05-29-12 04:41 PM
27 12
tools
    According to N4BB's recent post, the BB10 Slider codenamed 'Milan' has been cancelled for possible hardware issues.

BlackBerry 10 Slider ‘Milan’ Has Been Cancelled | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

BlackBerry 10 Slider ‘Milan’ Has Been Cancelled

by: Lucas Atkins

We’ve received word from one of our sources, who says the BlackBerry 10 slider, codenamed Milan, has been canned. We haven’t received specific details just yet, but it is apparently an issue with hardware.

None of the BlackBerry 10 devices have been made yet. They are still in engineering, under New Product Introduction (NPI). RIM is allegedly waiting for a new LTE dual-core chipset from Qualcomm before they start production.

For now, we can only guess the Milan has been cancelled for possible obvious reasons. A portrait slider with a rumored 4.2-in screen would be quite awkward. Perhaps RIM is going back to the drawing board to pursue a more horizontal approach we told you about last year. Keep it locked to N4BB as we attain more details on the matter.
    For myself, I would be disappointed because I have always liked sliders due to the mix of physical keyboard and full-touch screen capabilities, but at this point, I love my Bold 9930 and feel nothing can replace it, maybe a BB10 device in the BOLD form factor in the future. We will just have to wait and see if this plays out as rumored.
    Last edited by ZMc1834; 01-03-12 at 12:15 PM.
    01-03-12 12:09 PM
    I have been holding out on using my upgrade for a BB10 Slider. I hope they do come out with one, sooner then later, but with RIM's history I am afraid it will be later then sooner. I wonder if Dell's look alike may have anything to do with this new rumor?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    jkomo001 likes this.
    01-03-12 01:12 PM
    The wording of this suggests it's just the specific Milan prototype that's going, not sliders in general.

I have a 9800, and almost never use my slider (I find the keys to small to be truly useful for typing), so the loss of a portrait slider isn't a great heartbreak for me.

I'd be VERY interested in a landscape slider, though.
    01-03-12 01:54 PM
    Where are they getting a 4.2" screen size from? That is first anyone has even mentioned that. The only rumor before that was a 3.7" screen size.
    01-03-12 03:36 PM
    The wording of this suggests it's just the specific Milan prototype that's going, not sliders in general.

I have a 9800, and almost never use my slider (I find the keys to small to be truly useful for typing), so the loss of a portrait slider isn't a great heartbreak for me.

I'd be VERY interested in a landscape slider, though.
    I understand the keys on the 9800 are small and too deep. Takes a little getting used to but even then, coming from a Bold. I prefer the keys on my 9700.

So I'm hoping they have a 9900 keyboard on it with the keys popping out a little bit more. Especially since the new slider should have a wider real estate.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    01-03-12 03:38 PM
    Well, it's just a rumor. They could cancel one type of slider and then revamp it to a become a different type of slider.
    01-03-12 07:17 PM
    Ive talked to a few people on here about the idea of a horizontal slider already and people seem to prefer it over the verticle. 9810 is 111mm closed and 147.6mm closed, basic math shows us thats 36.6mm longer or about 33%. So if they come out with a 4" screen VS 9810's 3.2" just imagine how long that would be.
    01-06-12 08:33 PM
    Ive talked to a few people on here about the idea of a horizontal slider already and people seem to prefer it over the verticle. 9810 is 111mm closed and 147.6mm closed, basic math shows us thats 36.6mm longer or about 33%. So if they come out with a 4" screen VS 9810's 3.2" just imagine how long that would be.
    It would be long but if RIM could get it balance then I bet most people would get used to it. The original rumor was 3.7" screen I personally think a screen just under 4" is perfect. Say 3.8" or 3.9"
    01-13-12 01:20 AM
    I have heard around the webs (nothing official) that the reason this was cancelled is lack of interest from carriers who basically said, no more qwerty phones, they aren't selling well.
    01-13-12 12:02 PM
    If you look at a Torch you will realise the screen can easily grow without increasing device overall dimensions or affecting usability. There is just so much space around the current screen.The edges slope off and are rounded. If made more square (like the Milan) it can easily take 3.7"
    So far BB10 devices seen are branded where we have the call/menu/trackpad/back/end buttons.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 01-16-12 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
    01-13-12 12:46 PM
    I like the look of it but do agree that the torch was Huge when opened and can only imagine how large the milan would be. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    01-20-12 09:27 AM
    According to N4BB's recent post, the BB10 Slider codenamed 'Milan' has been cancelled for possible hardware issues.

BlackBerry 10 Slider Milan Has Been Cancelled | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

For myself, I would be disappointed because I have always liked sliders due to the mix of physical keyboard and full-touch screen capabilities, but at this point, I love my Bold 9930 and feel nothing can replace it, maybe a BB10 device in the BOLD form factor in the future. We will just have to wait and see if this plays out as rumored.
    It's still showing up in the 2012 roadmap posted early this afternoon.
    01-25-12 01:01 PM
    Is it? I remember reading only the slab and Bold factor form. Not the slider though. If they do come out with the slider. I'd love to get it. That's what I want from a BB10 phone. I hope they have it.
    01-25-12 01:41 PM
    It's still showing up in the 2012 roadmap posted early this afternoon.
    On the roadmap that BGR posted, it says a QWERTY slider in slated for Q1 of 2013, but doesn't specifically reference the "Milan". This suggested slider might be a different variation or something all new. The rumor from N4BB probably will still hold true and RIM is going back to the drawing board due to the reported hardware complications of the "Milan". It's all just speculation until a phone is released.
    01-26-12 07:13 AM
    I've read its been cancelled due to hardware issues, despite people saying its back up for the running. I did/do not like the Milan, it looks awkward with the logo where the trackpad should be, I think part of RIMs success surrounds the trademark trackpad, the Milan reminds me very much of a Nokia which surely can't be the idea
    Rumour: RIM cancels BlackBerry Milan - News - Know Your Mobile
    03-09-12 02:49 PM
    D'oh! I actually liked this design.
    05-01-12 04:35 PM
    They better not drop the slider design. I'd likely not upgrade to a BB10 phone without it.
    05-03-12 02:47 PM
    The odds are that sliders are simply a lower priority right now, you have to assume that the bb10 bold will have a bigger screen and there simply won't be the market for a device between a 3.1" bold and a 4.2" all-touch especially when it would obviously be thicker and heavier than either of the alternatives.
    05-04-12 07:52 AM
    "...to pursue a more horizontal approach"? I like the sound of that. A 4.2" display with a landscape slider would be very nicely balanced. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
    05-04-12 01:30 PM
    "...to pursue a more horizontal approach"? I like the sound of that. A 4.2" display with a landscape slider would be very nicely balanced. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
    Where did you get that quote??

And a 4.2 inch screen with any type of slider. I'd definitely be on that too.
    05-05-12 12:55 AM
    4.2 is too big for me, thanks. Keep the current Torch 9800 form factor.
    05-05-12 01:08 AM
    A Blade-like slider would be a nice replacement for the Milan. That's the first BB phone I've ever looked at and instantly thought - "I want this".

My $.02 - rounded down, I realize it's worthless.
    05-07-12 02:34 PM
    I wonder if the "Milan" codename was replaced with the "Naples" codename, as in Milan, Italy & Naples, Italy.
    05-08-12 11:23 AM
    Where did you get that quote??

And a 4.2 inch screen with any type of slider. I'd definitely be on that too.
    Last paragraph of the article quoted by the OP.

A guy I'm working with whipped out something with a horizontal slider. I didn't get a chance to ask him what it was, but I was almost envious. Looked like it was around a 4" screen. He's a major geek, so I'm sure it isn't some cheap pos.
    05-09-12 10:27 AM
    I'm all for a touch phone with a sliding keyboard, phones with physical keyboards are slowly vanishing and not everyone likes touch keyboards.

3.7" to 4.2" is the right size for me, 3.5" is too small for a touch screen for my liking (I've owned a few as well as some 3.2" ones), my HTC Desire is 3.7" and it's just the perfect size aside how difficult it can be to type on the software keyboard without clicking the wrong letter all the time.

My upgrade is ready right now, I can upgrade to the Bold 9900 but I've also been looking at the LG Optimus LTE, however I'm waiting on the news from RIM about these type of phones but I'm running out of patience.
    05-16-12 10:44 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD