The Z10 may be 2 years old but it runs smoother than ever and will be getting the official update within a month or so. Same with the Z30 which, having made the switch from the Z10, IS actually a very decent upgrade.

There are so many people that want a new device every year (or less) and I don't quite understand it. If you are not "requesting a[n] absolutely top of the line upgrade", then what exactly do you want? Between the Z10 and the Z30, I don't see what else you could want other than top of the line specs. Which would be wasted right now because they are both still completely capable devices.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Every time there is an update to the OS people go on and on about how it makes the old devices better than the current offerings from competitors. That simply isn't the case. The Z10 and Z30 are outdated and in need of hardware upgrades.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    01-20-15 09:45 PM
    I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen. The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks.
    If he is implying that BlackBerry shouldn't be building all touch phones, then that is a silly way of dealing with the problem. Many of us aren't after an all touch device made by a chinese brand with Android on it.
    01-21-15 01:02 AM
    Please...for the love of all that's good and holy...never say Storm.
    Loved my Storm 2. Miss surepress.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 01:24 AM
    I think that the non disclosure agreement with Samsung basically halted all new devices after the classic. The next device decision will some from Samsung.

I hope they do a slider. Or maybe a dual boot slider.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    como?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 01:25 AM
    Hello,
    In my opinion it is much more important for BlackBerry to put all their efforts in perfecting the OS rather than making new devices every year. Have no problem with my Z10 and I don't see lots of devices been much faster or better in any way. The z10 and Z30 at present time can still keep up and not just that. They do a lot of things better than most devices.
    Regards

Z10/STL100-3 RFK121LW/10.2.1.3062
    01-21-15 02:46 AM
    Hello,
    In my opinion it is much more important for BlackBerry to put all their efforts in perfecting the OS rather than making new devices every year. Have no problem with my Z10 and I don't see lots of devices been much faster or better in any way. The z10 and Z30 at present time can still keep up and not just that. They do a lot of things better than most devices.
    Regards

Z10/STL100-3 RFK121LW/10.2.1.3062
    Both are equally important. The Z10 and Z30 are outdated and need to be updated. We're not talking about a new device every month. They're two years old.

If OS updates were coming every two years that would be equally ridiculous.

01-21-15 03:12 AM
    Both are equally important. The Z10 and Z30 are outdated and need to be updated. We're not talking about a new device every month. They're two years old.

If OS updates were coming every two years that would be equally ridiculous.

I wonder why they 'need to be updated'. As 'NRB' said, they're still doing a great job and indeed even better than some other 'updated' phones. These devices may be 2 years old, but they sure still run smooth. Especially with OS 10.3.1 in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 on my white Q10
    01-21-15 04:06 AM
    If he is implying that BlackBerry shouldn't be building all touch phones, then that is a silly way of dealing with the problem. Many of us aren't after an all touch device made by a chinese brand with Android on it.
    I don't know if that's what he meant, but it kinda looks that way.

Maybe the right question to ask is: In what sense are the Passport and Classic not "general purpose" devices? We know he's willing to build those.
    01-21-15 07:19 AM
    I don't know if that's what he meant, but it kinda looks that way.

Maybe the right question to ask is: In what sense are the Passport and Classic not "general purpose" devices? We know he's willing to build those.
    If Chen did mean that, it would be smart for him to avoid saying this. If he keeps producing highly spec'd PKB devices with excellent form factors, I would not be surprised touch screen users will try it. Why? Because there is no competition and there is a compelling use for it.

I have a Z30 and I am extremely happy. I could use this device for the next 2 years easily. Thanks to the software updates and the fact that they seem to improve the performance with each update rather than slow it down like other OS's experience after a year or so. However, I am not using the Z30 because it is a full Touch screen device. I use it because of its performance combined with its specs. The large screen had a play in it as well.

If they made a slick full screen device that had a sliding keyboard without adding much bulk, I would not push it away either. Blackberry can only make so many Classic form type devices. They need to mix it up. I do have to hand it to BlackBerry. They do very well in R&D when it comes to hardware design. Specs are another story. But BB10's roots with QNX saves it.

Anyway, I am still confident they will make at least a couple more dedicated touch screen devices. But not sure any of them will be flagship. However, I am confident that BlackBerry will sway me to a device with a hardware keyboard, whether the keyboard is hidden or exposed. If they can sway us, it is hopeful they can do the same with users from other OS'S. Otherwise, what compelling reason is there to come back for the majority of users. Most of us that left Android or Apple were already BlackBerry users in the past.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leglace1; 01-21-15 at 08:38 AM.
    01-21-15 08:18 AM
    Specs of the upcoming HTC One M9 are supposedly as follows:

Earlier reports stated that*the HTC One M9 will feature a 5-inch full HD display, an octa-core 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor, a 20.7-megapixel rear camera, a 13-megapixel front-facing camera, 3GB of RAM and Android Lollipop.

I would be all over this if only those last two words were BlackBerry 10.
    mode_m likes this.
    01-21-15 10:00 AM
    I wonder why they 'need to be updated'. As 'NRB' said, they're still doing a great job and indeed even better than some other 'updated' phones. These devices may be 2 years old, but they sure still run smooth. Especially with OS 10.3.1 in my opinion.

If you try BB10 on the Passport you will see that it performs a lot better on that device than on the Z10. The reason for this is the updated specs. It might not be that everyone wants their phone to operate as smoothly and as fast as possible but there are many on this forum including myself who would like the OS performance found on the Passport on a device with a 16:9 screen. Even if you compare the speed at which the camera on the Z30 takes pictures versus the Z10, it's truly night and day.
    01-21-15 10:27 AM
    Specs of the upcoming HTC One M9 are supposedly as follows:

Earlier reports stated that*the HTC One M9 will feature a 5-inch full HD display, an octa-core 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor, a 20.7-megapixel rear camera, a 13-megapixel front-facing camera, 3GB of RAM and Android Lollipop.

I would be all over this if only those last two words were BlackBerry 10.
    Wow. Pretty impressive specs. I have to ask, how do you feel these specs would improve your current experience. Other than the ram, none of that would do anything for me. 20 mp camera means little if the camera does not focus well. Octa core would not fix anything other than if I downloaded 3d games, but even there, my Z30 is handling the 2 games I did try. I am not a gamer though.

The Passport Specs would be a big enough jump for me at this point. Never mind what these Android devices are insanely upgrading to.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 10:38 AM
    More so just want an updated Z30. Better camera, more RAM, slightly better screen. A faster processor isn't necessary but if it helps the focus speed of the camera I'm all for it. I'm happy with my Z30 for now but I have an upgrade coming up in 6 months. It would just be nice to have something similar to upgrade to.
    01-21-15 10:41 AM
    Loved my Storm 2. Miss surepress.

Posted via CB10
    Well, if it's crazy confession time, I miss my half-qwerty. Viva la Pearl Flip!

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    01-21-15 10:47 AM
    More so just want an updated Z30. Better camera, more RAM, slightly better screen. A faster processor isn't necessary but if it helps the focus speed of the camera I'm all for it. I'm happy with my Z30 for now but I have an upgrade coming up in 6 months. It would just be nice to have something similar to upgrade to.
    I am with you. I would like optical image stabilization and a faster focus. I really do not need more than 8mp, but 13 mp would be OK. Without a real zoom lens, my BlackBerry will never replace a SLR when I travel. Almost all that we both ask seem to be on the Passport already. Of course I will not reject a Qualcomm 810 processor, but I won't demand one neither since it will not change my experience.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 11:20 AM

Because they are old and outdated. Neither phone has a full HD screen. The camera on both is no where near the current specs. Processor and memory aren't there either. Neither device has any of the cool tech that the competition have.

The fanaticals can continue to claim those devices are as good as the competitors' offerings but they aren't. They weren't at the time they were launched.

And yes, I know. As usual the latest software update is gold and makes the devices even more perfect than they already are.

Come on. BlackBerry can't compete if what it's offering is two year old devices with nothing new even in the horizon.

Last edited by crazigee; 01-21-15 at 11:59 PM.
    01-21-15 06:19 PM
    Because they are old and outdated. Neither phone has a full HD screen. The camera on both is no where near the current specs. Processor and memory aren't there either. Neither device has any of the cool tech that the competition have.

The fanaticals can continue to claim those devices are as good as the competitors' offerings but they aren't. They weren't at the time they were launched.

And yes, I know. As usual the latest software update is gold and makes the devices even more perfect than they already are.

Come on. BlackBerry can't compete if what it's offering is two year old devices with nothing new even in the horizon.

These are valid points. It does need to be recognized however, that BlackBerry has "cracked down on leaks" and does not want the world and competition to know what it's up to, or it will be copied/bashed by the time it launches. Apple doesn't tell anyone about its new phone in development, people just know to expect one. We have pretty good indication that a new device or two are coming.

BB for Life
    01-22-15 08:39 AM
    I'm kind of in the same situation as a few here. I love my Z10 but its starting to slow down a bit and I'm do for my upgrade next month. But I'm left wondering what to upgrade to.

I like the specs and features of the passport, but don't really need or want a physical keyboard and its a little wider than I would like. (I like using a holster as I work in a job that uses a duty belt and a duty holster is really nice for my phone and finding one that would work with a passport is nigh on impossible)

As already mentioned, the Z30 is already starting to get outdated and isn't that big a jump spec wise over my Z10.

I would love to see another all touch device with passport like specs and z10/z30 size announced. I would wait the 6 months for something to come out if I knew it was in the works. If not, I'll start browsing the android phones, much as I want to stay with blackberry.
    01-22-15 10:31 AM
    The Classic has the same specs as the Z10 and I don't hear anybody complaining about performance.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 03:02 PM
    The Classic has the same specs as the Z10 and I don't hear anybody complaining about performance.

Posted via CB10
    I think it has been widely accepted that the Classic is a low spec phone with the sole intent on of converting the last BBOS holdouts. It's specs are at the bottom of the range.

01-22-15 03:28 PM
    Not sure if we will see another high spec phone from BlackBerry. I think Samsung is in the future.

But what I'd love in a new phone would be 802.11ac wifi. Really good camera. A screen with the clarity of at least a Z10. And a nuclear power plant of a battery.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    01-22-15 03:32 PM
    We have iPhone and Samsung to blame. They need to introduce a new phone every year to generate more profits. Make a few adjustments, market the new phone to death, and have your blind followers spend more money. I have both the Passport and the Classic. These phones are fantastic, they are my "sedan" and "sports" phones that do everything I need to do. I, for one, have no interest in seeing what's coming out in 2015. I'll keep these two phones for quite some time.

 Passport Rocks 
    leglace1 likes this.
    01-22-15 05:52 PM
    We have iPhone and Samsung to blame. They need to introduce a new phone every year to generate more profits. Make a few adjustments, market the new phone to death, and have your blind followers spend more money. I have both the Passport and the Classic. These phones are fantastic, they are my "sedan" and "sports" phones that do everything I need to do. I, for one, have no interest in seeing what's coming out in 2015. I'll keep these two phones for quite some time.

 Passport Rocks 
    So the BlackBerry fanaticals that buy any phone BlackBerry come out with are blind followers? LMAO.

01-22-15 06:07 PM
    Not blind followers. The Passport is the best phone on the market (for my needs). The classic is a modern trip through memory lane. I'll switch sim cards in each phone depending on the situation. The Classic feels good in my hand and is easier to carry. I also have two kids that like BlackBerry phones and if one of their phones is damaged, they get my hand-me-down. It keeps my monthly charges with Bell reduced by over $500 per year since the phones are purchased unlocked. I assume this answers your comment.

 Passport Rocks 
    leejayh likes this.
    01-22-15 06:39 PM
    Not blind followers. The Passport is the best phone on the market (for my needs). The classic is a modern trip through memory lane. I'll switch sim cards in each phone depending on the situation. The Classic feels good in my hand and is easier to carry. I also have two kids that like BlackBerry phones and if one of their phones is damaged, they get my hand-me-down. It keeps my monthly charges with Bell reduced by over $500 per year since the phones are purchased unlocked. I assume this answers your comment.

 Passport Rocks 
    It says to me that maybe you aren't a blind follower. But to suggest that BlackBerry is the only device manufacturer without blind followers is ridiculous.

Last edited by crazigee; 01-23-15 at 09:52 AM.
    01-22-15 07:38 PM
101 12345