09-30-14 01:35 AM
    Apple wants to release the same product every year, and Samsung wants to release the same product every month
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-30-14 at 11:14 AM.
    09-30-14 02:40 AM
    Apple wants to release the same product every year, and Samsung wants to release the same product every month
    This...

Apple say they are "reinventing" each phone they produce. But honestly to me it looks like they "increased the screen size" "made it thinner" "moved the power button to the side" "made a bigger battery"

This in my book doesn't define "reinventing". What in my book describes "reinventing" is simply the keyboard on the BlackBerry Passport. "Touch enabled" is something new and exciting. No just thinner and bigger.

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    09-30-14 03:02 PM
    This...

Apple say they are "reinventing" each phone they produce. But honestly to me it looks like they "increased the screen size" "made it thinner" "moved the power button to the side" "made a bigger battery"

This in my book doesn't define "reinventing". What in my book describes "reinventing" is simply the keyboard on the BlackBerry Passport. "Touch enabled" is something new and exciting. No just thinner and bigger.

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    I love the innovation embedded in the passport. Finally some out of the box thinking and movement away from the typical slab phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:51 PM
    I do think BlackBerry is on to something with the hardware interface innovation. I mean, it's always been a strength of theirs above "smooth" software. Things like the scroll wheel, the roller ball, the optical track pad, the storm "surepress", the keyboard itself,.. it's one of their core strengths. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be limited by the glass slab format. So I don't know, maybe we're coming full circle, maybe our software UI have plateaued (at a good and stable place, don't get me wrong) and maybe there will be a desire for more hardware "gadgetry" again.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:59 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I really like chen's innovative approach.... bringing back the "research in Motion" blackberry innovative spirit.... yeah!!!!

... from my stunning Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:45 AM
    "One unconventional device per year..."

Exactly what I thought when I saw the new concept device for the very first time.

Give us the slab, give us the QWERTY, give us something special...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-02-14 04:52 PM
    I really like chen's innovative approach.... bringing back the "research in Motion" blackberry innovative spirit.... yeah!!!!

... from my stunning Passport

Posted via CB10
    It was in the works apparently for many years before chen, he can be thanked for not killing it.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:44 AM
    This is actually an advantage Blackberry has right now that even Apple doesn't. BB is in a position to take some chances with designs and ideas as they can't win at trying to compete doing the same thing as everyone else anyway so why not.

Apple, in particular, has reached the point where they risk alienating their die-hards by changing too much. They have to pretend to innovate without scaring off the loyalists by changing too drastically. A downside of getting too big. Just ask Microsoft about Windows 8 for proof of that.

Samsung is, well, Samsung...they just want to please everyone and I think they actually sacrifice innovation in a lot of areas by making "getting things to market first" and worrying about quality and bug fixing afterwards.

I mean, I give them some credit for simply the amount of features, etc that they get to market, but a lot of what they try to pass off as innovation quickly becomes buggy, half-baked gimmicks that users try once or twice on their phones and then never use again. (ie: video files stopping when your eyes look away...(that would drive me freakin' nuts)..just to name one.

Samsung just has too much money and resources to make something truly creative IMO. They aren't hungry anymore. I equate that situation to the well-written, lower budget movie that becomes a hit based on it's story, acting, etc. and then the piece of junk high budget inevitable sequel that forgets about the story and just throws all the special effects and advertising at it because they don't have to try and be creative, nor do they want to change a formula that has already worked.
    10-03-14 04:07 AM
    A play on words at the apple event "the biggest iPhone release ever" because the screen got bigger. Lol

Z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-14 06:06 AM
    I think that something seriously got lost when everyone started copying Apple - and by this I mean the slab phone. Apple did wondrous things refining the app world. But they killed all forms of interesting device innovation when everything became just touch screen.

Remember the good old days of the Storm, the Torch, and even that strange dual letter per key phone that BlackBerry had?

I am eager for someone to bring back the form factor and gadget side of our devices. I really am enjoying the Passport far more than I ever expected to. I hope that BlackBerry continues to take chances and bring backs some fun and individuality to these devices. I loved pushing up and down on the screen of my Torch. God I wish they would make a bb10 version of that phone.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-08-14 04:33 AM
    One device per year?

We might be getting more than one next year or the following year, if they're getting it done ...

Tablet coming... ? :-)))

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=970072

10-22-14 11:09 PM
    One device per year?

We might be getting more than one next year or the following year, if they're getting it done ...

Tablet coming... ? :-)))

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=970072

I'd agree with you, it seems that they will likely launch more than one device next year, they need to keep up the momentum, and if they can manage to produce low quantities at a profit then we should see many more unique products coming out in the near future

BB for Life
    10-30-14 04:49 PM