03-13-15 07:40 AM
66 123
tools
    As someone who has owned Z10 and Z30, I really liked the screen on the Z10 better. I'd love the full touch upgrade to be a rich screen but with a battery big enough to power it.

The Z10 was easier on my eyes at night. I can't dim the Z30 enough.

Anyone who has tried both screens agree? Disagree?

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    02-18-15 08:17 PM
    As someone who has owned Z10 and Z30, I really liked the screen on the Z10 better. I'd love the full touch upgrade to be a rich screen but with a battery big enough to power it.

The Z10 was easier on my eyes at night. I can't dim the Z30 enough.

Anyone who has tried both screens agree? Disagree?

Personally I prefer the Z30 screen. The loss in PPI doesn't bother me because easier to read. Maybe a bit too bright when something that is white background at night. The benefits of LED out way the drawbacks in power for LCD and light bleed IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:06 PM
    Personally I prefer the Z30 screen. The loss in PPI doesn't bother me because easier to read. Maybe a bit too bright when something that is white background at night. The benefits of LED out way the drawbacks in power for LCD and light bleed IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    I don't remember any light bleed with the Z10. I'm not sure if it's the PPI I'm noticing or what. When I went to the screen difference didn't matter to me because I was so grateful to be rid of the battery issue.

But the other day I started up my wife's Z10 and was just blown away by how good the screen looked. So it's not so much of a difference that it would stop me from upgrading to another LED. I just like the characteristics of how the Z10 looks.

I'm not that picky it's just that I really noticed the difference going back to it.

Is the PlayBook the same PPI as the Z10? Because the screens seem to have that same look about them.

02-18-15 10:39 PM
    What little hope I have in BlackBerry making good competitive phones is almost gone.

Chen is boring.
    Chen has no idea what BYOD.
    Chens financial plans don't add up.
    Chens is slowly turning into the worst thing for BlackBerry.

The silence we now are experiencing with BlackBerry right now is not good.
    A major product launch is under way and this guy is no where to be found.

Sad.
    Pathetic.
    Total waste.

I want a company I can by my next secure phone from.

That doesn't seem to be happening. He has to kiss major backside just to get one or two carriers to sell his outdated and oddball phones.
    The guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Sorry to rant but I'm a about done with Chen.

BlackBerry hates America!
    You have absolutely no clue what's taking place here with respect to BlackBerry and John Chen. The CEO Clearly Stated NO MORE internal leaks, NO MORE nothing, if anything is leaked or shown that is not suppose to be shown, there will be litigation.

The silence is good, why would they want to play there cards so the world can see? Keep the fire at bay then unleash it unto the world. You want to know what's going on? Strategy & Intelligence. Wait and see what will be announced at 2015 Mobile Congress. Its a few weeks away. Then all will be revealed. And those that desire a Full Touch will be pleased IMO.
    And I am not talking about the RIO - Z3, I am talking about a true Z30 upgrade (But with a Twist).

5.2 “Full HD display, MSM 8994 CPU 64bit, 4GB RAM, 3000mAh or 3300mAh battery.
    http://berryflow.com/2014/06/rumor-6...ar-q4-release/

And here's what I think the Z50 will look like.
    Z50 - Specs-Rumor
    5.2" IPS Display
    1920x1080 pixels @
    13 Mega Pixels camera
    4 GB of RAM
    Quad Core processor
    3,300-3600 mAh
    Physical Shortcut keys
    Last edited by ATI nsider; 02-19-15 at 12:59 AM.
    02-19-15 12:43 AM
    Possible BlackBerry Z50 and how it may look. Though I still believe the actual model will be based on that unique concept with the bottom physical keys with 2 rows hidden.

And the RIO with upgraded specs from the original Z3.
    02-19-15 01:08 AM
    I guess if I had a choice between leaks or getting rid of Chen and his litigation I'd choose the leaks.

The silence isn't some buildup to some great device. BlackBerry has nothing to say because it has nothing.

Chen is the harbinger of death. He's only here to see the company to its end. A sale, a breakup. He isn't a Steve Jobs. He isn't John Legere. He's an undertaker.

02-19-15 02:48 AM
    After briefly using a classic and pp, here I am now with the z30 back in my hands and I have to admit, for a 2 year old device, it's by far my favourite. I don't find the screen's resolution all that bad in comparison to the passport, in fact I can barely tell the difference. I love the deep blacks, I just wish it'd be more visible under the sun.

I had always had a thing for pkbs, even though I have never properly owned a pkb device and haven't kept one for longer than 1 month. But now in hindsight of using a passport and classic briefly, I've fallen in love all over again with blackberry's successful attempt at vkb.

So to sum it all up, I really wish BlackBerry will release a full touch first with the following improvements over the z30:
    -1080 display with better sunlight legibility (don't need any higher)
    -stereo speakers with both on bottom (for louder speaker phone convos, like the pp)
    - better processor and more ram (although my z30 zips through all the tasks I throw at it)

Now other than specs, an area BlackBerry should focus highly on is the design. If they BlackBerry make a stunning device with practicality, then people will be enticed to pick it up and touch it, then when they turn it on and use the OS they'll be even more impressed. I love the glass weave removable back cover and the curved screen which are already present on the z30, I do wish that BlackBerry will have a stainless steel frame similar to the passport's but protruding, so it'll protect the phone and absorb the drops.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 02:49 AM
    With the position BlackBerry is in at the moment, I think they should allow SOME tasteful leaks to slip through and go public. We, current blackberry customers, have no idea what is coming next. Those of us who are waiting for an all touch device are going to be extremely disappointed at MWC when we find out another pkb device is on the current agenda. A leak or two will at least help in that sense.
    Although Apple is also quite firm with their no leaks policy, their customers at least are confident a follow up to their device will be released in a year's time.
    Whereas we have no idea when, what, how and where, and if anything will be released.
    If there are leaks

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-19-15 03:00 AM
    With the position BlackBerry is in at the moment, I think they should allow SOME tasteful leaks to slip through and go public. We, current blackberry customers, have no idea what is coming next. Those of us who are waiting for an all touch device are going to be extremely disappointed at MWC when we find out another pkb device is on the current agenda. A leak or two will at least help in that sense.
    Although Apple is also quite firm with their no leaks policy, their customers at least are confident a follow up to their device will be released in a year's time.
    Whereas we have no idea when, what, how and where, and if anything will be released.
    If there are leaks

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Currently waiting for MWC to see if I'm switching platforms or not.
    02-19-15 01:23 PM
    He started off well but that trend seems to be disappearing

Posted via CB10
    Seems so doesn't it.

02-19-15 02:03 PM
    Yep. Currently waiting for MWC to see if I'm switching platforms or not.
    My Z30 will last me some time, but MWC will determine for me if BlackBerry continues to support high end full touch devices. If they continue with this PKB focus then I'll likely leave when it is time to refresh. It would be very sad if they start losing all these long time BlackBerry fans they converted to all touch with the Z line. After the dealing with being tossed aside as a week one PlayBook adopter, I won't give the company a chance for a third strike if they abandon high end all touch devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 06:07 PM
    I'm starting to think this is the best way for BlackBerry to release phones:

Once a year release two phones, one keyboard one touch. Every year change the touch from a large screen touch, to a small screen touch. With keyboards, make a small q10 like phone every other year, then a larger passport like device. Rotate the tool bar for people that don't like change.

Then every other year upgrade the slider and technology.

It would look like this:
    2016: large touch, small keyboard. *New Tech
    2017: small touch, large keyboard toolbelt, slider
    2018: large touch, small keyboard toolbelt *New Tech
    2019: small touch, large keyboard, slider
    2020: large touch, small keyboard toolbelt *New Tech
    2021: small touch, large keyboard, slider

And so on. (though I prefer that there be no tool belt.. perhaps a 4 row/3 row switch is better)
    02-19-15 07:58 PM
    ^ in my personal utopia it'd be:
    2015: high end full touch, high end pkb
    2016: same
    2017: same
    2018: same

Maybe, realistically speaking, it could be a yearly refresh of: high end full touch, mid end full touch, high end pkb and mid end pkb. No entry level phones, because mid-tier BlackBerry devices already have low end specs by today's standards.

Right now we have 7 devices with no successor/predecessor.
    02-19-15 09:02 PM
    I want either a full slider, as in a Torch 9810 replica (but with a nicer Bold 9900 keyboard and leather trim) or they may as well roll out a Z30 upgrade.

I have no use for a gimmick. They already have the passport for people who don't want a full luxurious keyboard.

If you can slide it out for one row you can slide it out for the whole 9 yards.

Will not happen but it is not as silly as it seems. Basically a Classic type chassis with a 1440 x 720 sliding screen.
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-19-15 11:08 PM
    Well I hope at MWC, JC releases the high end full touch and not the visa and nor the low end full touch.
    In fact I really hope he doesn't release the low end full touch at MWC, that'd add salt to the wound and make BlackBerry look like a bunch of morons. I mean why would you even think about releasing a low end phone at the biggest phone event all year where everyone else is showing off their latest high end devices.
    That'd be like going to a supercar show and seeing a hyundai hatchback sitting in the corner, you'd have to refrain from laughing!

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:30 AM
    What little hope I have in BlackBerry making good competitive phones is almost gone.

Chen is boring.
    Chen has no idea what BYOD.
    Chens financial plans don't add up.
    Chens is slowly turning into the worst thing for BlackBerry.

The silence we now are experiencing with BlackBerry right now is not good.
    A major product launch is under way and this guy is no where to be found.

Sad.
    Pathetic.
    Total waste.

I want a company I can by my next secure phone from.

That doesn't seem to be happening. He has to kiss major backside just to get one or two carriers to sell his outdated and oddball phones.
    The guy doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Sorry to rant but I'm a about done with Chen.

Come on trsbbs that negativity shouldn't in your blood.

Look at what JC did up to now, the locomotive is on its rails and is pumping steam.

My feeling is JC's silence is because something good and big is gonna happen.

The carriers were playing the wait and see game, now they like what they see and have it in stores.

He's probably having talks with the carrier that is going privileged with selling the next BlackBerry high end phone !
    02-21-15 08:18 AM
    Now that the "must do's" are done: protect the base (Classic and BES12, check), protect the positioning (own the keyboard market, check), gain attention with innovation (Passport, check), and stabilize the company expenses (check), -- it is time to go on the offensive back to the largest market and release an all touch flagship (note: 98pct of the market has an all touch).

Just like car companies have their flagship model, BlackBerry now has to put out one to establish the cadence. The new iphone is out. The HTC is coming. The Samsung is coming. In lockstep, BlackBerry has to bring it. They may not get a disproportionate share, but I am betting with the new OS, and the new design language, even if a BlackBerry device costs more than the Android counterpart, and slightly less than the iphone, BlackBerry can now really get the right reviews and be a contender.

Yes, Google holds the key to BlackBerry's success in App availability with Play Services, but we know with Snap v3, you basically have everything.

Come on Chen. Flagship touch next.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leejayh; 02-21-15 at 03:45 PM.
    02-21-15 03:08 PM
    Yes, agreed.

Time is ripe for an all-touch to satisfy purists and mass-market, but while they're at it, a companion model with a slider/hider/fold-out keyboard would be awesome, because that's what my Z10 is missing, quick access to stuff.

Everyone happy... :-)

  "Telstra, Telstra an der Wand, wer ist der schoenste im ganzen Land...?" Answer: Passport... ;-)  
    02-22-15 03:39 PM
    So, we're talking about two phones here !?
    02-22-15 03:55 PM
    Going with Chens business out look, it's probably going to be an updated Z3. The Z30 will be the last top dog all touch. Most likely some mid tear Kbp, better than the classic but not as high end as the passport.
    The consumers on the site would love a new all touch but we aren't the focused bunch here.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:50 AM
    I don't expect Blackberry to launch any new full touch device.
    02-23-15 10:09 AM
    I loved the Z30 so I would love to see another all touch device with up-to-date specs. But overall, I think BlackBerry would do better with a unique device vs. an all touch which has an already dominated market.
    02-23-15 11:33 AM
    The hideaway kb device should come first, but with both announced. If the hideaway kb gets released first it will generate more buzz and may get some all touch purists to try it, if they decide they don't like it, then they'll buy the fulltouch when it comes out after.

Seeing as the incoming fulltouch appears to be a mid to low end device it would likely set a bad precedent for the "slider" where people will be expecting crap specs. If they release the slider with crap specs.. well then their probably screwed anyway; but it seems more likely they will position it like the Passport - unique and powerful, high end device.

BB for Life
    02-24-15 06:48 PM
    I agree with the basic sentiment that Blackberry needs to round out the line-up with a strong all-touch offering.

I think the market has spoken that all-touch will be the device of the future and qwerty phones are just a generational hangover. Many have stated their preference for the Z30 and I think they should upgrade that form factor with Passport internals. That said, even if they do that, Blackberry runs the risk of becoming a "me-to" device only with an odd OS, from the perspective of the consumer.

Blackberry needs to have (or continue) an overarching strategy in conjunction with the hardware products and in my view, they need to come out with a super secure "vault-like" device based on a keyboard and an all-touch product as a part of a end-to-end solution. Heck, if they were smart, they'd produce this solution in semi-secret and make it only available to governments and government agencies. They could sell it with Apple-like margins and make Blackberry the "go to" company for secure communications.

If designed properly, what government would not adopt this solution ?
    02-25-15 12:34 PM
    Go Slider/Hider first. It's a unique device and more likely to stir the possums.

I do not quite understand why people (all-touch purists?) don't like it, the extra (always exposed) row might make for some really useful shortcuts. That's what's missing on the Z models, quick access to stuff. Still, if it operates in Z30 mode, there shouldn't be a prob, just an additional half inch or so. All-touch purists, I guess... :-)))

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    Keyboard fanatics are what brought BBRY down in the first place.... failure to innovate!! It's happening again, low spec devices with keyboards. The. 04% market share is proving this, if they were so great we would be leading.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the new classic but it's just not for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:45 AM
66 123