10-07-10 08:18 PM
53 123
tools
    It seems to me that vzw was preparing for a Storm replacement. For them to reject the 9570 is significant to me. Are they trying to force RIM into speeding the release of the next CDMA flagship device? Could we see a CDMA Torch coming to Verizon?
    A 9800 would make more sense, as you'd have the best of both worlds.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what a S2+ would have over a 9830, especially if the 9830 had European bands.

Most likely they will use the Torch to replace the Storm line (like what we're doing in Canada), then reintroduce the Storm as a high-end LTE phone with a little bit bigger screen.
    10-01-10 12:49 PM
    Dissapointed, but not surprised. I also think that the title for this tread isnt right either. Storm 3 and the Storm 2 refresh (the canceled device) are supposedly 2 different devices, but I guess only time will tell. Just cause VZW dropped it doesnt mean that another CDMA carrier wont pick it up, Telus?

Matt, whens was the last time you picked up your 9550?? Moving it into a drawer doesn't count.
    10-01-10 02:47 PM
    Storm line... Lol, left the Bold line for this cluster. I never would have bought a S2.1 after having a S2. I'm sure even RIM employees had to know that coming from much backlash early on. Glad to see it pulled/rejected by VZW. If I'm going to stay with VZW, RIM needs to light a fire under their asses! I'm a Berry, but thinking of another fruit...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 02:48 PM
    Just cause VZW dropped it doesnt mean that another CDMA carrier wont pick it up, Telus?
    Telus already has the 9800 and the don't appear to be interested in CDMA Blackberrys.
    10-01-10 03:39 PM
    well at this point it might not be too smart for big red to be pushing the S2 refresh with their pending rollout of LTE. Hopefully the real S3 will be an LTE device and VZ is just waiting for that. can you imagine how many people would be crying "I just bought my S2 3 months ago I should get a free upgrade" They are just saving themselves some headaches. I dont blame them
    10-01-10 04:12 PM
    Telus already has the 9800 and the don't appear to be interested in CDMA Blackberrys.
    Really? Thats why they have had almost every single cdma blackberry ever made??
    10-03-10 12:48 AM
    Really? Thats why they have had almost every single cdma blackberry ever made??
    They never bothered with the Tour2, and statistically they always chose to offer the HSPA counterpart of similar phone lines.
    They haven't launched a 9330, nor a 9130.
    Even for their Android/WinMo devices, if there's a HSPA version they take the HSPA version

Please prove when they launched the CDMA version of a phone when the HSPA counterpart was another viable option.
    10-03-10 03:25 AM
    They never bothered with the Tour2, and statistically they always chose to offer the HSPA counterpart of similar phone lines.
    They haven't launched a 9330, nor a 9130.
    Even for their Android/WinMo devices, if there's a HSPA version they take the HSPA version

Please prove when they launched the CDMA version of a phone when the HSPA counterpart was another viable option.
    I can totally agree with that. Your first reply made it sound like they never were or had been. It does seem like they really don't have any new cdma devices. it seems like the cdma devices kinda died for them after the 9550 except for the 8530. I was not trying to call you out. Just took your post wrong.

Last edited by hydroz_23; 10-03-10 at 03:37 AM.
    10-03-10 03:33 AM
    honestly, vzw turning down
    the 9570 for me is sad i was actually looking forward to OS6, more memory & a better camera. I got the s1 on launch day n stayed with it until a couple days after the s2 launched. I love my s2 n love how my screen clicks .. i would've definitely gotten the refresh & later on went on to get the next storm, i can't see myself with a different fone & if this is the end of the storm line for vzw then i might have to change carriers (i hope not)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-03-10 05:42 AM
    honestly, vzw turning down
    the 9570 for me is sad i was actually looking forward to OS6, more memory & a better camera. I got the s1 on launch day n stayed with it until a couple days after the s2 launched. I love my s2 n love how my screen clicks .. i would've definitely gotten the refresh & later on went on to get the next storm, i can't see myself with a different fone & if this is the end of the storm line for vzw then i might have to change carriers (i hope not)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Just wait for the 9830.
    the only difference is a keyboard and a trackpad.
    10-03-10 01:58 PM
    Just wait for the 9830.
    the only difference is a keyboard and a trackpad.
    Storm owners don't want a keyboard. We love our click screen. If RIM doesn't release another storm device on Verizon, I most likely won't leave Verizon, however, will get an android most likely...
    10-03-10 03:33 PM
    Storm owners don't want a keyboard. We love our click screen. If RIM doesn't release another storm device on Verizon, I most likely won't leave Verizon, however, will get an android most likely...
    ... I fail to see the logic in the fact that if You cannot get a Blackberry with Suretype and no slide out keyboard, you*would get a non-blackberry with no suretype and most likely a keyboard.
    10-03-10 05:11 PM
    he means he does NOT want a slider. he would give up the click for an all touch phone.

I really dont understand your reply to him....
    You cannot get a Blackberry with Suretype and no slide out keyboard
    that is exactly what a storm is. its SurePress, not suretype though
    10-03-10 05:36 PM
    he means he does NOT want a slider. he would give up the click for an all touch phone.

I really dont understand your reply to him....that is exactly what a storm is. its SurePress, not suretype though
    Exactly. Meant sure press, sorry. And the logic, to the person that inquired, would be the feature keeping me from going with another touch screen would be removed. the android phones are superior in many ways especially hardware (don't get me wrong love blackberry just being objective) and that tempts me to switch....

10-03-10 05:48 PM
    I am in the same boat. I upgrade my phone every year. I sell my old phone on ebay which basically pays for the upgrade. That's what I have done for the past three times. Recently it was: Pearl to Storm and then Storm to Storm2.... Now it's getting close to my annual upgrade date and this news is bad...

I have gotten to love a new phone in October or November. I also have decided I love a touch screen phones... So RIM what is coming before thanksgiving that is touch and has OS 6.0 on Verizon?

I probably will get the HTC Merge or Droid Pro, then wait another year and maybe RIM will have another touch screen BlackBerry... I like BlackBerry. I love my Storm2...

But the urge to have something new every year I think will hurt my allegiance this year. I just love getting that new box and playing around with it all weekend. It's become my tradition Bummer too... Oh well!
    10-03-10 06:58 PM
    I do the same thing. Kill hours figuring everything and and learning and the great details lol

10-03-10 07:04 PM
    Bingo, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I have faith (ok, ok, "hope") that there will be an S3, just not so soon. I can't imagine VZW having no touchscreen offerings from RIM, since AT&T has the Torch. I'm patient though, I'd rather wait and have a 3 with better hardware (as Howermat mentioned) and revised software, than taking on something that's too buggy. My S2 keeps me happy.

well at this point it might not be too smart for big red to be pushing the S2 refresh with their pending rollout of LTE. Hopefully the real S3 will be an LTE device and VZ is just waiting for that. can you imagine how many people would be crying "I just bought my S2 3 months ago I should get a free upgrade" They are just saving themselves some headaches. I dont blame them
    10-03-10 07:06 PM
    Why is everyone screaming about LTE when the LTE rollout will NOT be completed until, at least 2013?
    10-03-10 07:11 PM
    Plus does anyone think RIM's OS can handle LTE data speeds? Maybe when QNX BlackBerry OS comes out... But not until then... They can't even use all of what 3G gives us... Maybe OS 6 can help with that... I don't know... But OS 5 performs just about as good as being on 1X vs EVDO.
    10-03-10 07:19 PM
    Plus does anyone think RIM's OS can handle LTE data speeds? Maybe when QNX BlackBerry OS comes out... But not until then... They can't even use all of what 3G gives us... Maybe OS 6 can help with that... I don't know... But OS 5 performs just about as good as being on 1X vs EVDO.
    maybe where you are but my 3G is much better that 1X by far and my battery will agree with that too
    10-03-10 07:27 PM
    Really? When you browse the Web? Really? I wait just about the same time on full bar 3G vs full bar 1X... That's because you always are waiting for the rendering of the page vs downloading.... Supposedly the webkit will fix that... But I have my doubts.
    10-03-10 07:29 PM
    i notice it more downloading picture attachments or the like actually. it will take forever to download a 1 MB picture via 1X where 3G can do it in 5 seconds at most
    10-03-10 07:55 PM
    maybe where you are but my 3G is much better that 1X by far and my battery will agree with that too
    agreed. Its nice not living in south Dakota.

10-03-10 08:03 PM
    Really? When you browse the Web? Really? I wait just about the same time on full bar 3G vs full bar 1X... That's because you always are waiting for the rendering of the page vs downloading.... Supposedly the webkit will fix that... But I have my doubts.
    Webkit really is night and day. You really will like it!

10-03-10 08:05 PM
    Why is everyone screaming about LTE when the LTE rollout will NOT be completed until, at least 2013?
    LTE is said to be launching on Verizon in mid November in roughly 30 markets. Most, if not all of these will be large markets such as San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle. This may not appeal to you but it affects many customers. Verizon's massive 3G market is said to all be LTE by 2013. It won't take long for Verizon's LTE network to cover more customers than AT&T's current crappy 3G network IMO.

10-03-10 08:57 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD