02-27-15 01:39 AM
101 123 ...
tools
    So the news has gone pretty quiet in terms of new handsets in 2015. Yes, there's been the whisperings of Visa/Victoria and Rio - but Rio's turned out to be a low end, and Visa/Victoria are still a bit of a mystery.

It seems Chen is doing a great job of keeping things secret - even managing to keep the curved design Passport leak-free until it's announcement.

Looks like we may have to wait until MWC to hear the future of BlackBerry's device roadmap this year, assuming that is the time they reveal such details (which likely is the case).

So the question is, what are you expecting?
    01-18-15 08:39 PM
    An all-touch flagship device.
    Or a switch to an Android phone over the next two years/
    01-18-15 08:43 PM
    I personally do not understand what is the rush for new devices. As we all know that BlackBerry is not a numbers company is no race to be the best device manufacturer. In addition, the loyalist are keeping them afloat right now in that department.

Buggling - why use the absence of an 'all-touch flagship' to prompt your move to Android? Why not just move to an Android now?

I am pretty sure once that 'All-touch' beast most you are awaiting will be superseded by another unknown device. Satisfaction is a B!tch!! Well, I cannot tell anyone what to do with their wants.

So far, I have loved every BlackBerry device manufactured. I have a Passport and even considering the Classic. The Rio is not out yet and may even want one.
    01-18-15 08:53 PM
    Im just as curious as everyone else as to what new device we will see from BlackBerry. Another thing I'm curious about is why people continue to start these same threads about the same topic. It's been speculated ad nauseum. All the likely possibilities have been discussed. Of course people are free to start these threads if they wish but I just don't see the point.

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle likes this.
    01-18-15 09:29 PM
    Ouch! Surely not?? 10.3.1 would be great on your Z30!!

Posted by Passport, Blackberry's Beast!
    01-18-15 10:33 PM
    I would rather they perfect them by taking their time! Passport 2 Classic 2 Z100 etc

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    01-18-15 10:48 PM
    I personally do not understand what is the rush for new devices. As we all know that BlackBerry is not a numbers company is no race to be the best device manufacturer. In addition, the loyalist are keeping them afloat right now in that department.

Buggling - why use the absence of an 'all-touch flagship' to prompt your move to Android? Why not just move to an Android now?

I am pretty sure once that 'All-touch' beast most you are awaiting will be superseded by another unknown device. Satisfaction is a B!tch!! Well, I cannot tell anyone what to do with their wants.

So far, I have loved every BlackBerry device manufactured. I have a Passport and even considering the Classic. The Rio is not out yet and may even want one.
    I think you are missing the point. Its not about numbers but the z10 is 2 years old and there is nothing to upgrade to. the z30 is already 1.5 years old basically as well. I dont think many of us are requesting a absolutely top of the line upgrade. They have NOTHING though in the all touch department and wont until May at the soonest for something we hope is worthy upgrade
    01-18-15 10:56 PM
    I think you are missing the point. Its not about numbers but the z10 is 2 years old and there is nothing to upgrade to. the z30 is already 1.5 years old basically as well. I dont think many of us are requesting a absolutely top of the line upgrade. They have NOTHING though in the all touch department and wont until May at the soonest for something we hope is worthy upgrade
    The Z10 may be 2 years old but it runs smoother than ever and will be getting the official update within a month or so. Same with the Z30 which, having made the switch from the Z10, IS actually a very decent upgrade.

There are so many people that want a new device every year (or less) and I don't quite understand it. If you are not "requesting a[n] absolutely top of the line upgrade", then what exactly do you want? Between the Z10 and the Z30, I don't see what else you could want other than top of the line specs. Which would be wasted right now because they are both still completely capable devices.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-18-15 11:11 PM
    I personally use a Q10, but I understand why people want a full touch upgrade for Z10 and Z30 users. Frankly, it's bad business to not provide an upgrade for customers. For a lot of people, the 1x1 aspect ratio of the Q10, Passport and Classic doesn't work for them; which is fair since it is a bizarre screen shape. I really hope BlackBerry offers a 16x9 device with decent-or-better specs in the near future.

Envoy par mon Z10
    01-18-15 11:24 PM
    The Z10 may be 2 years old but it runs smoother than ever and will be getting the official update within a month or so. Same with the Z30 which, having made the switch from the Z10, IS actually a very decent upgrade.

There are so many people that want a new device every year (or less) and I don't quite understand it. If you are not "requesting a[n] absolutely top of the line upgrade", then what exactly do you want? Between the Z10 and the Z30, I don't see what else you could want other than top of the line specs. Which would be wasted right now because they are both still completely capable devices.

They might be capable, but are going to be reaching the end of their lives soon as far as upgrades are concerned, considering how long they have been out and around. Also because of their age, for those who use apps and like apps many of the newer ones won't be able to run on them as well
    LuvULongTime and tanzarian like this.
    01-18-15 11:46 PM

the z30 is has a ton of room before being top of the line. Screen res, battery, processor and ram can all be improved and yet still not be top of the line.

Being capable has nothing to do with it. The z3 is a capable device is it not? would you be happy to use that over the z30 though? the q5 is a capable device but would you use that over the passport or classic?
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    01-18-15 11:52 PM
    They might be capable, but are going to be reaching the end of their lives soon as far as upgrades are concerned, considering how long they have been out and around. Also because of their age, for those who use apps and like apps many of the newer ones won't be able to run on them as well
    And, for those people, the upgrades should arrive right on schedule. BlackBerry isn't stupid. It doesn't make sense to pump out the exact same phone and then update the hardware every 6 months. They now have all of their bases covered in the field of devices and will begin upgrading them according to demand. With the Passport and Classic just launched, I think the 'Touch' fans are going to be looked after next.
    Some advice from my great grandmother: "When you seem to have gotten your panties in a bunch, just take them off. Going Commando feels better anyway."

01-18-15 11:53 PM
    The Z3 was never meant as an 'upgrade' type device. Neither is the Q5. Different devices for different needs.
    The Z30 is still a very solid device and any new all-touch device would not (and has not - just look at other manufacturers) have been able to be released before now. Any upgrades would have been very minor and not worth it for BlackBerry to do, considering the numbers that their devices sell.
    Patience is a virtue. See quote above. ^

StormieTwo likes this.
    01-18-15 11:58 PM
    The Z3 was never meant as an 'upgrade' type device. Neither is the Q5. Different devices for different needs.
    The Z30 is still a very solid device and any new all-touch device would not (and has not - just look at other manufacturers) have been able to be released before now. Any upgrades would have been very minor and not worth it for BlackBerry to do, considering the numbers that their devices sell.
    Patience is a virtue. See quote above. ^

they could have easy used the same specs as a passport and pretty much just put a slab of glass on the front. its not rocket science you know. I dont know why you think that they couldnt.
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    01-19-15 12:07 AM
    Educated guess would be and mid to low range all touch ( Manitoba )... Chen has already teased a Passport 2 type phone... and finally this year would expect to see a unique slider of some sort... This would be in keeping with what rumours and leaks that have shown up recently.. As BB heads down the Enterprise road and abandons the consumer market this would make the most sense...
    acovey likes this.
    01-19-15 12:15 AM
    they could have easy used the same specs as a passport and pretty much just put a slab of glass on the front. its not rocket science you know. I dont know why you think that they couldnt.
    I didn't say that they couldn't, I said they shouldn't. Timing is very crucial and BlackBerry just launched 2 devices this last quarter. I'm sure that an all touch device will be coming. And probably next.

Slapping a huge screen over the Passport would not be as simple as you think. In fact, I think that it could be disastrous... having to optimize the OS in multiple forms is already a challenge, I'm sure (1:1 ratio for Passport with capacitive keyboard, full touch for the Z series, 1:1 for the Classic with trackpad, etc) and then adding a whole different ratio for the screen size? I think, while the device would probably be awesome, it would be too complicated. I would expect, if they did make a bigger touch screen device, that it would have the same ratio as the Z series.

01-19-15 12:43 AM
    It could be battery life don't you think - I mean having the Passport's specs and putting into a smaller 16x9 touch device with a smaller battery would surely affect the battery life then everyone will be complaining about how bad the battery life will be. It's not rocket science - when you look at the back of the PP you see a huge honking battery which is probably why it has such great battery life.
    dranskeey likes this.
    01-19-15 01:24 AM
    I did the switch to android this year. I have a nexus 6. As with anything there are pros and cons but I'm very happy overall.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-19-15 01:44 AM
    I believe BBRY's device line up will be in three segments
    1. Unconventional devices - Flagship, some kind of key board, top of the notch. Passport is the beginning of that and AT&T exclusive Passport already shows that what they can do next. May be retractable keyboard will fall in this segment
    2. Fleet upgrades - Medium spec, Bold-ish with BB patented qwerty PKB. Probably a classic 2 will follow up in near future.
    3. All touch - Low end model, Z-ish with good price point(!). Z3 was one of them and Rio will be the next. The success of Foxconn contract will decide what will come next.

The missing piece is an all touch, flag ship. I don't know whether they will take up the RISK of manufacturing such a device when it seems that they have stabilized their rocking ship slowly. I honestly think that this missing piece could be what is BB and Samsung are discussing when Reuters reported. I know this is beyond logical imagination of many here. But I seriously think that way.

Or they may release a flagship all touch in very conservative way to mitigate the potential loss like Z10/30.

I hope one day I get a survey request from BB which may point out some thing like that.
    01-19-15 06:51 AM
    It could be battery life don't you think - I mean having the Passport's specs and putting into a smaller 16x9 touch device with a smaller battery would surely affect the battery life then everyone will be complaining about how bad the battery life will be. It's not rocket science - when you look at the back of the PP you see a huge honking battery which is probably why it has such great battery life.
    why cant you put a "huge honking battery" in a slab? Is bb10 that badly designed that battery life all the sudden is crap when you put a full glass front on the device? Sorry that just isnt a good excuse. Plenty of slab phones get great life with 3000+ mah batteries. my oneplus one gets battery life pretty close most peoples passport and its only 3100 mah. Its got the same processor as the passport as well which is about 2 generations behind as it is
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-19-15 11:28 AM
    Not much outside Rio.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:30 AM
    To be honest I don't expect much from BlackBerry in 2015 on new phones. Would have been great for them to have a Z10 upgrade in the pipeline at some point, but doubt there will be. See them concentrating on purely physical keyboard phones for the corporate market.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 11:45 AM
    Doubt we'll see much in 2015, unless the Passport/Classic sales suddenly perk up and grab Chen's interest.

Think he has his focus elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 12:03 PM
    the z30 is has a ton of room before being top of the line. Screen res, battery, processor and ram can all be improved and yet still not be top of the line.

Being capable has nothing to do with it. The z3 is a capable device is it not? would you be happy to use that over the z30 though? the q5 is a capable device but would you use that over the passport or classic?

For me if the Classic doesn't generate the sales that BlackBerry needs to show there really is a niche... I doubt that BB10 will have a future. So I'm not sure there would be much of a point to release anything beyond the RIO.

But if they do sell several million of each, and next June they release a new BlackBerry device with same specs as the OnePlus One that you have now.... basically just a year behind in hardware but they price it about the same as the Passport. Would it be an automatic buy for your? Doe you think the average person would pick one up?

To be honest I see where the Passport has a "small" market... but I'm not sure an all touch "upgrade" is going to have much of one. Other than a much smaller than it was two years ago... fan base.
    TheBirdDog and ponpiri like this.
    01-19-15 12:15 PM
    I'm only one person but I'm still on android because I don't want a z10 again and the z30 isn't available for at&t. Sure I can use an unlicked one but it isn't at&t LTE compatible.

Give me an S5 type device running bb10 and I'd be happy.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    01-19-15 12:33 PM
101 123 ...