ok so big blackberry fan here. im hoping rumors are true and we get a Q1 launch for QNX phone (colt). i cant help but to think what QNX can do for RIM. at this point RIM (blackberry) is a joke in the american market. yes there are lots of business men and bbm lover that have the phones. seriously every one i talk to act like im living in the cave man era because i have a BB. i love what blackberry does their qwerty keyboards, security, push email, and battery life make great devices if you ask me. i believe if they take what the playbook offers and put it on a phone they can reclaim the american market again. but with QNX they are really going to have to outdo all of their previous efforts. all of the reviews for the new flagship (bold 9900/30) are yes its a great phone but not enough to jump ship if you own iphone or android. lets hope QNX makes them eat their words!
    08-28-11 07:07 AM
    yup three years everyone was calling Rim dead. Im back to prepare for the new OS next year as I may be switching since Webos phones are no more for now.

Rim has what almost 8 more months to hype the **** out of the new phones. **** even say they are webos like or iphone like, whatever and make them webos like !!! esp notifications. , just type, etc. I never called Rim dead , I am surprised they failed with the old torch though to get decent games on the thing.

Anyway, if the new phones next year bomb with the new OS then yeah...... Rim may as well give up on mainstream and downsize for the corporate world.
    08-28-11 10:39 PM
    I am also praying the colt really steps up. I'm due for an upgrade and would really hate jumping ship for these other OS. I really love my BB but yeah I'm beginning to look like a caveman too. It's not right.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 08-29-11 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typos
    08-29-11 04:52 PM
    i believe QNX blackberry devices have to have it all from the beginning. im talking dual core, front facing camera, and flash support. anything else will be a serious fail. me personally i don't care about those specs but for RIM's sake they better have them.
    09-01-11 11:08 AM
    Imho, no LTE, failure.
    I don't care if its a 1/4 inch thicker or I need a 2nd battery. I want the decision to be mine. How long before a QNX keyboard phone with LTE?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 01:02 PM
    im in a serious bin right now as i want a phone with keyboard and nice size screen ala the torch 9810. i will probably wait until RIM releases a 9810 type QNX phone. i want the bigger screen but i have to have a keyboard.
    09-03-11 12:05 AM
    ok so big blackberry fan here. im hoping rumors are true and we get a Q1 launch for QNX phone (colt). i cant help but to think what QNX can do for RIM. at this point RIM (blackberry) is a joke in the american market. yes there are lots of business men and bbm lover that have the phones. seriously every one i talk to act like im living in the cave man era because i have a BB. i love what blackberry does their qwerty keyboards, security, push email, and battery life make great devices if you ask me. i believe if they take what the playbook offers and put it on a phone they can reclaim the american market again. but with QNX they are really going to have to outdo all of their previous efforts. all of the reviews for the new flagship (bold 9900/30) are yes its a great phone but not enough to jump ship if you own iphone or android. lets hope QNX makes them eat their words!
    I don't think they are a joke ... though I do agree that RIM is moving slow, now that the sector has started moving very quickly. They need to be on a more aggressive track than in the past or they'll be left behind.

The Bold 99XX is a great phone, but from a hardware point of view, would have been cutting edge last year. Now it is a solid mid-range hardware set. Right now dual core 1-1.2GHz is the leader, and dual core 1.5GHz will be the cutting edge in 4-6 months, right about QNX time (and quad core and higher clock speeds in the next 12-18 months). One can hope that RIM leapfrogs right to something like that - or they will be catering to BB fans, and not early adopters looking for something different. Have no idea if they want that demographic, but they are a good group to cater to if you can offer something special. (What specialness will be baked in to the first phones? Effective NFC with a couple of demo apps? Some sort of BBM related applications? )

The biggest issue RIm faces isn't so much release of QNX on a phone - is how can they keep up with a market that has accelerated to a break-neck pace once they do?
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 09-19-11 at 01:14 PM.
    09-19-11 12:45 PM
    Here's another idea. Keep BBOS the way it is and give every BB owner a free PlayBook. Best of all worlds.

I'm not sure I want a QNX Blackberry now. It will have battery drain like Android phones. It may be too different from original BBOS for me, and many others, to like it.

I'm re evaluating my smartphone needs. I want a great browser with Flash. But I also want my phone to last more than 8 hours, and not be so huge.

A BB and PlayBook may be able to replace my Android and cover all needs.
    09-19-11 12:50 PM
    Having played with a Playbook (I have one, but with the current setup it is just a plaything... hoping for more in the update), I think QNX will be a home run. Very slick, fast, interface. Rock solid OS and the multi-tasking puts a Windows computer to near shame. Of course there are lots of features that have to be present on a phone that the Playbook doesn't need, and some features that a phone doesn't need (or it would simply be a tiny Playbook), but if RIM just puts a slicker BBOS face on QNX, with all of the traditional phone functions, I think that will be a home run. LTE is a must, but I have my doubts about an LTE device, at least a first, since LTE sucks the life from a battery PDQ, and RIM probably has a list in front of every RIM employee's desk that says something like: Keyboard, Battery Life, Security, Solid Hardware. Apple has a much shorter list, but it has always focused on battery life at the expense of new data technologies (even as recently as the release of the 4S) just as RIM has done. Still, I agree that LTE would be awesome and, as I have said elsewhere, I think slightly thicker phones are more usable, so give it a big battery to save me the trouble is risking my money on eBay for one. Further, given the Playbook paradigm (adjunct device, parasitic data connection), LTE will eventually, in 2012, be required.

I'm on the fence about dual core--sometimes it just seems like a statistic with no real significance. I have had a dual core Android phone for a year--an Atrix, which was designed to be used with a lapdock. My wife and son bought single core phones recently. While everyone has a different brand (Motorola, HTC, Samsung), the single core phones have better battery life with larger screens and I cannot honestly see any difference in performance; in fact, mine is 1gz dual core and theirs are 1.2ghz single core, and theirs are faster at everything. I don't know the ins and outs of QNX, but unless dual core is required to run the OS, I doubt that the typical Blackberry user is going to care. Do dual cores play movies better? Are they needed for games? I really don't know, but I don't do either on my phone. I guess I need more information. Still, RIM does need a dual core phone if only to silence the crows who criticize everything about RIM's "dated" hardware and in order to appeal to the consumer end. What is odd is that iPhones are generally considered fast, fluid, cutting edge devices, and they won't even publish most of their specs. Only on dissection in a lab do you learn that their CPU's and RAM specifications are wanting.... yet everyone wants one, and they stand up well in benchmarks against phones with more high tech hardware.
    10-17-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD