03-19-14 07:10 PM
65 123
tools
    Why are you missing out the Z30?

And the Octacore should be a high end touch screen device..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I like the size of the Z30 and some of the new features like natural sound. However, I find the specs are a bit lacking. The screen resolution for one thing needs to be at least 1080p. It also needs a better processor and more memory.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-03-14 11:43 AM
    I like the size of the Z30 and some of the new features like natural sound. However, I find the specs are a bit lacking. The screen resolution for one thing needs to be at least 1080p. It also needs a better processor and more memory.

Just wondering, have you used the Z30 or are you talking from just reading about it?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-03-14 11:49 AM
    Just wondering, have you used the Z30 or are you talking from just reading about it?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I've used it in the store only. Although that wasn't lengthy I did find the screen needed to be higher resolution.

As for the processor, memory, and other specs let's look at it this way. A phone needs to last about 2 years. The specs of the Z30 are bare minimum for today, much less 2 years from now.

The Z30 is a great phone. I have to think about the next 2 years. The phone needs to be an industry leader now to do that, and frankly the Z30 isn't. In fact it isn't all that much of an upgrade from my Z10.

Bdot-1 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:11 PM
    I've used it in the store only. Although that wasn't lengthy I did find the screen needed to be higher resolution.

As for the processor, memory, and other specs let's look at it this way. A phone needs to last about 2 years. The specs of the Z30 are bare minimum for today, much less 2 years from now.

The Z30 is a great phone. I have to think about the next 2 years. The phone needs to be an industry leader now to do that, and frankly the Z30 isn't. In fact it isn't all that much of an upgrade from my Z10.

Hmm okay fair enough, I think if this Octacore device plays out then it will definitely be something we'll want

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    03-03-14 12:24 PM
    Hmm okay fair enough, I think if this Octacore device plays out then it will definitely be something we'll want

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    For sure. If they came out with a device along the lines of the z30, but with upgraded specs I'd be all over it.

More to the point I think it would really help show that BlackBerry can still compete with the big boys. A few high end devices that compete on specs and I think the market will start taking notice of BlackBerry.

Only thing is that I don't think they can afford to wait until summer 2015 to release it.

tinochiko likes this.
    03-03-14 12:30 PM
    I have a feeling the z3, should it be a hot seller, will end up being repackaged as a high end device for larger markets. The phone itself is visually appealing but the specs need a major boost. Better camera (not MP but quality of lens). Better ram. 32GB minimum. Better screen (HD. I'm fine with 720 but I'm sure others won't be).
    Don't really need an octo core but if 2015 rolls around it should be dual or quad at a minimum.
    03-03-14 12:49 PM
    I have a feeling the z3, should it be a hot seller, will end up being repackaged as a high end device for larger markets. The phone itself is visually appealing but the specs need a major boost. Better camera (not MP but quality of lens). Better ram. 32GB minimum. Better screen (HD. I'm fine with 720 but I'm sure others won't be).
    Don't really need an octo core but if 2015 rolls around it should be dual or quad at a minimum.
    Lol wow, has that ever happened (a device being repackaged up rather than down)

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    03-03-14 01:15 PM
    It is visually appealing but I think it's a bad idea to take a phone that was released as a budget phone and make it into a high end product. Some people might still perceive it as low end. I think it needs more than just a new interior to make it work.

03-03-14 06:27 PM

A few points.

Firstly, I felt the same about the screen when I first picked up the phone - but after using this device for a few months now, there's no way I could go back. The screen is beautiful. You honstly don't notice the slightly lower dot pitch after even a day of use, and the benefits of better colour and deeper blacks quickly become apparent. It's gorgeous and I prefer it over the Z10 any day.

As for the core components being "bare minimum" - I disagree. The Z30 is smooth as silk and is absolutely future proof for the next 2 years. Remember - this is not only an upgraded processor (Dual 1.7Ghz), but the addition of FOUR graphics units means a lot of the processor workload is offloaded to the GPUs. Seriously - the Z30 is a massive improvement over the Z10.

Combine these improvements with a large list of others (amazing speakers, extraordinary battery life) and the Z30 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the Z10.

I'm absolutely pleased with my Z30. It's amazing.

Now BlackBerry may indeed bring out higher specs in the future, and if they do - great! But I'm 100% happy with my Z30 and I'll be just as happy in the future when I upgrade to the next model in due time.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-03-14 06:56 PM
    A few points.

Firstly, I felt the same about the screen when I first picked up the phone - but after using this device for a few months now, there's no way I could go back. The screen is beautiful. You honstly don't notice the slightly lower dot pitch after even a day of use, and the benefits of better colour and deeper blacks quickly become apparent. It's gorgeous and I prefer it over the Z10 any day.

As for the core components being "bare minimum" - I disagree. The Z30 is smooth as silk and is absolutely future proof for the next 2 years. Remember - this is not only an upgraded processor (Dual 1.7Ghz), but the addition of FOUR graphics units means a lot of the processor workload is offloaded to the GPUs. Seriously - the Z30 is a massive improvement over the Z10.

Combine these improvements with a large list of others (amazing speakers, extraordinary battery life) and the Z30 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the Z10.

I'm absolutely pleased with my Z30. It's amazing.

Now BlackBerry may indeed bring out higher specs in the future, and if they do - great! But I'm 100% happy with my Z30 and I'll be just as happy in the future when I upgrade to the next model in due time.
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't completely clear. I do think that right now the Z30 is a great phone. But if I got one now, and then had to keep it for two years, I don't think I'd be too happy in say 12-15 months.

I am interested that you are happy with the screen. I wonder if over time I would be too. I still think they could have gone with a 1080p screen.

Thanks for your feedback on the Z30. I do really like it as a phone right now. I'm just hoping they release one with upgraded specs but the same size screen.

03-03-14 07:03 PM
    finally a comment with some reality to it. Trying to win the hardware game is like trying to stop a leak in a dam. It cant be done there are not enough fingers. if you have infinite dollars and no budget to follow then maybe its possible but as a business decision its ridiculous. You try to make the best device with the allotted dollars you have. The software is always the most important part. When the z10 came out the software was there but it didnt work the way it should. That was the big mistake. The hardware was fine. Its a year and a half later and the hardware is still fine and now the software is up to speed. If they would have had the high end hardware it would have been nothing more then spending more money for a bigger failure. They focused on the software side unfortunately it was pushed through to soon and not everything worked the way it should. Now they have the software side. The hardware can be improved but thinking they are going to outspend apple or samsung is crazy and it wont happen. These are productivity specific devices. They want to focus on business not a whole pile of gimmicks. HTC and Sony can do that and see where it gets them. NOWHERE. If they want to lead they need to focus on the software still. Add more functionality and make things easier. I dont see spending a bunch of R and D time on some infinitum phone that frankly wont really help them one bit. Get the best phone for the dollar. they obviously dont want to focus on the low end phones they want mid to high with decent specs and great software. The idea that they are going to wow anyone with a high end do it all device is frankly not realistic and wont happen. Lets hope they can convert people over from OS7 thats what they really want then they can have a better user base otherwise this is all for not.
    03-16-14 11:25 AM
    out to lunch on this one. they cant outspend or out R and D the big boys and they never will. They need devices that work well out of the box. The fact its got gazillion cores or x amount of memory means nothing if the phone doesnt work well. We have seen to many examples of great phones that frankly do nothing sales wise. This is because they are going after the whole pie but people have already decided that apple and samsung are the only pieces of the pie and the rest are slivers. Blackberry is focusing on corporate. you need a high performance, rugged and highly productive phone. Do you need the absolute tops in hardware. NOPE. Thats not what they want or need. They need to be in the ballpark. Then they need huge support and software services. BES and BBM need to be working like clockwork no shutdowns in service. The z10 is still working fine today and its 1.5 years later after launch i find nothing slow or out of date with it. In fact with the new OS updates it seems like a brand new phone that can compete with the others and still get the job done. So you can keep harping about upping the hardware but its like throwing money down the drain. Phones are commodities now hardware wise. They all do what they need to do now the only differentiation is the OS that is where blackberry was falling short. The software wasnt up to par. Its getting better and improving by the day. So blowing away the competition in hardware wont save blackberry but being in the mix and having the software systems to back it up will.
    03-16-14 11:36 AM
    The z10 is still working fine today and its 1.5 years later after launch i find nothing slow or out of date with it.
    The Z10 might still work, but it was meant to be launched long before it did. As a result it was out of date from the minute it hit the street. In specs it was way behind other phones.

It is even more out of date now.

The Z10 over promised and under delivered.

03-16-14 01:29 PM
    Damn son...

Q10
    03-16-14 01:30 PM
    I beg to disagree based on specs if you compare it to the iPhone 5s which one has better specs hardware wise.....??? I mean everything......

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 07:10 PM
65 123