It's looking more and more like RIM won't be announcing the S3 at CES and even if we do see one it will most likely be one with OS6 instead of QNX.
    I just don't understand how they can put their consumer touchscreen base on hold for who knows how freaking long, on the largest carrier Verizon. I mean seriously what are they thinking in keep delaying this device and not believe they can not get hurt by it?

http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/15/will-s...ontent=Twitter
    If the IPhone is announced at CES, no one is gonna give a crap about RIM showing off the Playbook again, since it's been done over and over again already with nothing new to show. Also, Steve Handjobs could get on stage and announce the verizon iPhone and then also mention the iPad2 specs, which I know probably won't happen, but this would completely make Rim look like a cavemen.
    I mean when is RIM gonna wake up and see the reality of what is going on here??
    12-15-10 01:27 PM
    I thought I had legitimate questions in my post but I guess not since no one seems to wanna go along with the arguement?? HAHA
    If RIM releases a S3 at CES with OS6 I still see this as a fail IMO. While OS6 is better with the Webkit, it's still not the App rich OS that is gonna be able to compete with these other smartphones that are on the market. Therefore that's why we need the QNX Storm to be announced soon if not at CES.
    RIM really better have something up their sleeve, otherwise all this no leak stuff to maybe show us another crappy S3 is gonna be a huge joke.
    Last edited by MattyG27; 12-21-10 at 11:35 AM.
    12-21-10 11:22 AM
    I thought I had legitimate questions in my post but I guess not since no one seems to wanna go along with the arguement?? HAHA
    If RIM releases a S3 at CES with OS6 I still see this as a fail IMO. While OS6 is better with the Webkit, it's still not the App rich OS that is gonna be able to compete with these other smartphones that are on the market. Therefore that's why we need the QNX Storm to be announced soon if not at CES.
    RIM really better have something up their sleeve, otherwise all this no leak stuff to maybe show us another crappy S3 is gonna be a huge joke.
    Oh Matty, we ALL feel for you, and us; I think most people are just tired of "kicking a dead horse!" No matter how much we wish for it, until something "concrete" is leaked, it is just speculation, and we have "speculated" this one to death! I guess we'll see if there really is a Santa Claus, ha!
    Rello likes this.
    12-21-10 12:40 PM
    I mentioned in a couple other posts but RIM and VZW must be on non speaking terms right now. the nations largest network is looking like another year with jack and crap for RIM releases.
    12-21-10 12:43 PM
    I just don't understand how they can put their consumer touchscreen base on hold for who knows how freaking long, on the largest carrier Verizon. I mean seriously what are they thinking in keep delaying this device and not believe they can not get hurt by it?
    Maybe they're trying to develop a real touchscreen Storm, and not another incarnation of the lame "clicky screen" that the technologically regressed seem to latch on to.

+1 BB6 on Storm will be a flop, they can't get OS5 to run right.
    12-21-10 12:45 PM
    OS6 on it would be fine with me AS LONG AS THEY BUILD IT TO BE ADAPTABLE TO THE QNX SOFTWARE WHEN IT'S RELEASED - as a software upgrade per se (but we all know RIM's track record with building enough hardware into a device to adapt to up coming changes) so I think they are doomed

I have looked seriously at the other markets for something compatible to upgrade to in my near future but have yet to find the device that suits me (I want to stick to touchscreens on Verizon)

As much as I dislike Apple - a Verizon Iphone is looking better and better
    12-21-10 01:01 PM
    The way I look at it is, we could still see a QNX Storm running on a single core 1ghz processor contrary to everyone believing that we won't see it till RIM starts getting dual core chips like ML implied. I do think that had to be some kinda tactic, cause I'm giving them some respect here and hoping they aren't that nieve to think they can wait another almost half a year to give us a competitive touchscreen phone.
    My thinking is that the Playbook was first announced to be dual core, however in some demo videos we were told that the PB that was being demoed was only on a single core chip. Therefore since the QNX Storm should really just be a smaller version of the PB, maybe they could have a lite or shrinked QNX OS running on a single core chip for the Storm and it still would run smoothly.
    This is why I feel like they COULD pull out a QNX S3 at CES and surprise us all, while making us VERY happy. Otherwise, if I get another OS6 piece of junk I'm gonna be very disappointed.
    12-21-10 01:14 PM
    It's been established (albeit by rumor) that there was a storm refresh that was a real thing and got canceled. After that, there would be an all new OS storm. That new OS is QNX, that we know.

What has yet to be seen is what will be announced at CES, and when the QNX or QNX capable Storm will be announced. All the hush hush, no rumor, no news, would lend itself more to some big reveal sometime soon. Maybe CES, maybe not.
    But you wouldn't make a huge effort to muffle the rumor mill, just so people don't find out about the memory upgrade you're blessing their outdated devices with.

I don't claim to know anything, but logic can be used to draw some practical, non-emotional conclusions. I guess we will all have to go on holiday, celebrate, then stress through one more week of work before we know something either way.
    justme71 likes this.
    12-21-10 01:25 PM
    mimimi?
    xD
    12-21-10 01:28 PM
    It's been established (albeit by rumor) that there was a storm refresh that was a real thing and got canceled. After that, there would be an all new OS storm. That new OS is QNX, that we know.

What has yet to be seen is what will be announced at CES, and when the QNX or QNX capable Storm will be announced. All the hush hush, no rumor, no news, would lend itself more to some big reveal sometime soon. Maybe CES, maybe not.
    But you wouldn't make a huge effort to muffle the rumor mill, just so people don't find out about the memory upgrade you're blessing their outdated devices with.

I don't claim to know anything, but logic can be used to draw some practical, non-emotional conclusions. I guess we will all have to go on holiday, celebrate, then stress through one more week of work before we know something either way.
    Guerrillacycles if you were responding to me on this, believe me I already know all the info and rumors you speak of
    It hasn't actually been established or not established by rumor or whatever that the next Storm will def be QNX either. There was (rumored)supposed to be 3 devices they were working on, one was the refresh( that was cancelled) another was one with no SurePress and the other was the QNX one. The only thing we can demise at this point in time is that the next Storm probably won't be the same form factor as the Odin with SurePress, just with OS6 as the upgrade.
    However the next Storm will most likely be a new form factor, but lately it's been talked about that it may actually have OS6, since QNX according to ML, can't run on a 1ghz processor, which it's been rumored to have.
    Too much rumors and speculation in one post on this dead horse.
    Got all that???
    12-21-10 03:02 PM
    Less blah blah blah more Storm 3 released please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat likes this.
    12-21-10 03:51 PM
    I just got my hands on an S2 for the low price of $37 to replace the Digitizer. (A vp in my company busted it so he could get a torch, LOL)

So once the part arrives and if I can successfully repair it, that will tide me over a bit to see how the first half of 2011 goes. I still think I am going Android, but my company may tighten up the restrictions and then it would iPhone on VZW or Storm 3.

I agree with all of you, but I think RIM is thinking long term here with QNX. They want to unveil the next 5 years or so. They are going to take the hits they are taking now, but go for the kill shot.

It will all depend on how good their shot is. And I keep saying this but they have to offer better document integration. BES 7 has to have some solid SharePoint, file share integration capabilities and BB7 has to have a good native socument viewer/editor. Otherwise WP7 may take a chunk out of their a$$

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 07:31 AM
    It hasn't actually been established or not established by rumor or whatever that the next Storm will def be QNX either. There was (rumored)supposed to be 3 devices they were working on, one was the refresh( that was cancelled) another was one with no SurePress and the other was the QNX one. The only thing we can demise at this point in time is that the next Storm probably won't be the same form factor as the Odin with SurePress, just with OS6 as the upgrade.
    However the next Storm will most likely be a new form factor, but lately it's been talked about that it may actually have OS6, since QNX according to ML, can't run on a 1ghz processor, which it's been rumored to have.
    As long as the new devices make a serious jump in hw I won't be too worried if they ship with some version of os6 rather than qnx, it gives them more time to get the radio stack for the qnx os up to the standards we would expect from them and also to get a version of it that is happy to run on whatever hw is in these new devices as a later upgrade much like the os6 upgrade we are waiting to see on numerous devices at the moment.
    12-30-10 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD