01-09-20 10:22 AM
47 12
tools
    I expected TCL to move to the Android One program... but they didn't with the PLEX.

Issue is I expect they are afraid of being just a hardware manufacture, the feel that they have to be like some of the other bigger players and offer some stylistic alterations. They even talked about having a coherent design and user experience between phones and their popular TC's. And they have talked a lot about ecosystems (not sure what they mean).

My view, TCL is running out of time... With Nokia now being offered by US Carriers, I'm not sure what TCL has to offer?
    I’m curious about the Nokia offerings with carriers but most I’ve seen is Series 3 to date on AT&T now.
    12-27-19 03:01 PM
    Why are we setting expectations for a non-existent product again?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-27-19 03:11 PM
    Why are we setting expectations for a non-existent product again?
    Well, since it's non-existent, we can set any expectations we want, and you can NEVER prove us wrong!

Muahahaha
    12-27-19 03:42 PM
    Chen was joking. BlackBerry will never touch devices again.

Nothing is official. But the chances TCL will do anything other than quietly ride out the rest of their contract is nil.
    Maybe being wistful is more accurate. It didn't sound like a haha joke to me. I don't think it did to you either.
    12-28-19 03:24 AM
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry has been reduced to the least innovative feature in its phones, the 20 year-old PKB. They never made an effective argument for their relevance as an Android device. None of their Android features or apps, including the Hub, were game-changers, and that's what they would have needed.

Even in these forums there were endless complaints about the cameras, which was something where BlackBerry could never have completed with the R&D spent by companies like Samsung and Apple.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Quite frankly, the complaints and yammer was no help for BlackBerry phones. The random person doing a web search for a PKB android phone would find CB and meet with what amounted to a sea of complaints. I understood the pain when the end of bb10 was at hand, but for the outsider, it was not appealing to read negative post after negative post. Not all posts were negative, of course but enough fo them were to send a message. Back then we did have @Carjackd who had a wonderful attitude at the same time as he was astute, humorous, and very helpful.
    Anyway, in my view (pun intended) the cameras were not that bad. I have used the Priv, the KEYone, and the KEY2 cameras. A family member has a DTEK60 (which has produced rich, vibrant photos).
    I found that the cameras have done quite well if a person practices and learns how to use them.
    There were tests against other phones where they fared better than expected. There are manual settings that can be learned and used. The beauty of digital cameras is you can practice with them and delete the practice shots that don't turn out so well. I loved the Priv camera, but have also enjoyed using the KEYone and KEY2 cameras.
    12-28-19 03:46 AM
    Quite frankly, the complaints and yammer was no help for BlackBerry phones. The random person doing a web search for a PKB android phone would find CB and meet with what amounted to a sea of complaints. I understood the pain when the end of bb10 was at hand, but for the outsider, it was not appealing to read negative post after negative post. Not all posts were negative, of course but enough fo them were to send a message. Back then we did have @Carjackd who had a wonderful attitude at the same time as he was astute, humorous, and very helpful.
    Anyway, in my view (pun intended) the cameras were not that bad. I have used the Priv, the KEYone, and the KEY2 cameras. A family member has a DTEK60 (which has produced rich, vibrant photos).
    I found that the cameras have done quite well if a person practices and learns how to use them.
    There were tests against other phones where they fared better than expected. There are manual settings that can be learned and used. The beauty of digital cameras is you can practice with them and delete the practice shots that don't turn out so well. I loved the Priv camera, but have also enjoyed using the KEYone and KEY2 cameras.
    I totally agree that the cameras were adequate, at least for my limited needs. But the bottom line fact is that BlackBerry was never going to beat Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. at their own game of building premium consumer electronics.

Historically, BlackBerry's special sauce was not the PKB, it was the focus on written communication in a professional context. The PKB was an important part of that from the early 2000s, but the PKB was only one of BB's innovations. If you look at their patents, fewer that 3% are related to the PKB.

Once BlackBerry surrendered its vision of a work-focused device with apps as a secondary feature (BBOS/BB10), they gave up their core differentiation and were left with the PKB form factor as the defining characteristic of the brand. It was like replacing LeBron James with someone else just as tall and wondering why the new player isn't as successful.

The BlackBerry Android phones looked like real BlackBerry devices, but they were just Android phones with PKBs. That was fine for the people who just wanted an Android phone with a PKB. But some of us preferred the integrated BlackBerry device experience that prioritized traditional business functions like email, calls, contacts, calendar, etc OVER other apps.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-28-19 at 07:44 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-28-19 07:26 AM
    There are complaints for every single device out there.

It's just that if a casual consumer who was skeptical about the brand initially came across some complaints on CB, it might deter him away for good.
    12-29-19 07:38 AM

It's just that if a casual consumer who was skeptical about the brand initially came across some complaints on CB, it might deter him away for good.
    We should always remember that "fan" is an abbreviation for "fanatic," and fanatics are defined as being irrational about the objects of their interest!

It's no more surprising that BlackBerry fans argue about their preferred devices and features than it is that Star Trek fans argue about their favorite captains or starships. Any casually interested personal listening in on such a conversation should not mistake it for objective reviews!

The published reviews for the KEY devices were generally good, and deservedly so, even if they weren't perfect devices. Device quality (including the KEYone screen issue) is not the reason they failed to gain sufficient market share.

skrble likes this.
    12-29-19 07:52 AM
    BlackBerry devices via TCL might be dead but I have hope the BlackBerry PKB will live on through licensing agreements or someone simply purchasing the patents. I'll run this LE into the ground and probably even buy another for backup.

As long as I'm getting security updates I'm happy. I can't say that I don't wish (like the rest of us) for a new KEY3 and KEYSlide but I'm doubtful we will ever see another full blown BlackBerry branded device.
    01-07-20 09:34 AM
    BlackBerry devices via TCL might be dead but I have hope the BlackBerry PKB will live on through licensing agreements or someone simply purchasing the patents. I'll run this LE into the ground and probably even buy another for backup.

As long as I'm getting security updates I'm happy. I can't say that I don't wish (like the rest of us) for a new KEY3 and KEYSlide but I'm doubtful we will ever see another full blown BlackBerry branded device.
    How big is the PKB market, without BlackBerry or Security aspects?

I think BBMo (and all three of those kickstarters) have done their part to define the PKB market....
    01-07-20 10:18 AM
    For shots that the BlackBerry software has problems with, I find that A Better Camera Unlocked gets the job done.
    phuoc likes this.
    01-07-20 10:51 AM
    How big is the PKB market, without BlackBerry or Security aspects?

I think BBMo (and all three of those kickstarters) have done their part to define the PKB market....
    I think there is and always will be a market for the PKB. My feeling is the marketing behind the current BlackBerry devices was non existent and therefore no one knows they exist. Rarely does someone see my phone and not say "I didn't know they still made BlackBerry"

I don't know if the BlackBerry PKB will be on a BlackBerry branded device or not but I'm hopeful it will live on. I would love to see the PKB on a Galaxy, One+, Pixel or some other Android device.
    01-08-20 11:38 AM
    I think there is and always will be a market for the PKB. My feeling is the marketing behind the current BlackBerry devices was non existent and therefore no one knows they exist. Rarely does someone see my phone and not say "I didn't know they still made BlackBerry"

I don't know if the BlackBerry PKB will be on a BlackBerry branded device or not but I'm hopeful it will live on. I would love to see the PKB on a Galaxy, One+, Pixel or some other Android device.
    That doesn’t mean people want a PKB just thought BB hardware long dead like the old person down the street nobody has seen or heard from in years.

Reality is that outside here, nobody cares for a PKB ever.
    phuoc, pdr733 and hplovecraft like this.
    01-08-20 11:48 AM
    That doesn’t mean people want a PKB just thought BB hardware long dead like the old person down the street nobody has seen or heard from in years.

And even inside here... there is a big variance in what a PKB phone should be.
    01-08-20 12:44 PM

I've ran into people that care and they aren't on CB or CB Forums. You may not know anyone that cares but I do.
    01-08-20 12:44 PM
    I've ran into people that care and they aren't on CB or CB Forums. You may not know anyone that cares but I do.
    But they already own the hardware so what’s the point?
    01-08-20 01:10 PM
    And even inside here... there is a big variance in what a PKB phone should be.
    In any product, it’s negative indicator when your remaining userbase is fragmented to point it has no viable solution.
    01-08-20 01:12 PM

For BBMo the Pop-off screens of the lauch KEYone devices, was bullet to the chest... in not the head. Folks were already wondering what TCL would do quality wise.... When paired to the older hardware left over from the year before designs BlackBerry had done and the "premium" price.

Titan is much the same... I doubt it will come back from the negative reviews you had or the number of people here saying they return it. I'm surprised that they even allow that...

But in both cases... is it really the fault of the fans, or the company pushing out these products?
    01-08-20 02:41 PM
    But they already own the hardware so what’s the point?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, the people I'm meeting aren't BlackBerry users. They use toucschreen devices and both miss their PKB and have no idea BlackBerry was even making devices.
    01-09-20 09:51 AM
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, the people I'm meeting aren't BlackBerry users. They use toucschreen devices and both miss their PKB and have no idea BlackBerry was even making devices.
    So now, they’ve all gone out and purchased a Key something. Doesn’t matter as I’ve learned people are just being polite. When people know and see my KEYones, I heard the same comments. Even though with several, we’ve had the same conversation and comments for years.

Even though I’ve dual carried for almost fourteen years it’s some variation of that comment since 2012-2013 or so. As soon as I went solo iOS, all those same friends and family have been like, you finally got a modern phone. They understood BBs ran Android since I’d stated it repeatedly. They didn’t want to make fun of the PKB although in their minds, it made the phone just look ancient.
    Bbnivende and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    01-09-20 10:03 AM
    So now, they’ve all gone out and purchased a Key something. Doesn’t matter as I’ve learned people are just being polite. When people know and see my KEYones, I heard the same comments. Even though with several, we’ve had the same conversation and comments for years.

Even though I’ve dual carried for almost fourteen years it’s some variation of that comment since 2012-2013 or so. As soon as I went solo iOS, all those same friends and family have been like, you finally got a modern phone. They understood BBs ran Android since I’d stated it repeatedly. They didn’t want to make fun of the PKB although in their minds, it made the phone just look ancient.
    Yeah they could just be putting on a polite face. A lot fo my co-workers give me crap about still having a BlackBerry. I work in outside sales so having the ability to bang out emails without having to use autocorrect or worry about a ton of typos is critical to me.

They can keep carrying their slabs, I'll stick with my PKB as long as possible. All that being said I still don't think the PKB is going anywhere. As small as the market is I believe it will live on.

If someone wants to run the latest greatest IOS or Android device more power to them. I'm sticking with this old Android OS and my PKB.
    01-09-20 10:20 AM
    Yeah they could just be putting on a polite face. A lot fo my co-workers give me crap about still having a BlackBerry. I work in outside sales so having the ability to bang out emails without having to use autocorrect or worry about a ton of typos is critical to me.

They can keep carrying their slabs, I'll stick with my PKB as long as possible. All that being said I still don't think the PKB is going anywhere. As small as the market is I believe it will live on.

If someone wants to run the latest greatest IOS or Android device more power to them. I'm sticking with this old Android OS and my PKB.
    I’ll be right there with you and that next PKB AT&T carrier supported model.
    tnewton3 likes this.
    01-09-20 10:22 AM
47 12