02-14-11 04:24 PM
51 123
tools
    @deRusett What your saying makes so much sense. I don't understand why RIM can't see that also.
    I'm pretty sure I've been saying it for half a year if not longer,

if ONLY RIM would hire me as a product manager eh! lol
    12-01-10 12:52 AM
    I'm pretty sure I've been saying it for half a year if not longer,
    if ONLY RIM would hire me as a product manager eh! lol
    I would like you as their product manager except we differ on one major issue, SurePress - you see no need for it and I LOVE it. I like to highlight something and then press for the confirmation; I do not like "pecking" on glass!
    PostMortem likes this.
    12-01-10 07:03 AM
    Someone's been copying amazinglygraceless's posts from a year ago!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    and i've given full credit to Ken. Check out the witty humour thread in OT.
    12-01-10 08:03 AM
    I would like you as their product manager except we differ on one major issue, SurePress - you see no need for it and I LOVE it. I like to highlight something and then press for the confirmation; I do not like "pecking" on glass!
    Oh I would leave surePress on the Storm, I am pretty sure if I was responsible for removing SurePress I'd find my Truck windows smashed in lol.

Ideally SurePress would be an optional function of the Storm, The screen would sit on 8-12 sensors for more accurate multi touch pressing, but the screen could also have the SurePress turned off and just be capacitive with a little bit of play
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-01-10 08:19 AM
    The problem with keeping surepress is that it increases the thickness of the device and if the majority would leave it switched off then you would be making your device look worse for nothing and beyond even just upping specs you have to think that they will be aiming to make their devices better looking and thinner to keep up with their rivals.
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-01-10 09:42 AM
    The problem with keeping surepress is that it increases the thickness of the device and if the majority would leave it switched off then you would be making your device look worse for nothing and beyond even just upping specs you have to think that they will be aiming to make their devices better looking and thinner to keep up with their rivals.

The thickness requirement of SurePress is only a few MM, and I really DO NOT think that the Majority would turn it off,
    The Majority would leave it on the default setting, and RIM should have SurePress enabled for the default setting as it is a unique feature that many storm users actually like.

if very much is a love hate product, but it makes RIM's Storm different than other touch devices is a very easy to feel and see way.
    12-01-10 11:07 AM
    They did update it with the 9700 and now the 9780 ... :s

12-05-10 03:44 AM
    They did update it with the 9700 and now the 9780 ... :s

I disagree. All the did was release a small blackberry with the name Bold on the back. The 9000 hasnt ever been updated. Wish it was
    12-05-10 04:34 AM
    I disagree. All the did was release a small blackberry with the name Bold on the back. The 9000 hasnt ever been updated. Wish it was
    Maybe rim will ! It would be nice.
    12-05-10 10:26 AM
    The thickness requirement of SurePress is only a few MM, and I really DO NOT think that the Majority would turn it off,
    The Majority would leave it on the default setting, and RIM should have SurePress enabled for the default setting as it is a unique feature that many storm users actually like.

if very much is a love hate product, but it makes RIM's Storm different than other touch devices is a very easy to feel and see way.
    Only a few mm may not seem like much, but these days that could be the difference between a device considered thick or not with the fickle buying public.

In any case, suretype is a feature that would require additional development time to support it (other devices like torch will obviously just be a normal touchscreen after all) and since it is not popular with everyone it could potentially reduce sales so including it in future hardware just seems unlikely as you are basically spending extra to reduce your market.
    12-05-10 10:50 AM
    The 9700 was a true update to the 9000 based on the feature-set, keyboard style and so on even if it is a bit smaller, but who can tell what we will get in the future, maybe we will eventually get next gen versions of both the 9000 and the 9700 size devices assuming Rim finds suitable ways to distinguish them from one another.
    12-05-10 10:56 AM
    I love my Bold 9000!!! If rim doesn't make a great 9000 type phone in 1 year when my contract is up Im getting an iphone 4! Might aswell go touch and get the best eh? Its the reason I got the bold9000 i like to get the best!!!

1 more year rim!!!
    12-11-10 01:16 AM
    I have had a 9000, then a 9700 and now the Torch. The day an updated, perhaps touchscreen, 9000 arrives the others are in the drawer. Heck... if they put a trackpad and OS 6 on it I would buy one today.
    12-11-10 07:00 AM
    The bulky @ssed 9000 is gone. Just let it go!
    Lmao... Made my night reading this

12-26-10 01:17 AM
    Only a few mm may not seem like much, but these days that could be the difference between a device considered thick or not with the fickle buying public.

In any case, suretype is a feature that would require additional development time to support it (other devices like torch will obviously just be a normal touchscreen after all) and since it is not popular with everyone it could potentially reduce sales so including it in future hardware just seems unlikely as you are basically spending extra to reduce your market.
    Sorry for forgetting about this thread,

RIM isn't in the Market to provide a single phone solution for everyone like Apple is, I really believe that SurePress is a technology that should be included on the Storm Series moving forward because it has a fan following, and those that like it will only have a 1 choice of touchscreen phone, why remove one of your unique selling features if you can't replace it with something else?
    Apple has a large app store, and can market themselves as the thinnest smartphone
    Android phones, compete on a quarterly upgrade cycle not a yearly one because of the number of manufacturers, so beating Android phone Y at launch just means you get a quarter worth of sales before the next Android phone comes along.
    SurePress would be that feature that sets them apart, and seeing as they wont be able to get sub 9mm to be thinner than the iPhone, if they can maintain the 12-14mm thickness with SurePress the phone still wont be "Bulky" to the fickle public.

