02-27-15 01:39 AM
101 1234 ...
tools
    I really do feel like the tech reviewers have ruined how we look at phones. They cover all the bases, normally, but they put way too much weight on benchmarks and specs, even though they keep informing us that they really do not mean much in real use.
    They are the cause that got Android devices involved in a spec war. It leaves the consumer with a feeling of inadequate holding their device within months after you buy it because there is a 8k screen instead of a 4k screen.
    Thankfully Apple does not suffer from this. I left Android for Blackberry to escape that as well, especially since a lot of OS upgrades were not consistently supported for every device. But I am getting concerned that this mentality is making its way to Crack berry. Again, I blame Tech reviewers and Android device makers. I can shield my ears just fine with my Z30 and my wife's Q10 and be happy knowing that BlackBerry is very good at supporting devices for many years. When the time is right, I am sure I will upgrade. I just wanted to get off this 1-2 year upgrade habit that carriers have shackled us with like it's a drug habit.

Here is how I look at it. I want a device with very long battery life, check. I want a rich display, check. I want a fast UI experience as lag free as possible, check. I want a good camera with handy modes for challenging situations, almost check. I need good call quality and great speakers, check. That's all I ask for. If they accomplish these things with a 512 mb processor, what do I care if it does what I ask. I could always use more battery life. I just need to balance that with the additional weight. At some point, a phone gets too heavy.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leglace1; 01-19-15 at 01:07 PM.
    01-19-15 12:54 PM
    why cant you put a "huge honking battery" in a slab? Is bb10 that badly designed that battery life all the sudden is crap when you put a full glass front on the device? Sorry that just isnt a good excuse. Plenty of slab phones get great life with 3000+ mah batteries. my oneplus one gets battery life pretty close most peoples passport and its only 3100 mah. Its got the same processor as the passport as well which is about 2 generations behind as it is
    They will put a massive battery in a slab. That device however will be an hybrid full touch and slider.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:56 PM
    Personally I think BlackBerry Is reevaluating the hardware market and their approach.

This year BlackBerry sold only 7m out of their targeted 10m

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:23 PM
    Personally I think BlackBerry Is reevaluating the hardware market and their approach.

This year BlackBerry sold only 7m out of their targeted 10m

Posted via CB10
    Chen will continue to put out hardware if he thinks that he will reach 10 million for the next year.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:31 PM
    Chen will continue to put out hardware if he thinks that he will reach 10 million for the next year.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:34 PM
    I am sorry (especially because this is my first post), but I am expecting nothing!

As a Blackberry Fanatic, (non-Canadian, but living in Canada and loving it) I feel frustrated...Not because of the devices (they are the best of the best), but because of their marketing. They are designed to attract only one group of people: The ones who already love BB.

I bought my Passport last October. I cannot describe how much I love it. Everything about its design and OS make sense, no need for detail.

When I first bought it, I have also enjoyed the attention I was getting from so many people: Next table's customers in an Italian Restaurant, the people at the Bank, UBC Student in the bus, the older gentleman sitting next to me in the Coffee Shop, etc.... All asking the same question: "Wow... Is this the new blackberry? Cool. My next phone!"

However, after 4 months, hearing exactly the same questions is frustrating, because, this means, Blackberry is doing nothing for marketing their devices. Yesterday, I was at the Bank, and the guys working there were again asking if this was "a" new BB (not "the"!). This is a tragedy! I mean, come on guys, these are the banking people, portfolio managers, advisors, etc. Shouldn't they somehow know about it already?

BB will probably, again, make the best devices with the best OS in 2015. But, without proper marketing, it will not mean much. BB Marketing should get a grip. I wonder why do they not take free lessons from this Blackberry Hater Guy video: "Can you handle this much innovation?"

Therefore, my answer is, I am not expecting anything, and I am really so sorry for this.
    boltz82, Gallofa and BCLoco like this.
    01-19-15 03:50 PM
    My thoughts are that as long as Chen can maintain profitability in hardware, he will stay in it for the near future. Think of how badly BlackBerry's reputation has been tarnished because it fell so far behind in mobile. How do you think they will be able to convince large institutions that BES is for them if they weren't able to maintain relevance in the mobile industry. Yes their competition doesn't offer phones (with a few exceptions) but it would be a damning situation.

We have reached a point in mobile technology that companies will be able to survive in niche markets, while the Apples and Samsungs of the world cater to the masses. If BlackBerry can manage to take a premium stance that offers unique benefits, with little sacrifice, they will be able to continue making phones.

BB for Life
    01-19-15 11:04 PM
    To be honest I don't expect much from BlackBerry in 2015 on new phones. Would have been great for them to have a Z10 upgrade in the pipeline at some point, but doubt there will be. See them concentrating on purely physical keyboard phones for the corporate market.

Posted via CB10
    This is the problem with closing up the leaks regarding future devices, if there is indeed something spectacular on the horizon, half the customers who picked up the Z10 as soon as it was available will have jumped ship by the time anything concrete comes out about it. I am very tired of the "Z30 is a suitable upgrade" argument, no one who enjoys their money is going to buy a year and half old Z30 to replace their 2 year old Z10 if there is any slim glimmer of hope of an all touch high end in the near future. On the other hand, if Chen would come out and say that there wont be anymore high end all touches in the future, I guarantee he could sell a bunch of Z30's in a hurry.

Posted via CB10
    mode_m likes this.
    01-20-15 02:25 AM
    Im not in mood to upgrade my z10. But excited to see a new device in new year. A full touch device with amoled screen and with all specs of BlackBerry passport would be great.

Bihari singh via his lovely z10
    01-20-15 02:35 AM
    I am sorry (especially because this is my first post), but I am expecting nothing!

As a Blackberry Fanatic, (non-Canadian, but living in Canada and loving it) I feel frustrated...Not because of the devices (they are the best of the best), but because of their marketing. They are designed to attract only one group of people: The ones who already love BB.

I bought my Passport last October. I cannot describe how much I love it. Everything about its design and OS make sense, no need for detail.

When I first bought it, I have also enjoyed the attention I was getting from so many people: Next table's customers in an Italian Restaurant, the people at the Bank, UBC Student in the bus, the older gentleman sitting next to me in the Coffee Shop, etc.... All asking the same question: "Wow... Is this the new blackberry? Cool. My next phone!"

However, after 4 months, hearing exactly the same questions is frustrating, because, this means, Blackberry is doing nothing for marketing their devices. Yesterday, I was at the Bank, and the guys working there were again asking if this was "a" new BB (not "the"!). This is a tragedy! I mean, come on guys, these are the banking people, portfolio managers, advisors, etc. Shouldn't they somehow know about it already?

BB will probably, again, make the best devices with the best OS in 2015. But, without proper marketing, it will not mean much. BB Marketing should get a grip. I wonder why do they not take free lessons from this Blackberry Hater Guy video: "Can you handle this much innovation?"

Therefore, my answer is, I am not expecting anything, and I am really so sorry for this.
    Hi MRTatCB,

Welcome to CB!

Like the app situation, marketing situation of BBRY is discussed to death here.

They are doing marketing for devices but in a very very limited conservative way. For some, that may not be adequate, especially if comparison is done versus competitors. But the fact remains that BBRY is not in a position to spend like their competitors. They are stabilizing a sinking ship and they have their priorities lined up.

On devices, against a target, they manufacture in limited quantities and sell so as not to trap in stockpile which is worst nightmare than not expanding their user base. May be next quarter results will explain the success rate, if at all any.
    01-20-15 03:43 AM
    Ouch! Surely not?? 10.3.1 would be great on your Z30!!

Posted by Passport, Blackberry's Beast!
    I love it on my Z30! But in two years time???
    niss63 likes this.
    01-20-15 08:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    The next couple of months will be the deciding factor.... Don't think Classic sales will be very much on this quarter's earnings report. But March, April and May will tell them if there is a sustainable niche or not.

But I think that based on revenue and margins, maybe they don't have to reach 10 million. Based on Passport and Classic margins they could probably get by with fewer overall devices - if they can keep cost down. But that does mean that they need sales of devices without having to do any special pricing or promotions.
    01-20-15 08:29 AM
    they could have easy used the same specs as a passport and pretty much just put a slab of glass on the front. its not rocket science you know. I dont know why you think that they couldnt.
    Exactly!!! If they had did that I would have been the happiest person ever. Same internals as the passport but have a 16:9 ratio and full touch....
    01-20-15 10:19 AM
    It could be battery life don't you think - I mean having the Passport's specs and putting into a smaller 16x9 touch device with a smaller battery would surely affect the battery life then everyone will be complaining about how bad the battery life will be. It's not rocket science - when you look at the back of the PP you see a huge honking battery which is probably why it has such great battery life.
    Who said that the full touch would have a smaller battery....if it was 5.5 inches big they have put the same battery.
    01-20-15 10:21 AM
    They will put a massive battery in a slab. That device however will be an hybrid full touch and slider.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!!! I cannot wait for the VIsa or Victoria phone.
    01-20-15 10:24 AM
    I think this infamous comment from Chen is the key:

I'm not going to build a general purpose device, simply because it is a 5-inch touchscreen. The Chinese can build one for 75 bucks, I can't get enough parts together for 75 bucks.

We have discussed before what he meant by "general purpose device." He didn't elaborate on it, but in my opinion he's talking about an all-touch device to compete with all the all-touch devices that are for sale at every price point. To be sure, he's free to change his mind about that, but as it stands I see it as an indication that he's backing BlackBerry away from that market. We have the Passport and the Classic, and I think we'll see some other kind of PKB phone, the Visa/Victoria. That's the niche, and I think he wants to fill it and try to grow it.
    01-20-15 10:55 AM
    I think that the non disclosure agreement with Samsung basically halted all new devices after the classic. The next device decision will some from Samsung.

I hope they do a slider. Or maybe a dual boot slider.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    01-20-15 11:01 AM
    I disagree, while my OnePlus has great battery life it falls considerably short of my Passport.
    01-20-15 11:16 AM
    I think that the non disclosure agreement with Samsung basically halted all new devices after the classic. The next device decision will some from Samsung.

I hope they do a slider. Or maybe a dual boot slider.
    What did I miss.....?

From what I have heard... Samsung want to better integrate KNOX with BES and Chen wants the same... as it will let him exit the hardware business and keep BES license.
    01-20-15 04:14 PM
    An all-touch flagship device.
    Or a switch to an Android phone over the next two years/
    "switch to an Android phone" ???

I thought threats, swearing and bad words were not allowed on this forum
    01-20-15 04:24 PM
    An all-touch flagship device.
    Or a switch to an Android phone over the next two years/
    What the lady said.
    01-20-15 04:54 PM
    Please...for the love of all that's good and holy...never say Storm.
    Shuswap likes this.
    01-20-15 05:06 PM
    Please...for the love of all that's good and holy...never say Storm.
    I loved my Storm ;-)
    dranskeey likes this.
    01-20-15 05:17 PM
    It seems that at least some in the media and within BlackBerry associate physical keyboards and business smartphones. I'm not sure that the equation holds anymore. Many of my colleagues have all-touch work phones.

It would be good for BlackBerry to do some research to ascertain whether all-touch is part of their enterprise niche, and what characteristics business users want in their phones. Of course, such a study might not result in the kind of flagship handset many here hope to see.
    01-20-15 07:18 PM
    I really would enjoy brand new torch with removable battery. Nothing more, nothing less

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 08:06 PM
101 1234 ...