01-10-11 06:53 PM
44 12
tools
    Mikey said yesterday QNX requires a dual core processor to run and RIM has none right now. So the Storm 3 - if it is coming - aint QNX. For that matter, given that the Torch, RIM's flagship device, is still running the same CPU found in the Bold 9000 from 2 years ago; its hard to see RIM getting a dual core handheld built tested and to market within the next 12 months.

Not only is this, I believe a death knell for a Storm3, but likely for RIM as well. The corporate world is shifting slowly and tilting significantly away from Enterprise and toward Exchange. The only thing in my very humble opinion that would have changed that was a Storm type device released with a solid UI, and at least IOS or Froyo required hardware.
    12-10-10 02:00 PM
    it's a tacit admission that they lost this "round" in the smartphone wars after winning them for years on end. They somehow believe they are going to "shock" the world and release a BB that is dual core with qnx. what they conveniently leave out is what andorid apple and wp7 are going to have out when this "finally" happens....let's say they get to UI and hardware parity. I have my doubts but let's "imagine". People are still going to choose their next device based on "apps" and "ecosystem"....
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-10-10 at 02:09 PM.
    12-10-10 02:03 PM
    It would be impossible for the LTE storm to not be QNX.
    LTE requires IPv6, whereas BBOS only supports IPv4.
    And Verizon has confirmed that they will be launching a LTE Blackberry, which is the LTE Storm)
    The only iff is that the Qualcomm MSM 8960, the ONLY EVDO/LTE Dual-core Cortex A9 chip, won't be shipping until 2010. I'm trying to pin down details, but this most likely means that the Storm won't arrive until the latter half of Verizon's LTE Smartphone launch.
    12-10-10 03:20 PM
    And Verizon has confirmed that they will be launching a LTE Blackberry, which is the LTE Storm)
    The only iff is that the Qualcomm MSM 8960, the ONLY EVDO/LTE Dual-core Cortex A9 chip, won't be shipping until 2010. I'm trying to pin down details, but this most likely means that the Storm won't arrive until the latter half of Verizon's LTE Smartphone launch.
    lte is not going to be the volume phone. i wonder are they just going to keep pushing out these BBs for the mainstream 3g market? don't know about that strategy....
    12-10-10 03:28 PM
    lte is not going to be the volume phone. i wonder are they just going to keep pushing out these BBs for the mainstream 3g market? don't know about that strategy....
    From what I can gather BB6 will be used on lower-end devices for another year or two, and higher end devices will be upgraded to QNX (LTE Storm, Torch, Bold and/or Bold Touch)
    12-10-10 03:59 PM
    Graham so what your saying is we most likely won't be seeing a S3 in Jan or feb range?
    With all this secrecy, is it possible that the dual core Qualcomm chip could already be in Rim's hands and is being mass produced in devices? Since it's also been said that they are working on several other QNX powered phones.
    12-10-10 04:10 PM
    Graham so what your saying is we most likely won't be seeing a S3 in Jan or feb range?
    With all this secrecy, is it possible that the dual core Qualcomm chip could already be in Rim's hands and is being mass produced in devices? Since it's also been said that they are working on several other QNX powered phones.
    I really don't know. I remember it being rumored that the LTE Storm will be one of the first three LTE smartphones to launch though. It just was as far as I'm aware there is only one possible processor that it will run, which won't be available until some time 2010. Does that mean it will be finalized in 2010? Going to manufacturers in 2010? launching on devices in 2010? I don't know.
    12-10-10 04:20 PM
    I can confirm for you that RIM has not placed an order for dual core mobile processors.

That is not to say they may not have several one offs in testing on various devices. But as far as having a single QNX handheld close enough to begin production testing -?- NO. Not a single one. Anyone thinking that they will see a Storm series device release with a dual core cpu and QNX before Q4 2011 is dreaming.
    12-10-10 06:14 PM
    I can confirm for you that RIM has not placed an order for dual core mobile processors.

That is not to say they may not have several one offs in testing on various devices. But as far as having a single QNX handheld close enough to begin production testing -?- NO. Not a single one. Anyone thinking that they will see a Storm series device release with a dual core cpu and QNX before Q4 2011 is dreaming.
    I guess we have to take all of these rumors with a grain of salt (and yes, unless you can back your statement up, your statement about not having a QNX device within the year is also just rumor).
    Because we have heard from a couple different sources saying that RIM is already testing devices with the QNX software (or at least devices that are ready for the QNX software to be uploaded to them) and that these devices will ship Q2 2011 (and will be announced at WES (or whatever its being called now)).

I say we just wait until January and CES to see what RIM and VZW are planning...
    12-10-10 06:49 PM
    Where do you get this junk?!
    "Qualcomm MSM 8960, the ONLY EVDO/LTE Dual-core Cortex A9 chip"

First off the TI OMAP 4430/4430 is an SOC on its own with ability to change out the radio chip. I'm sure the other Cortex A9 suppliers: Samsung, etc can deliver. Stop thinking that ONLY Qualcomm is capable of making CDMA based mobile cpu's ... as they are not.
    12-10-10 07:53 PM
    Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of excitement about getting a QNX phone soon I don't think it will happen. RIM is investing in keeping os6 around for the next year. Lazaridis indicated at the D: Dive into Mobile conference where he was showing off the playbook that he expects there to be two oses, one for phones and one for tablets, for quite a while. He will wait for dual and quad core smart phones before they put QNX on a blackberry. While there may be some early dual core phones releasing Q1 2011, I think he was referring to when dual and quad cores are the standard. I also think he means he sees a powerful os, like QNX, working better on the playbook and the phones will remain with the more simple os6 for now.

This makes sense as releasing a QNX storm with the playbook could eat into playbook sales as buyers would opt for one or another. I would not be surprised if the next storm has 1 ghz processor with a 5 megapixel camera and os6 launching in early 2011. I am not thrilled with that as I really want a completely new os, but it wouldn't surprise me if the next storm is just a torch with a better processor, mobile hot spot and without a physical keyboard. If they had a big game changing device ready to launch early in 2011 they would have announced something to stop a ton of users from leaving prior to the holidays (like they did by announcing the playbook months early).
    12-11-10 02:46 PM
    That does make sense...
    but OS6 is a good OS ... it just needs to be coupled with good hardware specs (1Ghz processor and a high quality, large screen).

Also, it seems as though apps should be able to run better on OS6 than OS5 (I'm hoping some android apps like Google Goggles and some others get ported to BB App world (which needs a HUGE revamp imo... we need more apps that are standard on Droid phones and apps that are 'essential' to an iPhone user).

But, I would be perfectly happy getting an OS6 S3 as long as it has the hardware specs mentioned above.
    12-11-10 08:16 PM
    os6 is a dissappointment. Its the same OS as before with a different theme for the most part
    12-11-10 08:25 PM
    Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of excitement about getting a QNX phone soon I don't think it will happen. RIM is investing in keeping os6 around for the next year. Lazaridis indicated at the D: Dive into Mobile conference where he was showing off the playbook that he expects there to be two oses, one for phones and one for tablets, for quite a while. He will wait for dual and quad core smart phones before they put QNX on a blackberry. While there may be some early dual core phones releasing Q1 2011, I think he was referring to when dual and quad cores are the standard. I also think he means he sees a powerful os, like QNX, working better on the playbook and the phones will remain with the more simple os6 for now.

This makes sense as releasing a QNX storm with the playbook could eat into playbook sales as buyers would opt for one or another. I would not be surprised if the next storm has 1 ghz processor with a 5 megapixel camera and os6 launching in early 2011. I am not thrilled with that as I really want a completely new os, but it wouldn't surprise me if the next storm is just a torch with a better processor, mobile hot spot and without a physical keyboard. If they had a big game changing device ready to launch early in 2011 they would have announced something to stop a ton of users from leaving prior to the holidays (like they did by announcing the playbook months early).
    2011 super phones, some with dual core, are already "leaking"....LG leaked a tegra2 phone today on engadget. you are right. if rim had something in the "bag" we would be seeing signs of it.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-11-10 at 09:06 PM.
    12-11-10 08:42 PM
    2011 super h, some with dual core, are already "leaking"....LG leaked a tegra2 phone today on engadget. you are right. if rim had something in the "bad" we would be seeing signs of it.
    Yes, but we also had no signs that a PlayBook was coming before it was announced either.
    makaveli28 likes this.
    12-11-10 08:51 PM
    actually there were plenty of rumors about the "blackpad" was coming for many months. So it was not a total shock to most of us
    12-11-10 08:57 PM

The main problem with your theory is that Verizon already had a Storm 2.5 and a Storm 3 all ready to go many months ago with OS6 and never launched them. Why on earth would they have waited 6 months to launch phones that they already had? Just wanting to lose even more market share to iOS and Android?
    12-11-10 09:59 PM
    The main problem with your theory is that Verizon already had a Storm 2.5 and a Storm 3 all ready to go many months ago with OS6 and never launched them. Why on earth would they have waited 6 months to launch phones that they already had? Just wanting to lose even more market share to iOS and Android?
    umm where is your proof of this
    12-11-10 10:03 PM
    umm where is your proof of this
    Are you kidding? Try searching. Tons of official info from Verizon about the Odin refresh (along with spec sheets) as well as many testers using the Storm 3.
    12-11-10 10:08 PM
    yes the "refresh" but i wouldnt consider that the storm 3, storm 2 refresh would be the best
    12-11-10 10:23 PM
    yes the "refresh" but i wouldnt consider that the storm 3, storm 2 refresh would be the best
    Um, try reading my post again. I never said that the Odin refresh was the Storm 3.
    12-11-10 10:26 PM
    Are you kidding? Try searching. Tons of official info from Verizon about the Odin refresh (along with spec sheets) as well as many testers using the Storm 3.
    so what is this device then?
    12-11-10 10:29 PM
    so what is this device then?
    Device 1 = Odin refresh running OS6
    Device 2 = Storm 3 running OS6
    12-11-10 10:34 PM
    I definitely think Verizon has pushed android over blackberry for the last year. If you go into any verizon corp. store they will shove it in your face. I also think when they get the iphone all of the reps will be pushing that. However, RIM did not do itself any favors with that refresh of the storm 2 that was scheduled for release this fall and got canned by verizon. I love the storm series and probably would of picked one up to hold me over until a newer better storm came around. However, most buyers don't want a stop gap device. The specs of that refresh were universally mocked and even killed by our own crackberry community. I do think verizon has made it more difficult for RIM, but RIM has offered compelling products on verizon either. I know it is hard for one company to keep up with so many companies churning out android devices. However, the iphone just passed RIM's market share in the U.S. and it has less form factors than BlackBerry and is only on one carrier. The storm enticed a lot of verizon users to get their first blackberry and for many of them it will be their last. That's just sad.
    12-11-10 10:35 PM
    actually there were plenty of rumors about the "blackpad" was coming for many months. So it was not a total shock to most of us
    Around the same time there were rumours of a LTE Storm that was going on Verizon, and Verizon has admitted to be carrying a LTE Blackberry next year.
    But once the PlayBook was announced, the LTE Storm rumours were ignored and new leaks dried up.
    12-11-10 11:20 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD