Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I read somewhere that BBMO was working on a large slider, but had to scrap is because they ran into technical issues and BB no longer had the expertise to assist.
    I wonder if they'd be open to contracting with former BB employees on a 1099 basis if there were crowdfunded money available to pay for the R&D.
    I'm sure there are people in the BB community who could easily track down the people who helped to design the slider mechanism for the Priv.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    08-24-19 11:48 AM
    I think it would be a disaster. Very difficult to pull off and market.
    08-24-19 11:52 AM
    Torch 9800/9810 was considered even better designed for it’s time when compared with PRIV for it’s time five years later. Back in Torch era, different OEMs produced variety of sliders. Eventually consumer demand for VKB sans the PKB meant the demise of the slider form. CrackBerry just posted a different crowdfunding slider on the main page. You should get one if slider is your preference.
    08-24-19 12:54 PM
    Torch 9800/9810 was considered even better designed for it’s time when compared with PRIV for it’s time five years later. Back in Torch era, different OEMs produced variety of sliders. Eventually consumer demand for VKB sans the PKB meant the demise of the slider form. CrackBerry just posted a different crowdfunding slider on the main page. You should get one if slider is your preference.
    Thanks, but I have no interest in a landscape slider.
    08-25-19 03:28 PM
    I think it would be a disaster. Very difficult to pull off and market.
    The thing is, they have one that's apparently almost ready to go.
    My guess, based purely on the scant into that was shared, supposedly from a good source, is that it would be something like a Passport, but with a slide-out keyboard, leaving a nice tablet screen.
    I'd personally buy a couple like that.
    08-25-19 03:35 PM
    My guess, based purely on the scant into that was shared, supposedly from a good source, is that it would be something like a Passport, but with a slide-out keyboard, leaving a nice tablet screen.
    It certainly would be interesting to see.
    More of a tablet than a phone though?
    08-25-19 04:02 PM
    I agree!

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    08-25-19 04:07 PM
    Thanks, but I have no interest in a landscape slider.
    That's only slider information that I've seen or heard of. TCL was rumored to be involved with possible folding phone maybe down the road?
    08-25-19 06:10 PM
    This project looks more promising than the Titan and I think that if there is any chance for a vertical slider (Priv form factor) at some point it may very well come from this company if they are able to meet their targets.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 08-26-19 at 10:33 AM.
    08-25-19 07:14 PM
    If TCL planned a slider... it never got very far. Think all I've seen here were some wishes for the future...

If they had got as far as a prototype, they'd have needed some software from BlackBerry and that would have created a reference in the software builds.
    08-26-19 08:51 AM
    If TCL planned a slider... it never got very far. Think all I've seen here were some wishes for the future...

If they had got as far as a prototype, they'd have needed some software from BlackBerry and that would have created a reference in the software builds.
    Why? Why would TCL need BlackBerry to build a portrait slider?

I can't wrap my head around this.
    08-26-19 01:32 PM

So you can finally get a 4th row BlackBerry Torch keyboard on a BlackBerry Passport (with an even larger screen). What else?. (Now if they could just slip bb10 in there somehow) Slider under development?-official-blackberry-torch-9800-2.jpg
    08-26-19 02:22 PM
    It certainly would be interesting to see.
    More of a tablet than a phone though?
    This is purely a guess, but I think it's a phone with a screen the size of the entire passport, with the regular passport keyboard sliding out somehow.
    08-26-19 07:26 PM

That's the point. They needed *something* from BlackBerry, but BB no longer employs people with the right skills.
    08-26-19 07:28 PM

Possibly something to do with the physical slider mechanism, or balance. Possibly something software related.
    08-26-19 07:29 PM
    This is purely a guess, but I think it's a phone with a screen the size of the entire passport, with the regular passport keyboard sliding out somehow.
    The Passport to me was a phablet, too big to be a phone and fit in my pocket. I owned one but found it cumbersome. Nothing wrong with that and might be a product that could be used in certain industries.
    08-26-19 07:35 PM
    Mine fit easily in my pocket.
    My Priv died 3 weeks ago and I have temporarily reverted back to mine. Love the spaciousness of the keyboard.
    08-26-19 08:06 PM
    Possibly something to do with the physical slider mechanism, or balance. Possibly something software related.
    Isn't TCL competent enough to grab a Priv, study the design and the way the components were engineered, and then make their own variation?

Am I missing something here?
    08-27-19 09:22 AM
    Isn't TCL competent enough to grab a Priv, study the design and the way the components were engineered, and then make their own variation?

Am I missing something here?
    It's not about competency, it's about liability. Design risk can be shifted over to BlackBerry should it fail...

Speaking of competency, explain to me, how does TCL F up the capacitive keypad with access to all these patents?

So yeah, perhaps they aren't competent enough to produce a perfect capacitive keypad.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and the_boon like this.
    08-27-19 09:39 AM
    I was talking more about TCL doing a BlackBerry would require BlackBery to be invovled with the software.

But one reason OEMs dropped PKB.... was they do have issues that SLABS don't. Higher cost to manufacture and to support.... moving parts.

I wish we knew more about that "cheap" Jio Phone 2... where there issues with the PKB - sticky keys, keys pop off, keys stop working?

With time we might learn more about the KEY2... as it's replacement keyboard is not currently easy to find. A year from now it might be impossible.
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-27-19 09:45 AM