09-26-13 12:03 AM
73 123
tools
    As I participated in the discussion regarding the mystery event BlackBerry plans to host September 18th in Malaysia, I read a few posts about the rumored O-Series device...

Then, I stumbled upon this forum thread started by Kevin Michaluk,
    http://http://forums.crackberry.com/...poetry-848877/.

If I understood Kevin correctly, encoded inside the lines of this poem is BlackBerry's roadmap for 2014. Kevin wrote,

"Oh Windemere
    How I long for thee from Ontario
    But wish I could travel, and swim in the
    Tigris and Euphrates."

The poem speaks of codenames Windemere, Ontario, Tigris, and Euphrates for the W-Series, O-Series, T-Series, and E-Series, respectively.

I'm probably being extremely impatient, but I have to ask this question.

If anybody knows any information about these rumored devices (especially the O-Series), would you please be kind enough to share it?

Even if this device is significantly better than the Z30, as long as my financial situation allows it, I will purchase the Z30 and later replace it with the O-Series. This way, I can support BBRY.

Thanks you in advance.
    09-15-13 06:11 PM
    Are you guessing or is there some info on these 4 code names somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:15 PM
    I provided a link to the thread that Kevin started, but for some reason, it didn't work...

Here it is again...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...poetry-848877/
    09-15-13 06:31 PM
    Oh yes I saw that thread...was just wondering if people are reading too much in to it or if those are the actual code names.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:32 PM
    I can tell you this.

Based on what I know of the O series --- it is going to be a long wait. And it will have worse app support off the hop than the Q series. If the display changes are true, it's another broken promise by Alex on screen resolutions to developers. And he would need to give a lot of love out to have everything redone.

We are talking a minimum of 6 months - but likely much much longer. And even then it's easier for a developer to down sample an application that up sample.

Add into that the fact I know they hard coded display sizes *everywhere* in the BB10 OS. And it means a major effort for BBRY to stretch the OS elements. Not to mention most of their graphical work would need to be redone at the higher resolution.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 06:49 PM
    I can tell you this.

Based on what I know if the O series --- it is going to be a long wait. And it will have worse app support off the hop than the Q series.

We are talking a minimum of 6 months - but likely longer.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Care to share what it is that you know?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:50 PM
    Care to share what it is that you know?

Posted via CB10
    Very little. Rumours and tidbits from testers, carrier testers, and developer friends at RIM.

It changes a lot. I don't think they have fully decided anything concrete themselves yet. And some of it is second hand rumour (i.e. Developer hears it from a friend who's in a team...). nothing worth sinking interest into yet.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 06:55 PM
    Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant. I started this thread hoping to find the answer to that question. In my opinion, those are actual code-names because this isn't the first time we're hearing about the O-Series. I believe Kevin knows people at BBRY who gave him a glimpse of what is to come and he is being nice (at the same time mean ) by somewhat sharing the information.

I pray this is true because I would be impressed with BBRY for the following reasons:

1. They released a brand-new OS
    2. They already updated it and 10.2 is on its way
    3. They released the Z10, Q10, Q5, and 9720...two more are on their way this year
    4. They already have another four devices in the works

This is a new company. A company that is working hard to fix its mistakes and build a brighter future. This is why I am willing to buy the Z30 and the O-Series. I want to support BBRY...sorry for the rant lol...you asked one question and I got carried away.
    yunique likes this.
    09-15-13 07:06 PM
    Pretty much. And one important clarification - O-Series, A-Series etc are internal BBRY terms. Could be called the z-5c

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 07:38 PM
    I can tell you this.

Based on what I know of the O series --- it is going to be a long wait. And it will have worse app support off the hop than the Q series. If the display changes are true, it's another broken promise by Alex on screen resolutions to developers. And he would need to give a lot of love out to have everything redone.

We are talking a minimum of 6 months - but likely much much longer. And even then it's easier for a developer to down sample an application that up sample.

Add into that the fact I know they hard coded display sizes *everywhere* in the BB10 OS. And it means a major effort for BBRY to stretch the OS elements. Not to mention most of their graphical work would need to be redone at the higher resolution.

Posted via CB from my LE
    It's not absolutely dead certain that a 1080p screen would need additional developer support. The OS could "thunk" 720 apps. I'd be more concerned about aspect ratio; as long as the 16:9 is maintained I'm not sure there has to be a problem here.
    RyanGermann and kfh227 like this.
    09-15-13 07:42 PM
    It's not absolutely dead certain that a 1080p screen would need additional developer support. The OS could "thunk" 720 apps. I'd be more concerned about aspect ratio; as long as the 16:9 is maintained I'm not sure there has to be a problem here.
    That's true...

Not sure if they would do that though.. I would have thought they would have done that with the PB apps if they were going to do it. And I didn't see them do that in OS7 and earlier.

Apple did a good job of up scaling from iPhone to iPad though, it would be interesting to see if bbry tries the same.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 08:00 PM
    I hope you're right! In the thread about the mystery event taking place in Malaysia, Kris shared a photo with potential specs for the O-Series. The first spec on the list was a 5" 1080p screen. Knowing BBRY specifically said that there will not be any 1080p devices, I became skeptical. But if what you say is true and there is an algorithm that will take care of the screen-problem, then maybe Kris's photo isn't false.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-15-13 08:12 PM
    Hey guys what happened to the accessories for mobile computing that were suppose to come with the Z30.
    09-15-13 08:29 PM
    Maybe they will, ahem, leapfrog the competition and jump to a 1440p display? Then they could have simple pixel doubling from 720p just like Apple did when they introduced the Retina display in the iPhone.

LG Display claims a world's first with 2,560 x 1,440 LCD for smartphones
    09-15-13 09:11 PM
    Between that mysteriously-deleted thread the other night, and Kris' tease in the Malaysia thread, I firmly believe this is in the pipeline.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-15-13 09:30 PM
    In December a newer version of QNX will be announced (the QNX 10). It will be the basis for BlackBerry 11(or 10.3). Changes:
    • New Cascades based on Qt 5
    • Full Support for Quad Core Processors
    • Improvements to the Android Runtime(i dont know what they will do)
    • Support for fullHD displays
    • Introduction of M2M features
    • OpenGL ES 3.0
    • New Toast notifications
    • Quick Toggles
    mathking606, redsaph and ofutur like this.
    09-16-13 08:33 AM
    As for the O Series will have 3 or 4 GB of RAM
    09-16-13 08:34 AM
    Mario, where did you get said information? Internal source or just a hunch of yours?
    09-16-13 08:45 AM
    My sources are not exactly working for BlackBerry but BlackBerry give the roadmaps for software and hardware.
    09-16-13 10:07 AM
    In December a newer version of QNX will be announced (the QNX 10). It will be the basis for BlackBerry 11(or 10.3). Changes:
    • OpenGL ES 3.0
    • Quick Toggles
    Sounds good. Should make them more competive in the smartphone market to have quad core processors.

Sent from my Q10
    09-16-13 11:32 AM
    • OpenGL ES 3.0
    • Quick Toggles
    Oh, rumours like these make it so I want more than ever for BlackBerry to continue as an OS and branded custom-built hardware vendor and not be split up into pieces. I hope that (maybe I expect that) potential buyers are aware of these advances and that a buyer that wants to fulfill my hopes and dreams (not just for me, just coincidentally :-) ) will step up.
    09-16-13 12:38 PM
    My biggest worry about BlackBerry 10 potential and imminent support for quad core processors and higher RAM.. would that mean that the Z10, Z30, Q10 and Q5 will not be supported with updates to OS11 or 10.3 (whichever it's called)? Not to be negative, but the playbook didn't get an update because it had 1GB of RAM.. I hope they don't make the same mistakes again.. please BlackBerry please don't make the same mistakes and support the first gen of BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-16-13 01:08 PM
    My biggest worry about BlackBerry 10 potential and imminent support for quad core processors and higher RAM.. would that mean that the Z10, Z30, Q10 and Q5 will not be supported with updates to OS11 or 10.3 (whichever it's called)? Not to be negative, but the playbook didn't get an update because it had 1GB of RAM.. I hope they don't make the same mistakes again.. please BlackBerry please don't make the same mistakes and support the first gen of BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    I would think they learned their lesson and even if the update has to be a scaled down version for the earlier generation phones, I think that's what they'll do. That's just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 01:12 PM
    Let's see what happens with z30 first before we start looking into rumors for items a year from now

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    09-16-13 01:16 PM
    As long as the GPU is powerful enough, I think it won't be a problem to resize apps for 1080p. With loss of some detail though, but at 1080p it will be acceptable with some anti-aliasing which requires the GPU HP (till apps will be recoded). Probably native apps will be 1080p from the beginning. Just my guess.
    09-16-13 01:23 PM
73 123