11-21-18 06:11 PM
106 123 ...
tools
    I know this is a BlackBerry forum, and the subject has been touched upon elsewhere, but let's talk about the Palm brand under TCL.

As per Android Police's original report here about a new handset coming later this year.

I was (and to some degree, am) personally ambivalent about the Palm brand's return in this capacity. In spite of many fond webOS memories, I'm just not sure what this device is likely to be (beyond one that doesn't require licensing fees to be paid to BlackBerry), and the logistics of having an additional enterprise line (presumably) alongside BlackBerry Mobile. Of course, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

The very interesting detail is, of course, the reported Verizon endorsement.

So, what are your views around what this device could or should be? Is the Palm brand still viable in 2018?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-31-18 03:48 PM
    Landing Verizon is a big deal for Palm/TCL and BBMo/TCL since it would be movement forward since the KEYone almost made it to Verizon last year.
    03-31-18 06:09 PM
    I am assuming Verizon never got burned by Palm like BlackBerry did to them?
    03-31-18 07:35 PM
    The "Palm" name is NOT toxic in America so who knows? Probably stands more of a chance than BlackBerry imo.
    03-31-18 09:03 PM
    Quickly read the article, not crazy familiar with Palm devices of the past but would the new device have a PKB? I wouldn't mind having a 3rd device to choose from as far as PKB phones go. It would have to be something special to make me jump from the BlackBerry KEYone which I'm planning to upgrade into a KEYtwo.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-31-18 09:09 PM
    The Palm was a wonderful phone. Hope it is coming back.
    03-31-18 10:51 PM
    The article says it runs Android, so it either has a Palm skin or just the Palm name. In other words it's not a Palm at all. Its a Marketing gimick
    Last edited by co4nd; 04-01-18 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    04-01-18 02:23 AM
    The article says it runs Android, so it either has a Palm skin or just the Palm name. In other words it's not a Palm at all. Its a Marketing gimick
    Haven't we discussed that we're in a two mobile OS environment for quite awhile?

This is the reason companies buy or license old brands like Palm or BlackBerry. Introducing something familiar but modern.
    04-01-18 01:10 PM
    Doesn't LG own WEBOs now?
    04-02-18 12:45 AM
    I'm interested to see what they do with palm
    04-02-18 01:17 AM
    Yes
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-02-18 01:18 AM
    TCL is busy reviving the lost brands . Getting endorsement from Verizon is a good move.
    04-02-18 02:45 AM
    Great I'll fire up the ancient Palm Pilot to commemorate the event....then stare at it a while, then shut it down for another 10years or so, don't think that one will ever fly again - though I do remember liking that handwriting recognition capability.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-02-18 03:39 AM
    Little over a year ago a "trusted source" indicated that the KEYone was coming to Verizon....

I don't see room in the market for three PKB from BBMo, sure don't see TCL also adding any Palm branded PKB to the market (which TCL never said it would be a PKB). And at this point, the chances of a Chinese owned manufacture being a major supplier for US Carriers is fading.... only market will be for $50 prepaid phones.
    04-02-18 11:28 AM
    I think TCL has done a pretty good job with the BlackBerry brand, price complaints aside the Motion (which is their first in house BB device IIRC) was true to the brand in a lot of ways (design, battery life, durability, etc). Seeing new devices designed with a Palm aesthetic would be great.

If these devices have unlocked bootloaders it'll be neat to see what the various webOS communities can do with them.
    04-02-18 11:42 AM
    I think TCL has done a pretty good job with the BlackBerry brand, price complaints aside the Motion (which is their first in house BB device IIRC) was true to the brand in a lot of ways (design, battery life, durability, etc). Seeing new devices designed with a Palm aesthetic would be great.

If these devices have unlocked bootloaders it'll be neat to see what the various webOS communities can do with them.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what could the webOS community do with future Palm devices having unlocked bootloaders?
    04-02-18 12:24 PM
    Sure, but nowhere is it mentioned that the new Palm phone would have WebOS. Given that it's posted on Android Police, that the device is Palm "branded", and that it's not an iPhone, it's likely to just have some Android flavour.
    04-02-18 12:29 PM
    I think that the general public and phone manufacturers have realized the slab device market is very saturated. The new iPhone or Galaxy device doesn't have the same pull as it once used to. Not saying both companies aren't doing awesome in sales but the market is 99% slabs and consumers are getting a little bored.

Having the PKB option whether it's BlackBerry or Palm puts you into a position to win if the market continues the way it does.

Do you really think all touch devices are going to be the only choice for the next 3-5 years? I would bet both Apple and Samsung are putting a lot of money into R&D into the next big thing and it's not just another all touch.
    phuoc, Trisk333, the_boon and 1 others like this.
    04-02-18 01:01 PM
    I think that the general public and phone manufacturers have realized the slab device market is very saturated. The new iPhone or Galaxy device doesn't have the same pull as it once used to. Not saying both companies aren't doing awesome in sales but the market is 99% slabs and consumers are getting a little bored.

Having the PKB option whether it's BlackBerry or Palm puts you into a position to win if the market continues the way it does.

Do you really think all touch devices are going to be the only choice for the next 3-5 years? I would bet both Apple and Samsung are putting a lot of money into R&D into the next big thing and it's not just another all touch.
    PKB is a niche and will remain one, the human interface R&D is going to Voice and AR, and the public will eat it up once it really gets going. The next big thing probably will not be a hand held device at all but a wearable that will have all the functionality of a high end smartphone today. Personally I think the google glass concept was premature but probably the shape of things to come.
    04-02-18 02:18 PM
    Yes, but the Palm brand no longer has anything to do with WebOS. Today, WebOS is merely a smart TV interface - it's not being used in smartphones at all, nor is it being developed for such.

This new TCL-made, Palm-branded phone will be an Android phone, not WebOS. That's already been made clear by the announcement. The only major smartphone player still offering an "alternative OS" on a smartphone is Samsung with Tizen, and that's only been on a couple of <$100 ultra-entry phones in India. Samsung would LOVE to have a viable smartphone OS that it had much more control over, but it also knows that iOS is the ONLY real competition for Android, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.
    04-02-18 03:26 PM
    Samsung is still developing Tizen, though, and have brought it to a 4th gen Z4, smart watches, smart TVs and at one point Microsoft was going to develop apps for it. maybe they still are. It's disruptive marketing and Asian companies do it all to well. that is to say to enter the market with small runs of cheap products and then slowly expand with the cheap products over the years until consumers are familiar with your product. then, slowly creep up with quality and price and now you're a major player.

Besides, unlike BlackBerry Samsung can afford to lose $Ms each year. A possible scenario is to have a partnership with Microsoft once the Tizen OS is matured.
    cscott44 likes this.
    04-02-18 05:21 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but what could the webOS community do with future Palm devices having unlocked bootloaders?
    It would allow users to install custom roms on the device. Theoretically, someone could port webOS or LuneOS (both are open source) to the device and we'd have a modern Palm branded device running a classic Palm OS.

Essentially, it's what some BB10 fans want to do with BB Android devices but can't. I doubt it would mean much outside of fan communities but it would be a nice bit of nostalgia.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    04-02-18 07:24 PM
    You're pardoned. Look up the HP Touchpad as an example. It came out in 2011 but still gets Android custom rom updates today.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-18 08:36 PM
    PKB is a niche and will remain one, the human interface R&D is going to Voice and AR, and the public will eat it up once it really gets going. The next big thing probably will not be a hand held device at all but a wearable that will have all the functionality of a high end smartphone today. Personally I think the google glass concept was premature but probably the shape of things to come.
    Good points all around. Agreed that Google Glass was early and the PKB market is niche. Excited to see where the smartphone world goes, I hope to have my pick of PKB devices 3-5 years down the road.
    04-02-18 09:11 PM
    I doubt the big book of patents are transferable to other TCL devices. Since Blackberry is tightening it's grip on its patents they will probably be watching this palm line closely to ensure it doesn't violate their agreement.
    phuoc likes this.
    04-05-18 01:02 PM
106 123 ...