There is no dedicated button for commas or periods.
    Don't know how I am going to like the long reach up over keyboard to touch the screen for those and numbers.
    Oh well, I will get used to it I am sure.
    I REALLY hope they do a great job with the camera this time.......

Z30 user and lover.
    06-21-14 05:08 PM
    There is no dedicated button for commas or periods.
    Don't know how I am going to like the long reach up over keyboard to touch the screen for those and numbers.
    Oh well, I will get used to it I am sure.
    I REALLY hope they do a great job with the camera this time.......

Z30 user and lover.
    It's a surprise... you'll see!
    (either swipe sensitive keys or display changing keys)!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Mic_JP likes this.
    06-21-14 05:10 PM
    There is no dedicated button for periods or commas on the Q10 either. Any time I want a period I just tap the space bar twice. If I want a comma its alt+N

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:15 PM
    There is no dedicated button for periods or commas on the Q10 either. Any time I want a period I just tap the space bar twice. If I want a comma its alt+N

Posted via CB10
    But there is no ALT SHIFT SYM and number keys... only capital letter-keys, delete, space and enter...

The phone will inaugurate a novelity, I am certain!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-21-14 05:20 PM
    There is no technical reason why these characters can not be mapped to hardware keys, even if they are not printed onto them.

Let's say you swipe down to switch to an alternative keymap, and instead of a virtual row of keys, on the screen (...which I suppose shouldn't be that far to reach, given it is no farther than a fourth real row would be), you are shown a keymap guide, which tells you that to get a comma, you are to press, say, the "N" key.

I'm not saying this is how it works, because I don't know, but it could be... :7

I'm more worried about what those sharp corners will do to my pocket seams... :9
    06-21-14 05:21 PM
    I'm wondering if what Chen was showing was not final and if each key is an lcd display.

That's why he didn't touch the keyboard. He didn't want to risk pressing Q just to have the number one show on screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:12 AM
    I'm wondering if what Chen was showing was not final and if each key is an lcd display.

That's why he didn't touch the keyboard. He didn't want to risk pressing Q just to have the number one show on screen.

Posted via CB10
    It's not. It's just a regular keyboard. Other characters are selected via the touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:15 AM
    Double clicking the space bar gives you a period and a space. I'm sure they put that feature into the Passport as well. Hopefully...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:58 AM
    Double clicking the space bar gives you a period and a space. I'm sure they put that feature into the Passport as well. Hopefully...

Posted via CB10
    I would think so too. That is a feature of all BlackBerry keyboards, even the soft ones. It's one thing I like much better about my Z10 keyboard, than the one on my Android tablet.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-22-14 01:13 PM
    If youve ever used the Z10 you will know how that the symbols come up when you swipe down on the keyboard. I think this is the same idea as the Passport. You will swipe down on the keyboard to bring up the symbols which will appear above the keyboard on the screen. But you don't need to tap on the screen, you can hit the corresponding key from your keyboard to use that symbol.

So to make a comma, you would swipe down on the keyboard and then hit the N key. Thats almost easier than hitting alt+n. I'm just concerned about how often you may inadvertently bring up the symbols while using the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:43 PM
    Or use the space bar to snap a picture like i do now on my q10.
    06-22-14 03:50 PM
    I think iamagod has it right.

On the Q10, the sym key brings up a map on the touch screen. You have a choice of using the touch screen display to enter the symbol OR using the corresponding keyboard key. (Double tapping the sym key brings up a second page of symbols and the numbers, BTW.)

If the Passport displays a key map when swiping down on the keyboard, it would be easier than the current alt-n to get a comma.

Think of the possibilities. One could swipe down on the right hand side of the keyboard for symbols and the left hand side for numbers, for example. What could double swipes do?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:59 PM
    Maybe you should wait for all the information about the Passport is well known before commenting on a feature that may or may not be there.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:48 AM
    Looking forward to seeing how this new keyboard works. As it stands right now, it's not for me.
    06-23-14 04:46 PM
    06-26-14 11:39 AM
    From the pictures it looks a little awkward. I'll reserve my judgment until I see it in person, but one way or the other I'll be sticking to the Z series.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-26-14 11:49 AM