Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
05-22-19 12:15 AM
240 ... 23456 ...
tools
    They don't, the last device to have one was the Note 8 and production was cut short shortly after they were introduced, which means it's virtually impossible to find a regular English QWERTY one but you can easily find a Korean/English one on eBay.

The S9/+ and Note 9 don't have PKB add-ons.

BBMo is officially the last to propose PKB's, aside from that Cosmo Communicator and Gemini PDA lol.
    Interesting, they were pretty much a given since the S6 days. I wonder how well they sold.

Correct, and all the keyboards that I remember coming out were nothing to write home about or even comparable to the BlackBerry keyboard. The Samsung physical keyboard add on is a joke as well.
    I think it's just down to personal preference, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Nokia, etc still sold millions of keyboard devices (possibly more than BlackBerry ever did) so they weren't failures or market rejects by any means. In the end, consumers simply chose virtual keyboards for their smartphones.

That being said, BlackBerry Ltd was still pushing physical keyboards in 2016 so they do own what is basically the most advanced keyboard tech on the market (capacitive touch, fingerprint scanner built in, etc).
    02-03-19 11:21 AM
    Get textra pro. It will integrate w hub.
    02-03-19 12:56 PM
    No, that works perfectly. My challenge is that it's essential that I accomplish several things in near real time:

1) Schedule the meeting with 3-5 people, some of whom may already be in my contacts list.

2) Add all new contacts immediately with first and last names, work emails and mobile numbers.

3) Send a follow up text message confirming the meeting (because data services are unreliable at conventions, causing people to miss invitations and emails)

The surprise was that I couldn't add a new contact while inside the calendar event work flow. I have to switch to the contacts app. The work around is to validate all the contacts before creating the event, which I did, but that wastes time when the contacts already exist.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Seems to work fine? This is what I've tested;

1) Inside the calendar app, set up a meeting with 2 invites (Existing contact + new contact). The existing contacts are displayed by firstname lastname and the new contact is displayed by email address.

2) Once the meeting is created. Inside the calendar app, go to the newly created meeting and click on the contacts invited to the meeting with email addresses only, click add to contacts. And if you goto the app switcher, you'll notice you the contacts app isn't open.

Also if you choose to send a follow up email, it will open up the hub but that seams reasonable to me.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-03-19 02:44 PM
    Seems to work fine? This is what I've tested;

1) Inside the calendar app, set up a meeting with 2 invites (Existing contact + new contact). The existing contacts are displayed by firstname lastname and the new contact is displayed by email address.

2) Once the meeting is created. Inside the calendar app, go to the newly created meeting and click on the contacts invited to the meeting with email addresses only, click add to contacts. And if you goto the app switcher, you'll notice you the contacts app isn't open.

Also if you choose to send a follow up email, it will open up the hub but that seams reasonable to me.
    First, thank you for testing that. I agree that would solve the problem. I though I tried that, but perhaps I didn't do it in that order. I'll test on my end. Using the Hub is preferred, so that's not an issue at all.

02-03-19 02:55 PM
    So I am just wondering for the KEY 3 rumors.

Is the consensus that a KEY 3 won't be launching in 2019 as some have speculated? If it does indeed launch in 2019, are we expecting it to launch closer to the end of the year?

Are we expecting anything concrete from Mobile World Congress from BlackBerry Mobile??

Many thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    02-04-19 04:59 PM
    So I am just wondering for the KEY 3 rumors.

Is the consensus that a KEY 3 won't be launching in 2019 as some have speculated? If it does indeed launch in 2019, are we expecting it to launch closer to the end of the year?

Are we expecting anything concrete from Mobile World Congress from BlackBerry Mobile??

Many thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    I think it'll be Sept-Dec release
    02-05-19 06:20 AM
    BBOS was great for it's time and BB10 never evolved to reach that greatness relative to other mobile OS for it’s time. I find BBAndroid incorporates much of the best of both. The biggest issue to more BB Features is making changes to Android that Android users don’t want or care about.
    I guess that depends on your definition of greatness. I think I'm pretty amazing and spectacular at the same time yet my wife may not agree.
    I think most here will agree that BB10 was at a point of greatness. Unfortunately it had its artery severed, left to whither away in a dark alley. Chen stepped out of that alley into the street lights with his triad switchblade pocketed in his inside suit jacket, looking both ways he chose a new path at that intersection.

Not saying the choice was right or wrong cause when you are trying to save as many souls as you can you don't bring the sick on the life boat to die or infect others defeating the purpose of saving souls.

I still think BB10 was the best OS I have ever used. Unfortunate is all I can say.

*** look I used two hands this time and took my time
    OP3T
    02-05-19 07:46 AM
    I think most here will agree that BB10 was at a point of greatness
    ...except for unsatisfactory standby battery life and no option for night mode, no icon customization, no customization of any kind to the OS itself aside from rearranging stuff...
    02-05-19 08:56 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    TCL....not convinced we will see another pkb from them....new high end phone long overdue....

Posted via CB10
    deiop likes this.
    02-05-19 08:57 AM
    ...except for unsatisfactory standby battery life and no option for night mode, no icon customization, no customization of any kind to the OS itself aside from rearranging stuff...
    My Passport battery life was amazing and one of the best at the time of launch.

It took just as much effort to dim the screen as switching to night mode lol.

Changing icons...... I did that when I was younger, Yes that was fun

Had gestures before stock Android or ios, but I don't want to get into a pissing match about what is better or best. I'm just saying it was awesomeness in its own right

It got S*** done and had less issues then android. It "was" and "did" achieve greatness, is all I was trying to say. I'm not comparing to today.
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 02-05-19 at 09:41 AM.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-05-19 09:16 AM
    ...except for unsatisfactory standby battery life
    Standby consumption is things like radio power usage, integrated components, "software vs hardware" support for features like encryption, etc so the SOC matters.

If we use the Passport and SD 801 as a benchmark, BB10 out of the box is actually comparable to if not better than similar Android devices like the Moto X, HTC One M8, LG G3, OnePlus One, etc.

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
    02-05-19 10:49 AM
    Standby consumption is things like radio power usage, integrated components, "software vs hardware" support for features like encryption, etc so the SOC matters.

If we use the Passport and SD 801 as a benchmark, BB10 out of the box is actually comparable to if not better than similar Android devices like the Moto X, HTC One M8, LG G3, OnePlus One, etc.

Fair enough.

I thought the Passport had acceptable battery life even with some Android activity going on, but that's probably due to the 3400mAh cell.

The Classic however, sucked in my opinion for a phone with a tiny 3.5" LCD and a 2500mAh cell.
    02-05-19 11:02 AM

A bigger tank doesn't mean it's more fuel efficient.
    02-05-19 11:16 AM
    True story. Tell it to my Grand Cherokee SRT....good thing I sold it!
    02-05-19 11:18 AM
    I guess that depends on your definition of greatness. I think I'm pretty amazing and spectacular at the same time yet my wife may not agree.
    I think most here will agree that BB10 was at a point of greatness. Unfortunately it had its artery severed, left to whither away in a dark alley. Chen stepped out of that alley into the street lights with his triad switchblade pocketed in his inside suit jacket, looking both ways he chose a new path at that intersection.

Not saying the choice was right or wrong cause when you are trying to save as many souls as you can you don't bring the sick on the life boat to die or infect others defeating the purpose of saving souls.

I still think BB10 was the best OS I have ever used. Unfortunate is all I can say.

*** look I used two hands this time and took my time
    OP3T
    For each person, I believe the greatness of the OS is what it allows each individual user to gain from whatever previous OS used. For many, BBOS was about calls, texting and email with some convenient online browsing. When I got my first BB10 phone, it went backwards for me. When I got my first BBAndroid phone, it went sideways for me since it wasn’t really different from other Android besides the hub. In three years BBAndroid has grabbed many of the features I liked about BBOS and BB10 with the ecosystem that allows me to leave my laptop in my truck for all but the most specialized programs found exclusively on the laptop....

Thanks for taking your time on the OP3T and spellcheck. LOL... I use my iPad for similar reasons...
    02-05-19 02:10 PM
    Fair enough.

I thought the Passport had acceptable battery life even with some Android activity going on, but that's probably due to the 3400mAh cell.

The Classic however, sucked in my opinion for a phone with a tiny 3.5" LCD and a 2500mAh cell.
    Yeah the S4 Plus definitely overstayed its welcome on BB10, lol

I don't know if any Android phone with the 801 had the same size battery as the Passport but the LG G3 and OnePlus One are 3000 mAh+ and scored between 7-10 hours less than the Passport. It's not a 1:1 comparison but it's at least something.
    02-05-19 03:03 PM
    Fair enough.

Come on Boon, size doesn’t matter....
    02-05-19 03:32 PM
    the fact there is no rumor of the Key3 starts to worry me a bit. after checking old for posts it seems that key2 rumors were coming our way already at the same time last year. we arealready in February ! if they keep the same schedule as before it means only 4 month before the key3 is being released to market.

yet nothing concrete and I start to hear information that is at TCL nothing is sure concerning the BlackBerry brand anymore.

I cross my finger for BlackBerry mobile do one more device for us !
    RK_BB and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-05-19 07:20 PM
    the fact there is no rumor of the Key3 starts to worry me a bit. after checking old for posts it seems that key2 rumors were coming our way already at the same time last year. we arealready in February ! if they keep the same schedule as before it means only 4 month before the key3 is being released to market.

yet nothing concrete and I start to hear information that is at TCL nothing is sure concerning the BlackBerry brand anymore.

I cross my finger for BlackBerry mobile do one more device for us !
    I would not be sad if BBMo was a transitional solution. Maybe with the end of BB 10 there will come something new. TCL never was focused on privacy, but BlackBerry seems to be. So if BB Ltd. would look for another company it would be logical. Chen declared the BB10 devices Passport and Classic as the most secure ones at time some weeks ago (and not BlackBerry Android). Sure they stop BB10 at the end of this year, but I think they work on another solution and probably will licence it to another company.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 02-06-19 at 10:47 AM.
    02-06-19 07:50 AM
    I would not be sad if BBMo was a transitional solution. Maybe with the end of BB 10 there will come something new. TCL never was focused on privacy, but BlackBerry seems to be. So if they would look for another company it would be logical. Chen declared the BB10 devices Passport and Classic as the most secure ones at time some weeks ago (and not BlackBerry Android). Sure they stop BB10 at the end of this year, but I think they work on another solution and probably will licence it to another company.
    I thought BB ltd was DONE with hardware in general ?
    02-06-19 09:06 AM
    I would not be sad if BBMo was a transitional solution. Maybe with the end of BB 10 there will come something new. TCL never was focused on privacy, but BlackBerry seems to be. So if they would look for another company it would be logical. Chen declared the BB10 devices Passport and Classic as the most secure ones at time some weeks ago (and not BlackBerry Android). Sure they stop BB10 at the end of this year, but I think they work on another solution and probably will licence it to another company.
    I think the licensing term for BlackBerry Mobile is five years, so, unless BlackBerry Mobile buys their way out of the contract, we won't see devices from any other company with the BlackBerry logo until 2022 at the earliest.

02-06-19 09:08 AM
    I think the licensing term for BlackBerry Mobile is five years, so, unless BlackBerry Mobile buys their way out of the contract, we won't see devices from any other company with the BlackBerry logo until 2022 at the earliest.

I expect that there were some "performance" requirements with the licensing. As Chen was only able to get revenue based on unit sales, I'm sure he made sure there would be unit sales. If BBMo and the other two... fail to meet those, BlackBerry is probable free to offer it to someone else.... but finding someone else would be the challenge at this point.
    02-06-19 09:41 AM
    I thought BB ltd was DONE with hardware in general ?
    But they are not out of developing software and licencing it.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 02-06-19 at 10:46 AM.
    02-06-19 09:55 AM

The new way of marketing should be "BlackBerry - secured" . They still use the logo by themselves, and there is no writing "BlackBerry" on the BBMo devices...
    02-06-19 10:01 AM
    I expect that there were some "performance" requirements with the licensing. As Chen was only able to get revenue based on unit sales, I'm sure he made sure there would be unit sales. If BBMo and the other two... fail to meet those, BlackBerry is probable free to offer it to someone else.... but finding someone else would be the challenge at this point.
    But if it is a new privacy-focused product not named BB10 or BB powered by Android ?
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 02-06-19 at 10:49 AM.
    02-06-19 10:07 AM
240 ... 23456 ...