11-17-13 11:16 AM
52 123
tools
    What do people think about no nfc? The screws, battery contacts and other small details can be seen under the battery cover but not nfc contact points
    11-14-13 11:08 AM
    What do people think about no nfc? The screws, battery contacts and other small details can be seen under the battery cover but not nfc contact points
    We have to wait until the EU makes it mandatory so that it can be used for something useful on a day to day basis, like they did with the micro-USB port
    11-14-13 11:16 AM
    That's because I didn't publish the other pic
    Attachment 220223

No HDMI, no... This is the cheap model, remember.
    Mind boggling when that's one of BB10's strong points.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:20 AM
    Could it be a slider?
    The picture of the top shows all buttons and mics on the back cover side of the split. The front section could conceivably slide up to reveal a keypad. Why else would they make the back cover with slots for those buttons? It would be cheaper to manufacture it without the slots and have the buttons on the device body side.
    Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:25 AM
    Sure wasn't priced like one

Posted from BlackBerry Z10
    11-14-13 11:25 AM
    We have to wait until the EU makes it mandatory so that it can be used for something useful on a day to day basis, like they did with the micro-USB port
    Wait a minute when the iPhone didn't have it then it's oh so useful but now it's not yet lol
    11-14-13 11:28 AM
    Wait a minute when the iPhone didn't have it then it's oh so useful but now it's not yet lol
    Still useful to me. Idc if iPhone has it or not.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:09 PM
    Could it be a slider?
    The picture of the top shows all buttons and mics on the back cover side of the split. The front section could conceivably slide up to reveal a keypad. Why else would they make the back cover with slots for those buttons? It would be cheaper to manufacture it without the slots and have the buttons on the device body side.
    Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    The battery slot is way too big for there to be enough space for the inner components and a slider mechanism.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:56 PM
    what is the screen size?
    11-14-13 01:08 PM
    wana hear something good?....this might come loaded with 10.2.1 :") to me that's a good thing.
    11-14-13 01:18 PM
    hmm i wonder what type of cpu it will be packing inside the device..
    11-14-13 01:28 PM
    720p screen, like the Z30, but LCD and 4.5", etc. check my sig for full specs.
    This is low end and they even have created a special profile for devices like this with a slow GPU and between 1GB and 2GB of RAM.
    Last edited by ofutur; 11-14-13 at 04:20 PM. Reason: More RAM!
    11-14-13 01:37 PM
    i thought they were retiering the Z10 as the low end touch screen.
    11-14-13 03:20 PM
    I would think that they were not expecting the z10 to have plummeted in price quite so rapidly when they originally planned this device which has a newer chipset that is slower than the one in the z10 (albeit with a faster gpu) and they would have hoped to have a range of this one, z10 and z30, so you do have to wonder if this one has been or is in danger of getting cancelled at this point. This seems increasingly likely when you consider that most american carriers didn't even take the z30 which is easily a more distinct product from the existing z10 unlike this one.
    mathking606 likes this.
    11-14-13 03:35 PM
    That's for 2013. The Snapdragon 400 is too new for their 2013 line-up, so they'll just wait for 2014

Bad jokes apart, Skeevecr is right and the Moto G has similar specs, so if they market it at the same price ($200) and right after the holidays, it won't look too bad on the shelves, especially loaded with 10.2.1. Just sell it as an Android phone with a special app for communications called Hub. People will assume that BB10 is just the BlackBerry UI on top of Android
    mathking606 likes this.
    11-14-13 03:45 PM
    720p screen, like the Z30, but LCD and 4.5", etc. check my sig for full specs.
    This is low end and they even have created a special profile for devices like this with a slow GPU and 1GB RAM.
    Hold the phone! 1GB of RAM was the deal breaker for BB10 on PlayBook, how the hell could they release this phone with only 1GB of RAM? That's enough for the OS and Hub to load and a couple of apps and that's it!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:02 PM
    This phone should have been released back in the summer, BB10 has desperately needed a low end all touch phone all year.

The messy problem is that the Z10 is being slashed in price to be the low end BB10 phone. There's no way this phone could be sold for less than the 150 GBP you can get the Z10 for here now on Pay As You Go so it would make no sense at all to release something like this until all the Z10s are sold or buried in a desert somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:10 PM
    Hold the phone! 1GB of RAM was the deal breaker for BB10 on PlayBook, how the hell could they release this phone with only 1GB of RAM? That's enough for the OS and Hub to load and a couple of apps and that's it!

Posted via CB10
    My mistake, it will probably be 1.5GB. They tune the OS based on the available amount of RAM and they've recently introduced a new profile for devices which have between 1GB and 2GB of RAM.
    11-14-13 04:19 PM
    The battery slot is way too big... ...
    The battery size seems to be identical to that of JM1 or JS1... where it's 1250mah and 1500mah respectively. If the screen is really 4inch or slightly bigger, under 5inch... BB may need to put in hard work on power management through the OS.
    11-15-13 08:27 AM
    Is the different sim location possibly because one is an all touch and the other is a qwerty? I believe there was supposed to be two new low end phones (one all touch, one qwerty)...

In either case, I hope they release these and price them aggressively. The Z10 and Q5 are still around $400 in Canada and there is definitely cost saving opportunity in components such that these could be profitable significantly below that...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:39 PM
    [...] it would make no sense at all to release something like this until all the Z10s are sold or buried in a desert somewhere.
    I guess that's why BlackBerry changed their release strategy a few weeks ago by stating they will run a portfolio of four devices at a time rather than the originally planned six devices. So there is no more place for a new cheap full touch device until Z10 runs out of stock. Chen talks about a new device strategy in the latest blog post, though, without giving any more info. So that 4 device strategy might have changed - hopefully not to 0 devices.
    11-16-13 02:18 AM
    I guess that's why BlackBerry changed their release strategy a few weeks ago by stating they will run a portfolio of four devices at a time rather than the originally planned six devices. So there is no more place for a new cheap full touch device until Z10 runs out of stock. Chen talks about a new device strategy in the latest blog post, though, without giving any more info. So that 4 device strategy might have changed - hopefully not to 0 devices.
    I think it would be relatively safe to assume that they will continue to release hardware, they are clearly going to limit things to models where they think there is a market or they are able to more readily phase out a device e.g. with bbos devices still selling there would seem to be room for a model that is cheaper than the q5, but the same is perhaps not true for all-touch where they would need enough of a gap between the z10's current price and a new model to make it worth it. Outside of the low end, there will still be room for them to update both the z30 and q10 next year as long as they can cut overheads enough to survive on lower sales volumes while they continue to try and build up the audience for bb10.
    11-16-13 05:21 AM
    I didn't pay close enough attention to the pics! Since the devices are so similar, I missed that we had pics of both Caf and Kopi.

Caf (touch)
    Official pics of the back of the new Curve Touch-stb1377708608046_hiresdevice_offline_shared.png
    Kopi (qwerty)
    Official pics of the back of the new Curve Touch-stb1377611348404_hiresdevice_offline_shared.png

That explains why there are 2 different SIM slot locations. They moved it up for the qwerty version.
    Kopi is slightly fatter...
    Last edited by ofutur; 11-17-13 at 11:07 AM.
    williaml and thanasi like this.
    11-16-13 10:10 AM
    I didn't pay close enough attention to the pics! Since the devices are so similar, I missed that we had pics of both Caf and Kopi.

Caf (touch)
    Attachment 221422
    Kopi (qwerty)
    Attachment 221423

That explains why there are 2 different SIM slot locations. They moved it up for the qwerty version.
    Kopi is slightly fatter...
    Can't see the pictures

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 10:25 AM
    Can't see the pictures

Posted via CB10
    And now?
    eldricho likes this.
    11-17-13 11:08 AM
52 123