even their most loyal will leave if they aren't getting the most for their money. People are ready to ditch RIM at a higher rate than ever IMO because there is so much competition out here. How does the Storm get so much hype on its release, yet the Storm2 barely gets any? thats because even Verizon knew that for most consumers, a brand new Droid, with a still relevant spec list today, tops a Storm that hardly changed over last gens model.

I think by now RIM has saved a boat load of cash by reusing the same parts over (and over, and over, and over, and over lol) in their BB devices. Ok thats fine, but come on RIM. You can't be cheap forever!

For the people who say specs dont sell phones, for some instances i can agree, but for the most part I call bs. You can't tell me that when Verizon is pushing higher spec'd droids out into the market almost non-stop, Sprint releases the Evo 4G, and apple puts crazy features/specs into the iphone, that specs don't matter to consumers. I can't see RIM ever releasing a BB with a 4.3" screen, but imagine how many people might stick with/come back to the BB platform knowing that they finally ventured out from their comfort zone and really gave a feature that many are looking for.

A man can dream can't he??????????????
    06-24-10 07:12 PM
    One thing that also spurs innovation is losing customers also. I want RIM to do well but if sales start to really fall I bet they will come out with some incredible phones. Just look at Motorola.

06-24-10 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD