I would like BlackBerry to release a BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780/9790 style smartphone running BlackBerry OS 10. The size of these smartphones is ideal for email and BBM type communication and could have an application portfolio that is restricted to get BlackBerry Hub. BlackBerry Bridge, BlackBerry Balance, BlackBerry Protect, and hotspot capabilities, Docs to Go, Adobe Reader would complete the offering. A retail price of USD198.00 off contract would be great sweet spot given the hardware requirements would be about half those of the BlackBerry Z10 but maintain the 2GB RAM allotment. Name: BlackBerry C10 (The Communicator) - homage to Star Trek: The Original Series.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-24-13 07:56 PM
    That really is not a bad idea. Some people hardly ever use the browser and thus this would make perfect sense.

To be honest, if I didn't use the browser, I'd still be on my 9900. Perfect size, and the keyboard, well, perfect...
    04-25-13 08:07 AM
    I think you are overestimating how much you would save on hardware prices, given that one of the dearer items would be the ram which you did not reduce at all, besides that you mention a price in USD when the reality is that the american market has had no interest in smaller devices or cheaper blackberries for a longer time than they have blackberries in general.

Reducing the size of the device would create more issues with adjusting the UI, we have already seen some signs of that with the q10 so for a fairly niche product with low margins that would seem to make even less sense to do and the seeming BB option of a q10-sized but cheaper specced device seems like a much smarter approach to take to get into the lower end of the market at this time.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-25-13 10:59 AM
    Yeah... Given the 97xx devices had a smaller screen, I don't see it happening especially since the BlackBerry 10 UI doesn't seem to fit well on the Q10 screen.
    04-29-13 05:38 PM
    Yeah... Given the 97xx devices had a smaller screen, I don't see it happening especially since the BlackBerry 10 UI doesn't seem to fit well on the Q10 screen.
    Huh?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:54 PM