01-27-15 12:41 PM
208 ... 6789
tools
    I went back and found a couple of recent articles that are referencing rumors of a slider phone being announced soon.
    Looks like it's the new hybrid device that they're referring to.
    If that's the case, I'm disappointed. I'd take the slider in a heartbeat. Based on what I have seen of the hybrid design, I don't think I'd be interested, largely because it wouldn't be offering a full physical keyboard.
    I agree, releasing a slider with a shrunken keyboard seems pointless, but maybe the cool factor will outweigh the lost efficiency in having to use it like a passport keyboard. It would be great if the patent design was just a smoke screen while they worked on a normal slider, maybe they are looking to incorporate that type of mechanism into a tablet device instead.

BB for Life
    Tim Heard likes this.
    01-19-15 11:26 AM
    Yes. That would be very cool!

I agree, releasing a slider with a shrunken keyboard seems pointless, but maybe the cool factor will outweigh the lost efficiency in having to use it like a passport keyboard. It would be great if the patent design was just a smoke screen while they worked on a normal slider, maybe they are looking to incorporate that type of mechanism into a tablet device instead.

BB for Life
    01-19-15 05:12 PM
    I saw a lady with a Torch slider yesterday. She told the sales clerk that she was texting her son. I like the idea of a thin screen sliding upwards revealing a flat keyboard. This is why I like the idea of basing the new Torch on the Classic ( with updated inners) . I would keep the Classic's 1 to 1 screen and make it 2 to 1 or 1440 x 720. The keyboard would be from the Classic but the new Torch would avoid the old torch tray.
    01-19-15 10:46 PM
    I don't know the Z30's exact dimenstions, but that's what I'd go for with respect to the screen.
    For the keyboard, I'd go with the Q10 keyboard, or the Classic keyboard, without the belt. Really, there's no need it.
    Add an improved camera, good speakers like the Passport has, and a huge battery (since there will be ample space for one) and you've got a phone that will suit lots of needs.
    The best thing about it is that it would likely draw in more business users who have grown accustomed to having a large screen, but also want a keyboard. (All of the people who weren't swayed by the Passport's big, square screen and quirky keyboard.)

I saw a lady with a Torch slider yesterday. She told the sales clerk that she was texting her son. I like the idea of a thin screen sliding upwards revealing a flat keyboard. This is why I like the idea of basing the new Torch on the Classic ( with updated inners) . I would keep the Classic's 1 to 1 screen and make it 2 to 1 or 1440 x 720. The keyboard would be from the Classic but the new Torch would avoid the old torch tray.
    01-20-15 07:41 AM
    Z3 LTE (RIO)

Slider or Hybrid Slider

Hero All Touch

Passport 2

New Tablet

Sure is a lot of speculation about what BlackBerry may release this year. Chen announced the Classic last February..... can you buy one yet at your local retailer? Passport has been launched for four months now... but again only some have access to it.
    01-20-15 08:16 AM
    Yeah. ... Slow to get things to market.
    That's not purely a Blackberry issue, but it definitely is a valid criticism.
    That said, if I had solid information that a slider phone was in the works ... I'd definitely get impatient ... but I'd also be very encouraged. I know that Blackberry's ultimate survival really doesn't hinge on devices, but I think a slider phone is sort of a no-brainer when it comes to one of the devices that should be in the works.

Z3 LTE (RIO)

Slider or Hybrid Slider

Hero All Touch

Passport 2

New Tablet

Sure is a lot of speculation about what BlackBerry may release this year. Chen announced the Classic last February..... can you buy one yet at your local retailer? Passport has been launched for four months now... but again only some have access to it.
    01-20-15 10:19 AM
    I know that Blackberry's ultimate survival really doesn't hinge on devices, but I think a slider phone is sort of a no-brainer when it comes to one of the devices that should be in the works.
    Exactly!

A Torch classic should have been released alongside the Classic IMO. That way they could get legacy users who want the Bold/Curve form factor, and attract those that have become accustomed to a larger screen with a new slider. People have become accustomed to large screens so give us a large screen and a keyboard again!

BB for Life
    01-20-15 03:05 PM
    Exactly!

A Torch classic should have been released alongside the Classic IMO. That way they could get legacy users who want the Bold/Curve form factor, and attract those that have become accustomed to a larger screen with a new slider. People have become accustomed to large screens so give us a large screen and a keyboard again!

BB for Life
    and not a large screen and a squinky keyboard.
    01-20-15 03:29 PM
    What is the functionality of a pivoting screen? I am trying to understand the end result of this design.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 02:11 AM
    What is the functionality of a pivoting screen? I am trying to understand the end result of this design.

Posted via CB10
    With this design the keyboard is stored inside of the phone so it can have a slimmer profile as well it tucks underneath the screen so it has a 16.9 aspect ratio rather than a square screen like the passport or classic.

Loving my Passport!
    01-23-15 10:52 AM
    I have no idea what squinky means, but I agree with you. :-)

and not a large screen and a squinky keyboard.
    01-23-15 12:23 PM
    With this design the keyboard is stored inside of the phone so it can have a slimmer profile as well it tucks underneath the screen so it has a 16.9 aspect ratio rather than a square screen like the passport or classic.

Loving my Passport!
    Right, Thank you. That's what I'm understanding as well, but why does it need to pivot on an axis instead of staying stationary?

Can this phone stand upright or does it pivot so its easier to hold and type due to the larger screen size?

Some of the diagrams I have seen looks like the keyboard can flip to almost a 90 degree angle.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 12:36 PM
    The Torch never had a square screen. The issue here is ergonomics. Is it better to have a thin layer of glass to move up from the phone base that sits in the palm of your hand or to balance the phone to put weight to the bottom of the phone for a hybrid device. Presumably BlackBerry would test both types of devices. It has to work well. The traditional slider can work well but we do not know about this new type.

I am not sure that this new device has a very large market. Most people prefer all touch devices.
    01-23-15 12:50 PM
    The Torch never had a square screen. The issue here is ergonomics. Is it better to have a thin layer of glass to move up from the phone base that sits in the palm of your hand or to balance the phone to put weight to the bottom of the phone for a hybrid device. Presumably BlackBerry would test both types of devices. It has to work well. The traditional slider can work well but we do not know about this new type.

I am not sure that this new device has a very large market. Most people prefer all touch devices.
    The beauty of this design is you can use it like an all touch device if you choose. And the thickness is kept to a minimum.

Loving my Passport!
    01-23-15 02:32 PM
    Except that the way they have it designed, they will be relying on a Passport-style virtual 4th row to supplement they keyboard, rather than providing a full physical keyboard. The beauty of a true slider phone is that you get both a full touch screen and a full physical keyboard.

Honestly, even if this new design offered a full physical keyboard, it seems more likely to me that there would be breakdowns associated with the new design than with a traditional slider design.

Right now I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad Ultrabook that is amazingly thin for a laptop. I think that if they can accomplish a thin/light laptop like this and others, a reasonably thin slider shouldn't be an issue. The other issue, as we have seen with the new iPhones, is that there comes a point in which a device can be *too* thin, and not sturdy enough. I'll gladly take more thickness for a fully functional slider phone with a complete, sturdy keyboard and a large touchscreen. ... I want a device that's useful, and I don't care if some 19 year old complains that it's too thick or that it can't be used with one hand.

The beauty of this design is you can use it like an all touch device if you choose. And the thickness is kept to a minimum.

Loving my Passport!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-23-15 03:46 PM
    As far as I can tell this new device will have a 5.5 inch screen. This new design might be better if the device is that large. I have not used a Passport very much so others would have to say if the Passport keyboard is hampered by being so close to the bottom of the device. The AT&T model extended the bottom of the Passport somewhat.

Personally, I would rather have a 5 inch 16:19 Passport design than a 5.5 inch "hybrid". I would even prefer a 4.7 inch 16:19 Bold typo design more. I also would prefer a 4.7 inch traditional torch design. I am just not into huge phones.
    01-23-15 05:45 PM
    This is an interesting design. But in order for it to properly work, the QWERTY row of keys that does not fold away needs to be used as short cut keys, when the rest of the keyboard is hidden away.

There should also be a digital BlackBerry keyboard popping out whenever you want to type.
    As soon as the 2 physical rows appear, the digital keyboard is no more and the short cut keys are no more.

This way you end up having the best of both worlds.

I like how BlackBerry is pushing forward with interesting unique innovations. But in the meantime, we still need a Z10 and Z30 refresher. Now that inventory is being controlled properly.
    Many Z10 , Z30 and Q5 owners are asking for them.

Posted by Q5
    01-24-15 07:53 AM
    This is an interesting design. But in order for it to properly work, the QWERTY row of keys that does not fold away needs to be used as short cut keys, when the rest of the keyboard is hidden away.

Posted by Q5
    That's what I'm thinking too. The one row staying visible leads me to believe its for shortcuts and other gestures. Ahhhh BlackBerry is listening.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 02:56 PM
    I'll be disappointed if after the long wait for a BB10 slider all we get is a passport like compromise keyboard without full BB classic keyboard and toolbelt. If they put out both devices, then there is choice, but I can't choose another device with problematic Passport keyboard.
    01-24-15 03:28 PM
    What sort of problems are you having with the Passport keyboard? I was thinking of buying one.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 06:36 PM
    I'll be disappointed if after the long wait for a BB10 slider all we get is a passport like compromise keyboard without full BB classic keyboard and toolbelt. If they put out both devices, then there is choice, but I can't choose another device with problematic Passport keyboard.
    "Problematic Passport keyboard?" huh?
    That's news to me.
    Do tell.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    01-25-15 06:00 AM
    Why on earth would you want a Tellbelt? The Classic Keyboard is great, and is quite familiar to existing BOLD devices. The Passport keyboard is different, for sure, but offers a very unique experience, something that when you do get the hang of it, you won't want to put down anymore. It's arguably the best physical keyboard on a BlackBerry to date.

Let me ask, would you choose a BlackBerry Hybrid smart phone or a Samsung Galaxy SX running BB10?
    New patent for a hybrid device-samsung-galaxy-x1.jpg
    01-25-15 06:33 PM
    I'd really like to see BB10 running on Galaxy hardware, both Note and regular. Since BlackBerry can't release all touch hardware regularly, then this is the perfect thing IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    nt300 likes this.
    01-25-15 08:28 PM
    Let me ask, would you choose a BlackBerry Hybrid smart phone or a Samsung Galaxy SX running BB10?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung-Galaxy-X1.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	329707
    I wouldn't mind a Samsung device like a Note or Galaxy running BB10, just remove those buttons on the bottom!
    01-26-15 12:56 AM
    I wouldn't mind a Samsung device like a Note or Galaxy running BB10, just remove those buttons on the bottom!
    The standard Samsung buttons could be repurposed to bb ones.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 08:02 AM
208 ... 6789