03-03-15 08:36 PM
84 1234
tools
    If there's something to learn from the Passport launching its going to be A) people are still willing to think out of the box and investing in non-standard designs B) people are more willing to buy a high end hardware device and they appreciate it.

BlackBerry got to make a full touch high end.

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV and nt300 like this.
    02-17-15 01:58 AM
    I totally agree with you. A new Z10 and Z30 with high end specs will make users of these phones buy a new one with high end specs. And it may help users of others phones to come back to BB. Making them a bit thinner wouldn't hurt either. Just about 2 mm thinner.
    02-17-15 02:09 AM
    Well the Q10 didn't sell well. Neither did the Z10. The reason that the Z10 was more of a success was due to people wanting a a full screen touch device and this was the first that worked properly compared to the Storm devices. Of course not everybody wanted a all touch device however at that time a lot of BB user had already left for other phones like the samsung and Iphone. These phones were out performing BB and you didn't need to paid the extra 5 dollars as compared to the BB device. Ok this stopped with the BB10. However everybody I knew were already not happy wih BB at the time and had already had another device like a samsung or iphone. They told me that were glad they did the move and that they should had done the move much sooner. I hold on to BB and got the Z10. However don't forget the specs of the Z10 was already two years old when it came out and therefore not up for the job when competing against samsung and the iphone.

My friend who now uses a classic is not that enthusiastic about the phone. He doesn't get the the toolbelt. He was happy with the Q10 except for it turning off every time he made a phone call. I told him to trade it in for another or repaired as he still had warranty on the device.
    You know that you do not need to use the Track-pad if you do not want to. The Q10 has a smaller screen and was unreliable for many.
    02-17-15 11:47 AM
    Z10 refresher is a must.
    I can see distinct lines going forward.
    Z10 > Z?
    Z30 > Z50
    Q10 > Q30
    Passport > Passport 2 (Full Touch)
    Classic > Classic 2 then (End of Line)

That's what's unique about BBRY, they offer a good choice. Now that they are making a profit on hardware and controlling inventory.

Posted by Q5
    Yes, I too was hoping for the Z50! The Z30 is great, and I would love to see the next generation !

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    nt300 likes this.
    02-21-15 12:42 PM
    Yes, I too was hoping for the Z50! The Z30 is great, and I would love to see the next generation !

Z10 refresher is a must.
    I can see distinct lines going forward.
    Z10 > Z?
    Z30 > Z50
    Q10 > Q30
    Passport > Passport 2 (Full Touch)
    Classic > Classic 2 then (End of Line)

That's what's unique about BBRY, they offer a good choice. Now that they are making a profit on hardware and controlling inventory.

Posted by Q5
    I to can see this line going forward like this.

How with two different sized (small & big) tablet's as well outfitted with BB 10 and Blend

To sell multiple devices they all need the best chips, Batteries, nano sim cards and some kick *** camera's and they could loose 2 - 3 mm in thickness.

And some awesome marketing in Europe, UAE, USA and South America, Asia and of course Canada

The Big apps will probably then follow...
    nt300 likes this.
    02-21-15 01:49 PM
    Supposed to be a low end device for "selected" countries. A Z3 replacement.

But don't go the "it will be next" route. Z5, Kopi... Plenty of BB10 devices got the shaft and never hit the market.
    I think in this case, it will actually show up and more widely than the Z3, they need something to replace the z10 so a somewhat upgraded Z3 with LTE and a slightly better display could be an ideal fit for that.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-21-15 05:56 PM
    They have an LTE Z3, so I don't expect the Rio to be like that.

Since it's called Rio, I'd be hoping they are going to target Brasil heavily with that device, but that would be hoping too much.
    02-21-15 06:04 PM
    To sell multiple devices they all need the best chips, Batteries, nano sim cards and some kick *** camera's and they could loose 2 - 3 mm in thickness.
    For most of their sales it is more about the right price than higher specs and in the business market they are after, you would expect battery life to trump pointlessly shaving off a couple of mm from device thickness.
    02-21-15 06:06 PM
    I'm big fan of the Z10 and the Z30. The Z3 arrived later and was a more low end device according to me. Target for the Asia market. and upgraded Z3 ain't much of a device and I thing western countries want and high end device that can somewhat compete with Iphone and Android.
    02-21-15 06:07 PM
    I would support with idea, z10 size is perfect but needs to be better battery and processor. Weight also matters for deciding phone.

Prithvi Z30 10.3.1.2267 thru CB10
    Markus Mohr likes this.
    02-21-15 06:11 PM
    For most of their sales it is more about the right price than higher specs and in the business market they are after, you would expect battery life to trump pointlessly shaving off a couple of mm from device thickness.
    As a Engineer I can tell you batteries are getting better every year. It's also about how much you want to the battery to cost. A slight thinner battery in the Z10 can even have more power then the old one but what are the cost? When the Z10 came out there was already a battery to replace the one in the z10. That one was much better concerning the battery life. I didn't buy as replacing the original was with an brand not made by blackberry was going end the warranty. It's al about costs!
    02-21-15 06:16 PM
    Look folks, I have no doubt that BlackBerry is working on a high end all touch phone. But ask yourself a simple question. Outside the few hundred people posting on Crackberry, who is going to buy it? You need something to differentiate this device from the crowd. That is the battle, not some esoteric argument over hardware. They need something from a software perspective that is eye catching and functional. Hub and blend are a start but what I would really like to see is a fully functional bridge to a dumb tablet. A larger viewing screen that can drive my phone and control it's resources. Now that would be valuable especially if the tablet is cheap. That would catch people's attention.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 07:46 AM
    Look folks, I have no doubt that BlackBerry is working on a high end all touch phone. But ask yourself a simple question. Outside the few hundred people posting on Crackberry, who is going to buy it? You need something to differentiate this device from the crowd. That is the battle, not some esoteric argument over hardware. They need something from a software perspective that is eye catching and functional. Hub and blend are a start but what I would really like to see is a fully functional bridge to a dumb tablet. A larger viewing screen that can drive my phone and control it's resources. Now that would be valuable especially if the tablet is cheap. That would catch people's attention.

Posted via CB10
    I would suggest that a bridge to a dummy tablet is an idea that has almost no merit and market. A larger Tablet version of the Passport might have a small market.

They need an all touch phone with a better screen, camera and processor just to be on the same page as the mid tier devices of the competition. Despite of what you may read here on CB, Enterprise users want a good all touch iPhone 6/ Galaxy alternative.

Posted via CB10
    nt300 likes this.
    02-22-15 12:24 PM
    Enterprise users might care about specs, but, MOST enterprise buyers won't give a crap other than will it do what they need you to do on it and how cheap is the device since they're usually a bean counter who's more concerned with ROI than whether or not you're happy with your ability to do non job related functions on your phone. They're even happier if you BYOD and you outlay the money instead of them.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:42 PM
    Here in Canada the major influence seems to be that the company was still using a fleet of 9900's before and during 2014. They are more likely to keep on with BlackBerry.

While most Enterprise users prefer all touch there will be some users who still want a physical keyboard. I haven 't heard that price has been a factor unless the option is no new phone until your current unit dies. I agree that most Enterprise units do not care about specs except increasingly business users are wanting industry specific apps. This is the area where BlackBerry is in trouble.

To sum up. BlackBerry needs a new all touch and by 2016 a workable apps solution.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 03:05 PM
    I guess what I'm saying is the company rolled out Z10 and Z30 all touch and couldn't move enough to get carriers to stock them. Only reason they're making any phones is because nobody else makes a PKB device. I'm happy to upgrade my blackberry like most users with each new PKB device. I didn't even consider Blackberry for my all touch device when there are so many all touch options with all the apps waiting on Google play and IOS. As shareholder in Blackberry, I'm happy they stick to where their demand is and don't try and be something else and waste shareholder value or worse go under and I lose my value completely.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-22-15 04:00 PM
    I partially agree with you except I do feel there is a Z market. Even though they made too many Z10's for their market, their all touch devices were more popular overall than the Q's. I do hope that the Classic is popular but I would suggest it would be much more popular as a full blown Android.

I do admit that having AT&T stock the Classic / Passport strongly supports your views. The PKB phone favors the user who does a lot texting and emails.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 04:34 PM
    The problem is that Blackberry needs to sell a minimum number of a type of phone. If only Blackberry makes PKB, then people wanting PKB have to buy a Blackberry. Then people that are required to have Blackberry (like myself) have to get PKB whether they like it or not. That's why they're doing PKB so intently, they need to maximize single device volume like in the early days of Blackberry circa 2002/2003. Just like everyone complains about the apps. That's why they're doing Amazon. The company has no money to develop apps internally like the old days.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 06:27 PM
    I guess what I'm saying is the company rolled out Z10 and Z30 all touch and couldn't move enough to get carriers to stock them. Only reason they're making any phones is because nobody else makes a PKB device. I'm happy to upgrade my blackberry like most users with each new PKB device. I didn't even consider Blackberry for my all touch device when there are so many all touch options with all the apps waiting on Google play and IOS. As shareholder in Blackberry, I'm happy they stick to where their demand is and don't try and be something else and waste shareholder value or worse go under and I lose my value completely.

Posted via CB10
    Most BB10 device sales have been all touch. The OS was design as all touch from the ground up. PKB is a shrinking niche and I'm way faster in a BlackBerry VKB than I am on a BlackBerry PKB. I also think people are over estimating the "demand" for PKB BlackBerry devices. If there was this demand Q10, Classic and Passport sales would be way higher than they were/are.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:03 PM
    See my previous reply. Blackberry is pushing as much as they can to PKB since there's no competition for PKB. Focusing on phones with similar parts allows for lower per unit cost with greater volume. They gain nothing by entering a crowded all touch market with too much competition. The quantity of all touch phones they sold were not enough to make profit. The easiest volume they can Force on Enterprise is PKB. Once they've squeezed every penny of cash flow/profit from PKB, they probably still won't have the wiggle room to gamble on all touch device because of App gap. The only reason Blackberry still exists is for the dinosaurs that will pay for PKB when no one else offers it.

Posted via CB10
    enigma8817 likes this.
    02-22-15 09:37 PM
    See my previous reply. Blackberry is pushing as much as they can to PKB since there's no competition for PKB. Focusing on phones with similar parts allows for lower per unit cost with greater volume. They gain nothing by entering a crowded all touch market with too much competition. The quantity of all touch phones they sold were not enough to make profit. The easiest volume they can Force on Enterprise is PKB. Once they've squeezed every penny of cash flow/profit from PKB, they probably still won't have the wiggle room to gamble on all touch device because of App gap. The only reason Blackberry still exists is for the dinosaurs that will pay for PKB when no one else offers it.

Posted via CB10
    There is not competition because the market for PKB devices is minuscule now, and shrinking. They are losing Enterprise customers to all touch devices. In Federal space I'm seeing people choose Z10 and Z30 over Q10 because most people want touch screen devices, or they go to iPhone. A classic or expensive Passport isn't going to change their selection to PKB. You can make an all touch device cheaper than a PKB, and use the same internals that you would use in a PKB device. Without all touch devices they will lose enterprise customers. Focusing on a shrinking market and ignoring the growing market, and the customers that you converted to that growing market with the Z line is a recipe to kill off the handset division quickly.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-22-15 10:11 PM
    "In my first 90 days on the job, I consistently heard from our ardent BlackBerry customers that the hard buttons and trackpad are an essential part of the BlackBerry QWERTY experience, that made their BlackBerry smartphone their go-to productivity tool, Mr. Chen said in a statement."

For a smart guy, Mr. Chen overlooked the obvious. Just because the Q10 did not sell well it does not mean that the Classic will sell well. The reality was that a 3.1 inch screen was too small. If he wanted to build a popular key board phone he needed to abandon the square screen.

As lnichols stated, the OS is really designed for an all touch phone. I have to say that my Z10 is much better after the Feb 19th update. I am amazed with the improvement of the camera software, battery life particularly. Very pleased.

I do not think it is a question of either/ or. They need both all touch and physical keyboard devices to sell 10 million units a year.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-23-15 at 01:49 AM.
    02-23-15 12:51 AM
    I do not think it is a question of either/ or. They need both all touch and physical keyboard devices to sell 10 million units a year.
    This. They let the genie out of the bottle with the Z line and converted millions of existing PKB customers to all touch. They need both, they can easily make a PKB device and all touch device with almost all of the same components except the screen, and they need to make sure that as the market continues to move to all touch from feature phones and BBOS devices that they have an product to fill that requirement.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-23-15 03:57 AM
    I World like to See a q10 with the Keyboard from Passport !
    02-23-15 03:04 PM
    Where's my Z50 ?

02-23-15 03:08 PM
84 1234