View Poll Results: If a cadybar Touch/Keyboard BB hit your carrier this holiday, would you buy it?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup! This is what I've been waiting for; full retail, no questions asked.

32 34.04%
  • Yes! This is what I've been waiting for and I'm due an upgrade anyway.

24 25.53%
  • I'd wait until my upgrade came due, then buy it.

10 10.64%
  • I'd have to try it out first. Not sold on the form factor.

17 18.09%
  • Count me out.

17 18.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
11-24-10 07:57 PM
27 12
tools
    From reading through the forums, it sounds like a lot of BB users dream of a hybrid touch/keyboard Berry that we've heard rumors of for, well, years now I guess. Ever since the name Magnum dropped, we've posted thousands of ideas and +1s about how it is the Berry we desire. Well, here's your chance to come together and show your favor. If this device hit for the Holidays on you carrier, would you buy it regardless of what BB you currently use?
    09-14-10 01:08 PM
    Are you talking about...say a 9700 type with a touch screen or same form factor with a touch keyboard where the physcial keyboard is?
    09-14-10 01:21 PM
    Tactile keyboard. Just figure a 9000/9700 but with touch screen.
    09-14-10 01:32 PM
    The Torch with a faster processor and higher resolution screen would be ideal.
    09-14-10 04:24 PM
    I also like the Samsung Epic or Motorola Droid 2 form factor. Just give me the Blackberry OS in it.
    09-14-10 04:25 PM
    Nope, wouldn't even think twice about it.

One or the other, no such thing as best of both worlds. Something is always sacrificed when you combine the two, very awkward to use. I hated my Palm and all these slider phones out are crap.
    09-14-10 04:40 PM
    6 months ago, I would have been on board with this. Now, knowing what's down the pipeline for OS6 and seeing the toy they call the Torch, now way in h e double hockey sticks am I going to waste any more of my money on RIM products.
    09-14-10 04:54 PM
    Other than the ability to touch a few command buttons, I'm not sure I see the point. All of the stuff can be touch-screened can be done just as easily, in most cases, with the trackpad/ball. Pinch-zooming would be awkward. What else are you going to use it for? And every time you reach to use the screen, you're passing right over the more efficient trackpad. I don't see a benefit that would offset the cost/complexity/fragility of adding a touch screen to the candybar/qwerty form factor.

Can someone please suggest some usage scenarios?
    09-14-10 05:24 PM
    Look at my name on here. I have been dreaming of dakota for over a year. I am waiting for just this phone. RIM please come out with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 09:42 PM
    No thanks, wouldn't think twice about it...I understand why some people are hesitant against using a touchscreen, and I was too after trying my friend's iPhone, but once I had the Storm2 in my hand and tried the SurePress, I was sold on that form factor for good. I do not like the slider concept, and while I see why some would embrace this half touch/half keyboard hybrid, it just isn't for me. I want a BIG screen to read/write emails, text messaging, and look at the web.
    09-15-10 06:14 AM
    No way in **** do I want a hybrid or slider device.

Hey, I have a great idea...how about RIM take the touch screen market seriously and introduce a new Storm that has a 4" screen, a processor that is at least 1 GHZ and a display that has more than five year old tech resolution.

The Torch and Storm screen resolution sucks. The screens are too small and the phones are too heavy and thick.

If RIM doesn't get its act together with the Storm3 - then this BB user is leaving RIM for good. I bought a Storm one on release day back in 2008 and after much complaining and four replacement S1's VZW gave me a free S2 to finish out my two year contract. Sure...the S2 is worlds better than the S1 but is that saying much? The screen is still small, resolution is horrible, boot time takes an eternity and the phone can't upgrade to OS6. RIM - you suck. I want a BB that is actually competitive with the iPhone and Android units out there.

RIM is on its way to being the cheap alternative in the smart phone market...as evidenced by the new $30.00 device they just released. They have all but abandoned the high end market. The Torch proves as much...as it is a pathetic attempt to try and stay relavent.
    09-15-10 08:43 AM
    I would not buy it for the holiday season because my next phone WILL be 4G/LTE

I will buy the next flagship candybar bb on Verizon that is LTE. That being said if bb drops the ball I will weigh my other options on Verizon.
    09-15-10 10:01 AM
    This needs to be 9000 sized with a mega processor, a better screen and OS6.
    09-15-10 10:15 AM
    Couldnt they just make the Bold 9000 a little taller and keep the width the same and go with a hybrid? The larger screen is what I really want plus OS6 of course.
    09-15-10 01:56 PM
    RIM is on its way to being the cheap alternative in the smart phone market...
    Therein lies a lot of cold hard truth.

Not bankruptcy but mediocrity

09-19-10 12:10 AM

you sure? cars like the Ford Focus bring in more reign than Continental, Bently, And all of the ber luxery cars combined.

IKEA is a bigger company than Ashley Furniture

$400 Windows laptops easily outnumber $1,000 Low-end Apple laptops.
    It's the same everywhere.
    09-19-10 04:45 AM
    bring it on rim. only, im not going to hold my breath. it maybe 2 yrs before this phone sees the light of day.
    09-23-10 01:07 AM
    Looks like we have to just stick with our good ol blackberries and kick back relax and wait for RIM to come out with some interesting....I'm hopeful, lets see what the holidays will bring us...Keep your fingers crossed...
    10-04-10 06:05 AM

Nokia took that route and are not doing so hot. Don't count on it fellas. RIM was started by someone who is excited by technology and innovation. Mike wouldn't allow his company to slip into mediocrity.
    Lol did you know Mike Lazaridis got an award when he was like 12 for reading every science book in the library!? And he is very interested in things like theoretical physics and the link. So I mean his mindset is innovation and new frontiers.

Last edited by sf18443; 10-06-10 at 12:22 AM.
    10-06-10 12:19 AM
    Nokia took that route and are not doing so hot. Don't count on it fellas. RIM was started by someone who is excited by technology and innovation. Mike wouldn't allow his company to slip into mediocrity.
    Lol did you know Mike Lazaridis got an award when he was like 12 for reading every science book in the library!? And he is very interested in things like theoretical physics and the link. So I mean his mindset is innovation and new frontiers.
    I LOVE BlackBerry and I LOVE my Storm2, but I'm afraid Mike has already let his company "slip into mediocrity;" otherwise their phones would already have more memory and faster processors and BB6 able to load on some past devices AND they would be available NOW (although I see a few leaks posted today. There would be no need for a refresh device had they been thinking ahead and innovated. What also has me concerned was no mention of the next Storm at the last conference.
    10-06-10 07:14 AM
    I would love to see the 9000 with a trackpad better memory, better camera, QNX.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xq0UqHxyrB...h+trackpad.jpg
    10-06-10 10:00 AM
    I'd buy. No question.

10-06-10 04:09 PM
    I'm hopeful, lets see what the holidays will bring us...Keep your fingers crossed...
    Literally the same thing the holidays brought you last year...but "refreshed"!
    10-06-10 04:15 PM
    that is smokin hot. this is the phone i want. its perfect. i would need this phone on verizon though, or it would pass me by never again will i switch carriers for a device
    I would love to see the 9000 with a trackpad better memory, better camera, QNX.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xq0UqHxyrB...h+trackpad.jpg
    10-09-10 01:43 PM
    Tactile keyboard. Just figure a 9000/9700 but with touch screen.
    Would definitely rather have a Torch... much more screen space (the 9700 screen is just too small to be good for touch).

I'm still waiting for a new Storm to drop (all touch screen) ... hopefully with a playbook-type OS.
    10-09-10 06:08 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD