01-12-11 11:07 PM
44 12
tools
    VZW had flyers out so I guess a $G phone is releasing shortly. I kind of snuck and picked up and read it..

The 4g speed will suck for awhile. So dont get your hopes up high...

I would like to add that Verizon customers are in for a real shock when they realize their 4G speed is slower than AT&T 3G. They will get another shock when they move in and out of 4G coverage because Verzon's 3G speed is the worst in the industry at 400kbps - 600kbps. AT&T 3G gets 4Mbps regularly, so their customers will still get excellent speed outside of 4G coverage.
    Where? San Francisco?
    12-22-10 12:34 AM
    Where? San Francisco?
    Hahaha... AT&T has a VERY LARGE presence in St. Louis and I still hear complaints about their "3G" coverage.
    12-22-10 08:26 AM
    I love blackberry, but one possibility is maybe because there are so many different manufacturers that make android phones. Motorola, HTC, LG, now Samsung. While RIM is the only one making BlackBerries. I am a BlackBerry gone android gone BlackBerry again. I think the media is going towards pusing android phones too. But do BlackBerries really need advertising? I think no matter what there is still always going to be a target group that will always choose BlackBerries. After all BlackBerry trumps in a lot of categories that some may take for granted. Such as email. I know I definitely took that for grated when I switched. I saw this article on crackberry and it's one of the best I've ever read and I totally agree 100%. Enjoy

http://m.crackberry.com/hierarchy-sm...ent-back-black
    No offense, I am a former BB user, I have had multiple devices including the Curve, Bold, Storm ect. My last phone was the storm until I got my Droid Incredible upon launch. You are absolutely wrong in saying that email is better on a blackberry. The push email on Androids is the same if not superior as of the last 4 or 5 months. If I email myself from my work or home pc I receive the message instantly. Not to mention push notifications on Facebook. The UI is much much smoother, SMS is faster and does not have constant MMS issues as the BB's seem to always have. Throw in the exclusive vector mapping of google maps 5 as well as the completely free google navigator and you have a much better phone. Hardwarewise is the same, My INC came with 1 gb internal memory, 8gb internal storage memory and a microSD with availability of up to 32gb as well as either AMOLED or SLCD screens covered in Gorilla Glass. 512ram and rom, the list goes on. Not to mention full flash 10.1 compatible.

Mainly, the issue with RIM is not it's advertising or just the storm in general, The problem with RIM is the have taken for granted the things they thought were superior in their OS and other companies have surpassed them. If they do not stop using fully java based OS's and start improving the memory in their phones, people will have no reason to carry them.

In Short, althought there is a small common consumer base that is leaving BB for Android and iPhone for the "pretty UI", The majority of the consumers switching are because they are looking for a better quality product with a much higher range of performance than any current Blackberry can give them.

I loved the BB's I had, I just needed to move forward to something that works efficiantly more than 70% of the time and withouth constant battery pulls and leaked OS upgrades.

No offense crackberry, some of these statements are just my opinon but alot are based on complete fact.
    Last edited by dankblaze; 12-22-10 at 07:26 PM.
    12-22-10 07:22 PM
    Now the notification system on a BB does trump all.. but not email
    I disagree completely. BB does not even have push notifications for the majority of 3rd party social apps (Twitter, Facebook ect) That right there negates your opinion. Sorry, as of right now android is destroying pretty much all of the compitition. If a company has something better, Google makes it their number one priority to be create a superior version.
    12-22-10 07:32 PM
    I disagree completely. BB does not even have push notifications for the majority of 3rd party social apps (Twitter, Facebook ect) That right there negates your opinion. Sorry, as of right now android is destroying pretty much all of the compitition. If a company has something better, Google makes it their number one priority to be create a superior version.
    this is kinda bad examples, facebook is push notification and my twitter app supported push too for BB

but, android is push for BOTH also so its not an advantage for BB or android really. its equal
    12-22-10 08:09 PM
    RIM and/or VZW need to get off their collective asses and start making some announcements regarding a S3, because Android phones will continue to eat their lunch if people don't know there's something worth waiting for.
    Agreed - and there is nothing solid about anything like a Torch or S3 out there for folks to grab on to... been pretty quiet.
    01-03-11 09:50 PM
    Thing is that BBs become a tool after the newness wears off. I have a BB Tour and it gets the job done but is unable to do a lot of things the Droids can. I would purchase a Torch if it weren't on AT&T. RIM may very well not be interested in moving beyond their corporate niche so as consumers we need to decide what we want. I personally want a phone that can work and play.

I've got a Droid 2 coming today. I'll keep my Tour around as a safety blanket.
    X2 on the Torch/AT&T... needs to be on VZ.
    01-03-11 09:52 PM
    I have no doubt that verizon will eventually get the storm 3 the question is when it is released will that many customers care or will the blackberry faithful have already moved on to different OS's.
    01-03-11 10:18 PM
    I got a 9530 and just want my f*cking Storm 3. Is this so freaking hard?
    that's all i'm saying man!
    01-04-11 12:10 AM
    that's all i'm saying man!
    It has been driving us all nuts. I fear that we won't see one announced until the new WES (whatever they are calling it now, BB World or something) and won't be able to actually buy it until summer 2011. That will really suck though. Many storm users will jump ship if this is the case.
    01-04-11 09:42 AM
    It has been driving us all nuts. I fear that we won't see one announced until the new WES (whatever they are calling it now, BB World or something) and won't be able to actually buy it until summer 2011. That will really suck though. Many storm users will jump ship if this is the case.
    I hate to say it but you are right. There will be no announcements from RIM except for the playbook. And that's not really an annoucement since we've seen tons of pics and videos already. I'm desprately hoping for a Sprint Torch.
    01-04-11 07:51 PM
    I think Verizon is having an elicit love affair with android, and is basically tell the Storm fans to shove it. It's pi$$ing me off, and I'm ready to switch carriers. I swore never to go to AT&T due to their crappy coverage, but that Torch is a smoking phone, and VZW all but ramming a droid down my throat every other day with some flyer, "You're eligable for upgrade, come by the new Droid X" or whatever the heck it is.

So much for customer care. VZW and Google bed buddies.......
    01-06-11 12:43 PM
    RIM and/or VZW need to get off their collective asses and start making some announcements regarding a S3, because Android phones will continue to eat their lunch if people don't know there's something worth waiting for.
    I do not think VZW cares about another BB phone. The Driod phones are selling and giving people what they want. BB's newest phone is carrier specific which tells me that they shoved their nose at VZW.

VZW can care less about iPHones as well since the driods are taking their market share away as well.
    01-07-11 07:57 AM
    I think Verizon is having an elicit love affair with android, and is basically tell the Storm fans to shove it. It's pi$$ing me off, and I'm ready to switch carriers. I swore never to go to AT&T due to their crappy coverage, but that Torch is a smoking phone, and VZW all but ramming a droid down my throat every other day with some flyer, "You're eligable for upgrade, come by the new Droid X" or whatever the heck it is.

The Torch was a design team effor by AT&T and RIM which is why VZW doesn't have it. Don't forget the iPhone went propriatary with their carriers as well and the iPhone is not even in many discussion for hot Smartphones any longer.

I don't think RIM will even stick with the storm platform and stay with their more business look with full querty keyboards. Besides once they decide to come out with another phone they will be about a year behind everyone else........
    01-07-11 08:01 AM

So in your world, this is VZW's fault?
    01-07-11 09:25 AM
    So in your world, this is VZW's fault?
    VZW is a monster. If they sent a clear message to RIM to p00p or get off the pot with a serious S3, RIM would jump at their order.

The fact that VZW hasn't used a financial cattle prod on RIM tells me they think the S3, if it ever arrives, won't be much of a draw.
    01-07-11 10:15 PM
    VZW is a monster. If they sent a clear message to RIM to p00p or get off the pot with a serious S3, RIM would jump at their order.

The fact that VZW hasn't used a financial cattle prod on RIM tells me they think the S3, if it ever arrives, won't be much of a draw.
    And they're right. How much of a success could a 9570 really be? Its barely a refresh. Imagine that thing sitting next to the new droid bionic and they have the same price tag. It would be like a car dealer trying to sell you a cobalt when the corvette next to it is the same price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 05:16 AM
    i have been a verizon storm owner from day one- waited in line. But now i have to think that the Storm will die on Verizon. Not RIM - but the storm. Why? because i believe that the iphone will grab all the storm users. Folks that like the blackberry for what a blackberry is- with a keyboard will stay on that device. Add to that that many enterprises insist on blackberry.

However the storm in my case was an iphone alternative since there was no iphone on verizon. i have to admit that i really do like the storm besides alot of the software issues that i have experienced over the years. But what i really find lacking on blackberry devices is the lack of apps for blackberry OS. Starting Feb 10th there is an alternative at an equivalent price point. How could one pick the Storm 3 (if its introduced) over an iPhone????

Not looking to get blasted but those are just my thoughts.
    01-12-11 08:21 PM
    i have been a verizon storm owner from day one- waited in line. But now i have to think that the Storm will die on Verizon. Not RIM - but the storm. Why? because i believe that the iphone will grab all the storm users. Folks that like the blackberry for what a blackberry is- with a keyboard will stay on that device. Add to that that many enterprises insist on blackberry.

However the storm in my case was an iphone alternative since there was no iphone on verizon. i have to admit that i really do like the storm besides alot of the software issues that i have experienced over the years. But what i really find lacking on blackberry devices is the lack of apps for blackberry OS. Starting Feb 10th there is an alternative at an equivalent price point. How could one pick the Storm 3 (if its introduced) over an iPhone????

Not looking to get blasted but those are just my thoughts.
    I am afraid you are right on the money. The BB users who are in love with the 9700 form factor or always reminisce about how great the 9000 was (there are tons of them on here) will stay with RIM no matter what. RIM does simple qwerty candy bar phones very well. However, the storm user looking for that touchscreen device is left in the wind and many of them will jump ship on VZW as there are much better touchscreen alternatives. Moreover, based on Mike L.'s comments re: super phones we are not likely going to see a QNX storm until 2012 at the earliest. He doesn't feel the current dual core processors are cost effective and provide enough battery life yet. We all know that it will take at least a year for the next version of dual core chips to come out. Mobile processors seem to take a good leap every full year or a little more. Maybe the battery life is an issue, but I don't buy cost as an excuse. The dual core droids will most likely come in at the same price VZW is selling the storm 2 at now ($200). That is the going rate for a high end smartphone on a 2 year contract.

RIM thought they could sneak by a storm 2 refresh but VZW didn't want it. I think that leaves RIM in the position where they have two options:

1. Forget about the storm line until QNX is up and running with dual core chips on their phone. They will lose many storm users to the iphone and droids and will hope to get them back in 2012 or 2013 (many will be on 2 year contracts);

2. Release an os 6 storm 3 with a slightly larger screen, maybe better resolution, mobile hotspot capable and a 1 ghz processor.

I think option #2 is the way to go for them if they can get it out by March or so. Waiting until May to announce it at Blackberry World (or whatever they renamed WES) doesn't make sense as it is not a flashy device. Just a stop gap and in many ways not on par with the iphone or droid because os 6 is ok, but not all it was cracked up to be. I have seen rumors of this type of device on the forums here and it may help keep some storm users engaged enough to keep them from moving away. Unfortunately for RIM, if they leave I think it's too hard to win them back with a QNX storm because they will be invested in another ecosystem by then. QNX will be nice, but who knows where ios and android will be sometime in 2012? I say get an os 6 storm with some better specs released ASAP so bb users have something to think about and upgrade to before they jump ship. RIM should also leak that it is coming so storm users know they have something to at least consider.
    01-12-11 11:07 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD