07-21-10 06:34 AM
91 1234
tools
    People can't keep asking for continuous revisions to hardware, and expect new product every 3 months, then turn around and complain when THEIR device is supplanted in that time frame, or less than 1 yr. There's no rule.

It's like people demand the latest and greatest at the VERY moment they are ready to buy, but then after purchasing, again DEMAND that no revisions be made until they've had it for XX amount of months. I mean c'mon, that's pompous and ridiculous.

I say AGAIN.... whether or not a 9700a/Onyx II gets released, it doesn't change anything in how the 9700 performs, yet there's this perception that all of sudden, their hardware is turned to junk the minute a revised version is made available.

3 days ago or so, before the 9700a was announced, no one was the wiser, and considered the 9700 the best BB. I little rumour gets released and all of a sudden we have a truckload of "victims".
    06-04-10 02:59 PM
    I recall official resources stating that the 9700 and 9650 models WILL run OS6. i think what many people are forgetting is that the lack of a touchscreen should make a difference in requirements for the memory. Not having to run two sets of functions (touchscreen and actual QWERTY keys) should help. We're not going to be dealing with pinch to zoom like the 9800 has.....shutting off the screen when the phone comes close to the face during calls (prox sensor) and all the other doodas required for a touchscreen.

Now I was with T-Mobile for 9 years and bought the 9700 when it first came out last year. Sold it, went Android (Nexus One) and finally split with T-Mobile due to servicing concerns. I live in Dallas, AT&T rocks out here since it is their corporate home....so I went back to a 9700. I LOVE the phone in all regards, but the features of the OS6 really tantalized me. Android is a wonderful OS in many ways, but I believe in what BlackBerry has always done; build a solid, reliable device that uses less data than others and delivers fantastic battery life and just plain old good features.

So me purchasing a 9700 in May 2010 as a brand new customer to AT&T, if the 9700 won't run OS6, sure, I'll be upset because I would prefer the newer OS. It is leaps and bounds better and after using a Nexus One (Holy Grail in many ways) I want some of that back. OS6 promises to give me what I want.

Not complaining, but I would be upset if it doesn't happen.
    06-04-10 04:14 PM
    umm
    Isn't this called marketting, planned obsolescence and brand freshening. All business models invented and perfected by Americans.

There will soon be a new BB - remember how bold owners felt when the onyx was announced

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 04:25 PM
    I can't see RIM giving the current 9700 OS 6 if they release an updated one. Why do that when people will be more likely to buy the new(er) 9700 to get the new OS if they just leave the current 9700 as is?

Think about the Bold 9000. Has it had ANY updates since the 9700 came out?
    06-04-10 04:30 PM
    Um, yeah the Bold 9000 runs 5.0. I'm pretty sure RIM developed that.
    06-04-10 04:34 PM
    umm
    Isn't this called marketting, planned obsolescence and brand freshening. All business models invented and perfected by Americans.

There will soon be a new BB - remember how bold owners felt when the onyx was announced

Haha. Good point. This DOES sound familiar.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    It could be worse. You could have bought a Goodroid that was top of the heap for 3-6 weeks, before a better spec'd one came out.

If we are hearing about this now, release is roughly 6 months away, say November. Same as 9700

Storm, new model every year around the same time.

See the pattern?
    06-04-10 05:01 PM
    I say AGAIN.... whether or not a 9700a/Onyx II gets released, it doesn't change anything in how the 9700 performs, yet there's this perception that all of sudden, their hardware is turned to junk the minute a revised version is made available.

3 days ago or so, before the 9700a was announced, no one was the wiser, and considered the 9700 the best BB. I little rumour gets released and all of a sudden we have a truckload of "victims".
    It amazes me at the amount of dummy spitting we have seen with this rumor, the 9700 is a great device and that hasn't changed.

As far as who is getting this device, I wouldn't be surprised if t-mobile gets this one first, with at&t getting the 9800 they need a device that is optimal for os6 before the holidays.
    06-05-10 06:25 AM
    I think one of the points people keep hitting here is that its not that we are upset over new models coming out to de-throne the 9700...its more that the 9700 should have had 512mb from the very start. Many of us, myself included commented on this very thing at the time of release.

Tech does get outdated months after release, but usually manufacturers will build in a buffer to allow for growth - that was missing in the 9700 as it was existing specs in a new package. Did the 83xx need 64mb of memory when there were hardly any apps? At its release did the 8900 need 256mb given its position? Both of those cases show some future growth possibilities.

Unfortunately everything after the 8900 (screen, memory, input, form factor, camera, expansion) has been the exact same thing in different packaging. (Yes I know processors change how minuscule that change was given the market)

Rim seriously needs to innovate, and drastically improve their core....I don't want to wait until 2014 to get 1gb of app memory that the competition had in 2007-2008

06-19-10 05:52 AM
    All I can say is I have seen and quickly played with a TMO phone labeled the Bold 9780. It has 512mb of app memory and had OS6 loaded on it. Not sure if webkit was on it.

06-21-10 11:32 AM
    All I can say is I have seen and quickly played with a TMO phone labeled the Bold 9780. It has 512mb of app memory and had OS6 loaded on it. Not sure if webkit was on it.

Sharpie labeled? Good to know RIM is now writing #s on their devices
    Last edited by jmbel13; 06-21-10 at 05:48 PM. Reason: misspelling
    06-21-10 05:47 PM
    Sharpie labeled? Good to know RIM is now writing #s on their devices
    Comedian I see................
    06-21-10 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info. Any idea on a release time frame?
    06-21-10 10:22 PM

This... if true... would be VERY interesting and might keep me from jonesing and jumping ship to an iP4... i just can't/won't go to AT&T for as long as humanly possibly, and hopefully never.

9780 on T-Mo sounds sweeeeeet. 9700 + touch screen + 512MB + OS6 = BB perfection
    06-24-10 08:53 AM
    This... if true... would be VERY interesting and might keep me from jonesing and jumping ship to an iP4... i just can't/won't go to AT&T for as long as humanly possibly, and hopefully never.

9780 on T-Mo sounds sweeeeeet. 9700 + touch screen + 512MB + OS6 = BB perfection
    If that's how it goes, I will finally abandon Sprint and get T-mobile.
    06-24-10 08:17 PM
    If that's how it goes, I will finally abandon Sprint and get T-mobile.
    come on over. hspa+ is great 4g speeds without the 4g price
    06-24-10 09:19 PM
    I would like to see this one sooner rather than later. I am eligible for an upgrade and the trackball on my 9000 has a broken clicker. I was going to go ahead and get a 9700 but if there is an updated version coming out within the next month or so I will wait.
    06-25-10 11:08 AM
    I would like to see this one sooner rather than later. I am eligible for an upgrade and the trackball on my 9000 has a broken clicker. I was going to go ahead and get a 9700 but if there is an updated version coming out within the next month or so I will wait.
    I very much doubt a new 9700 type device would come in the next month; most of us haven't heard of the typical device leaks, etc. that precede a release. There's way more stuff (pics, leaks, etc.) out for the 9800 on AT&T out right now than there is regarding an updated 9700.
    06-25-10 12:40 PM
    I very much doubt a new 9700 type device would come in the next month; most of us haven't heard of the typical device leaks, etc. that precede a release. There's way more stuff (pics, leaks, etc.) out for the 9800 on AT&T out right now than there is regarding an updated 9700.
    True, but the updated 9700 would not be an all new device. It would be a very easy update for RIM to do and bring to market and I wouldn't expect it to draw anywhere near the attention of the "slider". Purging out the existing 9700's would probably take longer than anything else.
    06-25-10 01:09 PM

I'll be genuinely curious to see how that one shapes up. Aside from 3G there's absolutely nothing a 9700 brings to the table that my 8900 doesn't already.

But now we might actually be onto something worth buying if it's compatible with TMO's HSPA+ network and runs OS6 with the Webkit browser. That it had 512mb on a regular Qwerty phone probably suggests it needs the extra memory to run some souped up new software.
    06-25-10 02:59 PM
    True, but the updated 9700 would not be an all new device. It would be a very easy update for RIM to do and bring to market and I wouldn't expect it to draw anywhere near the attention of the "slider". Purging out the existing 9700's would probably take longer than anything else.
    It would depend on the spec, a combination of 9700 + 512MB + OS6 would be a relatively simple product to get out quite quickly and would seem an ideal option for T-Mobile so that they had a new os6 product with AT&T getting an exclusivity period on the slider.

I do think those people hoping to add the words touch screen to that spec list will end up being disappointed because that would mean there were two new gsm form factors competing with each other this year and that would seem somewhat counter-productive when something like qwerty + touch screen could be a new form factor for them next year when something like the slider was getting a second version and wasn't then a new form factor to compete with it.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 06-26-10 at 09:10 AM.
    06-26-10 09:03 AM
    come on over. hspa+ is great 4g speeds without the 4g price
    Too bad the majority of RIM's devices top out at 3.6Mbps.

06-28-10 07:27 AM
    Too bad the majority of RIM's devices top out at 3.6Mbps.

Too bad HSPA+ isn't 4G either. It's only 3.5G, still faster than Sprints "4G", but not true 4G none the same.
    06-29-10 05:33 PM
    Too bad HSPA+ isn't 4G either. It's only 3.5G, still faster than Sprints "4G", but not true 4G none the same.
    Actually, HSPA+ is a notch above 3.5G. 3.5G tops out at 7.2Mbps. Gimme a RIM device that can support 21Mbps HSPA+ speeds and I'll be happy.
    06-29-10 06:11 PM
    Actually, HSPA+ is a notch above 3.5G. 3.5G tops out at 7.2Mbps. Gimme a RIM device that can support 21Mbps HSPA+ speeds and I'll be happy.
    I highly doubt we'll see that anytime in the next 2 years or so seeing as RIM still is trying to deploy more 3G devices.
    06-29-10 06:21 PM
    I highly doubt we'll see that anytime in the next 2 years or so seeing as RIM still is trying to deploy more 3G devices.
    Yeah, it's a pipe dream for sure. At the very least they could up their devices to all be a minimum of 7.2Mbps and then start to crank out 10Mbps HSPA+ devices...
    06-29-10 06:37 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD