01-10-11 06:53 PM
44 12
tools
    Device 1 = Odin refresh running OS6
    Device 2 = Storm 3 running OS6
    Actually... from what I've heard, the testers of that 2nd device said that is was specifically NOT OS6 but a totally new OS with widgets, etc...

I'm assuming that OS was either some sort of QNX OS, or just a totally different touch screen operating system (for Storm only) that RIM probably scrapped once QNX started to take form on the PB.

Odin refresh was a joke... the S2's hardware malfunctions just as much as its software... and surpess with OS6, in my opinion would probably just feel weird... the surpess system with OS5 just don't 'flow' well in my opinion as it is...

Honestly though, all we can really do is wait until CES in January. If RIM doesn't show us anything except for the Playbook... then we can start worrying about there really not being a new Storm device any time soon...
    12-12-10 12:07 AM
    actually there were plenty of rumors about the "blackpad" was coming for many months. So it was not a total shock to most of us
    Let me rephrase, meant we knew little about it other than a tablet was coming. Specs were jaw dropping by RIM's standards when revealed, but the more I hear Laz speak the more my hopes dwindle for RIM turning things around.
    12-12-10 12:08 AM
    Let me rephrase, meant we knew little about it other than a tablet was coming. Specs were jaw dropping by RIM's standards when revealed, but the more I hear Laz speak the more my hopes dwindle for RIM turning things around.
    that i agree with, i think we all were shocked about the specs
    12-12-10 12:09 AM
    Same here my mouth dropped lol.
    12-12-10 02:34 PM
    Actually... from what I've heard, the testers of that 2nd device said that is was specifically NOT OS6 but a totally new OS with widgets, etc...

I'm assuming that OS was either some sort of QNX OS, or just a totally different touch screen operating system (for Storm only) that RIM probably scrapped once QNX started to take form on the PB.

Odin refresh was a joke... the S2's hardware malfunctions just as much as its software... and surpess with OS6, in my opinion would probably just feel weird... the surpess system with OS5 just don't 'flow' well in my opinion as it is...

Honestly though, all we can really do is wait until CES in January. If RIM doesn't show us anything except for the Playbook... then we can start worrying about there really not being a new Storm device any time soon...
    If this other touchscreen OS wasn't the QNX OS I wish they still would've kept it. I understand it was probably very unreasonable to do this after they got QNX, however this S3 that's gonna come out with OS6 is still gonna be a disappointment like the refresh was even if it has a different design, no surepress and dual cameras.
    I understand I'm making an assumption here about the S3 that may not be true but it looks like this may be the case after Mike's interview at All things Digital. He keeps reiterating that QNX needs dual core and we won't see dual core chips for sometime. RIM can't afford to wait for these processors to come in order to release the S3 either.
    IMO OS6 sucks and I would've loved to see this other touchscreen OS that they were developing. Now I also could be completely wrong and maybe this other touchscreen OS has a qnx kernel all along. I just really don't want a S3 with OS6 at all.
    12-12-10 02:47 PM
    Mikey said yesterday QNX requires a dual core processor to run and RIM has none right now. So the Storm 3 - if it is coming - aint QNX. For that matter, given that the Torch, RIM's flagship device, is still running the same CPU found in the Bold 9000 from 2 years ago; its hard to see RIM getting a dual core handheld built tested and to market within the next 12 months.

Not only is this, I believe a death knell for a Storm3, but likely for RIM as well. The corporate world is shifting slowly and tilting significantly away from Enterprise and toward Exchange. The only thing in my very humble opinion that would have changed that was a Storm type device released with a solid UI, and at least IOS or Froyo required hardware.

Why shouldnt there be a "lite" QNX-version...
    And after all we heard (and if its true) the last few weeks, we won`t see QNX before Q3-Q4 2011 on a phone...
    12-13-10 12:10 PM
    but why a "lite" versiom. It wouldnt be to load on devices out there and knowing RIM, if they make a "lite" version they think it should be good to hold people over for atleast 1 year. Meaning it would be like 1.5 years before they get a full version on dual core. If they are going to do it then make them do it full out the first time and step up the game now. Focus only on that. Then we should see dual core with QNX sooner.
    12-13-10 01:00 PM
    To me, OS6 is nothing more then OS5 but with webkit browser which sounds great but after playing with it, it's not as good as Android's Browser and iOS. Way too much hype on OS6 and webkit browser.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-13-10 05:50 PM
    To me, OS6 is nothing more then OS5 but with webkit browser which sounds great but after playing with it, it's not as good as Android's Browser and iOS. Way too much hype on OS6 and webkit browser.
    Totally agree.
    Its definitely a step up from OS5, but its still way behind the times!

But then again, if the phone has a 1Ghz processor, and a lot of internal memory, then couldn't a really awesome theme do just as well? I mean with the google search app, Vlingo, etc etc... with a theme and the power to run smoothly, wouldn't OS6 be almost just as good as an android phone or an iPhone?
    mkye86 likes this.
    12-13-10 09:28 PM
    Totally agree.
    Its definitely a step up from OS5, but its still way behind the times!

But then again, if the phone has a 1Ghz processor, and a lot of internal memory, then couldn't a really awesome theme do just as well? I mean with the google search app, Vlingo, etc etc... with a theme and the power to run smoothly, wouldn't OS6 be almost just as good as an android phone or an iPhone?
    This may have to due cause according to CX we won't be seeing a QNX phone at CES, he actually didn't even mention a phone announcement there at all, just PB stuff. Therefore it's looking more and more likely were going to be seeing some sort of refreash S3 with OS6 still. Cause I just don't see them waitin till Q2 without a touchscreen device on Verizon. However, if they do there are gonna be a whole lot of pissed off Storm chasers.
    12-13-10 09:42 PM
    Mikey said yesterday QNX requires a dual core processor to run and RIM has none right now. So the Storm 3 - if it is coming - aint QNX. For that matter, given that the Torch, RIM's flagship device, is still running the same CPU found in the Bold 9000 from 2 years ago; its hard to see RIM getting a dual core handheld built tested and to market within the next 12 months.

Not only is this, I believe a death knell for a Storm3, but likely for RIM as well. The corporate world is shifting slowly and tilting significantly away from Enterprise and toward Exchange. The only thing in my very humble opinion that would have changed that was a Storm type device released with a solid UI, and at least IOS or Froyo required hardware.

What you have said about QNX requires a dual core processor to run is completely false. If you go to the QNX website you will see all the supported CPUs for the OS and there are single core chips that are supported. This OS is capable of running on just about any CPU.
    01-08-11 10:26 AM
    that is in different applications. Mike said he doesnt want a BB to run QNX on a single core BB. That is all the OP is saying.
    1magine likes this.
    01-08-11 11:27 AM
    What you have said about QNX requires a dual core processor to run is completely false. If you go to the QNX website you will see all the supported CPUs for the OS and there are single core chips that are supported. This OS is capable of running on just about any CPU.
    You obviously didn't see the video where Mike said only the dual core BlackBerry smartphones will run QNX. The QNX website says nothing about upcoming BlackBerry devices.
    1magine likes this.
    01-08-11 12:49 PM
    Might be true that QNX CAN run on a single core device, but like CASH said... RIM isn't going to release qnx on any single core devices because of battery life and stuff.
    I wouldn't go to the QNX site to see what RIM is planning... go to the RIM website and RIM's CEO...
    1magine likes this.
    01-08-11 04:02 PM
    I know when the storm 3 dual core LTE will be released just watch when every other manufacture is releasing their 3 core 5g phone
    01-08-11 08:48 PM
    Well - I've been working all day and was going to come in here and slap you down a bit for not reading my post and not paying any attention to what the CEO of RIM is saying, but since others have already politely corrected you, I will just move on.
    01-09-11 12:37 AM
    I know when the storm 3 dual core LTE will be released just watch when every other manufacture is releasing their 3 core 5g phone
    That has been my argument all along. We know for sure there is no RIM lte phones being developed right now , visa vie rim's own admission... Of course they are careful not to say there won't ever be one.

That said, we are assured of no lte phones at least thru most of this year. I define "having" a product as it being on the shelf, available now . Not "being developed" and not a mock up held by Balsillie on a stage while he makes grandiose claims about what is coming .

So... Given rim's slow rate of releasing anythin new, I can only conclude that those fellows believe that the competition will sit in stagnant waters and not go anywhere (produce or develop anything new) whil RIM takes its sweet time releasing what it wants in its own time frame... not the consumers. A recipe for failure for many companies in years gone by.

In my minds eye I see a company working in an underground factory to develop the world's best biplane; when it resurfaces after many years and says to the world "Ta da!" they are drowned out by the roar of jets zooming back and forth across the sky.

Accurate enough?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    1magine likes this.
    01-10-11 11:16 AM
    I think you make a great point. Though RIM might feel they are making an amazing phone, i think to many people are going to leave Blackberry for other products. I currently have Storm 1 and i have been patiently waiting now for months for a new phone. I have considered a few times to buy an android, but i know 4G was coming soon so I did not. I would love to have a 4G Blackberry, but i have a feeling i am either going to wait for have to switch to a Android.

That has been my argument all along. We know for sure there is no RIM lte phones being developed right now , visa vie rim's own admission... Of course they are careful not to say there won't ever be one.

That said, we are assured of no lte phones at least thru most of this year. I define "having" a product as it being on the shelf, available now . Not "being developed" and not a mock up held by Balsillie on a stage while he makes grandiose claims about what is coming .

So... Given rim's slow rate of releasing anythin new, I can only conclude that those fellows believe that the competition will sit in stagnant waters and not go anywhere (produce or develop anything new) whil RIM takes its sweet time releasing what it wants in its own time frame... not the consumers. A recipe for failure for many companies in years gone by.

In my minds eye I see a company working in an underground factory to develop the world's best biplane; when it resurfaces after many years and says to the world "Ta da!" they are drowned out by the roar of jets zooming back and forth across the sky.

Accurate enough?

01-10-11 06:43 PM

Accurate enough?

+100

RIM said at CES that they will be releasing phones in about 2-3 years that wil be able to compete with what was shown at CES. Light years in the mobile market place.

CO-CEOs both reiterate QNX requires dual core processors. Co-CEOs both reiterate dual core CPUS use too much battery. Co-CEOs both reiterate Playbook was 2-3 years in production and they are releasing BB OS7 before QNX. Yes there will be a dual core BB with QNX. It wil not be for 2-3 years.

2011 will see a dozen dual core smartphones released and nearly 50 (ten already announced and 4 already in existence) 4G smartphones. None will be a BB.

Put that propellor - it should be awesome.
    01-10-11 06:53 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD