02-27-15 01:39 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    Gimmie a LG G3 type phone with BlackBerry 10 and im in.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    01-23-15 12:37 AM
    I agree that BB10 works better beyond comparison on all BlackBerry phones with the current hardware specs.
    Think beyond the mobile phone though. It it the era of mobile computing; Blend is nearly a production grade software now. Think creating a presentation, using data from a spreadsheet or three and touching an image using a photo-editting software. All at the same time. Thing about everything you do on PC. On a BlackBerry via Blend. And, yes you still need to that phonecall while working on the above.

BlackBerry phone that will replace you PC, laptop, notebook, etc. This would justify the BlackBerry phones having hardware specs well above the "simple" phone OS requiments - the need to run multiple CPU and memory demanding applications.

If BlackBerry don't already have this planned - you are welcome. I am giving away the idea for free

Posted via CB10
    Shuswap likes this.
    01-24-15 05:22 AM
    BB10 spoiled me, there's absolutely no way I can look at an Android device anymore. They will have to rip my Q5 out of my hands with a vise grips.

Though I fully agree, it's about time they release a 16x9 Z10 or Z30 or both Refreshers with better specs. This alone will attract Android users to come to BB10 IMO.

Posted by Q5
    leglace1 likes this.
    01-24-15 08:58 AM
    I am sorry (especially because this is my first post), but I am expecting nothing!
    ...I bought my Passport last October. I cannot describe how much I love it. Everything about its design and OS make sense, no need for detail.

BB will probably, again, make the best devices with the best OS in 2015. But, without proper marketing, it will not mean much. BB Marketing should get a grip. I wonder why do they not take free lessons from this Blackberry Hater Guy video: "Can you handle this much innovation?"...
    In one of the interviews that Chen gave, he mentions that given the list of things Blackberry is doing their current priority is to let word of mouth, and success in enterprise (through BES 12), do the marketing for them. The interesting thing is that Blackberry is now making profit (40+% margin) on every #BB10 phone that it makes so they don't need to sell 10s of millions of phones! Blackberry only has about $3.1 Billion in cash - IMO, this is not enough of a reserve for them to spend until they get the enterprise software based services revenues up to about $1+ Billion/Quarter - it will be around mid of 2016 when we will see that run rate; by then 10.4+ will be out in the market and Blackberry's OS will look and feel quite different both in use and polish (more inline with what consumers would want).
    Trully likes this.
    01-24-15 10:46 AM
    Not sure if we will see another high spec phone from BlackBerry. I think Samsung is in the future.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    Don't lose faith, there will be a "BlackBerry Rio" which will have very similar specs to the Classic Buuut.

The "Visa / Victoria" is rumoured to have the same specs as the passport except with a 1440 x 2560 screen

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    01-24-15 12:06 PM
    Think beyond the mobile phone though. It it the era of mobile computing;

BlackBerry phone that will replace you PC, laptop, notebook, etc. This would justify the BlackBerry phones having hardware specs well above the "simple" phone OS requiments - the need to run multiple CPU and memory demanding applications.
    This is the perspective BlackBerry needs. I understand that the specs are good enough to do what we do now, but in tech, you can never stand still. You need to be preparing for the next advance, and a single device that does everything is surely the next advance.

On that score, I think Microsoft has a huge edge, and is close to capitalizing on it. If they win, I hope someone in Redmond still likes physical keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 12:51 PM
    I really hope that at the last minute, they decide to boost the cpu in the Rio to at least this year's cpu's.

It would be great to be "just" under the Passport CPU.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 04:30 PM
    they could have easy used the same specs as a passport and pretty much just put a slab of glass on the front. its not rocket science you know. I dont know why you think that they couldnt.
    Yes but this won't sell outside the loyal BlackBerry community. Software advances that enhance device functionally are the key. In the end Bill Gates was right. "It's all about software".

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:00 AM
    I think this infamous comment from Chen is the key:

I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen. The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks.

We have discussed before what he meant by "general purpose device." He didn't elaborate on it, but in my opinion he's talking about an all-touch device to compete with all the all-touch devices that are for sale at every price point. To be sure, he's free to change his mind about that, but as it stands I see it as an indication that he's backing BlackBerry away from that market. We have the Passport and the Classic, and I think we'll see some other kind of PKB phone, the Visa/Victoria. That's the niche, and I think he wants to fill it and try to grow it.
    I think this is an incredibly important quote that you have brought up here, although I am still very uncertain what we can expect from MWC2015.

To me, BlackBerry means hardware keyboards. I have never owned any full-touch BlackBerry phone and I probably never will as in the stated market I have too many better options.

So, I currently own a Passport but I want to go back to something more compact. I've been playing around with my old Bold 9790 for a while (what a tiny phone) and I have realized how much I love the toolbelt and general form factor of the legacy devices.

Therefore I would hope to see another BlackBerry with a full-qwery keyboard and toolbelt. I know this is very unlikely to expect in 2015 but you never know with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 02-26-15 at 05:28 PM.
    02-22-15 02:15 PM
    I agree that BB10 works better beyond comparison on all BlackBerry phones with the current hardware specs.
    Think beyond the mobile phone though. It it the era of mobile computing; Blend is nearly a production grade software now. Think creating a presentation, using data from a spreadsheet or three and touching an image using a photo-editting software. All at the same time. Thing about everything you do on PC. On a BlackBerry via Blend. And, yes you still need to that phonecall while working on the above.

If BlackBerry don't already have this planned - you are welcome. I am giving away the idea for free

Posted via CB10
    I but Blend on my laptop at home. Why is it so dawned slow?

Far from production grade. And it serves no use case when the phone is in my pocket
    Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 07:28 PM
    I think you are missing the point. Its not about numbers but the z10 is 2 years old and there is nothing to upgrade to. the z30 is already 1.5 years old basically as well. I dont think many of us are requesting a absolutely top of the line upgrade. They have NOTHING though in the all touch department and wont until May at the soonest for something we hope is worthy upgrade
    May is fast approaching. But 1.75 years without an a-touch upgrade is headscratching.

They're just bouncing back though. Things should come more steadily now I'd assume.
    02-23-15 04:24 AM
    1 week before MWC and NO leak of any new devices?! That's weird.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 04:29 AM
    True. Looks like Chen put a clamp down on the leaks.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    02-24-15 09:25 AM
    I think you are missing the point. Its not about numbers but the z10 is 2 years old and there is nothing to upgrade to. the z30 is already 1.5 years old basically as well. I dont think many of us are requesting a absolutely top of the line upgrade. They have NOTHING though in the all touch department and wont until May at the soonest for something we hope is worthy upgrade
    The problem is that there aren't enough people upgrading from z10/z30 to merit a new high-end all-touch model, each product will have to be profitable in its own right and have sufficient sales volumes to do that.

BB have offered the passport as a high spec option for people, it will not suit everyone, but at least some of those z10/z30 upgraders will have been fine with that.
    02-26-15 01:29 PM
    they could have easy used the same specs as a passport and pretty much just put a slab of glass on the front. its not rocket science you know. I dont know why you think that they couldnt.
    Such a device was rumoured to be coming and was subsequently cancelled, unfortunately if there isn't the demand from the carriers BB cannot afford to make a device just for a few people.

Incidentally, it is just a tad more complex making a mobile phone than slapping in some specs behind a screen and calling it a day, while there would be some crossover, an all-touch would have its own dev and testing demands and would be an entirely separate project from the passport and need enough sales in its own right to exist.
    ccbs likes this.
    02-26-15 01:34 PM
    Specs of the upcoming HTC One M9 are supposedly as follows:

Earlier reports stated that*the HTC One M9 will feature a 5-inch full HD display, an octa-core 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor, a 20.7-megapixel rear camera, a 13-megapixel front-facing camera, 3GB of RAM and Android Lollipop.

I would be all over this if only those last two words were BlackBerry 10.
    If he is implying that BlackBerry shouldn't be building all touch phones, then that is a silly way of dealing with the problem. Many of us aren't after an all touch device made by a chinese brand with Android on it.
    Both of the people in these quotes are overlooking the crucial point, there has to be enough people who would also actively choose a BB10 all-touch over an android with similar specs to make it worth BB making one and it seems like Chen does not believe that to be the case as seen by the passport getting launched whereas the all-touch that was being developed at the same time got cancelled.
    02-26-15 01:45 PM
    Both of the people in these quotes are overlooking the crucial point, there has to be enough people who would also actively choose a BB10 all-touch over an android with similar specs to make it worth BB making one and it seems like Chen does not believe that to be the case as seen by the passport getting launched whereas the all-touch that was being developed at the same time got cancelled.
    Finally someone who understands the business aspect. There are not enough demands for BBRY to develop a high end all slab phones.
    One suggestion, if all of you who really wants high end phone from BBRY can band together and make an order of 500K phones with the prices of $600 each, I think that will be enough of a revenue attachment for BBRY to develop the phone. So now, go find all the people needed to put in the group buy.
    02-26-15 02:40 PM
    The problem is that there aren't enough people upgrading from z10/z30 to merit a new high-end all-touch model, each product will have to be profitable in its own right and have sufficient sales volumes to do that.

BB have offered the passport as a high spec option for people, it will not suit everyone, but at least some of those z10/z30 upgraders will have been fine with that.
    I think they have PLENTY of people that would upgrade if they actually had something to upgrade to. instead, bb is content to just lose those customers to another brand altogether. well over 50% of bb10 sales are touch screen phones and I bet 40-45% are z10 sales. I would guess the majority of them would upgrade to a newer high end touch if it was out.
    02-26-15 03:46 PM
    I think they have PLENTY of people that would upgrade if they actually had something to upgrade to. instead, bb is content to just lose those customers to another brand altogether. well over 50% of bb10 sales are touch screen phones and I bet 40-45% are z10 sales. I would guess the majority of them would upgrade to a newer high end touch if it was out.
    I'm thinking that yes the majority of people want an improved all touch device.... But I'm also thinking that there is only a fraction of the Z10 & Z30 userbase that would upgrade to a device from BlackBerry... so I'm afraid that they lost many of us long before now.

I think a flagship all touch will get pretty much the same reception the Passport has gotten. But then if they keep expectations low and margins high, BlackBerry could make money on it.
    02-26-15 04:27 PM
    Have they sold more all touch BB10 device or PKB? All data we know from devs points to all touch. My own viewing of a BBOS to BB10 migration at work in the federal space which just started shows people want all touch over PKB. How well is the Passport selling now or the Classic?

BlackBerry has never released a high end all touch device. And their closest attempt, the Z30, was released when the company was for sale, was too close to the Z10 in specs, and they buried the launch in a market that couldn't even afford the device. So you have absolutely no way to say that a high end all touch device would not sell better than PKB devices because they have never made one, and the all touch devices they have made appear to have outsold PKB so far.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 04:52 PM
    Have they sold more all touch BB10 device or PKB? All data we know from devs points to all touch. My own viewing of a BBOS to BB10 migration at work in the federal space which just started shows people want all touch over PKB. How well is the Passport selling now or the Classic?

BlackBerry has never released a high end all touch device. And their closest attempt, the Z30, was released when the company was for sale, was too close to the Z10 in specs, and they buried the launch in a market that couldn't even afford the device. So you have absolutely no way to say that a high end all touch device would not sell better than PKB devices because they have never made one, and the all touch devices they have made appear to have outsold PKB so far.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there has ever been an official breakdown. But a guy that use to have access to CrackBerry App information once posted the breakdowns... and by far the touch devices with the leaders. While it hasn't sold well the Z10 was by far the most used device. But that was a long time ago, long before the Passport or the Classic were born so it's possible that might be changing. But I think they let that guy go after he did that... his name was Kevin somthing.
    02-26-15 05:00 PM
    While BB10 may have more alltouch devices sold, it's such a crowded market that it's a hard choice to make, if it comes out with bland specs and can't compete with flagships then the cost of bad publicity far outweighs the profits of sales. This is the dilemma Chen is faced with, if he wants to build a flagship quality all-touch it will have to be priced at 7-800, and at that price point would it sell? If he goes lower spec it has to be price competitive to other comparable spec mid range devices, which is likely not possible, or creates a very very slim margin. So with limited resources to commit to device development at this time, it seems to make more sense to do what BlackBerry does best and is known for, rather than just being a me-too. This is likely why they are opting for (hopefully) the Visa format- it's a full touch and it has a pkb, and with the pop-out keyboard there is very little reason for all-touch purists to say I don't want that; as opposed to a traditional slider which may slide open or otherwise interfere with use as a purely touchscreen phone

BB for Life
    02-26-15 06:14 PM
    While BB10 may have more alltouch devices sold, it's such a crowded market that it's a hard choice to make, if it comes out with bland specs and can't compete with flagships then the cost of bad publicity far outweighs the profits of sales. This is the dilemma Chen is faced with, if he wants to build a flagship quality all-touch it will have to be priced at 7-800, and at that price point would it sell? If he goes lower spec it has to be price competitive to other comparable spec mid range devices, which is likely not possible, or creates a very very slim margin. So with limited resources to commit to device development at this time, it seems to make more sense to do what BlackBerry does best and is known for, rather than just being a me-too. This is likely why they are opting for (hopefully) the Visa format- it's a full touch and it has a pkb, and with the pop-out keyboard there is very little reason for all-touch purists to say I don't want that; as opposed to a traditional slider which may slide open or otherwise interfere with use as a purely touchscreen phone

BB for Life
    If he can sell a Passport at $600, then an all touch with similar internals should be able to easily be made for this. PKB devices are more expensive to make than all touch because the manufacturing process is much more involved.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 06:26 PM
    Plenty of z10/z30 owners is somewhat of a misleading term though as sales of them have not been good enough that a large percentage of them upgrading would be sufficient, some of those that want an upgrade will also be happy to upgrade to a passport meaning that the market for an all-touch is further reduced.

The crucial point beyond the possible audience is also how much of an audience the carriers think such a device would have, if BB don't get commitments from enough of the main carrier groups and/or some of the american carriers then they are not going to go ahead with any hardware project.
    02-26-15 10:17 PM
    Finally someone who understands the business aspect. There are not enough demands for BBRY to develop a high end all slab phones.
    One suggestion, if all of you who really wants high end phone from BBRY can band together and make an order of 500K phones with the prices of $600 each, I think that will be enough of a revenue attachment for BBRY to develop the phone. So now, go find all the people needed to put in the group buy.
    Hrmmmmmm.....

Anyway. I think the issue is that the Rio, now renamed, has about the same specs as a z10. After two years I WANT a z10 UPGRADE. I don't want quad core. Just give me dual core CPU using a newer Krait design over 1.5 GHz, and 3 GB+ memory .

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 01:30 AM
101 ... 2345