AND RIM does have other phones in their line up, not making the 1 phone to rule them all, means they can risk a slight loss in sales of a device to mature a exclusive technology for the long term.
    12-26-10 06:25 AM
    I still don't understand the BIG deal about having such a THIN phone! Those couple mm's should not be a deal breaker. I was using my nephew's HTC Incredible on Christmas (he was so proud of it and I was curious) and it is definitely thinner than my S2, but so what? The S2 has a nice, solid "feel" to me, in addition, I always carry my phone in my pocket and I like the extra thickness, it just adds that extra "study" feeling to me. Sometimes the thinner phones feel like they could break so easily (which I know is not true; just a "mind game"). I guess I am strange in that I like to hold a "brick," not a "soda cracker."
    12-26-10 09:51 AM
    Has anyone heard of an updated version of the 9000?

12-28-10 06:57 PM
    RIM isn't in the Market to provide a single phone solution for everyone like Apple is, I really believe that SurePress is a technology that should be included on the Storm Series moving forward because it has a fan following, and those that like it will only have a 1 choice of touchscreen phone, why remove one of your unique selling features if you can't replace it with something else?
    I think you are overestimating how much of a fan following it really has, the odds are that beyond a small niche that is almost certainly matched or exceeded by those put off by surepress, the selling point for storm is that it is a blackberry with a relatively large touchscreen.

While Rim aren't trying to impose a one size fits all approach like Apple, they will be aware of factors like time to market, development costs and rate of returns that are all potentially worse with a surepress storm 3 than a normal touchscreen version.
    12-30-10 03:38 PM
    Looks like RIM listened :-). The improved 9000 is called Dakota, and I can hardly wait to buy one.
    01-23-11 11:13 AM
    Looks like RIM listened :-). The improved 9000 is called Dakota, and I can hardly wait to buy one.
    They listened with one ear and eye closed, one hand tied behind their back, and hopping on one leg; if that's listening, so be it! I am just so disappointed they don't have a LTE phone coming out with the Androids, especially now that it looks like we won't see one until 2012. I can't afford to buy one of these BB's and then wait until BB comes out with LTE/QNX and buy one of those; I will be "forced" to get to Android this Spring/Summer and MAYBE come back to BB in 2013.
    01-23-11 01:13 PM

At the mid to low end, a new curve is a no-brainer as those are a model that sells very well and also helps to draw people away from dumbphones too.
    The new Curve Touch is, IMO a low-end Monaco. Less on the specs, but still a touch screen with a trackpad. And both are nothing more than a Torch without a physical keyboard. Yes form factor and look slightly different, but still the same to me. Nothing but price points as far as I see.

With that, I think RIM is overdoing it.
    01-28-11 07:17 AM
    The new Curve Touch is, IMO a low-end Monaco. Less on the specs, but still a touch screen with a trackpad. And both are nothing more than a Torch without a physical keyboard. Yes form factor and look slightly different, but still the same to me. Nothing but price points as far as I see.

With that, I think RIM is overdoing it.
    They aren't trying to force people into choosing a form factor or a price point, it seems like an ideal approach for a company that hasn't got as an effective stranglehold on their customers as somebody like Apple who can afford their one size fits all approach.
    01-29-11 06:39 AM
    But the more devices they bring out, the more inter-house competition it's going to stir. You might as well release 10.5 billion new phones in a year, for a total of 5 different form factors... One size does not fit all, but one size per form factor is a better option.
    01-29-11 10:19 AM
    But the more devices they bring out, the more inter-house competition it's going to stir. You might as well release 10.5 billion new phones in a year, for a total of 5 different form factors... One size does not fit all, but one size per form factor is a better option.
    One size per form factor would rule out sensible additions to the range like that touch curve that was in the cdma release that allow them to hit a particular price point as well as form factor.

If you look at the way things are shaping up you only have the following on the way:

high end - Bold, Storm, Torch

lower end - Curve, Touch Curve

Their range is not actually that crowded if you consider things like Dakota/Montana as basically one device other than the network type.

We don't know if they intend updates to others like the Style or Pearl ranges which are more suited for particular niches than specifically being high or low end models.
    01-29-11 02:41 PM
    They listened with one ear and eye closed, one hand tied behind their back, and hopping on one leg; if that's listening, so be it! I am just so disappointed they don't have a LTE phone coming out with the Androids, especially now that it looks like we won't see one until 2012. I can't afford to buy one of these BB's and then wait until BB comes out with LTE/QNX and buy one of those; I will be "forced" to get to Android this Spring/Summer and MAYBE come back to BB in 2013.
    lol.. forced huh?

needing to have the newest feature just to have it or just cuz other phones have it, has become just like having a huge 4x4 that u rarely take off-road.. just a small-**** contest that's probably covering up some other insecurities...

instead try getting a car/phone that actually serves your needs and fits your budget, and not just for bragging rights on having the newest coolest feature (which will become old news in 6 months like all technology).. and if that's an Android phone, then u probly should have had one already...

oh and fyi, most of these 2011 LTE phones aren't even gonna be true 4G anyway and their just gonna be leap-frogged quickly in 2012/13... so you probly don't want those anyway cuz there will be something newer and faster very soon...

RIM did listen, and the 2011 lineup of BB's is the best we've ever seen but I think people are so juiced they're getting impatient... I'm a victim myself, only having my phone for a year and I feel like it's ancient, and looking at phones like the Torch and upcoming Monaco/Dakota I want a new phone now, but my 9700 still honestly kicks most phones asses and serves my purpose...
    Last edited by NinjaB; 02-14-11 at 02:04 PM.
    02-14-11 01:33 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD