07-21-10 06:34 AM
91 1234
tools
    The problem is you basing this all on a rumour someone started with nothing to support it. Unless I missed something, did RIM make an official statement about OS 6.0 not coming to the 9700? Just be patient, you will see....
    Shao, I am not mad at RIM right now. I am mad about thr idea of needing to upgrade my phone to enjoy future upgrades. If this idea is, in fact, true, THEN I'll be mad at RIM.

Keep doing what you're doing with LIO, by the way. I have always said it is the best app I have ever put on my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 04:39 PM
    Shao, I am not mad at RIM right now. I am mad about thr idea of needing to upgrade my phone to enjoy future upgrades. If this idea is, in fact, true, THEN I'll be mad at RIM.

Keep doing what you're doing with LIO, by the way. I have always said it is the best app I have ever put on my phone.
    Ok, it just seems sometimes people like to get all angry at rumours, I just wanted to make sure people were getting my point

Thanks. More updates coming too for LIO.
    06-03-10 04:44 PM
    Here's a piece from my AppWorld reports showing the 9700a:

5.2 was renamed to 6.0. Also a little bit of trivia, the Onyx (Bold 2) and Odin (Storm 2) were originally planned to ship with 5.2. If you look for the early leak photos of either devices you can find the OS showing this. For whatever reasons RIM decided to step them down to 5.0 at the time. My guess would be that they wanted to create a bigger impact with their next OS and "5.2" just wasnt ready yet.
    06-03-10 05:16 PM
    Here's a piece from my AppWorld reports showing the 9700a:

5.2 was renamed to 6.0. Also a little bit of trivia, the Onyx (Bold 2) and Odin (Storm 2) were originally planned to ship with 5.2. If you look for the early leak photos of either devices you can find the OS showing this. For whatever reasons RIM decided to step them down to 5.0 at the time. My guess would be that they wanted to create a bigger impact with their next OS and "5.2" just wasnt ready yet.
    Well, you seem to be more in the loop than me, and I hope you're right.

So the 2 scenarios are this:
    1. RIM felt as though 256mb wasn't enough to run 5.2's new browser and workflow, so they rushed out the 9700 knowing it's limitations of the future OS.

Or

2. 5.2 wasn't ready so instead of a faulty OS overshadowing the release of the "almighty 9700" they held back 5.2 so they can call it 6.0.

Man, I hope it's the latter.

06-03-10 05:55 PM
    Crucial Extreme has said the 9700 runs OS 6.
    06-03-10 05:59 PM
    Yes RIM could do more in terms of being innovative with their devices and picking up the pace with some next gen specs for their new devices, but I guess they like to be conservative and stick to what has worked for them.

Early rumors are that RIM is going outside of box with the Storm 3 and doing things they haven't done before such as memory in the gigabytes and GHz processor. We will see how all pans out.
    06-03-10 10:10 PM

whoa whoa whoa... DUDE... it's not like your 9700 running 5.0 will suddenly burst into flames the minute a refreshed 9700 with 6.0 hits the streets....

what's with this (and not aimed at you, simply in general) attitude on entitlement and victimization when new devices are announced??? I mean come ON.... people CRY for new and improved devices and updates faster than the mfg'ers can pump out... but oh boy, when THEIR device gets supplanted by something new or better - WATCH OUT!! it's a conspiracy... it's BS... it's no fair.... how can THEY do this to ME... and on and on....

STFU already!
    06-03-10 10:50 PM
    Guys CX said it will run os6 so it will
    06-04-10 04:56 AM
    whoa whoa whoa... DUDE... it's not like your 9700 running 5.0 will suddenly burst into flames the minute a refreshed 9700 with 6.0 hits the streets....

what's with this (and not aimed at you, simply in general) attitude on entitlement and victimization when new devices are announced??? I mean come ON.... people CRY for new and improved devices and updates faster than the mfg'ers can pump out... but oh boy, when THEIR device gets supplanted by something new or better - WATCH OUT!! it's a conspiracy... it's BS... it's no fair.... how can THEY do this to ME... and on and on....

STFU already!
    You are missing the point.

If the rumors are correct (and I know right now they are rumors), then RIM knew about 6.0 specifications and 9700's limitations at the time of its release last year. They built this phone up as an "amazing step forward" knowing it couldn't handle a new OS.

It's not about me feeling like I need the "latest phone". I could care less. It's about me supporting a company who sold me something "great" knowing that it would be obsolete in a few months.

Last edited by oneshortsleeve; 06-04-10 at 06:29 AM.
    06-04-10 06:27 AM
    I've said it before...

The need to 'refresh' these devices so soon points to RIM either being incompetent or greedy. Either they did not plan properly and take into account the initiatives in their software (WebKit, more animated UI, app world, and OpenGL support to name a few) when they designed the devices and they are incompetent, or they did consider these things but decided that they could under spec the device and get it out now and sell a bunch, then refresh it less than a year later and sell even more, which means they are greedy. (holy run on sentence!)

Take your pick.

06-04-10 06:55 AM
    Yes RIM could do more in terms of being innovative with their devices and picking up the pace with some next gen specs for their new devices, but I guess they like to be conservative and stick to what has worked for them.

Early rumors are that RIM is going outside of box with the Storm 3 and doing things they haven't done before such as memory in the gigabytes and GHz processor. We will see how all pans out.
    Most likely RIM didn't have much choice. If most of the rumors on S3 are correct than it is LTE capable and the only QualcoMm chips running LTE are 1GHz. Most likely the MDM 9600 I think. They came out in Nov 2009 so that would fit as well with when RIM was probably really ramping up design on the S3.

I am very interested to see what RIM does with the S3. They seem to be really focused on clearing out thru shortcomings. So we may actually are a state of the art device. It will really probably come down more to how much OS6 delivers.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-04-10 at 07:15 AM.
    06-04-10 07:12 AM
    You are missing the point.

If the rumors are correct (and I know right now they are rumors), then RIM knew about 6.0 specifications and 9700's limitations at the time of its release last year. They built this phone up as an "amazing step forward" knowing it couldn't handle a new OS.

It's not about me feeling like I need the "latest phone". I could care less. It's about me supporting a company who sold me something "great" knowing that it would be obsolete in a few months.

Indeed... you COULD care less but you obviously aren't (I won't even get into how you've misquoted a common saying...)... it's just eating at you isn't it... you feel slighted, like many, for some unknown reason... possibly envy, jealously, entitlement, whatever along those lines... the 9700 is NOT obsolete, nor will it be if the so-called "9700a" releases with OS 6....

that is my point... people CRY a river saying OMG, my device is now *obsolete*... WHY is it obsolete? Tell me. Seriously. Tell me. Why would your PERFECTLY good 9700, running OS 5.0.0.XXX, be ALL OF A SUDDEN OBSOLETE??? WHY?? Because at that point it won't be the latest and greatest? Is there some specific, magical reason why you NEED OS 6? NO. You and everyone else (i'm guilty too at times), just WANT. WANT WANT WANT. Well TFB my man.

Let me ask you this... Do you get upset when the newer model of the car you drive gets released? Do you all of a sudden feel your car is now *obsolete*?

People need to seriously stop the whining.... first the 9630 folks... now some 9700 folks - and about a phone this ISN'T EVEN OUT YET....

And please don't take this as a personal attack... it's not meant to be - it's meant to encompass ALL the people that get upset when a new release hits, no matter how soon after they bought their device...

And what's more upsetting are the whiners are always the ones that got a subsidized phone, paying waaaay less than retail. Funny how the ones that pay full price and are off contract never say a peep.
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 06-04-10 at 08:16 AM.
    06-04-10 08:12 AM
    And ONE more thing...

I find it really ironic how the 9100 (Pearl 3G) buyers haven't uttered a peep and aren't all furious and up in arms... but OMG - their device ONLY has 256MB!!!!... and it's NEWER than the 9700.... Holy CRAP!!!! They should SUE RIM!!!! They've been so cheated!!!
    06-04-10 08:25 AM
    My main thing is that I was really excited to have the new operating system. Yeah, my 9700 won't be top of the line, especially once the 9800 comes out. I don't care about that. I just wanted that OS 6.0. :-( And to find out there's no way for the current 9700 to get it, well. That sucks.

06-04-10 09:26 AM
    This happens in pretty much every business model in the world. Who doesn't make their product or services better leaving the previous customers without the new changes?

Wow..... Who ever is complaining should never buy anything new ever again.
    06-04-10 09:28 AM
    And ONE more thing...

I find it really ironic how the 9100 (Pearl 3G) buyers haven't uttered a peep and aren't all furious and up in arms... but OMG - their device ONLY has 256MB!!!!... and it's NEWER than the 9700.... Holy CRAP!!!! They should SUE RIM!!!! They've been so cheated!!!
    I'm guessing because they're just happy to have a Pearl with fairly current specs.
    06-04-10 09:29 AM
    My main thing is that I was really excited to have the new operating system. Yeah, my 9700 won't be top of the line, especially once the 9800 comes out. I don't care about that. I just wanted that OS 6.0. :-( And to find out there's no way for the current 9700 to get it, well. That sucks.

Who said there is no way for the 9700 to get 6.0

Obviously you don't read these forums or you totally read a non-credible (idi0t) source.
    06-04-10 09:31 AM
    I'm just making an assumption based on the fact that each new phone said to be able run OS 6.0 has 512 mb of memory, not 256. It appears as though that's needed for the new OS.

I just wanted that OS 6.0. :-( The current OS is outdated and clunky compared to the likes of Android and iPhone. We all know that. That's why OS 6.0 is so exciting. I just think maybe they should have waited and released this "new" 9700 instead of the one they seem to have hurried to market.

Further support for the "hurried" to market idea is the HORRIBLE build quality of the current 9700. I mean, people are having broken trackpads within months. The chrome strips between the keys flake off. The bottom "chin" piece with the carriers logo is commonly found to be loose. Battery doors don't fit right, and there are often light gaps around the keyboard. And this device has only been out for eight months! I'm not saying it's a bad phone. No. I like it. But after a few months of owing it, it does feel like RIM rushed it to market and we got "sloppy seconds" while they were working on other things, like OS 6.0 and the new, revamped devices.

06-04-10 09:36 AM
    You shouldn't make assumptions like that... Very credible people and reports have shown the 9700 will run on 6.0... no one (credible) said anything about it not working on 256mb models...

I still don't understand how OS's can be boring or outdated.... Yeah it could you a browser overhaul, but what more of a way do you need to see your icons and menus?
    06-04-10 09:50 AM
    It was confirmed - or at least stated - that the 9100/9105 would be OS 6 ready devices. Newsflash - they only have 256MB. I doubt that will prevent OS 6. They have the processing power - ie. 624MHz, like the 9700. No reason to assume anything at this point. All shall be revealed once OS 6 hits. Probably soon if the 9800 June release is anywhere near truth.
    06-04-10 10:43 AM
    Indeed... you COULD care less but you obviously aren't (I won't even get into how you've misquoted a common saying...)... it's just eating at you isn't it... you feel slighted, like many, for some unknown reason... possibly envy, jealously, entitlement, whatever along those lines... the 9700 is NOT obsolete, nor will it be if the so-called "9700a" releases with OS 6....

that is my point... people CRY a river saying OMG, my device is now *obsolete*... WHY is it obsolete? Tell me. Seriously. Tell me. Why would your PERFECTLY good 9700, running OS 5.0.0.XXX, be ALL OF A SUDDEN OBSOLETE??? WHY?? Because at that point it won't be the latest and greatest? Is there some specific, magical reason why you NEED OS 6? NO. You and everyone else (i'm guilty too at times), just WANT. WANT WANT WANT. Well TFB my man.

Let me ask you this... Do you get upset when the newer model of the car you drive gets released? Do you all of a sudden feel your car is now *obsolete*?

People need to seriously stop the whining.... first the 9630 folks... now some 9700 folks - and about a phone this ISN'T EVEN OUT YET....

And please don't take this as a personal attack... it's not meant to be - it's meant to encompass ALL the people that get upset when a new release hits, no matter how soon after they bought their device...

And what's more upsetting are the whiners are always the ones that got a subsidized phone, paying waaaay less than retail. Funny how the ones that pay full price and are off contract never say a peep.
    Holy F'n Sh*t, my man. Take a breather. Why have I got you all worked up?

Look back at my previous posts. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE 9700a OR THE FACT THAT I DO NOT HAVE THE "LATEST AND GREATEST"! It is simply the fact that (IF THE RUMORS ARE TRUE) Rim released a phone, advertised it as the best BB of it's time, and sold it knowing it would not handle the requirements of 6.0. I COULDN'T CARE LESS (happy?) about the model number of my phone. What I want to do is support a company that will allow me the benefits of a newer OS that is released AT LEAST within the 1st year of the phone's debut.

Search my post history and tell me one negative thing I have ever said about RIM before this thread. I have ALWAYS supported RIM, but their tactics with my 7 month old phone is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. My gut is telling me they rushed a phone's release with inferior capabilities for the holidays last year. They knew what they were about to run up against with Android and suckered people like me.

Feel free to correct any grammatical errors, but you have no leg to stand on right now.
    06-04-10 11:04 AM
    The general rule of thumb is any electronic thing after 60-90 days becomes outdated.... 7 months is not a new phone... So again.. Stop buying new things, you're only hurting yourself.
    06-04-10 11:12 AM
    What rumors are saying it won't run OS 6? I am so sick of hearing that. Seriously, enough with this. And I have to say I like OS 5...oh my gosh crazy right? Like I saw on here earlier the only thing I would want to be better is the browser which I am excited to see on OS 6 when it leaks for my 9700. That's right you heard it here for 10 millionth time...when it leaks for my 9700. As a side note I don't think the current browser is anywhere near as awful as it's made out to be but that is another argument for some other inane thread. I feel better now.
    06-04-10 11:17 AM
    The general rule of thumb is any electronic thing after 60-90 days becomes outdated.... 7 months is not a new phone... So again.. Stop buying new things, you're only hurting yourself.
    Hardware? Yes. I don't think it's too much to ask for customers to expect companies to provide hardware with the chance for improvements; especially when the company builds the hardware AND software. I have a 5 year old Dell that allows me to install Windows 7 if I felt like paying for it.

And before anyone replies - I KNOW THIS IS ALL BUILT ON SPECULATION. My argument is solely based in "what if the 9700 could not run 6.0". It's all about principal for me.

Last edited by oneshortsleeve; 06-04-10 at 12:16 PM.
    06-04-10 12:11 PM
    The way I look at it is that when my company makes hardware purchases for IT projects we always forecast for 3 years of use. So we beat up our Software Engineers and Business and Tech analysts to estimate growth and consider future initiatives when they determine specs. Even then we often add 20%. In the case of a mobile phone or smart phone the life cycle should be 2 years given that most customers are on a 2 year contract and upgrade cycle. (you could argue for 2.5 to 3 years as not everyone gets the device the day it drops)

That being said releasing a device that can't support major software initiatives (like a new OS) that are expected drop within the first 6-12 months of that devices life is just poor planning. Seriously, go tell your CIO that you have to replace or significantly upgrade a system you built 12 months ago (even just explain why you are running it without all features or in some diminished capacity) and see how that goes for you.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-04-10 at 02:25 PM.
    06-04-10 02:21 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD