I wonder if it's possible for BlackBerry to come out with a phone that could also be a tablet when you need it. It could fit in your pocket but it could be pulled apart like the old Torch of something retractable. I wonder if that would be too heavy. It would be cheaper than buying both. Let me see your thoughts. That could be a game changer? A device that could shrink of grow depending on the situation.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 03:55 PM
    Like an oversized slider? That would be a bit heavy, but it's an interesting concept.
    04-26-14 04:47 PM
    Well, they already have a phablet. Technically the z30 falls in the phablet specs. Just falls in.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    04-26-14 05:03 PM
    I like it, not concerned too much about the weight or size, a device slightly larger than the Z30 that would be fine with me.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    04-26-14 06:00 PM
    I know the Z 30 is large but I'm speaking of 7 inches like the playbook but able to transform back into the Z30 just be pushes pieces back under? It would be great for professionals for presentations and good for all ages but a 2 in 1 product. I love the z30 but needs to be bigger but able to shrink back to normal almost like the Transformers. I know crazy idea buy maybe it could be a new slightly different market. Not sure just an idea. We need BlackBerry not just to survive but be the innovator and market leader again in ideas not necessarily market.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:59 PM
    I just wish BlackBerry would release a huge phone, and a wireless classic 9900 style keyboard. It could hide away in the rear of the phone or something. That would be sweet

Sent from my former crackberry lovin fingiz
    04-27-14 07:24 PM
    I just wish BlackBerry would release a huge phone, and a wireless classic 9900 style keyboard. It could hide away in the rear of the phone or something. That would be sweet

That makes me think of a phone I had many moons ago, I believe it was called the switch blade. The screen was the phone, but when you needed the key pad, it would swivel up from behind the screen, like the knife of a "switch blade". There's also the sidekick. If anyone remembers that 2 way pager. The first "text" messaging system that I can remember.
    04-27-14 10:24 PM
    The switch blade idea is exactly the idea I was thinking of or something similar.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 10:51 PM
    I like both ideas. I can't see why blackberry won't implement something similar, detachable or otherwise.

04-28-14 12:54 AM
    Exactly I would like it to be one not detached so much as people forget the other piece not that detachable is bad. Can it be light enough also and good quality and price.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 08:05 AM
    Interesting.
    04-28-14 01:31 PM
    These ideas may seem innovative but its not very easy to make a product with mechanical parts and mechanical parts aren't always very efficient.
    04-28-14 01:38 PM
    Nemzy.. They don't just seem innovative, they are innovative. Also, mechanical parts are what makes up a phone from start to finish. Sorry. I disagree. =)

04-28-14 03:30 PM
    Nemzy.. They don't just seem innovative, they are innovative. Also, mechanical parts are what makes up a phone from start to finish. Sorry. I disagree. =)

Maybe you don't know what I mean when I say mechanical parts. I am talking about the form factor of the device. None of the current BB10 devices have mechanical builds in that respect. A BB10 slider would be mechanical. I believe that devices with moving parts can be temperamental if not done properly and also with age. But I must say the torch slider was quite decent.
    04-28-14 09:09 PM
    All I am trying to say is, is it possible? And if it is then BlackBerry should be the innovator. This was a thread to create discussion. I'm not an engineer just wanting BlackBerry to come up with something totally unique that people might want to buy.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 10:58 PM
    A phablet (5-6.5) inch with a solid slide keyboard would probably be as hard to carry around as a 7 inch tablet.

Although a 6-6.5 phablet with a slim keyboard case could be slightly more portable than a 7 inch, and _that_ isn't a bad idea actually. In fact its a good idea.

6.5 is small enough to fit in a mans jacket jacket pocket, and easily in a big purse, especially with slightly more slender bevels (you still need some), and perhaps a slightly adjusted screen ratio.

If a 6-6.5 inch phablet could be made with a really decent quality keyboard case as a single package. Of course it would make a useless phone. You'd need an earpiece. But thats not really the point, its a computer primarily. And of course, if you had a seperate smart phone (highly likely, 1 in 5 in the world already have a smart phone), you wouldn't need the 3g, it could just be a tablet.

But why not have a tablet thats slightly smaller, and paired with a keyboard case?

As a portable computer, that makes it easier to carry around - and rather than pretending to be a phone, when in fact being a phone is its last priority, it could just be for use as a computer, and you could either use bluetooth, or simply carry a smaller phone (such as a 4 inch android, or the curve 9630)

Everything 5.5-6.5 is desperately pretending to be a phone, and pocketable, when both notions are relatively ridiculous - wouldn't it make more sense to present it as a computer that can fit in a jacket inside pocket, or a purse, with a styley keyboard case? To be rather than be a phone badly pretending to be a tablet, you simply have a tablet/phablet, thats slightly smaller, but not pretending to be a phone?

You could even have a 6.6-6.8 inch with slightly reduced bevels, and adjusted screen ratio, designed to fit with a slim keyboard case into a mans average inside jacket pocket.

The tablet market is exploding much faster than the smart phone market did at first. Adoption rates are double. They'd be wise to make a solid tablet, or phablet, or two.

And as much as it wasn't your suggestion really, I think that there is something in this idea of a slightly smaller than 7 inch tablet/phablet, with a keyboard (case in this case). smart phones are usually less than ideal for use as a computer. The way you hold them, the screen size. If they are good as a computer, the don't have keyboards, and they are terrible as phones. Its like they got confused. Like everyone did really.

Not liking the slide idea, but loving the general notion of a under 7 inch tablet/phablet with a keyboard (flip, or case).

There are keyboard cases for 7 inch, and 9.7, but none for smaller. And they are often cheap, not that stylish or durable. If a smaller device (I think it could at least hit 6.6 with adjusted bevels and screen ratio), where to present as a tablet, rather than a phone - with a OEM keyboard case, maybe two sd card ports and two micro usb?, hdmi output, you know on the whole table side of the fence...

Not only would that be highly useful, but a tablet that someone can pull out of their jacket pocket _and_ potentially type on, and use for streaming presentations, and storing mass data - that would be highly useful to business users.

The problem with a hard keyboard, as it needs to be durable. That adds thickness. If you make the keyboard part of the case, its semi-flexible, and thus you don't need as much thickness (plus for a touch screen you want a case anyway)
    05-01-14 10:33 PM
    Jamie, I agree with you big time on the idea of a 'keyboard case'. I've been yapping about a detachable keyboard for years. In actually amazed no one has put one out there yet.

Jamie Brahm likes this.
    05-02-14 07:22 AM
    I still think that BlackBerry need to make a tablet about 5.9" with a stylus. Now that would sell like hotcakes!!

Posted via CB10
    Jamie Brahm likes this.
    05-02-14 11:13 PM
    Similar to this? Except working as a phone when it is a compact position?

http://walyou.com/flip-phone-with-an-expandable-screen/

Maybe have limited functions in that position (bbm, voice call emails, music control then full functions when it opens up?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    05-03-14 02:38 AM
    At this point I'd settle for them releasing a device they already announced, forgot something *new*.
    sibeans likes this.
    05-03-14 02:43 AM
    Personally, I'd like to see where BlackBerry goes with touch devices. I'd like something in the size of the Z30, or between the Z10 and Z30.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-03-14 04:25 AM