Not having ever used a Blackberry before, I'll go into a few details of what you can expect to see on the Passport keyboard. Feel free to ask me any questions as well.

Most of you, if not all of you, already know about the capacitive keyboard. I'm not sure what new about this are out there, but here are some features on it you can expect.

- Swipe back to delete words
    - Swipe up for predictive words
    - Double tap to bring up the cursor, from which where you can press the on screen shift key and navigate to highlight using the keyboard trackpad (which is extremely fast and responsive)
    - Swipe down for numbers and alternate keys (on screen), swipe down again and it'll change to another set of keys. This takes a bit of getting used to coming from a non-blackberry user, but not difficult to get used to at all. And yes, these virtual alternate characters are mapped to the physical keys. One thing I noticed is that there is no physical map for comma, but it's on the bottom row of the virtual keyboard anyway so it's not difficult to find. Would've liked a shortkey though. Personal preference!
    - Typing is easy. Good weight in the hands, very good weight. Never having used a keyboard before, this was obviously new to me. I obviously type faster on my touch scre phones, but I think with a little time, I'd be able to type just as fast (if not faster) on the passport keyboard

- One thing I wish for with the keyboard coming from the fact that I've never been a keyboard user is for an option to use the capacitive feature of the keyboard give an option to type without having to press down fully on the keys. This would be pretty cool.

- Other things to note. Screen is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Speakers are loud. Battery is monstrous. Blackberry assistant picks up on what you say just as well as Google Now, but is about 0.5s slower in search tests between other voice assistants.

Can't think of anything else.
    07-25-14 08:25 AM
    Thanks for your perspective, it's good to see someone from outside the blackberry world take notes and honest criticism of a new device.

Z10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-25-14 08:31 AM
    On the specific model that you have, is there support for wireless charging?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:39 AM
    No specific keyboard map for comma. I haven't used the device obviously but I don't like the sound of it. Everything else is mapped except for the comma. Hmmm....

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:44 AM
    No specific keyboard map for comma. I haven't used the device obviously but I don't like the sound of it. Everything else is mapped except for the comma. Hmmm....

Posted via CB10
    It is mapped, but not on the physical one. As you can see the physical keyboard contain only letters, no number nor symbols. Numbers and symbols are mapped on the virtual keyboards which will pop up whenever we type on the phone.
    07-25-14 09:02 AM
    Incorrect. The numbers ARE mapped, and some punctuations are mapped as well. Comma is virtual only.

I also don't know if there is wireless charging on the device.

I just realized there is a passport subforum. I'll move this post over there to continue answering any questions.
    Last edited by pp4e; 07-25-14 at 10:09 AM.
    07-25-14 09:35 AM
    Incorrect. The numbers ARE mapped, and some punctuations are mapped as well. Comma is virtual only.

I also don't know if there is wireless charging on the device.
    My mistake then. Sorry. But I don't see it on the physical keyboard.
    07-25-14 10:08 AM
    Does the Passport support Miracast or any other wireless video capabilities?

Thanks

Mr A Hanif BlackBerry10
    07-25-14 10:35 AM
    Blackberry assistant picks up on what you say just as well as Google Now, but is about 0.5s slower in search tests between other voice assistants.
    Really? This is a big claim to say it's as good as Google Now, especially given how limited BlackBerry's virtual assistant has been in my experience. I'm hoping the half second delay is temporary, but I'd like to hear more about this feature.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    07-25-14 10:41 AM
    Really? This is a big claim to say it's as good as Google Now, especially given how limited BlackBerry's virtual assistant has been in my experience. I'm hoping the half second delay is temporary, but I'd like to hear more about this feature.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    I tried to speak really fast, normal conversation speeds, and really slow. Each time, Blackberry Assistant picked up my words just as well as Google Now, while Siri would sometimes hear something else.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    eyesopen1111 and ptpete like this.
    07-25-14 12:12 PM
    It is mapped, but not on the physical one. As you can see the physical keyboard contain only letters, no number nor symbols. Numbers and symbols are mapped on the virtual keyboards which will pop up whenever we type on the phone.
    You see the mapping on the virtual keyboard.

07-25-14 12:13 PM
    Elaborate a bit more about keyboard travel if possible please. I assume the travel of the individual keys are less than those from legacy BlackBerry, but you have probably not used it before so nothing to compare against. Also, does the keys feel soft and "rubbery" to the touch, or plasticky?

Lastly, I would assume in-column word prediction since there are no space to display them in-line like on a virtual keyboard. How easy is the flick to choose words and does it feel different from the flick action on the virtual keyboard of the Z30?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 01:44 PM
    Elaborate a bit more about keyboard travel if possible please. I assume the travel of the individual keys are less than those from legacy BlackBerry, but you have probably not used it before so nothing to compare against. Also, does the keys feel soft and "rubbery" to the touch, or plasticky?

Lastly, I would assume in-column word prediction since there are no space to display them in-line like on a virtual keyboard. How easy is the flick to choose words and does it feel different from the flick action on the virtual keyboard of the Z30?

Keyboard travel, assuming you mean moving thumbs from key to key doesn't seem foreign to me. It seems very intuitive. The keys feel like rubber but its not, which actually feel very nice when I press.

Predictive words show as usual, you flick up on the column of the keyboard that corresponds.

Mr4aces and m1kr0 like this.
    07-25-14 02:31 PM
    Does the Passport support Miracast or any other wireless video capabilities?

Thanks

Mr A Hanif BlackBerry10
    Yes it does.

Ahmed Hanif likes this.
    07-25-14 02:41 PM
    Can a mod please merge the two threads since the same OP has to answer questions in both. Here is the other thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=948437

pp4e likes this.
    07-25-14 02:46 PM
    Thank you, you actually addressed a few of the questions I have had for a while. I guess using the virtual shift key with the keyboard as touch pad is just opposite of the current physical shift key + touch screen. Seems okay.
    Comma is not mapped, I expected this, because the virtual row with the 5 basic symbols is always visible anyway. At least the other symbols are mapped, that makes is pretty similar to the Q.

Good to hear more positive news about the Virtual Assistant!
    _____
    If you can do one specific test: is there a way to force (ported) apps Full Screen, maybe in landscape view? Or over HDMI?
    Or is the display output 1:1 at all times? I am wondering if the landscape mode might affect that.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    07-25-14 02:56 PM
    This ^^^
    Yes, that question also bugged me: is the display letterboxed with black bands both ends or forced to be 1:1? Is there any option to choose?

07-25-14 03:11 PM
    This ^^^
    Yes, that question also bugged me: is the display letterboxed with black bands both ends or forced to be 1:1? Is there any option to choose?

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand the question.

07-25-14 03:14 PM
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand the question.

When you playback a 16:9 movie, does it play in the correct format with black bands above and below, or is it cropped and forced to fill the entire screen (1:1 ratio). Similarly, a lot of games are 16:9. How do they display?

07-25-14 03:18 PM
    When you playback a 16:9 movie, does it play in the correct format with black bands above and below, or is it cropped and forced to fill the entire screen (1:1 ratio). Similarly, a lot of games are 16:9. How do they display?

It plays back with a black band above and below. I don't have any games on the device, but watching YouTube videos, it follow the same format of black bars for 16:9 aspect ratio, so no stretching!

m1kr0 likes this.
    07-25-14 03:22 PM
    It plays back with a black band above and below. I don't have any games on the device, but watching YouTube videos, it follow the same format of black bars for 16:9 aspect ratio, so no stretching!

Sweet! Are you able to download an Android app or game to check screen compatibility? Some members expressed concern that the current situation with Q10 screen compatibility had not been improved upon. With so much screen real estate it has been remarked that a 16:9 aspect ratio is easily achievable with either vertical or horizontal letterboxing. In essence, is a 16:9 conversion algorithm for applications and games baked in to 10.3 thus solving the "it's available on my Z but not on my Q"?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    07-25-14 03:41 PM

Please download and test a wide format android game. There has been lots of debate on the site as to the display format. Will be much appreciated.

07-25-14 04:22 PM

This was already true of the Q5 and Q10 though so not surprising. Much more interested in how apps and games are displayed!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 04:28 PM
    This was already true of the Q5 and Q10 though so not surprising. Much more interested in how apps and games are displayed!

Posted via CB10
    Hope not to see "not compatible with your device" or an app simply closing. I truly hope the apps and games will run in 16:9 format on the Passport and that all apps available for the Z10 will run without issues on the Passport.

07-25-14 05:32 PM